Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bleach basically shifts genres after Ichigo goes to the Soul Society, and I get how some people could like it, but I didn't.

Funnily enough, I recently took it upon myself to rewatch all of Danny Phantom, which I think for the most part is alright. I guess all things considered, it's kind of just a middling superhero cartoon, but it's fun enough. It manages to keep some drama and tension in for a while, but most of that basically vanishes at some point in season 2 when most of the subplots get dropped. Danny finishes mastering his powers, Jazz reveals that she discovered Danny's secret only to just get out of his hair, Valerie (who hunts ghosts in her spare time) breaks up with Danny and nearly vanishes from the show, and even Danny's mom forgets about Vlad being a massive creep. It sort of felt like the whole show resetting at zero. After all that drama gets wrapped up, there's not much left to the show but fighting the new ghost of the day.

I did have a thing happen where a lot of the time when the Box Ghost wasn't onscreen, I kept wondering where the Box Ghost was. And I love the name Invis-O-Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally, in the penultimate episode, Put me in the Drivers Seat and You are My Frankenstein were absolute bangers.

It got a chuckle out of me when it referenced both Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster appropriately in the context of the song. And as you said, both legit bangers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bleach basically shifts genres after Ichigo goes to the Soul Society, and I get how some people could like it, but I didn't.

Funnily enough, I recently took it upon myself to rewatch all of Danny Phantom, which I think for the most part is alright. I guess all things considered, it's kind of just a middling superhero cartoon, but it's fun enough. It manages to keep some drama and tension in for a while, but most of that basically vanishes at some point in season 2 when most of the subplots get dropped. Danny finishes mastering his powers, Jazz reveals that she discovered Danny's secret only to just get out of his hair, Valerie (who hunts ghosts in her spare time) breaks up with Danny and nearly vanishes from the show, and even Danny's mom forgets about Vlad being a massive creep. It sort of felt like the whole show resetting at zero. After all that drama gets wrapped up, there's not much left to the show but fighting the new ghost of the day.

I did have a thing happen where a lot of the time when the Box Ghost wasn't onscreen, I kept wondering where the Box Ghost was. And I love the name Invis-O-Bill.

IIRC that's when the creator or someone left and Butch Hartmann took over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair, that's not far from most superhero shows, in term of plot structure. Heck, the same could be said of most superhero comics. The real crime is not capitalizing on the tv show format more. It also doesn't help that, with comics and licensed superhero shows, the current iteration is usually just one "run" in a multiverse of different interpretations on the character that, by their presence, give that take added depth. Like, even Justice League Action was notable solely because it was such a light take on all the characters, despite being otherwise forgettable. Also, Danny Phantom suffers A LOT from Butch Hartman's poor comedic timing. Like, some of his jokes are mega cringe to hear nowadays and I found took me out of the experience. Not sure why, since I usually don't mind childish jokes in a kid's cartoon. Hell, sometimes, I even think they're funny yet still cringe. I think it's how much of it is a mix of puns and winking straight at the camera like the writer thinks their clever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My #1 problem with Danny Phantom is still that Butch Hartman's art style does not mesh with a superhero cartoon. Like, when he was doing superhero parodies on Fairly Oddparents it was fine because those weren't every episode but if the whole show's superheroics, things have got to change.

Covok posted:

I think it's how much of it is a mix of puns and winking straight at the camera like the writer thinks their clever.

It's the winking at the camera, imo. That's stuff you can do in more of a straight comedy, but again, this ain't that. Instead of just Spider-Man but ghosts (and not dead family), Butch (& co.) do Fairly Oddparents but Spider-Man

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 28, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm sure there's a lot of poo poo in Danny Phantom that's aged poorly, but the one thing that sticks out to me enough that I still remember it now is its disrespect for Sam's veganism. It seemed like every time it came up, they were either ratcheting it up to absurd levels and/or framing her position as unreasonable. I distinctly remember an episode where she's eating a "sandwich" that looked like someone literally cut out a square of someone's lawn and dropped it on a piece of bread. And it's unfortunate, because if they had just let her be a character who happens to be vegan, that would have legitimately been really cool.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

It's the winking at the camera, imo. That's stuff you can do in more of a straight comedy, but again, this ain't that. Instead of just Spider-Man but ghosts (and not dead family), Butch (& co.) do Fairly Oddparents but Spider-Man

