Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cernunnos posted:

Several runs this marathon have been just over estimate and they've all been good runs.

The secret for a good gdq run is to do zero marathon friendly strategies because failures and overcoming are what get more engagement than just pure perfect execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I can’t imagine playing for 3 hours at that level, in front of a crowd, it’s 1:45am, and then still pulling out all the tricks to finish it off. What a run!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that run delivered everything i expected it to

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

poemdexter posted:

I can’t imagine playing for 3 hours at that level, in front of a crowd, it’s 1:45am, and then still pulling out all the tricks to finish it off. What a run!

Funny thing is they have to do the tricks because of muscle memory. More than a few runs over the years have been in a spot where they were stuck on the fast strat and it was "... I legit can't remember how to do this casually" and its like cogs slowly turning trying to remember the old ways or ways without these learned glitches and crutches.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The FF6 is getting pushed back all the time, but I would really want to see it live.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

There we go. A long journey...

He first appears in the postgame.

Ah, never did the post game. Thanks for confirming!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Luigi should be winning.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Also thanks for saying that you also have trouble following randomizers because I also have trouble following randomizers at times for games I've never played and I am self conscious about it :shobon:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I absolutely hosed my palm up from that tug of war minigame and wish I sent off for the free glove, because my mom kept most of my nintendo stuff from when I was a kid and it might be worth something now (or not because it's a gross skin glove)

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Would it make anyone uncomfortable if one of the couch commentators was visibly high?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why, are you a couch commentator

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Aren't they usually anyways

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Please clap

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

nordichammer posted:

Would it make anyone uncomfortable if one of the couch commentators was visibly high?

Pretty sure Muffin does runs while visibly high

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Why, are you a couch commentator

No, I am visibly high
Edit/

Lid posted:

Pretty sure Muffin does runs while visibly high

Sweet, thank you

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there are people at gdq not high?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

you'd have to be high to go to willingly go to gdq

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

nordichammer posted:

These guys are gonna know I've been smoking that stuff I've been smoking

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

TeaJay posted:

The FF6 is getting pushed back all the time, but I would really want to see it live.

I'll probably end up falling asleep before it ends at this point, but I'm also looking forward to it. One of the GDQs a couple years back introduced me to FF4's randomizer, and I still play it semi-competitively to this day. I've only played Worlds Collide a time or two but can't seem to wrap my head around how it's supposed to be played without having someone spell it out for me, so maybe seeing it run here will help get me into it.

Definitely staying awake long enough to throw in a donation, though. FF6 is my favorite in the series, so I'd love a shot at any of the related art that joins the prize pool at the beginning of that run.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There's something uniquely deranged about choosing to speedrun Mario Party of all games.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

King of Solomon posted:

There's something uniquely deranged about choosing to speedrun Mario Party of all games.

The real speedrun is four player multiplayer fifty turn.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Slippery42 posted:

I'll probably end up falling asleep before it ends at this point, but I'm also looking forward to it. One of the GDQs a couple years back introduced me to FF4's randomizer, and I still play it semi-competitively to this day. I've only played Worlds Collide a time or two but can't seem to wrap my head around how it's supposed to be played without having someone spell it out for me, so maybe seeing it run here will help get me into it.

Definitely staying awake long enough to throw in a donation, though. FF6 is my favorite in the series, so I'd love a shot at any of the related art that joins the prize pool at the beginning of that run.

I'm guessing they'll go over it a bit, but like with any rando, you'll have a number of checks at the beginning depending on which character(s) you get, and a bunch of free chests all over the world anyone can do. And basically just go from there. Also you get access to moogle charms so you don't have to fight random fights if you don't want to, at least in the versions I've been seeing.

The aforementioned Retrophile run had starting characters Umaro and Gau and the latter didn't have any fighting abilities so you could tell it was going places.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lid posted:

The real speedrun is four player multiplayer fifty turn.

:hmmyes:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Incredibly powerful energy from this person in the moogle onesie in the front row. Unstoppable.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kestral posted:

Incredibly powerful energy from this person in the moogle onesie in the front row. Unstoppable.

Big Dork Energy

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

People like that are part of the reason why I am glad GDQ is mostly live now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh no, Demon chocobo is back

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I see one of the runners is a man of great menu background taste

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I assume they're going with 3 starting characters to keep the estimate down to a suitable time.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

I see one of the runners is a man of great menu background taste

I love it except I am completely unable to actually read what he's picking up

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Anfauglir posted:

I love it except I am completely unable to actually read what he's picking up

And here I figured that player just got good ol' lsd demon chocobo as something else randomized too

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The commentators are doing a good job despite the hectic pacing and start, but I feel like it would've been better as a slower paced one person run.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yo this 4 screens poo poo is for the birds

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lid posted:

The secret for a good gdq run is to do zero marathon friendly strategies because failures and overcoming are what get more engagement than just pure perfect execution
If every run was marathon unsafe and everyone was failing left and right, not only wouldn't it be no longer be the exception and therefore a bit special to see, which I'm sure is part of the appeal, but I'm pretty sure it'd also be rather frustrating to watch.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Loved this dang LOTR game. Buddy and I spent what felt like an entire summer slashing through this. Gandalf ftw

Also sup sup thread & GDQ friendos, happy times

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What a fabulous crew on the couch. EternalEnigma with a jacket fit for a king.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
when the THX kicks in

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Haha that movie/game transition

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU