Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I’ll start worrying about China having my data when they start putting military bases and soldiers in my country, but only one country does that, and it’s not China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

The 10 Turn Plan

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You post these screencap as joke posts, in 2 years you might be reading them daily on front pages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What's even the point of spying on Trump

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*speaking into coffee maker*

president xi my people yearn for freedom. please send j-20 multirole stealth aircraft

coffee maker: *hrmmmmmm gurglegurgle*

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ishaantharoor/status/1541818170910064640

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

president xi my people yearn for freedom. please send j-20 multirole stealth aircraft

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/luxuryjeff/status/1541879588095250436?s=21&t=FfaEze-lTdGZXh0eiACepw

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao got me good

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Comparison of new metro station built in the last 30 years:

picture of one 7 train station vs endless scrolling of chinese photos which will break your html table.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
One simple thing you can do to illustrate what’s happening in the world is to follow mainstream news from both the US and China on Twitter.

Literally every day it’s like this:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1542115339546370049?s=21&t=xg5h2284P9nq3hYQSAXCHg

https://twitter.com/xhscitech/status/1540713507595108353?s=21&t=xg5h2284P9nq3hYQSAXCHg

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Taco Bell should bring back nacho fries.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1542138004126449667

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wait how was that racist

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/captain_mrs/status/1541751974215012355

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The 19 countries surveyed are usa colonies
https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1542238542285475843?t=SyzQbW669_yrQtAd1OZX6Q&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/orikron/status/1542211699381571584?s=20&t=IQym9ATFZnepnktTRsyXrQ

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hell yeah

quote:

China’s Marxism majors prosper amid labour market woes
Xi’s ideology drive is ensuring keen demand from companies and schools for graduates in communist theory

yesterday
Graduates attend their ceremony at Huazhong University of Science and Technology on June 22 2022 in Wuhan, Hubei, China

Graduates attend a ceremony at Huazhong University of Science and Technology last week in Wuhan © Getty Images
Chinese university graduates are struggling to find work in the country’s worst labour market in years — unless they have degrees in Marxism.

Despite being China’s ruling ideology, Marxism has for decades been an obscure major for students. But it is enjoying a revival under President Xi Jinping, who has urged Chinese Communist party cadres to “remember the original mission” as he prepares to begin an unprecedented third term in power this year.

According to Yingjiesheng, a leading job search website for university graduates, there has been a 20 per cent increase in openings that require a Marxism degree in the second quarter — the peak hiring season — compared with the same period last year. Marxism experts are being sought by employers ranging from government departments to private conglomerates.

Analysts said the popularity of Marxism graduates underscored Xi’s efforts to strengthen ideological education as China’s rivalry with the US intensified, with the powers taking radically different approaches to everything from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to coronavirus pandemic management.

“The purpose of the major is to train thought police to brainwash the entire population,” said Ming Xia, a political-science professor at the City University of New York.

Chinese universities offering Marxism degrees inculcate students in the philosophy developed by Karl Marx as interpreted by Xi and his revolutionary idol, Mao Zedong.

A curriculum for a three-year masters program in Marxism at a university in central Henan province includes a module on the “principle and methods of thought education” and 18 hours of study of Xi’s speeches on education.

Tourists taking photographs in front of a statue of late Chinese communist leader Mao Zedong at Orange Isle in Changsha, in China’s central Hunan province on May 25 2021
Tourists take photographs in front of a statue of late Chinese communist leader Mao Zedong in China’s central Hunan province © Jade Gao/AFP/Getty Images
Prior to Xi’s rise to power in late 2012, Marxism courses struggled to gain traction in a country that emphasised economic prosperity over ideological correctness during the three-decade reform era launched by Deng Xiaoping in 1978.

Under Deng, the party popularised catchphrases such as “it is glorious to get rich” and assured entrepreneurs that it was acceptable for “some people to get rich first”. Deng’s successor as leader, Jiang Zemin, formally invited private sector businessmen and women to join the party.

Xi, however, has made it clear that he intends to preside over an ideologically stricter “new era” that will prioritise “common prosperity”, tighter regulation of private sector conglomerates and a less stark rich-poor divide in what is one of the world’s most unequal societies.

Xi’s government has cracked down on young people who apply Marxist analysis too critically to abuses of labour allowed under China’s system of state capitalism. But it has boosted demand for Marxism teachers, who now play a critical role in educating the public about why China’s communist regime is superior to the west.

In a circular issued in 2018, the same year the party eliminated the previous two-term limit on the presidency, the education ministry told universities they should hire at least one Marxism instructor for every 350 students.