Counterpoint: It sucks in FOP too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

danny phantom's biggest problem is it uses the same animation timing and mickey-moused music as fairly oddparents, so nothing has any weight. if danny is hit by a monster, he comedically slams into a wall, sits still for a second, then slides down with a descending musical riff. which conveys you're not supposed to take any of it seriously, so the action has no stakes to it. it's like the futurama episode where zoidberg's uncle is shouting "why isn't anyone throwing any pies??" granted i only watched the first season, but that was enough to turn me off from it, when there were existing action shows with way better action choreography, cinematography, scoring and, well even comedy (the JLU episode with Flash/Lex swapping bodies was very good). like avatar and danny phantom were airing on the network at the same time, and ATLA of course trumps it on all fronts.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 28, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

IIRC, nobody is 'born' into the Soul Society, it's all people who died. You just lose your memory when you die so you're often taken in and 'raised' by somebody. If you're lucky it's one of the fancy noble houses.

Although having said that, it's entirely possible people were 'born' in the Soul Society knowing the loose approach Bleach took to its own continuity.

The Nobles were all people born in Soul Society.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The 7th Guest posted:

danny phantom's biggest problem is it uses the same animation timing and mickey-moused music as fairly oddparents, so nothing has any weight. if danny is hit by a monster, he comedically slams into a wall, sits still for a second, then slides down with a descending musical riff. which conveys you're not supposed to take any of it seriously, so the action has no stakes to it. it's like the futurama episode where zoidberg's uncle is shouting "why isn't anyone throwing any pies??" granted i only watched the first season, but that was enough to turn me off from it, when there were existing action shows with way better action choreography, cinematography, scoring and, well even comedy (the JLU episode with Flash/Lex swapping bodies was very good). like avatar and danny phantom were airing on the network at the same time, and ATLA of course trumps it on all fronts.

oh man this is almost exactly the same critique I made when the show aired, and I'm so glad to not be alone

another funny thing about phantom is that they hired on stephen silver to do the character designs and then just instead forced him to draw in hartman's flat loving style.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Got a lot to say about today's episode of The Loud House.

Season 1, Episode 8A) The Price of Admission
Written by Sheela Shrinavas
Storyboard by Kyle Marshal
Directed by Chris Savino and Kyle Marshal

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 7B) Undie Pressure

Synopsis: Against his parent's wishes Lincoln sneaks into a slasher film and scares the poo poo out of himself. Unable to sleep he reaches out to each of his siblings for company so he doesn't need to be alone for the night. He succeeds only to find out that his parents have changed their mind about him being ready for horror movies and decide to go all go see the film together. Lincoln chickens out at the last moment and confesses what he did, begging to not see the movie again. His parents figure he's been punished enough and switch over to a Barney parody even though they never purchase new tickets and I'm pretty sure theater hopping is against the rules.

Thoughts: So this is the first episode where Chris Savino shares a director credit with another person. Not only that but the person in question is Kyle Marshal who's storyboard work in The Sweet Spot made it one of the better episodes in this series. But does this change-up make for a better episode?

Yes! Kind of. It's complicated.

A lot of the normal issues with an episode of The Loud House are here. Overly broad or inconsistent characterization, groan-worthy jokes (looking at you Clyde), poorly thought out themes, and awkward dialogue are all over the place. Yet something about the general feel of the episode made it legitimately kind of fun in spite of these problems. I think most of it boils down to Kyle's touch for scene composition and character expression. Every shot in this episode is expertly framed and every reaction face Lincoln makes is pure gold. These may seem like small things but they do wonders for how the show feels on a moment-by-moment basis.

Also, while there are still plenty of bad jokes to go around a lot of them are legitimately pretty good. I actually laughed at Lincoln's breakdown where he's talking to faces drawn on his pillows. Out loud! I know, I wasn't expecting it either! There's even a genuinely nice little character moment where Lincoln is trying to kill time so he goes to Lori for girl advice and she happily obliges. She normally comes off as selfish and kind of insufferable so this was a welcome bit of humanization for her.

Themes and morals: Clyde literally sings about the theme of the episode while wearing a hat for preschoolers: “Don't lie to your parents”. Which I'd normally be fine with but in this case I think Lincoln did the right thing by switching movies. The Barney parody was clearly trash and Clyde was probably going to be insufferable about it the whole time. It's fine, kid's do this poo poo all the time and it's all in good fun. In fact I'm pretty sure Lincoln's parents kind of expected him to theater hop the way he did because they don't seem mad or surprised in the slightest when Lincoln confesses. Which is pretty cool of them TBH. Not many people get to be the one every kid points to and says “But his mom let him watch it!!”.

