Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I'm just waiting for the hybrid/electric tacoma. I love my WRX don't get me wrong but as soon as they announce that it's good bye premium gas prices. What's your park of choice?

Bryce in northwestern VA and I am also slummin in a WRX :hf: though I'm not getting rid of it ever. Snowshoe is closeby but I don't want to go until I feel like I can make a weekend of it and ride 2 days in a row.

Found out after that weekend the truck I parked next to was also a goon's. Lots in the northern VA area but we never manage to hook up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well, poo poo, I’m 37 and live 13 miles from the bike park. I also have a season pass there I haven’t yet used… and I’m off work this week. I guess I’ll pop some advil and ride there Friday

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Steve French posted:

Well, poo poo, I’m 37 and live 13 miles from the bike park. I also have a season pass there I haven’t yet used… and I’m off work this week. I guess I’ll pop some advil and ride there Friday

Dang that's so close. I'd go after work every day just for an hour or two heh.

Yeh if my fat, desk job having, non exercising rear end can handle weekly downhill park, y'all can too! gently caress it's expensive though its the only thing keeping me kinda sane with all my other poo poo canceled from covid. When I'm out there I stop thinking about anything other than riding. It's a much needed break.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

I wish I could go every weekend. It's not even that far, just about a 2hr drive from where I live, but with gas being $7 for premium almost everywhere in LA nowdays the trip alone costs about 55 bucks, not including the lift ticket. I'll probably get a season pass next year if gas calms down by then, I'm chomping at the bit to go again.
Hey, I'm on the west side and usually ride around Sullivan/Mandeville since I can ride my bike there from my apartment, if you ever want a riding buddy. I'm slow and not very good though.

I definitely feel the gas prices. I had a WRX wagon up until last fall when my GF and I got a Crosstrek. Still not great with gas mileage, but not having the premium tax definitely helps. I was about to buy a hitch adapter since I already have a 1up so I could check out trails further away more easily, but maybe I should hold off.

I feel the age too. I only turned 30 this year, but I've always had bad knees and can feel them needing more recovery.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

PolishPandaBear posted:

Crosstrek. …

I was about to buy a hitch adapter since I already have a 1up so I could check out trails further away more easily, but maybe I should hold off.

Nah, you should do it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PolishPandaBear posted:

my GF and I got a Crosstrek. Still not great with gas mileage, but not having the premium tax definitely helps. I was about to buy a hitch adapter since I already have a 1up so I could check out trails further away more easily, but maybe I should hold off.

Join the crew.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Steve French posted:

Already put two days on my park pass. Very much recommend going out and getting at it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Sup oldgoons. Turning 40 in a month and I think I broke a rib last weekend. Keep riding!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

Bryce in northwestern VA and I am also slummin in a WRX :hf: though I'm not getting rid of it ever. Snowshoe is closeby but I don't want to go until I feel like I can make a weekend of it and ride 2 days in a row.

Found out after that weekend the truck I parked next to was also a goon's. Lots in the northern VA area but we never manage to hook up.

This is my fourth WRX, I absolutely love the things, and subaru as a whole. It gets decent enough mileage to keep it, but I also enjoy fishing, and other dirty sports so I figure it's time to get something that I won't have to worry about with a bed getting dirty instead of the interior.

#justsubaruthings

PolishPandaBear posted:

Hey, I'm on the west side and usually ride around Sullivan/Mandeville since I can ride my bike there from my apartment, if you ever want a riding buddy. I'm slow and not very good though.

I definitely feel the gas prices. I had a WRX wagon up until last fall when my GF and I got a Crosstrek. Still not great with gas mileage, but not having the premium tax definitely helps. I was about to buy a hitch adapter since I already have a 1up so I could check out trails further away more easily, but maybe I should hold off.

I feel the age too. I only turned 30 this year, but I've always had bad knees and can feel them needing more recovery.

I am also slow and not very good, perfect! Only been riding outside of teenagehood for about 6 months. I tend to ride in PV since I'm down in the south bay, usually we hike a bike :goonsay: up to malaga dunes for the jumps there. And yeah, the premium tax sucks. It's not all that much, 20 cents or whatever per gallon but that poo poo does add up. For the WRX hitch, I bought it from etrailer.com for just about 150 bucks, took a dremel and about 2 hours to install in the driveway. Even if I were only keeping the car for another year I don't regret the purchase, was cheap enough to not worry about losing that money if I sell the car sooner than later.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey we're talking about WRXs and bikes?

Thule Aerobar system on mine. It's been very good ay handling high speed and high g cornering with a bike up top. I have an old college friend who works at Thule, they like to overload their roof systems once a year and go to Lime Rock and torture test them so I'm confident my one bike will be fine.

I love my WRX but brand loyalty is dumb, shop by need, not by brand. Subaru will run into an identity crisis as they step through the gates into the world of EV where their two main advantages, all wheel drive and cheap cars, completely evaporates.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Thread title is perfect

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Sup oldgoons. Turning 40 in a month and I think I broke a rib last weekend. Keep riding!

