Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BrianWilly posted:

It's not that the books don't show cracks in their so-called ideal society. The problem is that those cracks seem to originate from the flawed individuals in charge of things, instead of from the very basis of this ethnocentric society itself. Like, the ethnocentrism and isolationism in and of themselves should be the problems here but have been largely glossed over. I've been saying right from the outset that not nearly enough focus has been placed on Krakoa's supremecist views and segregationist outlook, and even now that still remains the case.

What we end up with, then, is the concluding thesis statement that Krakoa wooould be perfect.......if it weren't for that pesky Xavior or that pesky Moira or that pesky McCoy. This extremist state that uprooted an entire race of peoples and feeds them on a daily ration of mutant supremacist/human inferiority ideals would be totally fine as a concept if not for the shady backroom stuff that its officials indulge in. But...that backroom stuff is not actually the main problem here. The main problems -- the supremecist mindsets, the isolationist ethnostate -- have actually been displayed out in the open daylight, and have largely been celebrated by the story instead of being depicted as a cautionary tale. Stories like the Hellfire Gala and Planet-Sized X-Men absolutely depict how great it is that the X-Men are on Krakoa now and how it's something every downtrodden demographic should wish that they had.
I think the problem this bangs into is all the storylines where mutants have been systematically exterminated, enslaved, or both.

Like, you're not wrong, so much as that this is the cause of most of the celebratory aspects. All the crimes. The fantasy ideal is "gee, it would be swell if we could just be ourselves in our own place."

I don't think it would even be that interesting if the general response of the mutant community was "Yes, let's all die horribly rather than follow this course. Things will be better for future mutants, assuming they exist and are not pre-emptively de-mutanted if they arise naturally."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that took place before sixis, which featured a full on concentration camp for mutants run by the red skull.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that took place before sixis, which featured a full on concentration camp for mutants run by the red skull.
I'm imagining Charles and Erik going "Alright, THAT'S IT, Moira we're on board" after that one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Age of X-Man, just before Krakoa, also appeared to be a "mutants are mostly gone" scenario even though it actually wasn't, and the accompanying (dreadful) X-Men run had the government brutally cracking down on the people who hadn't vanished. That was clearly a direction mandated to set the table for Krakoa, though, so who can say if it counts.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Rosenberg Uncanny was really bad but I actually really liked most of the Age of X-Man minis. It's kind of weird to me that they didn't get bundled into a collection all together.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I cannot get over how great X-Men Red is and how much Ewing gets Magneto. Sunspot walks in, and:

Magneto immediately enters dad mode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

The Rosenberg Uncanny was really bad but I actually really liked most of the Age of X-Man minis. It's kind of weird to me that they didn't get bundled into a collection all together.

Yeah, same, I loved Age of X-Man! The X-Men have summered in a lot of alternate universe dystopias, but it felt fresh and interesting and, generally, like a thoughtful take on "bright dystopia", there was a lot of subtlety there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Age of X-Man is one of the most bizarre things ever published by the big 2. I think there's great parts. I think it has a lot of problems. But both the overall plot (Nate creates a "universe" where everyone is a mutant but he also has to create complex rules and lies about intimacy because he knows his world won't survive if the characters spend too much time together which DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A LONG TERM PLAN DUDE) and the substories and their conclusions (wine drinking on a theater roof, acting is lying anyway so I'll keep doing that even though I know the truth) are so loving weird it feels like an art student experiment marvel sponsored.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I thought we all agreed to never bring up sixis ever again

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Axis gave us Friendly Neighborhood Carnage, I will always treasure it for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was some other villain turned good with a decent mini. Hobgoblin maybe?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

I cannot get over how great X-Men Red is and how much Ewing gets Magneto. Sunspot walks in, and:

Maybe Magneto is telepathic after all. He reacts to how people view him: evil mutant terrorist? Tries to take over the world. My misguided brother in arms? Suddenly all about that chess and high brow literature. Substitute parent? Suddenly he's feeding you and tutting over the youth of today.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

That’s just called code switching

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sloth Life posted:

Maybe Magneto is telepathic after all. He reacts to how people view him: evil mutant terrorist? Tries to take over the world. My misguided brother in arms? Suddenly all about that chess and high brow literature. Substitute parent? Suddenly he's feeding you and tutting over the youth of today.