Part of the problem here is that I'm legitimately not sure if Lincoln actually liked the Barney rip off before this episode. It's kind of hinted that he did but there's no dialogue where he talks about how he feels he's outgrown it or any comments by Clyde asking him what's up with the new attitude. If he did then there's actually a theme of growing up and outgrowing old interests in play which is pretty neat but sorely underdeveloped. Why have him go back to the baby theater in the end? Have him watch the horror film again with his parents for support and learn to love the genre like his mom seems to. That feels way more like authentic growth than giving up and just accepting that you can only watch movies for 4 year olds. Alternately you can have the theme be about not rejecting things you like just because you feel pressured to grow up, but that would require making Lincoln's prior relationship with the cartoon dinosaur much more overt.

Yeah, it's kind of a muddled mess but fortunately it doesn't matter much here because the point is just to create a plot skeleton to hang jokes off of and in this case many of the jokes actually work so the flaws are easy to forgive. I still think a script revision would have improved things greatly but whatever, I had fun so who cares.

Final thoughts: “gently caress off Clyde.”

Final Rating: Good

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 28, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Covok posted:

Technically, Soul Society and the Human World are not really like "life" and "afterlife" in Bleach. The deep lore of Bleach was that, originally, there was only one plane of existence. The problem was that humans would all eventually turn into Hollows (evil spirits) when they got too old. A being eventually arose that was so powerful that he tried to single fix this world by wiping out hollows. This, however, destabilized existence by destroying souls. So, a group of powerful people convinced the Soul King to split the world into multiple planes of existence: the soul society, the human world, and hueco mundo. To make this work, the Soul King was frozen in crystal and his body was used as a fulcrum for the entire cycle to function. This was possible because the Soul King was a "Transcendent being," entities so great that their only peers are each other. The entire point was to make a cycle that would recycle and clean souls to keep them from becoming monsters and make the world safe. Humans would live their lives. They would die and go to soul society. If they become hollows, they can be cleansed by being sent to soul society. They would then live up to 1000 years before they were reincarnated. And the whole thing kept the world in balance. There was also Hell, which was made for two purposes: to house the souls of those deemed so evil they needed to be removed from the cycle AND for those so powerful they cannot reincarnate lest they destroy the balance. Spoilers for the anniversary chapter: all of the heroes will go to hell when they end their time in soul society because their souls are too big.

Of course, Soul Society is the loving worse. So, the people who would form the noble families and oppress the souls of the dead immediately went and lobotomized the soul king and tore his body to pieces, so that he could never stop them or decide to change the world back. Soul Society also started doing awful poo poo like conducting mass killings in Soul Society to keep the "balance" whenever there were wars or mass death in the human world. The nobles don't give a poo poo about anyone else either so they don't like reunite families in death or do anything to actually make people's afterlife's good. They actually just enforce a feudal hierarchy. Hell, it is even revealed that, if Ichigo killed Ywach instead of simply defeating him, the nobles of Soul Society planned to betray Ichigo and lobotomize him and turn him into the new replacement Soul King, since he was also a transcendent being and would have been one of the three transcendent beings in the holy realm to grab before the worlds collapsed. Since Ywach was defeated, they used him instead.

The exchange isn't one sided either, to be honest. Soul Society West is formed entirely of living people called Witches who fight hollows (as they call them, dragons, and who they also enslave because they think that's more "humane." Soul Society West is mainly British and one of their leaders is LITERALLY a Nazi that survived World War 2 .) and try to keep the balance from the side of the human world. Even Huceo Mundo, the world of Hollows, is ruled over by a group of Vastro Lordes who have an interest in keeping the worlds from collapsing as well.

A lot of this is considered dubious canon because it all comes from the light novel series, which Tite Kubo only oversaw and did not write himself.

well...that answers THAT question

thanks

Neeksy posted:

oh man this is almost exactly the same critique I made when the show aired, and I'm so glad to not be alone

another funny thing about phantom is that they hired on stephen silver to do the character designs and then just instead forced him to draw in hartman's flat loving style.

oh you are definitely not alone. i liked danny phantom well enough, but i liked it in spite of its issues. i never understood why they were going for a more "serious" direction but then used the same goofy, wacky completely UN-serious style as FOP.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Danny Phantom had its moments, but when you rip off enough from Spider-man and Ghostbusters you end up with enough interesting stuff to work with. It maybe also helps that both of those are known for mixing action and comedy.