34 here, went up to Copper Harbor last week, OTB'd on red trail at the same spot I did four years ago and...

sprained my wrists
Cracked a finger
Twisted my knee

I'll be back in a year or two to try again, always try again

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Possibly the same!
Not sure they’re broken but it sucks!

Didn’t stop me from riding though (probs should have)

Bud Manstrong posted:

Nah, you should do it.

:hellyeah:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I love that color. I got a new stumpy and it’s a green I like but drat I love your color. Is this a carbon model from a few years ago?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ethanol posted:

I love that color. I got a new stumpy and it’s a green I like but drat I love your color. Is this a carbon model from a few years ago?

Yeah, its a 2019 comp and pearls to purple in the right light. It fell into my lap last year on a killer deal from a local while I was recovering from my first big park crash (OTB broke right clavicle, left wrist, right ring finger). Wouldn't have even gone to look at it if not for the color since I could still just barely ride around the block at the time. Feel really lucky to have it, its so pretty. Thinking about getting a cascade rear link and fortunately they make one in orange so it'll match.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Boogalo posted:

was recovering from my first big park crash (OTB broke right clavicle, left wrist, right ring finger).

:eyepop:

Why am I getting back into this sport lol

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ethanol posted:

:eyepop:

Why am I getting back into this sport lol

The bikes aren't the only expensive part :laffo:

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
I’m fairly new and my friends all ask me the same question after I had a fall last year and thought I’d broke my wrist.

I love that colour though, it’s so nice

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The way I see it you only get so many miles out of your knees in a lifetime, you could spend it sweating on a treadmill or exploring new places on a bike. THATS why I mountain bike. I'd road bike too, but I absolutely do not trust motorists to keep me safe. If I crash in the woods, at least it's my own fault.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Biking is extremely low impact on knees relative to jogging or hiking (unless you crash onto your knees). It's the joggers that are doing the dangerous sport.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

Already put two days on my park pass. Very much recommend going out and getting at it.

Oh, I for sure will. Just various things resulting in me not getting around to it yet; opened just a couple weeks ago. Small kids makes it hard to get out on the weekend, I was on a business trip, and they're only open Thursday to Sunday.

I got it this year primarily as a hedge against Sierra Pacific and the USFS closing down public access; the former is already happening this Friday; so I've been prioritizing getting riding in on their properties first.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7384367999

(photos not representative of the actual riding, which is a lot of built up gap jumps and rock features)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Why are they closing access? Fire danger high so keep people out?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Somebody went out early Sunday morning and used a sawzall to cut down all the overhanging trees that gave the “Tunnels” trails in PQ canyon in San Diego their name. A sickening act of vandalism that will take decades to recover from. The tree tunnels were 100% the best part of those trails. So angry:(

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Why are they closing access? Fire danger high so keep people out?

Yeah, more or less. https://spi-ind.com/OurForests/RecreationAccess

This is the third year in a row they've closed it down, so not a surprise, but a bummer this will seemingly probably happen every year now moving forward. It's an interesting situation; there are a ton of trails built on their land around here, some of them with really impressively wild (and fun) features for unsanctioned trails just sorta built ad-hoc by folks without any formal support. Technically building the trails is against their access rules, but _riding them_ isn't, and they turn a blind eye to the trail building to the point where they have started putting up "please stay on the trail" signs on them.

Of course if they decide to log an area with a trail on it, :rip: trail, but they get rebuilt.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Biking is extremely low impact on knees relative to jogging or hiking (unless you crash onto your knees). It's the joggers that are doing the dangerous sport.

You're probably just joking, but, late in life, runners bodies hold up significantly better when compared to the general public. One of many studies: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2008/08/running-slows-aging-and-postpones-disability-study-finds.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dema posted:

You're probably just joking, but, late in life, runners bodies hold up significantly better when compared to the general public. One of many studies: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2008/08/running-slows-aging-and-postpones-disability-study-finds.html

I wasn't joking but I maintain that biking is less bad for your joints than running. I dunno if there's studies comparing the two but the reason I have this impression is that one of the ICU docs I work with (I know that sounds like I'm trying to pull weight or something and I'm not) is super into trail running and talks a lot about how he wants to die with just the tiniest amount of cartilage left in his knees.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I agree that this jogging seems dangerous, and pedaling could also be dangerous, so lift access mountain biking is easily the safest choice.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

I am also slow and not very good, perfect! Only been riding outside of teenagehood for about 6 months. I tend to ride in PV since I'm down in the south bay, usually we hike a bike :goonsay: up to malaga dunes for the jumps there. And yeah, the premium tax sucks. It's not all that much, 20 cents or whatever per gallon but that poo poo does add up. For the WRX hitch, I bought it from etrailer.com for just about 150 bucks, took a dremel and about 2 hours to install in the driveway. Even if I were only keeping the car for another year I don't regret the purchase, was cheap enough to not worry about losing that money if I sell the car sooner than later.
Nice, I've been riding for long enough that I should be decent, but it's hard to split time between road and mountain biking. I know about Portuguese Bend, but I didn't know there were trails there.

