Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

DoctorJones posted:

i can't help but notice my lack of beta invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Junker Queen is cool. Not having Rio in the map rotation sucks tho

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

DoctorJones posted:

i can't help but notice my lack of beta invite

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I feel bad for any person insane enough to main Symmetra

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get why Sym got destroyed by the nerf bat. It's not like she was really ever being played. Why even take away the ammo refill when there's only two tanks who have shields?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't get why Sym got destroyed by the nerf bat. It's not like she was really ever being played. Why even take away the ammo refill when there's only two tanks who have shields?

Seriously. Just by the fact that the game is 5v5 instead of 6v6, she was already indirectly nerfed to oblivion without any direct character changes even being made. She thrives in OW1 in scenarios where she can put pressure on the enemy tanks with her primary fire and force them to fight at which point you can either burn a tank, or go for some cheeky backline kills. One fewer tank, fewer shields in general, and a faster pace makes that scenario never happen. If you do somehow front line against the enemy tank long enough on her to charge up fully, the enemy tank will just not even give any level of poo poo with 2 supports focus healing them. Junker Queen and Orisa just run at her and instantly delete her. Rein's improved mobility when charging makes it difficult to safely take an angle to apply pressure. Winston is still a nightmare to deal with. She is still somewhat effective against D.va, Sig, Hog, Zarya, but taking an aggressive position in the same way you would as OW1 is much less safe, and the tank is way more likely to simply completely tank her entire maxed out DPS long enough to deal with her.

I did get a bunch of POTGs on her today despite the nerfs, but it was really tough to do so with the right click being ABSOLUTELY worthless; it's harder to hit, slower to charge, and you can't assassinate people in the back by TP dancing with it anymore. I'm somewhere in the diamond range equivalent of comp skill level where it is unlikely a duel target will miss a series of shots, and she can't really go head to head to take a duel with any character anymore (except maybe Moira) or you will absolutely lose a DPS race. You can't one shot a tracer with a charged orb+melee. You have to rely completely on the enemy team being disjointed in the chaos of a fight and flank with turrets + primary to do make any meaningful solo play with her.

If I could change things, I'd give her like 33%-50% more range and faster ramp for primary and maybe 25 more shields. I don't know what the hell to do with her alt fire, honestly, changing it back to the way it was before is probably the best. Maybe have a fully charged shot fire exactly as it did previously, but have it shrink and lose damage after a short distance, but gain speed and curve slightly towards the nearest target. That would give her some chase down. The TP life span could stay similar to the change but it should probably reset to 5 seconds anytime someone uses it and the current duration is <5 seconds until despawn. These changes are probably lousy and wouldn't even help much just to the game being fundamentally different.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Healing turrets please

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's possible sym received an overall buff with the changes...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

for reference, pharah rockets are 35m/s and soldier rockets are 50m/s

her ammo increase is strictly better in any situation there's not a barrier

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's one of the most powerful abilities in the game and there's one less target and one less tank now

It's also a tiny projectile that's easy to miss.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I would personally like to see symmetra portals behave like Portal portals but only for her and her right click/turrets and then balance her around that but :shrug:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

it's possible sym received an overall buff with the changes...

No, it isn't. She gained 30 ammo but lost part of her tank busting kit, which was already mostly negated by OW2 existing. We can say for the sake of the argument that's a tradeoff, even though it really isn't.

Her right click is in no way better. For it to be a side grade it would have to at least retain the damage/charge time. Instead, it lost damage, takes longer to charge, and is harder to hit with due to the size nerf. You could argue that the faster movement speed is a bit of a buff, but it comes with the size loss and is still a slow-moving projectile in a game full of hitscan heroes that can delete other heroes in less time than it would take for a fully charged, 90 damage new sym orb to even reach a target. 90 damage is mind bogglingly bad for a projectile that is substantially more difficult to hit someone with then mouse over and clicking them. If you think this doesn't sound awful, consider that Stevoo (who is consistently top 100 every season as a mostly Sym player in OW1) was making the comparison of how worthless this was today on stream by switching to Pharah and playing her in the same way you would Sym trying to land right clicks, IE no flying allowed. It's basically the same way these orbs feel except that rockets actually do 120 damage.

