Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

You absolutely want a normal car/get style seating position not a formula/open wheel seating position, I got really bad leg pain until I figured that out.

And thirding brake pedal deadzone part,it should be very comfortable to rest your foot against the brake pedal for long periods (without dragging it in-sim)

i always calibrate in sim with my foot resting on it.. holding it up for long races was bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"The Measure of a Man and Woman" by Henry Dreyfuss has what you seek. ~Page 65.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrYenko posted:

"The Measure of a Man and Woman" by Henry Dreyfuss has what you seek. ~Page 65.

Had to look this up and yeah wow. Click the resolution top left from this thumbnail to see full size.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lol I own this book no wonder I thought I'd seen it somewhere

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I set my poo poo up using this video as a guide - it has the pedals at roughly the "Race/Sports Car" angle on the "Measure of a Man and Woman" diagram rather than the more casual upright one, but, it has specifically alleviated the knee pain I was getting in the lawnchair setup. Ultimately it came down to having most of my leg supported by the seat, rather than holding them "up" with my feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1RBxpl6KcA

My seat is I think a LITTLE shallow, and I wish my rig let me tilt the base of the seat back - that would be the MOST helpful thing - but as it is I just roll up a small blanket right at the edge of the seat to support my legs a bit more.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 22, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Didn't realize the release of F1 22 is coming up very quickly. I thought we still had like another month to go. Pre-ordered the champions edition on PC for that 3 day early access, and sweet sweet VR support.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Didn't realize the release of F1 22 is coming up very quickly. I thought we still had like another month to go. Pre-ordered the champions edition on PC for that 3 day early access, and sweet sweet VR support.

Is it a different engine from F1 2021? I found the cars feel terrible, I don't even bother with that game despite buying it. The difference to the iRacing F1 car of the same generation is night and day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They've been doing a lot of talking about how the handling model is much more advanced (i.e. the wings can be adjusted like 100 ways rather than 11 now), but who knows until the game drops

Personally I've always treated F1 as more of a simcade game, so I wouldnt expect it to top the iracing driving model

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The F1 games are legitimately easier to control with an xbox style controller than a wheel. Don't think I'll shell out for it this year.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 22, 2022

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Is it a different engine from F1 2021? I found the cars feel terrible, I don't even bother with that game despite buying it. The difference to the iRacing F1 car of the same generation is night and day.

One of the F1 22 interviews a YTer did with a dev indicated the new tire model has 12 levels of traction/loading compared with 4 in F1 2021. So hopefully that significant tire model overhaul helps. I think there were some other changes towards improving driving dynamics as well. Still the same engine though I believe.

Hoping the tire model/other changes improve the driving. I enjoyed F1 2021 enough that it + VR would probably get enough play to make it worthwhile as long as the driving feel isn't even worse.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Tried seeing if any of the F1 22 previewers did a breakdown of how the F1 22 physics changes feel to drive. Didn't find any, but instead found a recent lengthy dev interview from Codemasters on physics/handling changes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilz_w1Dw1lk

tl;dw: Sounds like they changed a lot of stuff in part because they had to (regs, suspension travel to allow bottoming out not just from kerbs since cars run lower) or wanted to (tire model redo because it was bad in F1 2021), indicating it was the most significant year-over-year physics model changes they've ever made to the F1 franchise. Guess we'll find out next week if the long list of changes makes it feel much different/better.

A highlight in there was that they asked F1 teams about grip exiting slow corners and sounds like they improved grip because the F1 teams told them how completely wrong it was and that F1 cars are not nearly that likely to spin/lose traction out of slow corners. Sounds like in general the grip has improved for in control situations, but now goes more rapidly if you push too hard.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think there’s still embargo so we won’t see any actual reviews yet. Dave Cam did say it “is much better” and left it at that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-load on Steam is available now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm excited to see people's impressions of EA Sports Formula 1 2022.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The concept of F1 with VR support and better corner traction is doing something to me

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

house of the dad posted:

The concept of F1 with VR support and better corner traction is doing something to me

It exists in iRacing already. I guess not the new ground effect cars but it's not like I knew the old cars that well anyways.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

necrotic posted:

I think there’s still embargo so we won’t see any actual reviews yet. Dave Cam did say it “is much better” and left it at that.

Pretty sure he also said he didn't even play the last game so...

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Fellblade posted:

Pretty sure he also said he didn't even play the last game so...

Yeah fair.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go in expecting a simcade with VR and you won’t be disappointed.

If you’re thinking “iracing F1 but a whole game” you’ll be disappointed

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine how cool that would be though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

I'm excited to see people's impressions of EA Sports Formula 1 2022.

Last year was EA's first F1 title with the cooperation of Codemasters, and I was pretty positive on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Exactly, this is how i'm doing it. Been playing Codemasters F1 series since 2011 edition, and its been getting better and better each year.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
CSL LC pedals arrived today. Going to take some getting used to, but generally liked them a lot giving a WRC10 rally a go with them. Definitely not applying enough pressure sometimes and just hilariously under braking to disastrous results here and there--I bet that'll be easier with circuit racing and well defined braking points. :v: The throttle feels much smoother though, helping get into a nice rhythm on gravel to control the slide and more smoothly apply power over undulations.

My hair brained scheme to use the 3rd pedal as the handbrake instead of a button on the wheel didn't pan out--couldn't find a comfortable position for trying to heel/toe it.

Feel like I'm finally, slowly getting better at rally with a wheel now. Ruined Dirt Rally 2 when I got the rig to use my wheel all the time because I'd put in so many hours on controller and was just painfully slow on wheel; going from winning Masters rallies and top 10% in online events, to getting destroyed by AI and struggling for top 40% online.

necrotic posted:

Embargo on it makes sense.

I think the earlier interview with a dev that Alex Gillon did, it was noted a number of changes didn't make the prerelease build either--I think the full new tire model (12 grip/load levels vs 4) among them. Unless they've been getting updated prerelease builds.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'll never be convinced they'd be allowed to spend the money to get that past 'good enoigh', considering how many people are going to buy it because they like the Netflix series and have a computer. I'm sure the team could do an amazing job if they had the budget and time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s an ea owned property, but codemasters are still the developers on it.

It’s weird because I think they are trying to cater to non-hardcore sim people, and also they have a very well done esports arm that has big prize money and that makes its racers somewhat famous, so you’d think from that angle they would be trying to go full hardcore sim mode with it, because that’s what the esports market demands.

I’m sure at the end it’s done for corporate bs reasons that don’t make sense outside of licensing and profits

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

bUm posted:

Feel like I'm finally, slowly getting better at rally with a wheel now. Ruined Dirt Rally 2 when I got the rig to use my wheel all the time because I'd put in so many hours on controller and was just painfully slow on wheel; going from winning Masters rallies and top 10% in online events, to getting destroyed by AI and struggling for top 40% online.

If you haven't done so already, try setting your wheel to 540 DOR for rally. One of the reason people are faster with a controller and have trouble adjusting is how long it takes to spin to countersteer at the default 900 or whatever. Unless you're bent on doing the broken soft lock (even on pc it doesn't work right) to have a "realistic" one for each car, 540 or maybe even lower is a good place to have it.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

If you haven't done so already, try setting your wheel to 540 DOR for rally. One of the reason people are faster with a controller and have trouble adjusting is how long it takes to spin to countersteer at the default 900 or whatever. Unless you're bent on doing the broken soft lock (even on pc it doesn't work right) to have a "realistic" one for each car, 540 or maybe even lower is a good place to have it.

Have been running 540 for rally; considered going 360 but haven't.

I do think the issue is similar though. With the wheel, I was less willing to wrestle it around compared to controller where naturally your steering inputs are relatively dramatic whether you intend to or not even with delicate movement. Rally racing ain't about the smooth movements, it's about wrangling the car into the spot you can go the fastest without dying.

Beyond that, I think there's some hardware shortcomings that don't help: the corrective steering force is so slow on my budget wheel that I need to manually help crank it back out of hairpins (and some other turns) to not be nosing into whatever is inside the turn, push button handbrake on the wheel is always a bit awkward, and rotating paddle shifters are not good for rally when you crash and need to do a lot of shifting/steering to get back on course. RIP shifting up instead of down trying to reverse after having the wheel flipped trying to recover. :laugh:

Decided to leap for the Moza R9 which should help with the first point above and perhaps the second with 4 paddles--a paddle seems like it'll be better for handbraking than a button on the wheel at least, even if not as good as dropping even more money for a separate sequential + handbrake. Clearly I just need to not make big mistakes and then the benefits of a proper sequential/handbrake are muted--or I need to get on Vettel's level for handbrake turn skills with paddle. :shobon:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know this thread is more devoted to the serious simmers that do iRacing and the like.

But I wanted to say I’ve only ever played the 2017 Codemasters game, and it’s… a lot of fun!

The career mode is pretty cool, though I tend to mostly just to do the time trial mode. I like to tinker with setup and try to set the best time possible on each circuit, then try to beat it, and so on. It’s a nice blend of arcade and sim IMO.

I have an ancient set of wheel and pedals that I don’t think is even certified for use with the game by Codemasters, but given that it takes so long to set up and I can’t leave it on the desk all the time, I end up just playing the game with an Xbox controller.

It’s surprisingly easy, especially if you tweak the saturation for steering within the game, and always hold the steering stick against the upper detent, the ring that the thumbstick is mounted in, rather than leaving it centered and steering from there.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I know this thread is more devoted to the serious simmers that do iRacing and the like.

Race mans is good and fun, sim or not.

MrMojok posted:

I have an ancient set of wheel and pedals that I don’t think is even certified for use with the game by Codemasters, but given that it takes so long to set up and I can’t leave it on the desk all the time, I end up just playing the game with an Xbox controller.

I definitely use a controller for arcade racers--I assume you're talking Dirt 4?

Getting the Next Level Racing F-GT Lite cockpit mentioned here when it was on sale for a good price last year was a game changer for me. It'd probably still be a pain if I had to fold it down between uses, but being able to roll my computer chair out of the way, slide the cockpit in, plug in the power and 2 USBs, and hop in and race has made racing with wheel/pedals infinitely better because the setup/teardown time onto the desk directly made it such a hassle every time I wanted to race (not to mention much worse seating position and less secure wheel/pedals attachment). 10/10 would recommend; probably recommend the cheaper version that can't do the F1-style seating position. I've never used the F1 position because it's a fair amount of work to adjust the rig, I hear it's uncomfortable, and was not viable because I'd be way too low/far away from my monitor--until, theoretically, next week with F1 22 finally having VR.

bUm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 26, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bUm posted:

Race mans is good and fun, sim or not.

I definitely use a controller for arcade racers--I assume you're talking Dirt 4?

Sorry, I should have specified I was talking about F1 2017.

That RacingF GT Lite rig does look cool as hell, though.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I've come to the conclusion that no one that works at Nacon (WRC 10 devs) has ever seen snow. Least that's the only sensible reasoning I can think of for the snow physics in Monte Carlo where the car is completely out of control and unable to accelerate/decelerate/turn at 5 MPH. Makes the Dirt Rally 2 ice sections in Monte Carlo feel positively grippy in comparison.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was super hyped for F1 22 finally getting VR and bought the champions edition so I could play early. Even after updating drivers and playing on low settings, tweaking xml files, etc my 9900k/3080 wasn't able to get acceptable VR performance.

I'm sure they'll patch it but the whole vibe of the game with it's emphasis on F1 life and amassing a supercar collection was just a turnoff. All I want is a decent game that has the cars and tracks and a season progression in VR, and a guy on the radio to tell me when to pit, etc. I refunded it and if the performance kinks get worked out I might buy it on sale again and suffer through the 'tude.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 29, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I was super hyped for F1 22 finally getting VR and bought the champions edition so I could play early. Even after updating drivers and playing on low settings, tweaking xml files, etc my 9900k/3080 wasn't able to get acceptable VR performance.

I'm sure they'll patch it but the whole vibe of the game with it's emphasis on F1 life and amassing a supercar collection was just a turnoff. All I want is a decent game that has the cars and tracks and a season progression in VR, and a guy on the radio to tell me when to pit, etc. I refunded it and if the performance kinks get worked out I might buy it on sale again and suffer through the 'tude.

iRacing + crew chief is the answer my child. Let the arcade racing game hate flow through you.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be skipping this one.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Did see glancing at a couple of reviews with the embargo lifted that there's planning to be a (normal) release day patch hitting a bunch of polish things. Also saw an article wherein the VR worked better on a 2080Ti than 3090 so clearly there's some polish to be had for VR.

Pretty weak to not have that ironed out as a big selling point feature though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The VR implementation is rough right now.

Here are the big things I saw;

-The tracking is bad in game. In the menus, the headset tracking is dead on, and smooth as hell. In the car, it skips around a bit
-The headset swims a bit, and doesnt seem to be placed correctly in 3D space. When you move your head, the world doesnt move realistically
-TURN OFF DLSS. It makes everything a smeary mess
-TURN OFF ASW in Oculus Tray Tool. It makes everything a smeary mess
-Resolution scaling doesnt seem to have a huge performance hit. I'm running it at 200% supersampling in the game (not in tray tool) and it mostly runs the same as it did at 100%

Either way, turning off DLSS and ASW, and running big resolution scaling has the game looking pretty nice in VR, now they need to fix the tracking issues

e: I should mention that all of this is on a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 3070ti, so, far from top of the line

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 29, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had the complete opposite experience, RTX 2070 on a HP Reverb G2. Performance could have been better, but was acceptable. No issues with tracking, and graphic quality was set to high, so that is also why some of the performance issues I ran into happened. Hopefully the day 1 patch fixes that too. Did the first race of the season mode at 100% race length and had a lot of fun.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

VelociBacon posted:

iRacing + crew chief is the answer my child. Let the arcade racing game hate flow through you.

I mean, the content alone would be like $250, not all the tracks are there, I'd have to play on a schedule, race against a bunch of tryhards, work my way up the ladder before I could even get to F1, and pay a monthly fee. Not really what I'm looking for.

I said come in! posted:

I had the complete opposite experience, RTX 2070 on a HP Reverb G2. Performance could have been better, but was acceptable. No issues with tracking, and graphic quality was set to high, so that is also why some of the performance issues I ran into happened. Hopefully the day 1 patch fixes that too. Did the first race of the season mode at 100% race length and had a lot of fun.

interesting. I was also using a reverb g2 and tracking was solid on menus but as soon as I'm in the car it was jittery and if I looked too far off center any direction it would be delayed. The delay would increase the further off center I would move. The incongruity gave me a headache.

I'll definitely try it again after it's seen some patches and it's on sale because it has potential to improve.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 29, 2022

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
On the other hand: the F1 car is good to drive, rather than bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Interesting that one G2 had my same swimmy weird experience and another had a good experience. I wonder what the underlying issue is. Clearly not the headsets themselves

I was on my Rift S, so I’ll try it with my quest 2 next to see if it makes any difference.