Well, the hitch adapter is ordered. I'll have to head over when it's installed. The trails I usually ride have been incredibly hot and it'd be nice to check out something cooler. I'll send you a PM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dema posted:

I haven't gone digging for the actual underlying study but as reported in that article it sounds like running was more or less standing in for "being physically active", they weren't controlling for level of physical activity among the non-running group so it's not saying running is better than other forms of activity.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

wolrah posted:

I haven't gone digging for the actual underlying study but as reported in that article it sounds like running was more or less standing in for "being physically active", they weren't controlling for level of physical activity among the non-running group so it's not saying running is better than other forms of activity.

Oh, sure. I have no clue if running or cycling is better for your body.

Just trying to make sure we're not spreading 1970s FUD about running being actively bad for your joints.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

In other news, anyone want to buy a Santa Cruz Chameleon? I'm probably buying a Switchblade today.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I can't run anymore, so now I bike. :v:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I want to upgrade the fork on my Fuel ex7 but I'm not really sure where to start. I want something a little burlier and more responsive but am also toying with the idea of upgrading to 150mm. I've currently got a RockShox 35 Gold w/ 140mm.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Lyrik or a Fox 36, but I found good deals on a Marzocchi Bomber and a Fox 34 Factory (but they're both 140mm). Will the upgraded fork make enough of a difference that I won't even care about it not being 150mm? I've been gravitating towards steeper and chunkier trails lately and am planning on getting a park pass for the first time when they open so I definitely want something that will hold up to that.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I currently run a marzocchi on my fuel ex9. I've hammered on it and it's held up and been very set-it-and-forget-it. Good match for a fuel if you don't already know that you need the tuning options of a high-end fork.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also 140 vs 150 isn't super noticeable

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

dema posted:

In other news, anyone want to buy a Santa Cruz Chameleon? I'm probably buying a Switchblade today.

Pictured: minimal impact on the knees

sorry:thejoke:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread. Is this a good place to ask about specific parts from bikes that I intend to use in a way that's almost completely unrelated to bikes? I already asked in the DIY quick questions thread, and in the general biking thread, and the former didn't have anything for me, while the latter pointed me here. If there's a better thread to ask this in, please point me towards it and I'll go over there instead.

I'm looking to make a pair of digitigrade stilts as a hobby project. I'm attempting to stay close to the model made by Digilegs, and for the most part, things are coming along nicely. The current issue I'm seeing is that people have been reporting comfort issues while wearing the stilts, traced back to a lack of suspension in the foot pieces. I found this youtube vid of a guy who modded his digilegs and added the shock absorbers you find on certain types of bikes, and that seemed to solve all his pain issues.

My question for this thread is: if I wanted to try this at home, which shock absorbers should I buy? Googling around tells me there's a few calculators you can use to figure out some parameters to look for when buying the things, but given the entirely different use-case, I'm unsure if the calculators would give me valid results. Once I do get this figured out though, how much should I be looking to spend on a couple of these things, ballpark? I mostly just want to make sure I'm not getting gouged, or buying something that'll break after a week, or whatever. Any thoughts, advice, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be shocked :dadjoke: if you could break a set of shocks in a week. It doesn't sound like you need anything super high end. Expect to pay 300-400 each for a simple monobody air shock. Rockshox or Fox will do, both are serviceable which is really the most important part for you. Single way adjustable damper should give you enough adjustment to mess with without making it complicated.

If it isn't obvious, you will also need an shock pump and shock grease to maintain it.

Edit yea shock pump is what I meant, corrected.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 1, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I'd be shocked :dadjoke: if you could break a set of shocks in a week. It doesn't sound like you need anything super high end. Expect to pay 300-400 each for a simple monobody air shock. Rockshox or Fox will do, both are serviceable which is really the most important part for you. Single way adjustable damper should give you enough adjustment to mess with without making it complicated.

If it isn't obvious, you will also need an air shock and shock grease to maintain it.

I think he means air pump* not shock but yep

My vote is on 150mm, if it feels too high up just run more sag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

...I found this youtube vid of a guy who modded his digilegs and added the shock absorbers you find on certain types of bikes, and that seemed to solve all his pain issues.

The guy in the video is using super low end shocks that you would tend to see on a Walmart bike. Those are going to have a way shorter eye-to-eye (read: length) than a shock you would see on an actual mountain bike, which may make packaging it harder if you go for something better.

Cheap air shocks like Rockshox Monarchs and X-Fusion O2s can probably be found for ~$200 if you look around, actual MSRP will be higher. Shortest you can get is maybe 165x38 (length eye-to-eye and stroke)?

An air shock is going to be adjustable to basically whatever rate you want, though the damping is going to be a fixed tune (or adjustable in a relatively narrow range suitable for bike applications if you go higher end).