Kinda funny how Ghostbusters has become so well known as a kids' thing when the only thing that remembers how horny the movie was is the anime Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly a lot of Danny Phantom's weaknesses as a series come from how much it blatantly rips off Silver Age Spider-Man, particularly when it comes to the school aspects of the show, when me and some online friends were discussing ideas about a hypothetical Danny Phantom reboot a couple years ago we were all pretty firmly in agreement that excising a lot of the most blatant Spider-Man tropes and baggage would probably improve things, with the other big changes we discussed involved overhauling Sam as a character(consensus ended up that pretty much the only elements from her canon version that would be carried over were her name, the fact that she's rich, and that she's a goth, all the annoying hippie activist aspects to her character would get tossed out) and tossing Tucker as a character entirely and distributing his more important aspects between Sam(she'd be taking his love of meat as a bit of an ironic twist), Jazz(taking his role as the group's tech expert and in this take knowing Danny's the Phantom from the beginning), and Valerie(who would be taking his role as Danny's lifelong best friend, and also would know Danny's secret identity from the start), when it came to the Ghost side of the show we decided not much needed to really be changed beyond ironing out some of the inconsistencies the show had acquired over it's run regarding the nature of both Ghosts and the Ghost Zone, and maybe evening out the overall tone of the Ghosts as well(like Box Ghost would probably stay but a lot of the other more goofy ghosts like the Lunch Lady or that one nerd ghost would probably get the metaphorical axe)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Silver age spider man is the least bad part of Danny Phantom what are you talking about? Evil paternal figures, soap opera love triangles, it's great. It's everything that undermined it (bad comedy-action, Hartmann's dumb hangups, etc) that stinks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sam should have been gay, bi, or pan. Also, Butch really was showing his true self, as we would find, with how he wrote his activist character.

I don't think there is a lot though to Danny Phantom, especially not enough to warrant a revival or revisit. The worldbuilding, characters, art style, etc. are all pretty bland. Like, boil the premise down and you just got a pretty generic superhero story with an excuse for a monster-of-the-week villian to pop out of the Ghost Zone.

Also, full stop: couldn't Danny have fixed everything by deep sixing that portal machine and making it look like an accident, while sabotaging any new ones? I guess that would have just meant everyone died in a meteor hit in a few months so maybe it's for the best he didn't.

Still, what about Danny Phantom has any legs that is not satisfied by a hundred other superhero cartoons? I just don't remember the writing, worldbuilding, or characters being all that great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently we’re finally going to get some info at this year’s Comic Con regarding the Tiny Toons reboot they announced a while back (among other things):

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2022/06/27/warner-bros-discovery-takes-flight-at-san-diego-comic-con

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean I'd say that the Spiderman aspects are the main saving grace, because they're the main things that are providing interesting friction to the show, and they're what sort of went missing by the end of the series. Maybe Danny being picked on by jocks is a tired old-fashioned cliche, but I think it kinda bounces back from that sorta leaning into horror movie tropes as well.

Sam and Tucker definitely suffer from being pretty flat, and they're also not really spider-man tropes (and it's kind of a big point of Spider-Man that he's usually on his own, especially in his angstiest high school days). They don't really have much of an emotional or responsibility connection to the ghost fighting aside from being Danny's friends, and they end up being more dedicated to the ghost fighting from the fact that only Danny gets the opportunity to angst over things. They're also a couple of usually unrelated shallow archetypes that don't normally go together, like Sam is a goth and a hippie. I guess Tucker as a tech nerd who decided to go on the meat-only diet may be kinda prescient of later internet weirdoes.

Batman Beyond I think veers closer towards the model that the original Spiderman laid out, it just also has a lot more of its own unique flavor to work with as well.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Danny Phantom had its moments, but when you rip off enough from Spider-man and Ghostbusters you end up with enough interesting stuff to work with. It maybe also helps that both of those are known for mixing action and comedy.