Magneto was Sunspot's schoolmaster when Xavier decided to gently caress off and go be a kept man with Lillandria in Shi'ar empire.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I love that iteration of Magneto. Dadneto is the best - running around tidying up after sloppy teenagers and asking how do they eat so much junk food.

Have they no sense of HOUSEPRIDE?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That run is so great. Magneto wasn't a perfect headmaster, but he was better than Xavier by a long shot, and that's even counting stuff that was out of his control, like New mutants tying in to Secret Wars II.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

danbanana posted:

Age of X-Man is one of the most bizarre things ever published by the big 2. I think there's great parts. I think it has a lot of problems. But both the overall plot (Nate creates a "universe" where everyone is a mutant but he also has to create complex rules and lies about intimacy because he knows his world won't survive if the characters spend too much time together which DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A LONG TERM PLAN DUDE) and the substories and their conclusions (wine drinking on a theater roof, acting is lying anyway so I'll keep doing that even though I know the truth) are so loving weird it feels like an art student experiment marvel sponsored.

I thought the main book was dumb and bad because the core premise just did not make any loving sense but every side book was incredible. A land of contrasts, as they say.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Superior Iron Man was fun, too

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It gave us “good” sabretooth which was also fun because his personality was the same, he just tried to kill only bad guys.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
X-Man/Nate Grey is a clone who woke up as a teenager and got flung into an alternate universe where his only romantic relationships were with an evil clone of his 'mom' and his alternate universe stepsister, not to mention not having a childhood or really any emotional connection to any interpretation of his parents, him creating an alternate reality where romantic and familial relationships were largely banned/erased makes a lot more sense than most alternate realities.

It was not a sustainable or pleasant alternate reality, but a logical and interesting one for a deeply damaged demigod to create.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wiegieman posted:

It makes sense to do it to Roberto especially, given the past Headmaster thing when 'Berto was a student. Great touch.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
X-Men Red is subdued, but good (again) this week. Magneto laying down the law with the Great Ring. Storm laying it down with greater galactic society. And some hypothetical measure of closure for Rockslide as well as a vision for the future of Wrongslide.

Plus Dick Rider might get a guest spot with the Brotherhood, which is awesome. I don't think the greater space gang at large have a book at the moment, and with Ewing at the helm, I kinda expect cosmic guest stars to show up with regularity in Red.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm really surprised that we got another issue of X-Men Red this month. And that it definitely clarified what happened on the Mags vs Tarn fight.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Caught up on Sabertooth, which seems to be the book to read if you want a well written exploration of Krakoa's sins. Eager to see how that shakes out and how it affects things in the long term.

Also happy to see Ewing explore resurrection and what it means in relation to leadership in X-Men Red. Regarding the guest-star, I'm surprised Wrongslide seems to be joining X-Men Red, if only because I had assumed the Siege Perilous from Knights of X would eventually be used to "fix" the Otherworld deaths. Though, I suppose we don't have a time-frame on when that will be found or if it would even work that way. Regardless, I'm happy someone is finally picking up that thread.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
X-Men Red was as compelling as ever, but what's with Mags referring to Forge as "our omega technopath"?

Not trying to rag on Forge or anything, but it's pretty weird to call him that, considering that he was the one specific example used to demonstrate someone who was not an omega class mutant in the infographic that lays out the updated standards for being omega class.

Is Mags going senile in his old age? Is this why he fears winter? :xd:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ewing and Hickman have different ideas of how powerful Forge is, I guess?

Edit: Forge did invent a gun that permanently depowers mutants, something no human has ever been able to do, and you know a lot have to have been trying. Best they can do is a necklace that only does it as long as someone is wearing it.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 30, 2022

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It impresses the rest of the great ring more than saying "our almost-omega-but-tony-stark-and-reed-richards-are-technically-just-as-good technopath" I suppose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Ewing and Hickman have different ideas of how powerful Forge is, I guess?

Edit: Forge did invent a gun that permanently depowers mutants, something no human has ever been able to do, and you know a lot have to have been trying. Best they can do is a necklace that only does it as long as someone is wearing it.

Reed Richards created something that depowers mutants. Like you could probably say that Reed, Doom, and maybe Stark could build what Forge could build.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Reed Richards created something that depowers mutants. Like you could probably say that Reed, Doom, and maybe Stark could build what Forge could build.

Reed made a thing that hid his son's X gene so he couldn't use Krakoa gates and he was able to temporarily depower his son, but the kid got better.

And the current cannon is that Franklin isn't even a mutant, so who the gently caress knows if it would work on anyone else with the x-gene.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I believe people liked it, yeah - as I recall he was basically a successful and obviously sleazy marketing guy who was also a public-facing open-identity superhero. Think Tony Stark but less in denial about being a shithead, I think.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, even rando human scientists at, like, CVS or whatever have managed to make a cure that depowers mutants. That probably shouldn't be the litmus test for technological supremacy.

It's just funny 'cuz it seemed for a while they'd finally cleared up what being omega actually meant since it had always been a bit vague before, but now we might just be back to tossing the term at anyone who's kinda good at something.

I dunno, Ewing is GOAT-tier but he also called Xavier the most powerful telepath in the universe in this issue which, like, wouldn't that make Xavier omega class as well?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, even rando human scientists at, like, CVS or whatever have managed to make a cure that depowers mutants. That probably shouldn't be the litmus test for technological supremacy.

It's just funny 'cuz it seemed for a while they'd finally cleared up what being omega actually meant since it had always been a bit vague before, but now we might just be back to tossing the term at anyone who's kinda good at something.

I dunno, Ewing is GOAT-tier but he also called Xavier the most powerful telepath in the universe in this issue which, like, wouldn't that make Xavier omega class as well?

I don't have the issue of HoX/PoX in front of me where they listed Omega mutants, but IIRC Jean Grey was listed as an Omega telepath, so again, I just think it's Ewing having different ideas about how powerful various mutants are than Hickman did. I doubt it's even intentional, like Ewing definitely read HoX/PoX but he might not have read it recently, and forgot some of the specifics.

Also, just because we have a concrete definition of a term doesn't mean our understanding of it doesn't change. Pluto used to be a planet, now it isn't, our definition of planet didn't change in between.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And it's just people tossing around that term to give an idea of how powerful someone is. Even if they're not technically omega mutants, you can still say that about some people which is basically a shorthand way to say "yeah this mutant is loving powerful so you better watch out".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember that time Richard Rider used the last of his strength to pull Annihilus' guts out through his mouth and save the universe? Remember all those times when he was able to casually open wormholes that could allow entire space fleets to cross space/time way faster than they would have otherwise? Remember that time him and Starlord stayed behind in a Lovecraftian universe where Life ran rampant to stop the Mad Titan from potentially doing another Infinity War type event, sacrificing themselves for the good of all for several real life years until Bendis randomly brought Starlord back (for movie synergy)? Remember how Nova had the entire Nova Force in the palm of his hand for years and was a one man army and practically a walking demigod?

Ewing remembers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"He stood when all else fell, and we remember" is such a raw line.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember that time Dick Rider came back from the War and talked to Iron Man after Civil War had just happened and was like "Iron Man there was a huge intergalactic war SPACE IS IN SHAMBLES rn" and Iron Man was like "but did u register tho" and Nova just hosed off forever because he couldn't handle how loving stupid America is right now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magneto referring to Forge as an "omega technopath" seems to me like Magneto deliberately fibbing to the Arakkii so they'll respect the memory ball and what Magneto's saying, given that Forge is neither a omega-level nor a technopath.

As far as Xavier being the most powerful telepath in the universe, that's an interesting idea, but he's not even the most powerful mutant telepath, and anyone with the Mind Gem should at least be potentially more powerful.

Also, over in X-Force they killed Quentin!? :( :( :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nova getting involved with the X-Men makes me think that Firestar won the X-Men poll, and we'll also see Justice show up somewhere.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Codependent Poster posted:

Nova getting involved with the X-Men makes me think that Firestar won the X-Men poll, and we'll also see Justice show up somewhere.

you have no idea how badly I want this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Endless Mike posted:

Magneto referring to Forge as an "omega technopath" seems to me like Magneto deliberately fibbing to the Arakkii so they'll respect the memory ball and what Magneto's saying, given that Forge is neither a omega-level nor a technopath.

As far as Xavier being the most powerful telepath in the universe, that's an interesting idea, but he's not even the most powerful mutant telepath, and anyone with the Mind Gem should at least be potentially more powerful.

Also, over in X-Force they killed Quentin!? :( :( :(

both Magneto and Storm were just lying is my take

also Sabretooth was great, Jean Grey looking directly at the reader is a great bit (reminded me of Superman turning to look at The Flash)