Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TotalLossBrain posted:

You can't super-conduct in here, this is a warm room!

Quoting for a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ever sit around and think about all this poo poo and wonder if humanity would be able to figure it out all over again when we destroy ourselves and have to start over

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

there are a bunch of discoveries that were just pure luck and happenstance

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You can definitely remove current from a superconducting magnet, it just takes a long time. Like hours or days or something to bleed out the current in a controlled fashion.

Quenching can be somewhat bad for superconducting magnets, like destroy them bad. But superconductors can also “trained” by quenching them after they’re manufactured. You just pump current into them until you get a quench and do it in a more controlled environment and it will be able to withstand more current the next time (up to a point of course).

Idk if medical MRI magnets need the training, they may be engineered differently.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Eeyo posted:

You can definitely remove current from a superconducting magnet, it just takes a long time. Like hours or days or something to bleed out the current in a controlled fashion.

Quenching can be somewhat bad for superconducting magnets, like destroy them bad. But superconductors can also “trained” by quenching them after they’re manufactured. You just pump current into them until you get a quench and do it in a more controlled environment and it will be able to withstand more current the next time (up to a point of course).

Idk if medical MRI magnets need the training, they may be engineered differently.

they're engineered to make a crapload of money for whichever vendor sells and services them, so why wouldn't they self-destruct as often as possible?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

KoRMaK posted:

there are a bunch of discoveries that were just pure luck and happenstance

Like what? And do you think circumstances were so rare that someone else wouldn't have stumbled on them for a significant time or ever? I'm curious what your thoughts are on this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mister Speaker posted:

Like what? And do you think circumstances were so rare that someone else wouldn't have stumbled on them for a significant time or ever? I'm curious what your thoughts are on this.

pennicilin was a fluke discovery. antibiotics were something most people had not heard of going into world war 2, and they are probably the most revolutionary medical discovery of all time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im just thinking of the numerous times in many different fields someone tried to do something, some other random event happened, the experimenter forgot about it, and then came back days ir weeks later to see something completely different than they had set out to accomplish but started loving with this new poo poo for a while

drat i really wish i had a list of these. i bet james burke could rattle off a bunch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Minera posted:

pennicilin was a fluke discovery. antibiotics were something most people had not heard of going into world war 2, and they are probably the most revolutionary medical discovery of all time.

that's definitely in the class of 'a microbiologist would discover it eventually', though

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

KoRMaK posted:

im just thinking of the numerous times in many different fields someone tried to do something, some other random event happened, the experimenter forgot about it, and then came back days ir weeks later to see something completely different than they had set out to accomplish but started loving with this new poo poo for a while

drat i really wish i had a list of these. i bet james burke could rattle off a bunch

https://www.concordia.edu/blog/9-successful-inventions-made-by-accident.html
https://bestlifeonline.com/accidental-inventions/

Superglue and the implantable pacemaker seem notable as accidental inventions. I don't count velcro since that's just copying something found in nature.

e: I don't think that people will stop having the drive or will to make meaningful discoveries, but I do think that the resources needed to make meaningful discoveries will become prohibitively scarce before we discover alternative resources.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is a great video and explanation in the description on what happens during a quench. (I think I originally saw this here, as there are some related videos from these same folks where they get up shenanigans when it is working.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOUJP5dFEg

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Unperson_47 posted:

Ever sit around and think about all this poo poo and wonder if humanity would be able to figure it out all over again when we destroy ourselves and have to start over

We burned all the easily-accessible coal and mined all the easily-accessible metal ores. If current society falls back to an agrarian state, there won't be a second industrial revolution by anything recognizably human.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bacon Taco posted:

:same:

Except for me it was one summer when I was on summer break from college in the 80s. I actually received a small amount of useful training, which included "only drive backwards so you don't stab a guy with the forks", "drive slow, you won't get in trouble for that but you'll get in trouble for driving like a lunatic" and "be safe." Unlike a lot of workplaces in this thread, these guys really meant it and they took safety extremely seriously. I never injured myself or anyone else, FWIW. But now, I feel like paying the $49 for an online certification so I can call myself a real forklift operator!

My forklift training:

Up. Down. Tilt.
Forward. Reverse.
Put the forks on the ground when you park.

I'm not minimalizing for effect, my trainer literally only showed me what the levers did and and told me to keep the forks flat when parked. I only needed to move stuff in a small area so it really wasn't a big deal, really. Moving stuff with a rider pallet jack was so, so much worse. I loving hate those things. Utterly terrifying.

SimonSays posted:

It's just standard engineer brain. They reinvent bikes every year and yet the bikes stay the same!!

I get such a kick out of designers and engineers that know absolutely nothing at all about bikes "reinvent" the bike by making them worse in every way than a product that's basically been solved for over a hundred years. Case in point: the Tesla bike.

You don't steer it directly, it relies on the pressure difference between your hands. Guess you're never taking a drink of water or using a turn signal ever again! Speaking of pressure, that "saddle" is going to a number on your taint. Also speaking of pressure, the angle of the saddle would make your arms and shoulders ache in less than a mile

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

I work in a hospital imaging department, we spend a non-trivial amount of time trying to keep things out of the magnet that shouldn't be there. One of the things we stress about a lot is first responders just walking into zone 4 where the magnet is. Especially cops, most especially cops.