The TP change is two nerfs: a range nerf, again not sure why this was necessary, and a utility nerf since you can't just leave it at spawn to allow teammates faster return to the point in an overtime control point scenario, or constant access to high ground from the backline. For the cost of these two pretty significant nerfs, you get a change that MIGHT have a small benefit in niche situations in that her TP is faster to place and the CD could be up slightly faster from time of destruction in some scenarios when it doesn't get destroyed immediately. Actually, I forgot, it is three nerfs because TP health was also slashed by 1/3.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

doubling the projectile speed to much faster than pharah rockets is a huge change and it might take a while to shake out how the balance chips fall

I suspect ground pharah might be severely underrated b/c it requires a lot of precision people haven't bothered to get good with to land ground rockets

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hell. i say just increase the speed so her right click is hit scan and half the damage again. then just half the damage again from there and keep halving until it folds over into heal values, and then start buffing it from there, until shes a support.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just giving symmetra's left and right click an additional heal and sticking her on support could be cool too

make her turrets heal too

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

doubling the projectile speed to much faster than pharah rockets is a huge change and it might take a while to shake out how the balance chips fall

I suspect ground pharah might be severely underrated b/c it requires a lot of precision people haven't bothered to get good with to land ground rockets

Yeah, but they don't DO anything. Even if it was 60/60 bringing it back to the 120 it was before, I assure you some people would probably still prefer the old orb over the new one. at 45/45, they are just pitiful. There aren't really too many scenarios where the splash damage is going to do anything meaningful (maybe a grav or something) and it still has to be charged for 1.2 seconds between shots. 1.2 seconds is a significant amount of time, and 30 damage is very significant. Meaningful Examples:

Orb+Melee would kill tracer before, doesn't now.

charge-TP-orb, charge-orb, or charge-TP-orb ,TP. charge-TP-orb doesn't kill 200 health heroes anymore, and would take longer to execute even if it did. The speed doesn't really make the orb any more or less viable in these bread and butter combos because it lost size which makes it harder to hit in some ways.

Remember in the early days of OW1 when widow could body shot kill some targets, and how significant a small damage nerf was back then? Well, this is a slightly larger nerf on something far less oppressive.

Also, healing turrets aren't anywhere near as good as you think, lol.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
It's very obvious all the Sym changes are to encourage her engaging more in on the frontline, hence the teleporter now being more combat trick focused instead of set-and-forget, and turrets coming out faster but not speed de-buffing as much. Not agreeing with the changes nor do I think they'll stick long-term, there will be a payload of tweaks in the first few seasons as good/toxic meta gets figured out, and the whack-a-mole balance game starts up, but untill then Sym seems to be getting the short end of the stick.

Conversely (for the exact same reasons) they changed Junkrat's trap to not completely immobilize, turned out it needed further tweaking after beta, and then they just changed it back to what it was ow1 because.... effort? :shrug:

Personally just annoyed at the inconsistent approach between character re-development.

Jomo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 29, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it looks like theyre trying to make symmetra more flexible at range with the tradeoff of losing point blank burst

maybe they have to amp up some other part of her kit to get the balance right, but 25 -> 50 proj speed dramatically changes the number of scenarios where you can trivially react to the orb to dodge it

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jomo posted:

It's very obvious all the Sym changes are to encourage her engaging more in on the frontline, hence the teleporter now being more combat trick focused instead of set-and-forget, and turrets coming out faster but not speed de-buffing as much. Not agreeing with the changes nor do I think they'll stick long-term, there will be a payload of tweaks in the first few seasons as good/toxic meta gets figured out, and the whack-a-mole balance game starts up, but untill then Sym seems to be getting the short end of the stick.

Conversely (for the exact same reasons) they changed Junkrat's trap to not completely immobilize, turned out it needed further tweaking after beta, and then they just changed it back to what it was ow1 because.... effort? :shrug:

Personally just annoyed at the inconsistent approach between character re-development.

as a junkrat sub main, I was annoyed today by genji being able to shift through my trap completely. I don't know if this was a recent change, a bug, or what, as I have only been sub-maining junkrat for a couple of weeks and don't know some of the more specific interactions. I assume it wasn't supposed to happen, though.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

thats a bug, deploy time issue, or he was above the trap hitbox

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

as a junkrat sub main, I was annoyed today by genji being able to shift through my trap completely. I don't know if this was a recent change, a bug, or what, as I have only been sub-maining junkrat for a couple of weeks and don't know some of the more specific interactions. I assume it wasn't supposed to happen, though.

From the bug videos I've seen on youtube some characters were able to negate the trap debuff, but that's not a design issue with the redesign, that's just just a bug fix they need to properly deal with. More than likely they raised it as a bug internally, realised how much work it'd be to fix/test properly, and threw it all out the window due to being in crunch-time mode with the release date now set in stone.

I expect they'll either try re-implement this change in 6-12 months or completely change the ability.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Her right click was built for spamming chokes and shields and that's not happening nearly as often now. I think they wanted to make make it more useful for midrange fighting but the numbers are not there yet. She also has a blind spot where her left click won't quite reach but her right click is also useless.

BabyRyoga posted:

The TP change is two nerfs: a range nerf, again not sure why this was necessary, and a utility nerf since you can't just leave it at spawn to allow teammates faster return to the point in an overtime control point scenario, or constant access to high ground from the backline. For the cost of these two pretty significant nerfs, you get a change that MIGHT have a small benefit in niche situations in that her TP is faster to place and the CD could be up slightly faster from time of destruction in some scenarios when it doesn't get destroyed immediately. Actually, I forgot, it is three nerfs because TP health was also slashed by 1/3.