A talent acquisition boom quickly followed, with the number of university “ideology and politics” teachers increasing by two-thirds over the next four years.

The degree appears recession-proof. Youth unemployment is at a historic high of 18.4 per cent, limiting the number of opportunities available for other majors. But Yingjiesheng records show that Marxism teachers’ salaries and benefits are catching up with those on offer to jobseekers with previously more popular majors such as business administration.

In northern Shaanxi province, where urban workers make an average of Rmb52,000 ($7,760) per year, Xi’an University of Science and Technology is offering Marxism PhDs an annual base salary of Rmb200,000, a Rmb20,000 signing bonus and free housing.

“This is the golden time for Marxism majors,” said an official at the university, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorised to speak with foreign media.

Other education institutions, ranging from kindergartens to high schools, are also actively hiring Marxism graduates in accordance with directives requiring students as young as 10 to study “Xi Jinping thought”.

On southern Hainan island, one elite high school is offering Marxism teachers annual salaries of Rmb150,000, high by local standards.

“The study of Marxism and Xi Jinping thought must begin from an early age,” said an official at PKU Haikou High School, which is affiliated with Peking University in Beijing. “That creates ample demand for tutors.”

Private sector companies are also hiring Marxism majors in an effort to showcase their allegiance to the party in the wake of crackdowns on technology and property entrepreneurs such as Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba and Ant, and China Evergrande chair Hui Ka Yan.

Recommended

“It helps to have someone who speaks the party’s language work for us,” said David Tong, who owns a machine tool factory in the eastern city of Ningbo, near Shanghai. “The government will trust us more.”

Tong recently hired a Marxism expert to help his firm improve communication with local authorities. The hire had an immediate impact.

Shortly after starting, the in-house Marxist showed Tong an “inappropriate” article in his company’s internal magazine that had criticised China’s draconian film censorship regime.

Tong showed the Financial Times a message from the hire that said: “It is OK for someone to have his or her own opinion about how the government controls the media, but the publication of such views in our company magazine will lead to misunderstanding that we support ideas against the official line.”

Tong said he appreciated the advice and promptly removed the article.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

drat that rules what the hell

copy
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

“The purpose of the major is to train thought police to brainwash the entire population,” said Ming Xia, a political-science professor at the City University of New York.

lmfao

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I'd love to know what being trained in Marxism means, because apparently it entails deleting film bro articles

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Self imposed commissars

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Change my name to Marxist Thought PR Chief

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i love to read the non-ideological and purely informative financial times. im a smart leftist

quote:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are those unemployment figures accurate? that stinks

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

youth unemployment is always above 10 percent because you've got graduates entering the labor force and before that they are technically unemployed. the figure always jumps this time of year. 18 percent isn't good, but it's three points removed from the level it was last summer. that context is never included in reporting because it would make their apocalyptic headlines lose their punch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh lol. of course. is there unemployment assistance for jobless grads

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Staffing your government and your society with ideological loyalists has always been more important than staffing them with competent bureaucrats/technocrats

Implementing this principle at a mass scale is genius, frankly

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao do econ and business majors next

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

You killed em do you really gotta scalp em too Chen?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dear Mr. Chen Weihua I am a poor boy from the land of America and for my birthday this year it would mean so much to me if you could say one nice thing about my president
’s wife Dr. Jill Biden. In order to show that our cultural differences really can be bridged if we all try to be a little nicer to each other online please remember that she is a doctor.

thank you from
indigi

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SuperKlaus posted:

You killed em do you really gotta scalp em too Chen?

The works of Chen Weihua deserve preservation for posterity.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
sitcom: four expat CSPAM nerds live in a beijing flat studying marxism with a dream to secure that bag

*blond girl looking queasy*

"you guys... i think i ate a SURPLUS of dumplings!"

[canned laughter]

with occasional guest appearances from r. guy who gives advice on how our gang can "negate" their way out of their latest jam. bazinga!

edit: r. guy never shows up physically but only speaks through their coffee maker

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jun 30, 2022

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

sitcom: four expat CSPAM nerds live in a beijing flat studying marxism with a dream to secure that bag

*blond girl looking queasy*

"you guys... i think i ate a SURPLUS of dumplings!"

[canned laughter]

with occasional guest appearances from r. guy who gives advice on how our gang can "negate" their way out of their latest jam. bazinga!

edit: r. guy never shows up physically but only speaks through their coffee maker
lmao

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh wow Ming Xia was a professor of mine in College. He was a nice guy. Said he came to the US after the Tianman Square protests, step-father I thunk he said was an admiral in the PLAN