Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how do you recommend i design a presentation so that the higher-up picks the option i want? should i make it a 4-way multiple choice, and put my desired option as C?

flippant answer: don't give them options in the first place

serious answer: if the deliverable is multiple options, and there's something you want to drive towards as a like idk, holistic solution, you can make separate concepts that highlight the specific aspects that you want in the final product, and state at the outset that the final product can be a synthesis of these concepts.

that said, the stuff i work on is complex, but doesn't really prioritize (aesthetic/usability) design. because of that, i rarely present more than one concept, and it's very rare that i need to present anything to upper management :shrug: consultancy designers probably have a different method for doing this, but i am corporate as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

in the deez nuts!

lmao gotem

A gotem is either a sacred object that embodies the spirit of goto or a living creature made of sand that protects Jewish programmers from goto.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Gnossiennes posted:

ime as a designer, also conversely: if you present multiple options for something, but one is filler and you would absolutely hate yourself if it got picked, it will be picked no matter how loving stupid it is

it’s a bit easier when you can add “con: costs more and is slow”

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: who knew the Z in date strings was important

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
so i went to grad school in canada and the #1 least expected thing about it was that canadians pronounce "Z" like "zed" and not "zee"

I could just not get over the professor talking about the ecks, why and zed axes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lil fun rotor fact for ya there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you could call em RotoFacts if you wanted to

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor effortlessly claims the quad

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
you left of naut for zero

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah but have you ever seen a dude get kicked in the nuts?
Several times and it only gets funnier and more erotic

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

so i went to grad school in canada and the #1 least expected thing about it was that canadians pronounce "Z" like "zed" and not "zee"

I could just not get over the professor talking about the ecks, why and zed axes.

zed's dead baby, zed's dead :colbert:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

born on a buy you posted:

you left of naut for zero

its weird but that didnt bother me as much

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

How was it learning to measure in meters versus cubits?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Gnossiennes posted:

serious answer: if the deliverable is multiple options, and there's something you want to drive towards as a like idk, holistic solution, you can make separate concepts that highlight the specific aspects that you want in the final product, and state at the outset that the final product can be a synthesis of these concepts.

yeah i feel this, thanks for the perspective

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

How was it learning to measure in meters versus cubits?

so funny story about that

like the second day i'm there, just moved in and needed some groceries so i head down to the IGA. I walk up to the deli counter cause i wanted potato salad and everything is priced by the 100 grams so i'm like doin some guesstimating in my head and the deli dude is just standing there and I'm like "can i get ... uhhhh . .. 200 grams? of the potato salad?" and he looks at me like I'm the biggest rear end in a top hat on earth and says "You mean a half pound?" and i'm all "uh yeah thank you" and didnt make eye contact again

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

well, you've mentioned your time in canada so that means we have to hear the potato salad story let's get it over with

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

like the second day i'm there, just moved in and needed some groceries so i head down to the IGA. I walk up to the deli counter cause i wanted potato salad and everything is priced by the 100 grams so i'm like doin some guesstimating in my head and the deli dude is just standing there and I'm like "can i get ... uhhhh . .. 200 grams? of the potato salad?" and he looks at me like I'm the biggest rear end in a top hat on earth and says "You mean a half pound?" and i'm all "uh yeah thank you" and didnt make eye contact again

oh my god lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

oh my god lmao

hahahahaha

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

rotor posted:

Oof

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

right? i couldnt shake the feeling i was buying drugs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think every shop with a deli counter here has three different sizes of plastic box on display so you can say "a medium box of potato salad". Obviously stuff like meat and cheese are measured in grams but then you can always just say "gimme enough [whatever] for two people" or "gimme a small chunk of that cheese, no not that much, yeah, that's it".

e: used to get a small box of mashed potatoes, medium box of some salad, and a rotisserie chicken leg or whatever and call it dinner, back when the bus from work still stopped right next to Wiklund.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 29, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

right? i couldnt shake the feeling i was buying drugs

they don't call it the food and drug administration for nothin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Obviously stuff like meat and cheese are measured in grams

thats the thing tho, they're not. they're PRICED by the gram but in canada they're ORDERED by the pound

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

thats the thing tho, they're not. they're PRICED by the gram but in canada they're ORDERED by the pound

i've never been to canada don't blame me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i've never been to canada don't blame me

vancouver is real nice, you should visit sometime

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
seriously though how the gently caress did anyone think “we should use a time zone other than utc” if they exist at a level beyond junior engineer

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
time sucks but either you use utc or you use epoch. there is nothing else.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

boy howdy does it ever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

vancouver is real nice, you should visit sometime

Maybe next year i'll get a passport, unless Russia has nuked us. It's complete poo poo that we can only get five-year passports now. Now every police station is backed up because everyone let their passport expire last year.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
being able to drive to Vancouver is sick. glad the border is open again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
time rules. still got the gps puck setup humming, it's been no-touch for months now. very nice to have a stratum 0 inhouse

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

born on a buy you posted:

time sucks but either you use utc or you use epoch. there is nothing else.

we display data from other peeps db's, so i was starin at a tz 6 weeks ago

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time I walked up to to the deli counter and, not knowing if the scale was in pounds and ounces or decimal pounds, asked for "ten ounces of turkey" and the guy sliced 0.10 pounds (two slices) and looked at me like I was an idiot.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

there is a zed in my last name. I had to make a call to and it was a call centre in the usa. they asked me to spell my last name and the person didn’t really know what a zed is. well it took them a minute to get it. didn’t realize what was going on until after the call otherwise I would have just said zee.

all the young people seem to say zee these days though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bam, hegemonized

lotsa brits sayin 'shopping cart' now, and 'car trunk'

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jonny 290 posted:

time rules. still got the gps puck setup humming, it's been no-touch for months now. very nice to have a stratum 0 inhouse

Why, do you use it to tell people actually you're not late because you're technically a minute behind the office.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bam, hegemonized

lotsa brits sayin 'shopping cart' now, and 'car trunk'

hell yes, in your face China, we still got it [waves giant american flag, fires guns in the air]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

America Inc. posted:

Why, do you use it to tell people actually you're not late because you're technically a minute behind the office.

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Pay no heed, just look at cat