Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ravenfood posted:

Also I wonder what new mechanic they are giving Volkmar since I doubt he is part of the Elector race, given that he isnt an elector nor anywhere near the Empire.

Underway stance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Settra's start gonna be like:

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

jokes posted:

Underway stance

i figure he'll have something like Thorek, going around and liberating magical items, the blog post mentions he's on the hunt for dark artifacts. makes sense for him to be crusading, presumably he can purify these items and then use them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm expecting all demons to be a poo poo show because their T1 units are far better than everyone elses due to their small roster. I remember as cathay trying to fight that tzcheench faction with peasants and just getting stomped so i can only imagine how TK's will fair against 100 armor khorne warriors and a lord that will slaughter almost every other lord 1v1. If skarbrand had T1 cultists that were flagellants and the warriors were T2/3 then it wouldn't be so bad but putting the faction of chaff against the faction of blender infantry is gonna be hilarious.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Arghy posted:

I'm expecting all demons to be a poo poo show because their T1 units are far better than everyone elses due to their small roster. I remember as cathay trying to fight that tzcheench faction with peasants and just getting stomped so i can only imagine how TK's will fair against 100 armor khorne warriors and a lord that will slaughter almost every other lord 1v1. If skarbrand had T1 cultists that were flagellants and the warriors were T2/3 then it wouldn't be so bad but putting the faction of chaff against the faction of blender infantry is gonna be hilarious.

My stack of tier 1 skeleton chaff running into Skarbrand’s 19 blood letters.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Or, you know, just Skarbrand himself. Tomb Kings seem like a horrible matchup against Khorne, the faction which is entirely designed around entering a mass of low-tier chaff and coming out the other side stronger for it. I'm less sure about the other demon rosters; they might do decent work early but I don't think they have the top-to-bottom roster quality to deal with the more generalist Order factions once they get fully online. Hopefully that won't matter so much if the new victory conditions prevent forever-games.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
imagine being moors against tzeentch

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Check the map again, its Moops

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I can't imagine they'll keep the Kislev cities as single region provinces in IE, I wonder how that'll affect their economy.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Reik posted:

I can't imagine they'll keep the Kislev cities as single region provinces in IE, I wonder how that'll affect their economy.

You can just look at the maps they've shown, and it certainly seems like they are keeping the single region provinces that are in already. Province vs region lines are on the map, I've been scouring it quite a bit. There are a lot of interesting changes if you take a close look, such as in the The Silver Road area for the dwarves. The Great Desert of Araby and the Great Mortis Delta appear to be single settlement provinces now, the Barrows of Cuileux seems to have replaced orc mountain in french land, The Haunted Forest and Jungles of Chi'an are probably magical forests now, etc.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Reik posted:

I unironically want something like this or similar to WE's for dawi. It's karak or nothing baby! Karaks are pretty much 1 province buildings with minor settlements being nothing but resource buildings/landmarks and ranger posts. Make sacking minors pointless but more a nuisance with the karak being it's own province so to raid it you'd have to be within range of the garrison. Remove the defensive buildings and incorporate it into the karak itself. I'd rather fight a series of crazy siege battles at every karak than minor siege battles. Keep the minor settlements as unique defensive maps representing home turf advantage.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/twwh3-ie-starting-positions/

did someone post this and I missed it? Volkmar in Sudenburg is a big diff. his fire abilities should dunk on skeleboiz and has a natural ally in Repanse

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll finally play a proper Volkmar run, him stomping around in Khemri is a great change of pace.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I hope they leave in the thing where you have to sack some Kislevian cities

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/twwh3-ie-starting-positions/

did someone post this and I missed it? Volkmar in Sudenburg is a big diff. his fire abilities should dunk on skeleboiz and has a natural ally in Repanse

Yea, on the page before this one. The starting positions all seem really good. The badlands bloodbath having Skarbrand tossed into it is going to be wild.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
womp wom but I'm glad they are really switching it up from ME positions. bodes well for a lot of the old world factions

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Volkmar in Sudenburg.

Ghorst in Cathay.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

ghorsts milion zombie army against cathay would be cool

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

TaintedBalance posted:

The Great Desert of Araby and the Great Mortis Delta appear to be single settlement provinces now

Great Mortis Delta is the Black Pyramid's province, it's always been a single-settlement province (but now it appears to be annoyingly smack on the road from Khemri to Zandri due to the heavy geographic restructuring)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I used the randomized start pos in WH2 enough that I've become a bit jaded about start positions, if only because they end up impacting the actual gameplay a lot less than you'd really expect. There's not much difference between building an empire in the middle of a swamp vs a desert, except what you get to fight early game. Its a longstanding problem with the old total war games too, mind you, that they were at least able to cover up a bit by just making those kinds of areas just have larger spaces between settlements (also population, which never really worked, and then fertility/food, which did). The climate system feels like its missing around three parts from making it actually interesting.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 29, 2022

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I do wonder how Tomb Kings will feel in WH3, or at least Settra/Khalida. They have a lot of new threats around that all seem to hit them right in their weak points.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I used the randomized start pos in WH2 enough that I've become a bit jaded about start positions, if only because they end up impacting the actual gameplay a lot less than you'd really expect. There's not much difference between building an empire in the middle of a swamp vs a desert, except what you get to fight early game. Its a longstanding problem with the old total war games too, mind you, that they were at least able to cover up a bit by just making those kinds of areas just have larger spaces between settlements (also population, which never really worked, and then fertility/food, which did). The climate system feels like its missing around three parts from making it actually interesting.

Except that all games by definition will have an early game, so switching that up has a disproportionate effect.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I haven't played TK in a while, which of the non-Settras is funnest?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am a fan of arkhan the black since he gets quasi useful undead but his chariot floats.

Take that setra.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Going by the order posted on the blog post, tomorrow should be Lizardmen, right? I imagine most of them are staying put except for Oxyotl, although I'm curious about where they're going to put Nakai and Kroq'gar.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

n'kai gonna be wandering cathay

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They're also reorganising Sylvania into Northern and Southern, as opposed to the current E/W. Which is a good change; Western Sylvania being broken up by that lake makes Vlad+Izzy starts a bit of a pain.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I have the first and third game, any opinions on buying the second during the current steam sale? Wondering if there'll be an opportunity to get it cheaper before IE. IsThereAnyDeal suggests you can get it slightly cheaper from some sites: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/totalwarwarhammerii/info/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Azran posted:

Going by the order posted on the blog post, tomorrow should be Lizardmen, right? I imagine most of them are staying put except for Oxyotl, although I'm curious about where they're going to put Nakai and Kroq'gar.

If that is indeed the order we're getting them, yes. We'll see tomorrow. If that ends up being true, then WoC info dump at the end of the info dump, because they're getting their rework, so we'll likely get info on that as well.

EDIT: The badlands bowl memes keep coming:

Skarbrand vs. Greenskins is gonna be a fun matchup. Skarbrand vs. Tomb Kings is gonna be even more fun (although it makes me think that Settra's gonna have a very bad time). Still, buzzsaw faction surrounded by a bunch of things that want to get stuck into melee? Yep, that's gonna be a blast.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 29, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Except that all games by definition will have an early game, so switching that up has a disproportionate effect.

Its an effect in terms of the battles you fight but I wish the strategy layer had more going on. There's not much difference to wage a campaign against the living dead versus tiny angry men vs monocolor hell goblins. Itd be one thing if the strategy layer was this ultra pared down experience but there's a boat load of mechanics and systems going on, they just at the end of the day don't really do much.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
i mean, you do play slightly differently in that match up, if only because corruption means you take land from the vampires slower as it takes a bit longer to not have rebellions of skeletons coming for you. i wonder if they'll make recruitment cheaper or something for undead when it's high corruption, they spoke about how corruption would be changed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I went to Khorne's realm to collect the fourth soul. I was the first one there that cycle. None of the blue circles where you get the special weapons and replenishment were active. They had the info eyeball icons, and they showed what item should be there, but moving near them did nothing.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It's likely that the AI factions grabbed them all before you got there. It's rare to see all of them gone by the time I get there but usually they've already snagged one or two.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Levin posted:

I have the first and third game, any opinions on buying the second during the current steam sale? Wondering if there'll be an opportunity to get it cheaper before IE. IsThereAnyDeal suggests you can get it slightly cheaper from some sites: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/totalwarwarhammerii/info/

Getting Warhammer 2 for one third of the regular price is a good deal. Especially since just owning WH1 + WH2 opens up the mortal empires mega campaign in Warhammer 2, the combined map of WH1 and WH2. You can play dozens of factions on there, and since Warhammer 2 had like 5 years of DLC and patches, it's really stable, turn times are pretty low, and the mechanics are in a pretty good state.

We don't know yet whether the big immortal empires map for Warhammer 3 requires owning WH1 and WH2, but it's a possibility. If so, you definitely do want to get WH2. But even apart from that, you can likely get more than 100 hours of fun playtime with Warhammer 2 if you own Warhammer 1 already. So if you're a Total War or Warhammer fan, you definitely do want to get game 2. It's just a question whether you think WH2 could get an even higher discount than -66%.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I do believe it's confirmed you need 1 and 2 to play Immortal Empires in 3.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Getting Warhammer 2 for one third of the regular price is a good deal. Especially since just owning WH1 + WH2 opens up the mortal empires mega campaign in Warhammer 2, the combined map of WH1 and WH2. You can play dozens of factions on there, and since Warhammer 2 had like 5 years of DLC and patches, it's really stable, turn times are pretty low, and the mechanics are in a pretty good state.

We don't know yet whether the big immortal empires map for Warhammer 3 requires owning WH1 and WH2, but it's a possibility. If so, you definitely do want to get WH2. But even apart from that, you can likely get more than 100 hours of fun playtime with Warhammer 2 if you own Warhammer 1 already. So if you're a Total War or Warhammer fan, you definitely do want to get game 2. It's just a question whether you think WH2 could get an even higher discount than -66%.

It is confirmed that you need WH1 and 2 to play Immortal Empires in WH3 (it's been known and confirmed pretty much since the game was announced).
However you can join another persons multiplayer game of Immortal Empires if you don't own any of the previous ones.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They probably had to put Nurgle in quarantine on his own little island like they did, it would be terrible for any faction to have to start next to him and it would be a race to rush him down before your skin melted off.

Tomb kings going to have to pray Skarbrand is too busy with orc murder to ever glance their way because I don't think they have a single answer to Skarbrand before their slow-as-hell growth kicks in for better units, you could probably steer Skarbrand immediately into Settra and kick him out of his capital from turn 1, tomb kings usual answer to a big early game monster is to sacrifice skeleton spearmen one at a time and tire it out but Skarbrand will actually get stronger from that.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They probably had to put Nurgle in quarantine on his own little island like they did, it would be terrible for any faction to have to start next to him and it would be a race to rush him down before your skin melted off.

Tomb kings going to have to pray Skarbrand is too busy with orc murder to ever glance their way because I don't think they have a single answer to Skarbrand before their slow-as-hell growth kicks in for better units, you could probably steer Skarbrand immediately into Settra and kick him out of his capital from turn 1, tomb kings usual answer to a big early game monster is to sacrifice skeleton spearmen one at a time and tire it out but Skarbrand will actually get stronger from that.

Being sandwiched between Kairos and Skarbrand will not be a good vibe. They are both gonna be very high priority to eliminate early.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think they did say they were reworking corruption for Immortal Empires so maybe daemons will have a few speedbumps to deal with before they roll over everyone

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

There's gonna be thorek and some beastmen down there too with potentially some WE's and lizardmen so there's likely going to be a ton of threats that will all start at war with skarbrand. I don't think he'll completely remove factions but he'll likely stunt the entire southlands. If they leave diplomacy the same with demons they might have a really hard time by starting at war with everyone on turn 1. It really depends on auto resolve though because he might just take endless attrition and be a non starter in all his battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Was there a lore reason to put Taurox in Naggarond, or was that just to slow down the Delf deathball?