Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jackhunter64 posted:

lol if you have third rail, overhead 25kv or bust.

Overhead lines are probably mostly immune to bikes and scooters, but they have their own enemies...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4hL3TgRztE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wolrah posted:

Overhead lines are probably mostly immune to bikes and scooters, but they have their own enemies...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4hL3TgRztE

*This video has been falsely age restricted by the sensitive Left Wing Liberal snowflakes at YouTube that don't agree with Right Wing Conservative creators like me*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“A mine I used to work in used methyl mercaptan as part of their emergency alert system. When there was a situation that required everyone to t report into the refuge chambers underground, a 10lb bottle of this stuff was dumped into the fresh air supply for the mine. I felt sorry for the person who had to release it.”

From

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLOd9fPkXo

via Dangerous Chemistry thread.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Now I wanna see a forklift do the redbull flutag where the "pilot" is on a pallet with the forks at full mast.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mercaptan is also the odorizing agent added to natural gas. That stuff is concentrated nasty, so much so that in a prior cyber security job, we dreamed up multiple attack scenarios that focused on mercaptan specifically. I'm not sure what happened with that proposal.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Not sure of its OSHA quality but it seemed to fit here better than anywhere else I roam.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ChesterJT posted:

Not sure of its OSHA quality but it seemed to fit here better than anywhere else I roam.

I'm on the brakes, and the gas

I'm on the clutch, the brakes and the gas

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think a third gas pedal in the middle might be nice

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
All I see

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
sorry

not sorry

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
but what of oshtragoths

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Granny accelerating, not double-gassing like you should

*ohh* *ohh*

lol if you wouldn't double-gas when overtaking etc.

also why I stopped by:

:eyepop: I love the design, red and gold is very snazzy but the actual consequence seems bad

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Nenonen posted:

but what of oshtragoths

I appreciate this post.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Granny accelerating, not double-gassing like you should

*ohh* *ohh*

lol if you wouldn't double-gas when overtaking etc.

also why I stopped by:

:eyepop: I love the design, red and gold is very snazzy but the actual consequence seems bad

Is this a warning for that horse from The Cell?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Do not enter the red Cube rooms

Vakal
May 11, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Reminds me of the Break Room from You're Pretty Face is going to Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg61NTpiy3Y

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/UqmWXEF.mp4

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
before anyone gets mad I think the lawnmower is off.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

General Probe posted:

Didn't they get rid of that ride? I only ever got to do it once a a kid ☹️

yeah the Earthquake ride at universal studios is gone now, it ruled

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Ror posted:

I remember that ride, you could feel the heat from the tanker truck or whatever when it exploded!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tangentially OSHA, I got hit by a car while biking to work (completely their fault) and landed on my wrists, and after that I got super bad carpal tunnel while playing videogames, especially when having to push in the thumb stick. I got that controller so that I could remap the thumb stick buttons to my ring fingers and it's a thousand times less strain.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Things seen this week during structural assessments!
https://imgur.com/gallery/WjAADO4

No dead animals this time, sorry again about the last link, this account is actually good I swear.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BnkbSTu.mp4

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So when does SCOTUS rule against rare earth magnets?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ror posted:

The Earthquake ride is still at Hollywood, I was just there in January :)

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
This seems to fit here...

https://i.imgur.com/3JYPgm7.mp4

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I know nothing about MRI's but can't they just turn it off?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

lol. lmao. and let out the magic gaseous vapor that powers it?? are you crazy

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lookup "decommissioning mri" for examples ;)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dbQxyrhZ2A
wanted to see it myself again

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

And stop scanning people with the MRI machine that just ate a handgun? We're running a hospital here, not a good ideas warehouse!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

They use superconducting magnets, so you don't just "turn them off." The current keeps flowing indefinitely.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Deteriorata posted:

They use superconducting magnets, so you don't just "turn them off." The current keeps flowing indefinitely.

Isn't this what the 'quench' mentioned above does though? Or are they still intensely magnetic even without the helium supercooling them? I'm surprised those guys got their ratchet straps(?) out in that video with so few hands. Thought I remembered seeing a video where like a 10lb weight on a cable is held taught in mid-air several feet back from the device.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

thinking about a guy who got fired on his first week using an air compressor to launch a plasic bottle (the bottle exploded and it was assumed to be a product exploding or machine failing and the entire plant came down to see what this guy did)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't this what the 'quench' mentioned above does though? Or are they still intensely magnetic even without the helium supercooling them? I'm surprised those guys got their ratchet straps(?) out in that video with so few hands. Thought I remembered seeing a video where like a 10lb weight on a cable is held taught in mid-air several feet back from the device.

Well, yeah. They don't shut it off by turning off the electricity, they shut it off by dumping the liquid helium so it warms up above its critical temperature and loses its superconductivity. Only then does the circuit start burning off the electricity through resistance.

So shutting it off isn't a particularly practical operation.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

My understanding is that a quench is a "we do this maybe once or twice over the entire life of the unit" kind of thing- very carefully supervised rare occasions (like "we are moving the MRI unit to another hospital") or an emergency situation only.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MRI magnets are gigantic slabs (some up to 30 tonnes!) of magnetized iron bent into a precise shape. There is no turning them off, they aren't electromagnets. An electromagnet of the strength needed to be used for that kind of imaging would probably gently caress with other things, and also use enough power to run a small town.

Oh yeah and the MRI magnets have to sit in tanks of liquid helium to keep them cold enough to work properly, that's the other big part of the problem. There's a reason MRI scans are expensive even if you cut through all the insurance bullshit.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 29, 2022

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

and helium doesn't just grow on tree ya know

it requires a second generation star to compress and knock hydrogen together and then go supernova to disperse the newly formed atoms. which is hard to come by these days

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

MRI magnets are gigantic slabs (some up to 30 tonnes!) of magnetized iron bent into a precise shape. There is no turning them off, they aren't electromagnets. An electromagnet of the strength needed to be used for that kind of imaging would probably gently caress with other things, and also use enough power to run a small town.

Oh yeah and the MRI magnets have to sit in tanks of liquid helium to keep them cold enough to work properly, that's the other big part of the problem.

I thought some MRIs are permanent magnets, and some are electromagnets (which are the ones needing helium).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Deteriorata posted:

Well, yeah. They don't shut it off by turning off the electricity, they shut it off by dumping the liquid helium so it warms up above its critical temperature and loses its superconductivity. Only then does the circuit start burning off the electricity through resistance.

So shutting it off isn't a particularly practical operation.

You can't super-conduct in here, this is a warm room!