Kinda funny how Ghostbusters has become so well known as a kids' thing when the only thing that remembers how horny the movie was is the anime Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Weirdly, I feel like it takes very little from Ghostbusters beyond the broad premise of fighting ghosts with technology.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tucker also only got on a meat only diet to spite Sam, iirc. So, it's extra prescient for a tech nerd specifically to get up on their bullshit over an activist saying "maybe don't be such a dick." Ironically, it's somewhat accurate to who Butch Hartman turned out to be in real life.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Found on the Internet Archive a playlist of pretty much every Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies short, so I decided to try and work my way through the whole series, and man even putting aside his somewhat racist origins*, Bosko is definitely an uneven start for the franchise, the animation itself is often charming but there's little in the way of real humor at this point, which at least partially comes from how little in the way of dialogue these shorts have at the moment, aside from Bosko(and occasionally Honey) every other character has been mute animals and even Bosko doesn't actually speak much, things will probably improve soon enough though, also in the short "Hold Anything" there's a bunch of mice that are so blatantly Mickey Mouse derived it's amazing that Harman & Ising didn't get sued over it

*though once they change his voice after his pilot short to something more cutesy it's mostly his(and Honey's) design that carries the racist baggage in the shorts I've seen so far

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Still, what about Danny Phantom has any legs that is not satisfied by a hundred other superhero cartoons? I just don't remember the writing, worldbuilding, or characters being all that great.

I guess for me there were two things that kinda hooked me (aside from having some curse where I watch any superhero related content even if it's bad). One was that it was an actual new superhero. I mean, don't get me wrong, it cribbed heavily from Spider-Man, but it wasn't exactly Spider-Man. Which is good because I've seen Spider-Man (granted at the time I'd only ever seen the 90s animated series and the first 2 Raimi movies so I didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the character). The point is I knew the character, his supporting cast, his villains, etc. DP didn't have all those established yet so it was fun to just see new poo poo happen.

The other was that I can't think of a ghost themed superhero. Like I know of a few who can phase through poo poo but not any who are half-deadghost. And yeah they got a little out there with powers (I don't know a ghost story where the ghosts shoot lasers :v:) but the point is again, it was something I hadn't seen before at the time.

Also also I guess I was a younger person at the time and more susceptible to laughing at some of the stale jokes. :shrug:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 28, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TwoPair posted:

The other was that I can't think of a ghost themed superhero. Like I know of a few who can phase through poo poo but not any who are half-deadghost.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxMFQG1hVo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I guess for me there were two things that kinda hooked me (aside from having some curse where I watch any superhero related content even if it's bad). One was that it was an actual new superhero. I mean, don't get me wrong, it cribbed heavily from Spider-Man, but it wasn't exactly Spider-Man. Which is good because I've seen Spider-Man (granted at the time I'd only ever seen the 90s animated series and the first 2 Raimi movies so I didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the character). The point is I knew the character, his supporting cast, his villains, etc. DP didn't have all those established yet so it was fun to just see new poo poo happen.

The other was that I can't think of a ghost themed superhero. Like I know of a few who can phase through poo poo but not any who are half-deadghost. And yeah they got a little out there with powers (I don't know a ghost story where the ghosts shoot lasers :v:) but the point is again, it was something I hadn't seen before at the time.

Kamen Rider Ghost but that show isn't very good either.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

He's not half-ghost, he's all ghost! :v:

I honestly thought of Deadman while writing that last post but all he does is possess people, which is fine for a guest spot like in that linked JLU clip but could hardly support a show solo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Deadman show you don't think could work exists. It's called Quantum Leap.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Found on the Internet Archive a playlist of pretty much every Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies short, so I decided to try and work my way through the whole series, and man even putting aside his somewhat racist origins*, Bosko is definitely an uneven start for the franchise, the animation itself is often charming but there's little in the way of real humor at this point, which at least partially comes from how little in the way of dialogue these shorts have at the moment, aside from Bosko(and occasionally Honey) every other character has been mute animals and even Bosko doesn't actually speak much, things will probably improve soon enough though, also in the short "Hold Anything" there's a bunch of mice that are so blatantly Mickey Mouse derived it's amazing that Harman & Ising didn't get sued over it

*though once they change his voice after his pilot short to something more cutesy it's mostly his(and Honey's) design that carries the racist baggage in the shorts I've seen so far

Just made it to the first Merrie Melodies short "Lady Play Your Mandolin" and it's pretty much the first short since maybe the second or third Bosko short that felt like it had any entertainment value to it, turns out the relatively small amount of extra structure using songs with lyrics adds makes the short a lot more cohesive than most of the preceding shorts(which like I mentioned in the last short have had little if any dialogue in them) and not just a mindless parade of sight gags that gets old rather quickly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Dead End: Paranormal Park, if it gets a season 2 my biggest curiosity is this - what is going to become of Pauline Phoenix? She's clearly upset that no one recognised her as a heroic figure after she tried to help save the day (to save her park's reputation, but still that was a step in the right direction for her as a person) so she is planning something for a revenge thing, but is she going to finally start pulling her spectral head out of her butt after it eventually fails, or just keep doubling down? It would be interesting if she can get over her narcissism and fear of her career ending and pass the torch to one of her lookalikes eventually even if it'll be a long journey, as she kind of needs to accept that she has been long dead and move on, or she'll just keep spiralling until her park goes the way of "Phoenix Parks Europe" due to her own machinations going too far.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Just made it to the first Merrie Melodies short "Lady Play Your Mandolin" and it's pretty much the first short since maybe the second or third Bosko short that felt like it had any entertainment value to it, turns out the relatively small amount of extra structure using songs with lyrics adds makes the short a lot more cohesive than most of the preceding shorts(which like I mentioned in the last short have had little if any dialogue in them) and not just a mindless parade of sight gags that gets old rather quickly

I'd imagine the simplicity of those early simple ones was more than enough as that was early enough in animation/film that moving drawings was loving magic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I'd imagine the simplicity of those early simple ones was more than enough as that was early enough in animation/film that moving drawings was loving magic

True some credit is deserved for them being some of the first people besides Disney to make sound cartoons that are watchable, but the three Foxy era Merrie Melodies have been a huge improvement over most of the Bosko Looney Tunes shorts so far, though I think things are about to take an upswing for the Talk-Ink Kid as his next short in the order "Bosko The Doughboy" is supposed to be one of his better shorts(particularly as it engages in some pre Hays Code era violence)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bosko's main draw was being the first cartoon to do lip-syncing, which was a technological novelty at the time, but that also left most of his shorts too focused on the syncing to do many jokes. It's also just not very good. There's a reason why not just Bosko, but just about all of the Looney Tunes before Porky got forgotten.

I've heard that a lot of early Looney Tunes also just plain stole bits from Disney.

At least Bosko is the first and last Looney Tune to say gently caress. More than you can say for Beans the cat.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

apropos of nothing, i just realized this thread is over 12 years old! :monocle:

absolutely insane that this went on all these years without a new thread

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

what WAS the screw in the tuna?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

apropos of nothing, i just realized this thread is over 12 years old! :monocle:

absolutely insane that this went on all these years without a new thread

drat... Didn't realize it had been around that long o_O;

DoctorWhat posted:

what WAS the screw in the tuna?

The screw was the power of friendship, and it was in us the whole time.

Anyway, here's another episode of The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 8A) The Price of Admission

Season 1, Episode 8B) One Flu over the Loud House:
Written by Alec Schwimmer
Storyboard by Kyle Marshal
Directed by Chris Savino and Kyle Marshal

Synopsis: The Loud House does a parody of zombie movies except it's the flu instead of an actual zombie virus. That's the episode.

Thoughts: So we have the writer for Undie Pressure and the storyboard artist and director from The Price of Admission. Which comes out on top? Decent art or bad writing?

Bad writing, apparently.

Yeah there's really nothing much to say here. It's a pretty straightforward parody of zombie movies where the characters do the tropes you've seen a hundred times before with nothing added to make it new or interesting. It's not even particularly interesting visually so I can't really say it worked on that front either. It's not painful to watch like other episodes, it just feels like the whole cast realized this was a turd episode and wasn't really trying all that hard. Pretty disappointing tbh.

Themes and morals: What themes? What moral? The events in the episode just kind of happen. I'm a firm believer that every story has a perspective or worldview whether the writer intends that to be the case or not but this episode is really challenging that. There's kind of a subplot where Lincoln and Leni come into conflict over how they should treat the family (Leni wanting to care for them vs Lincoln not wanting to get infected) and then at the end Lincoln takes an L for Leni because she's a kind person, but that's a really tiny part of the episode. It doesn't even work on it's own terms because, and this may shock you, the flu is nothing like a zombie plague. Under normal circumstances Leni would be correct but because we are doing a zombie parody everybody is wandering the halls mindlessly trying to infect everybody else on purpose which makes Lincoln's response the more rational one. Plus he infects her about five seconds after getting sick so what did the kindness either of them display actually accomplish? Because going by this episode it seems like Lincoln's *actual* mistake wasn't his heartless pragmatism but jumping in front of a snot cloud for Leni (ew) which got the whole family infected in the end where he might have made it out if he'd been more selfish.