You can use the TP while the spawn animation still plays, it's both (a slightly worse) old TP and an instant movement ability now

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arzachel posted:

Her right click was built for spamming chokes and shields and that's not happening nearly as often now. I think they wanted to make make it more useful for midrange fighting but the numbers are not there yet. She also has a blind spot where her left click won't quite reach but her right click is also useless.

You can use the TP while the spawn animation still plays, it's both (a slightly worse) old TP and an instant movement ability now

You could do that before, it feels the same. (edit: but 1 second faster overall)

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 29, 2022

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

The greed is so overt with how they're giving access to this beta. Get immediate access if you BUY NOW, and we'll try to get everybody in by the 14th wink wink. Not that this is at all unheard of, I'm just saying given how dead OW1 has gotten I'd like to see them doing more to get people to stick around instead of business as usual. Then again, I guess I should get used to it since it's officially going F2P.

Glad to see Orisa being buffed generally in the notes, it was a little confusing to hear people say she was unkillable during first beta as helicopter can only do so much mitigation. Lightly nerfing the javelin throw is a good change too. My partner is irate about the Mercy GA change, and probably in part why we both haven't shelled out $40 yet. I'm indifferent as I don't really play Mercy and never got the super jump down to a science, but maybe there are some Mercy enjoyers out there who would like to share their thoughts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I saw on Twitter some people complaining about some new mechanic where when she runs out of flight juice or whatever it shoots her back up into the sky or something? Not super clear on it but I guess it's costing Mercy players rezzes on the beta

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Macaluso posted:

I saw on Twitter some people complaining about some new mechanic where when she runs out of flight juice or whatever it shoots her back up into the sky or something? Not super clear on it but I guess it's costing Mercy players rezzes on the beta

It was a compromise in the beta patch that took place of the EZ mode crouch cancel super jump. Instead the super jump happens automatically at end of a full GA flight I think lol. I haven’t been able play yet even though I have beta access :negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you complete your GA dash you get launched into the sky, which interrupts rez (and puts it on cooldown). Even without the rez interaction it's a weird change. I don't see it lasting, everyone seems to hate it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Never having bothered to learn how to fly, I feel like this is my time to shine

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol the streamer skin was a bone thrown to them since there’s no beta giveaway to boost viewers this time

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Countblanc posted:

If you complete your GA dash you get launched into the sky, which interrupts rez (and puts it on cooldown). Even without the rez interaction it's a weird change. I don't see it lasting, everyone seems to hate it.

Weird, should have just made it a "press space while GA'ing to super jump" and called it a day.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

dogstile posted:

Weird, should have just made it a "press space while GA'ing to super jump" and called it a day.

That’s been previously reserved for slingshot jump.

Then again, I believe they changed spacebar functionality to better control the super jump height, so they may have ruined slingshot jump too or at least shifted the timing.

I’m certain half of the frustration is legitimate, and half the frustration is muscle memory being broken. Don’t want to pay $40 to test for myself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I don't play mercy all that much, in my defence!

Malah
May 18, 2015

The GA changes thus far have been screwing with muscle memory without ending up meaningful improvements, but at least they're committing to trying different changes until they buff Mercy without breaking the physics engine.

I was somewhat resigned to seeing Mercy floating around in the skybox for the next six months.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't think anyone likes how they changed GA, hopefully it gets at least a band aid in the next patch

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm hoping they'll unfuck Sym

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

God, I still feel like I'm just throwing whenever I pick Ana. In OW1 I could get by with good positioning , in OW2 I'm either a sitting duck, or a miss a few shots and everyone dies. :smith:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I was really looking forward to Overwatch and I wasn't disappointed when it was released. Eventually my enthusiasm waned and I rarely start it for some arcade action. Will OV2 rekindle that fire? I like the graphical style, the diverse cast of characters, the accessible mechanics but I miss new maps, mode, skins, etc. Furthermore, anything competitive was almost unplayable with those long queues. Is OV2 worth it? Thanks!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You're welcome!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I was really looking forward to Overwatch and I wasn't disappointed when it was released. Eventually my enthusiasm waned and I rarely start it for some arcade action. Will OV2 rekindle that fire? I like the graphical style, the diverse cast of characters, the accessible mechanics but I miss new maps, mode, skins, etc. Furthermore, anything competitive was almost unplayable with those long queues. Is OV2 worth it? Thanks!

The mechanics have become slightly less accessible because with one less player it's more like a deathmatch ball with emphasis on aim, but it's still mostly the same. New maps, skins and characters are coming (unlike OW1), no word on new modes but yeah probably. Currently on the beta tank queues are long because everyone wants to play Junker Queen, and support queues are short because playing support is even more of a thankless chore than it was in OW1. There's a new fox-girl support coming out sometime so no doubt the times will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a new fox-girl support coming out sometime so no doubt the times will change.
I'm in!