Also did you know a large amount of the worlds helium is currently produced in Russia? Also that an MRI takes 8-10 thousand liters of liquid helium to operate correctly.

I think about this every time I see someone with party balloons

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

KoRMaK posted:

Here's one for your list:

The original Honeycrisp apple tree was damaged in a Minnesota winter, but 4 clones had been made. They were ordered to be destroyed, but nobody did it. The first "premium" apple (it wholesaled for 4x what other cultivars did) only exists because somebody didn't do their job.

Almost all premium marketed apple brands, such as Cosmic Crisp, are Honeycrisp crosses bred to make harvesting less expensive. I seriously suggest that you Google new apple cultivars in the grocery store before buying. If it's a Honeycrisp cross, don't buy it. They're crossing for profit, not quality. Most of them are super disappointing and they cost so much because of the patent, not the quality.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
they can mine our trash layers and sift the oceans for plastic to eat

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Is it true that Herschel sort of discovered infrared waves by accident? In the new Cosmos series he's depicted as recording the heat of different bands of visible light through a prism but his 'control' thermometer was right where IR would heat things up.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

The original Honeycrisp apple tree was damaged in a Minnesota winter, but 4 clones had been made. They were ordered to be destroyed, but nobody did it. The first "premium" apple (it wholesaled for 4x what other cultivars did) only exists because somebody didn't do their job.

Almost all premium marketed apple brands, such as Cosmic Crisp, are Honeycrisp crosses bred to make harvesting less expensive. I seriously suggest that you Google new apple cultivars in the grocery store before buying. If it's a Honeycrisp cross, don't buy it. They're crossing for profit, not quality. Most of them are super disappointing and they cost so much because of the patent, not the quality.

Looked it up and as far as I can tell, my precious Pink Lady/Cripps Pinks are unblemished by the duplicitous Honeycrisp lineage. :pray:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

that's definitely in the class of 'a microbiologist would discover it eventually', though

But in our reality, it didn't happen that way, it happened through a fluke.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MisterOblivious posted:

If it's a Honeycrisp cross, don't buy it. They're crossing for profit, not quality.

:ssh: All fruit growers are working for profit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Unperson_47 posted:

Looked it up and as far as I can tell, my precious Pink Lady/Cripps Pinks are unblemished by the duplicitous Honeycrisp lineage. :pray:

I'm just so disappointed that most of the big commercial cultivars available year-round are sweet trash like the Pink Lady.

Where are my loving tart apples in winter, fruit industry? Unfuck your trees.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/KVc39Xb.mp4

If it works

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

jackhunter64 posted:

lol if you have third rail, overhead 25kv or bust.

Seems fine for metro use - but I kind of prefer the "raised rail upside down next to the tracks, with a plastic cover" style over the "spicy track that looks like the two weight bearing ones" style. It's a gradient, but the latter crosses my threshold for looking like a deathtrap.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Minera posted:

My neighbor was allergic to everything; animals, foods, grass, you name it. A few years ago she was brought into the hospital for an aspirin overload treatment where they gave her a dose of aspirin (which she was allergic to) then hit her with an EpiPen and repeated until she stopped having a reaction. Now she is fine and has no major allergies as long as she takes a low dose aspirin every day.

I just found this treatment to be amazing because it could have been done 100 years ago if it was known.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I just found this treatment to be amazing because it could have been done 100 years ago if it was known.

I have never heard of this, what is the treatment called?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NoneMoreNegative posted:

:eyepop: I love the design, red and gold is very snazzy but the actual consequence seems bad

Looks like red and black to me.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
actually it's infrared and ultraviolet

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I have never heard of this, what is the treatment called?

I think it was something like aspirin desensitization or aspirin overload treatment.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The technical name is allergen immunotherapy and it's been known about since 1911, so they did have it 100 years ago. Probably wasn't a widespread and accepted treatment back then though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

everydayfalls posted:

Also did you know a large amount of the worlds helium is currently produced in Russia? Also that an MRI takes 8-10 thousand liters of liquid helium to operate correctly.

Apparently over half of the world's Neon gas is produced in the Ukraine, which is instrumental for the lasers used to make semiconductors, exasperating the global computer chip shortage.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 29, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/3Jwry9s.mp4

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

everydayfalls posted:

I work in a hospital imaging department, we spend a non-trivial amount of time trying to keep things out of the magnet that shouldn't be there. One of the things we stress about a lot is first responders just walking into zone 4 where the magnet is. Especially cops, most especially cops.

I think about this every time I see someone with party balloons

Yeah Helium comes as a by-product of natural gas exploitation. Concentration is usually <1% but for rich fields it can be a few percent up to like 10%. So Russia, being a big producer of natural gas, can produce a lot of it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGAUcTs0nwU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MisterOblivious posted:

Cosmic Crisp is pretty good tho
Paid 88c/lb a few days ago

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 29, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lol, the sign sums it up so well

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/ssssludge/status/1541885779403841536/photo/1

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

and helium doesn't just grow on tree ya know

it requires a second generation star to compress and knock hydrogen together and then go supernova to disperse the newly formed atoms. which is hard to come by these days

Yup. Nearly every ounce of helium we have is sourced from natural gas wells, and is formed by radioactive decay of Uranium via Alpha release, the Alpha forming into stable Helium after it absorbs an electron.

And its getting harder to source it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/cpPxr1l.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I am here for the gothification of all industrial processes.