They should have done what a certain other recent cartoon did and let Lincoln get infected much earlier and switch the POV to Leni (which would make things more interesting narratively). You can then have her successfully escape and team up with Clyde to help care for the family at the end instead of Clyde doing it solo. Now you've actually made a coherent point about the value of kindness instead of just spinning your wheels for 11 minutes. Not that it matters, these lines between Leni and Lincoln are just the writers parroting something they saw in a movie at some point, but I can only work with what I have.

Final thoughts: LMAO Leni, the sister who's only personality trait is that she's dumb, uses a mask to keep from getting infected. Even Leni is smarter than most conservatives.

Final Rating: Eh.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 29, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

The other was that I can't think of a ghost themed superhero. Like I know of a few who can phase through poo poo but not any who are half-deadghost.

The Ghostbusters arguably are at least halfway there, they've got the iconic costumes and gear and the car. Hell, they're only a couple of adjustments away from a Sentai team. I knew there was a reason they work oddly well in crossovers with the Transformers and Ninja Turtles. Speaking of crossovers with the Ghostbusters, and to a lesser extent classic cartoons, Casper comes to mind. Not quite the same thing but still.

Covok posted:

Sam should have been gay, bi, or pan. Also, Butch really was showing his true self, as we would find, with how he wrote his activist character.

I don't think there is a lot though to Danny Phantom, especially not enough to warrant a revival or revisit. The worldbuilding, characters, art style, etc. are all pretty bland. Like, boil the premise down and you just got a pretty generic superhero story with an excuse for a monster-of-the-week villian to pop out of the Ghost Zone.

Also, full stop: couldn't Danny have fixed everything by deep sixing that portal machine and making it look like an accident, while sabotaging any new ones? I guess that would have just meant everyone died in a meteor hit in a few months so maybe it's for the best he didn't.

A teenage activist being more interested in the trend of the month and moral self-righteousness than well thought out positions unfortunately aged pretty well, especially considering the 10s, but you still have a good point.

That said, I disagree, there's something to it. The show did waffle back and forth about ghosts so much with how a 00s cartoon can get away with referring to characters who have died, while some 'ghosts' are clearly natives of the Ghost Zone who probably never had a living form, but I reckon just having that kind of diversity, ambiguity and weirdness leaves you open to a lot of stuff. (Of course, similar to how Ghostbusters includes both obvious ghosts of dead mortals and things from other worlds that defy easy classification) Danny himself having a foot in both worlds, and there being ghosts who he has less adversarial relationships and downright friendships with, is another of the underutilised concepts. Vlad also works well, it's not often you see 'villain has all the same powers as the hero but he's better at them and thoroughly abuses them for fun and profit' but it can be quite solid- and that they both have secret identities to protect is an interesting dynamic. Of course, the hammy acting is always good. (a big part of that was ripped more from Robin and Slade in Teen Titans, mind, but still)

I remember there being a LOT of fanfiction of it back in the day, and I can see why. I think a revisit to the concept would work by expanding on the ideas that the original neglected; the whole concept of Danny's parents being ghost researchers/hunters who don't quite know what they're doing; ghosts being a relatively known but obscure phenomenon with public, private and amateur efforts to study, document and deal with them; the Ghost Zone itself being its own parallel world with its own landscapes, societies and prominent individuals. Cutting down on the regular cast might leave some room open for new ones; maybe have some more non-malicious ghosts who are potential friends or allies, or otherwise doing their own thing (if we're gonna rip off Spider-man, have a Black Cat equivalent as a competing love interest) and maybe interested in the human world for their own reasons. Pretty standard cartoon fare, but that's fun because it leaves room for nuance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

that was the very first superhero, a man by the name of jesus christ

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

readingatwork posted:

They should have done what a certain other recent cartoon did and

Which cartoon are you referencing here?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Which cartoon are you referencing here?

I was keeping it vague to prevent spoilers but it’s Dead End:Paranormal Park for those that don’t care.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What other 00s cartoons do y'all think could use a modern reboot or continuation because their original runs suffered from interference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

None of them. The narrative and tonal baggage is too immense and nostalgia reboots are a plague.

Uhh maybe Teenage Robot but only if they make the subtext text.