Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Incoherence posted:

The Game Boy games had a much smaller set of possible egg paths and IIRC the speedrun just devised a route through the egg that covered all the possible egg paths.

It's been a while since I saw a run for that but if I remember right the Egg Path there was something weird like it was always the same and not randomized until you first entered the library. So if you avoid that you know the route.

I... *think* I'm not making that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hopefully all the y7 incentives get met so we get more froob in our lives

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Good lord, the superarrow strats on this MM5 run. Really tight placement.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I remember a Mega Man 5 race where one of the runners had Beat and the other didn't and the Beatless lost all their advantage to bad Wily RNG. Lesson is: get Beat!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it still tickles me that like a dragon's entire combat system was literally an april fools joke that got out of hand

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Turn based RPGs are boring but I like the Yakuza series and this guy is a good runner, so it's a mixed bag

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta hand it to this one Yakuza guy who summons pigeons with his magic broom and burps smelly foul stench on his enemies.

I never played any of the games and I was recommended to start from Yakuza 0, so I imagine I'll be doing that sometime when I have more time to start going through my backlog.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
0 doesn't play anything like LaD in combat, but the same silly heart and goofiness is present. You can skip right to LaD if you love turn-based, but 0 is such a treat in every way.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yakuza 7 is a gift. I love the whole yakuza series (haven't even played all of em but I've played enough that the whole series is a favorite).

IMO I'd skip straight to 7 though, I think it's the best in the series. Though 0 and the kiwamis and stuff are great starting points too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This is pushing me to finally start LaD, even though I wanted to give Kiwami a spin first.

TeaJay posted:

I never played any of the games and I was recommended to start from Yakuza 0, so I imagine I'll be doing that sometime when I have more time to start going through my backlog.

Just block off 80-100 hours of your life and get ready to have a blast. A big bunch of goofy, fun mobster hijinks wrapped around a deadly serious, hard-boiled tale of brotherhood and betrayal. 0 uses the old Yakuza system of 3D martial arts combat, which is...fine, but it's the overall experience that pulls you in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't care about Yazkuza at all but I have to say I love the absurdity of the turn based RPG set in bog standard modern day.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care about Yazkuza at all but I have to say I love the absurdity of the turn based RPG set in bog standard modern day.

it's one of the few settings that can really get away with it, too, since all the past games have the same kind of over-the-top quasi-magical realism that makes stuff like summoning a swarm of pigeons out of the ether completely normal

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait a minute this combat is just LISA with a high budget :thunk:

I like it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yakuza 7 is so grindy even the speedrun has to grind

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wouldn't really call the game grindy but like, tons of jrpg speedruns have big grinds in them? Exp routing is like the main thing in alot of JRPGs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The battle arena isn't super grindy honestly, unless you think "grind" means "fighting the same fight more than once". The battle arena not only gives you xp but it also gives you lots of money and most importantly there are challenges to complete that give incredibly good rewards like high end weapons and armor and accessories. It doesn't take too long to get the whole party up to where you need them for Majima/Saejima so it's not really painful

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

There are so many Yakuza games it is daunting to know where to start, so I never did.

But holy poo poo, Like a Dragon looks incredibly my poo poo and I'm a huge idiot for never checking it out.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Steam sale, go.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

"Resist"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Colorspray posted:

There are so many Yakuza games it is daunting to know where to start, so I never did.

But holy poo poo, Like a Dragon looks incredibly my poo poo and I'm a huge idiot for never checking it out.
Like a Dragon is amazing if you like JRPG-style combat.

The other Yakuza games are also good, but they play very differently. They're more like action-brawlers.

Agent355 posted:

Steam sale, go.
Like a Dragon is also on Game Pass, if that's an option for you!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly I'm amazed that the team comp I ended up using, as well as all the skills I ended up relying on, are what the speed run ends up using.

Most of the time I feel like RPG speedruns end up focusing on things I slept on, but not so much here. This is just what my playthrough looked like.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

definitely gonna grab a month of game pass and try LaD out, looked like a pretty fun JRPG overall

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that was a fun run but i was not entirely sold on the game until CRUSTACEAN DAMNATION, now i need to play it

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Man I've missed in-person GDQs.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I have questions about the international re-streams. How does that work? Is it just someone commenting on the run in their own words and own language? Is it more of a translation of the English stream? Something else entirely?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravus posted:

Man I've missed in-person GDQs.

i'm hoping for a return to a packed house by next year, although i'm not hedging my bets on it quite yet

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

WhiteHowler posted:

Like a Dragon is amazing if you like JRPG-style combat.

The other Yakuza games are also good, but they play very differently. They're more like action-brawlers.

Like a Dragon is also on Game Pass, if that's an option for you!

Yakuza 3-7 are all on gamepass

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that was a fun run but i was not entirely sold on the game until CRUSTACEAN DAMNATION, now i need to play it

I never quite knew where to fall on the Yakuza games but the general consensus seems "they own a whole lot"

Side Bar, can anyone find a link to the Tal Tal Heights remix they are using? I did a quick look on OCRemix and couldn't find it but it might just be me being daft.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Side Bar, can anyone find a link to the Tal Tal Heights remix they are using? I did a quick look on OCRemix and couldn't find it but it might just be me being daft.

Is it this one? https://soundcloud.com/ocremix/07-tal-tal-future-blind

If you can't find a remix on standard OCR, odds are it came from one of their multi-artist collab albums https://sirens.ocremix.org/

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"BOWSER REVOLUTION!

That is our wealth now!"

:lol:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Vermain posted:

i'm hoping for a return to a packed house by next year, although i'm not hedging my bets on it quite yet

Yeeeaaaah, unfortunately there's not really any evidence that this could be the case from an epidemiological perspective, but cultural norms might shift to that point by next year regardless of the state of the pandemic, so who knows.

Jedi Outcast is going to be completely, hilariously busted, isn't it?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kestral posted:

they have run this before at gdq, and very yes

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kestral posted:

Let's ask CovertMuffin

He says: "PFWAHAHAHAHA"

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Is it this one? https://soundcloud.com/ocremix/07-tal-tal-future-blind

If you can't find a remix on standard OCR, odds are it came from one of their multi-artist collab albums https://sirens.ocremix.org/

Yep that is it. bLind always makes a jam, thank you for the link!

Kestral posted:

Yeeeaaaah, unfortunately there's not really any evidence that this could be the case from an epidemiological perspective, but cultural norms might shift to that point by next year regardless of the state of the pandemic, so who knows.

CovertMuffin owns and is going to break this game in the best way possible.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

PFWAHAHAHAHA

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Muffin on deck, lets go.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I loved the Jedi games back in high school. It's nice that they're a mainstay in GDQ

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I don't remember poo poo about this game before you get the lightsaber

Or playing without dismemberment turned on

Really I just played the arena mod where waves of enemies rushed you while Smack My Bitch Up played on a loop

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I mainly played multiplayer in JKA and tried to flipkick people into lava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Professor Wayne posted:

I mainly played multiplayer in JKA and tried to flipkick people into lava

Kickbanned for not following proper duel etiquette (bowing, etc)