Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
getting a chevy "colorado" from their commercial portal u can get one with a 6 foot bed and extended cab (no normal cab bench seat option) with the shittiest engine and such for 25k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I want a truck now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a truck now

im here to sell u thread readers on the fine offerings of the chevy commercial fleet :tipshat:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive never had a domestic car but i think they suck (??)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they’re union made in amurica tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

ill take 10

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

ive never had a domestic car but i think they suck (??)

Jokes on you, America doesn't actually make "Cars" anymore. Only SUVs and SUVs with vestigial truck-beds on them.

There are 3 cars in this picture of a google search for "american cars" and those cars aren't union made.
e: Correction, there is one car that is a car and is union made.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Jun 28, 2022

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

these drat bikers lets show em whos bossss

https://twitter.com/ready4preddy/status/1541877718765031424?s=20&t=ebjOPgrqPPztfJ8gyixyqg

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Becoming less true by the day

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
modern short bed trucks with single cabs look like scaled up micro machines

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

dump trailers and open-bed trucks are great for landscaping, materials are heavy and impossible to move in quantity without one of those two things

landscaping is largely The Devil though
In the lovely suburb my parents live in the traffic is way worse all day than when I was a kid and aside from rush hour it's pretty much ALL landscaping and construction contractors. When I was a kid everyone just mowed their own lawn but as the town has gotten more upscale none of the people who have moved there in the last 20 years do so there are just constant streams of huge trucks everywhere. (All the houses getting knocked down and rebuilt when they're sold because they aren't 100% of the maximum legal size doesn't help either.)

I guess nobody lets their kids play outside anywhere anyway but I feel like that's got to be one of the factors; when I was a kid we would play catch and stuff in the street all the time and just get out of the way when there was a car but it feels like now even their tiny street which makes no logical sense to cut through would have too much traffic for that.

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Jun 28, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/T_Extinguishers/status/1541809495864745985

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
This old Jewish guy from Brooklyn is traveling out for his granddaughter's wedding and he ends up on a plane seated next to a good ol' Texan fella, with the cowboy boots and the big hat and the huge belt buckle and everything.

They get to talking and the Texan asks the Jew if he has any property, because it's so expensive out in New York. The Jew says, "as a matter of fact I do."

The Texan says, "Really? How much land you got?"

The Jewish guy says, "Maybe 100 feet in the front and 120 feet in the back."

The Texan says, "Lord Almighty! Back on my ranch, I can get in my car at 9, drive til 5, and when I get out I'm still on my property."

The Jewish guy says, "Oi, that's really too bad, I had a car like that once."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol https://twitter.com/lex_nyc/status/1541827391412178944?s=21

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Do you think they still do this for the ones with handicap permits?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Do you think they still do this for the ones with handicap permits?

they don’t

quote:

Avoid: Cars clearly used for people with disabilities, traders’ cars (even if they’re large), minibuses and normal-sized cars

lol:

quote:

When you’re done, anonymously let the local press know what you’ve done, where you’ve done it and why. You can use a free secure email service like Protonmail or Tutanota.

Send a report to tyreextinguishers@riseup.net so we can keep track! Tell us roughly where it happened and how many SUVs you have disarmed. Join the Telegram group for updates.

also the policy to protect normal cars seems inconsistent: with this:

quote:

Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis - there are not enough rare earth metals to replace everyone’s car and the mining of these metals causes suffering. Plus, the danger to other road users still stands, as does the air pollution (PM 2.5 pollution is still produced from tyres and brake pads).

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

SUVs are a part of the problem with some of their own bad side effects, but I can't get behind not targeting all cars.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
be the ty(i)re extinguisher you want to see

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wolfy posted:

SUVs are a part of the problem with some of their own bad side effects, but I can't get behind not targeting all cars.

Divide and conquer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

I guess nobody lets their kids play outside anywhere anyway but I feel like that's got to be one of the factors; when I was a kid we would play catch and stuff in the street all the time and just get out of the way when there was a car but it feels like now even their tiny street which makes no logical sense to cut through would have too much traffic for that.

People cut through on pretty much every street it's possible anymore and I really do think GPS is to blame. I assume they have alternate routing modes and poo poo. And they all speed like hell.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I feel like I don't see kids playing as much street hockey as I did in my youth. Its upsetting, in better news had a great day biking round with my friends.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

People cut through on pretty much every street it's possible anymore and I really do think GPS is to blame. I assume they have alternate routing modes and poo poo. And they all speed like hell.
I think most gps apps try not to do too much of that in general because people complained a lot when they were first catching on (although if you're unlucky and it really makes enough of a difference you can still end up with them routing a ton of traffic through your street), but I believe waze will in fact try to send people on really stupid complicated routes to save .1 second because I guess that's what waze users want

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Jun 29, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gps has made people much more cocksure about their bad driving. I believe they think it gives them some kind of license to play with their phones while operating their death machines. I would like it if gps were accessible only indoors, inside ones residence. just print it out on Mapquest.com.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

gps has made people much more cocksure about their bad driving. I believe they think it gives them some kind of license to play with their phones while operating their death machines. I would like it if gps were accessible only indoors, inside ones residence. just print it out on Mapquest.com.

B-but think of all that wasted paper

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress yeah dude that rules…

meanwhile the fail eurocrats promise they will stop busting really quit soon in fact, in 2035:

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1541956265542549505

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

No more cruising along the waterfront? You mean I have to throw all fast food wrappers onto the ground now?!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

How many automobiles have been built in totality? Because the best estimate I can find is ~2.2b; the Germans saying that the number of cars on the road now today can't be replaced by electrics because we don't have enough lithium should be an alarm about lithium use in general.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

How many automobiles have been built in totality? Because the best estimate I can find is ~2.2b; the Germans saying that the number of cars on the road now today can't be replaced by electrics because we don't have enough lithium should be an alarm about lithium use in general.
i calculated around 2.15b independently based on yearly production rates and some extrapolation so close enough.

but yes EVs are a joke. the only way we're getting even close to the amount of lithium needed to fuel america's car consumption is couping latin america and instilling far rightwing paramilitary deathsquad governments acting as a christofascist theocracy where they give America all their resources for pennies on the dollar selling out their country for a quick buck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lithium isn't even recyclable again iirc unlike lead acid batteries. we're going back to the 1940s

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lithium isn't even recyclable again iirc unlike lead acid batteries. we're going back to the 1940s
It's not even clear that EVs are even going to seriously replace ICEs in a quantity high enough to matter. I feel like the most important function of evs is similar to self-driving cars where people can just point to them as proof that technology is magically going to solve all the problems with cars at some point in the future so we don't have to change anything.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

It's not even clear that EVs are even going to seriously replace ICEs in a quantity high enough to matter. I feel like the most important function of evs is similar to self-driving cars where people can just point to them as proof that technology is magically going to solve all the problems with cars at some point in the future so we don't have to change anything.

ding ding we got a winner

it also assauges liberals guilt of car culture that they pretend to not be a fan of but secretly all love and evs solve the problem of not wanting any upset to the status quo and also assuage lib guilt

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/luxuryjeff/status/1541879588095250436

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
lmao

As for lithium, there are alternatives, but none of them provide as much energy for weight. Sodium batteries work pretty well and could replace lithium in battery factories easily. It just won't perform as well. Your Tesla Model Q will have half the range at the same weight.

The idea of making electric cars have 300+ on a single charge is pretty dumb. I guess it's because that's typical of gas vehicles, but I can't pipe gasoline into my car at home.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Jun 29, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
EVs are pee pee doo doo and I fuckin hate having people tell me that actually it’s good! we have to electrify!! gently caress off

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lithium batteries are recyclable (it is done right now) but the process sucks in many ways and is more expensive than mining the materials. maybe that will change in the future but in the meantime let's not take the risk, gently caress cars

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I heard they are making superchargers that can charge your 200 mile battery from 0 to 100 in 20 minutes and it takes like 6 months off the life of your car every time you do it, so I think that is probably the future of cars in America. incorrigible roadtrippers will just throw away their whole cars every couple of years and buy new ones.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

I think most gps apps try not to do too much of that in general because people complained a lot when they were first catching on (although if you're unlucky and it really makes enough of a difference you can still end up with them routing a ton of traffic through your street), but I believe waze will in fact try to send people on really stupid complicated routes to save .1 second because I guess that's what waze users want

Waze is the dumbest poo poo ever: Their routing is universally terrible, often it takes longer to actually drive those circuitous routes and it's uncomfortable. I'd rather sit in traffic for a few more minutes than exit the freeway three times for some minuscule time savings.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

an electric car is still a car

therefore it is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

I feel attacked.

The State politicians have floated high speed rail between the three major cities forever. Columbus, Ohio even had its own Union Station.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Columbus,_Ohio)