Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basically. I don’t think I’ve seen one instance of a belt actually snapping and causing damage despite everyone fearing it.

I’m sure it’s happened to someone but it’s far from common.

BUT it is one of those things where the belts cost like $7 a piece and the work is easy as hell so why not do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Once again, extremely normal goldwing use today

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What's the verdict on the faux-airhawk? I have one of these 3d mesh seat covers for the GS that actually makes a huge difference when it's hot/humid, wouldn't mind having something similar for the other dad bike

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

What's the verdict on the faux-airhawk? I have one of these 3d mesh seat covers for the GS that actually makes a huge difference when it's hot/humid, wouldn't mind having something similar for the other dad bike

I occasionally use one. stapled it to my pan over my seat cover and it helped during my commute here in the south. beats spending the $70 or whatever for the bike specific ones made by the same people in china lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

The guy I bought my Rex from had something like that on it (universal fit, though). I oughta put it back on, that might help with how water's been pooling around my nuts when it rains

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Fake Hawk has been great so far. Holds air no problem. Came with a USB powered water pump (lol) to fill the seat with water, which I havent tried.

Massively cuts down on rear end sweat in these hot humid wisconsin summer days.

For $30 i think it was well worth it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, sold the baby diarrhea brown goldwing 1200 yesterday

:rip: to a legend

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
https://wing-ding.org/

I'm going to be visiting family this weekend and a giant dadbike convention is going to be happening a few miles away. I'm praying I can escape and get some pics of :krad: bikes, though it's looking pretty unlikely at the moment.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s good to recycle old furniture, whoever bought it was hard up and needed a nice couch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

It’s good to recycle old furniture, whoever bought it was hard up and needed a nice couch.

Lmfao

This is it steak, this is the funniest thing you'll ever say. It's all downhill from here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Couch Rocket is the preferred nomenclature :colbert:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That sold quickly. How did you price it compared to others? How much interest did it get?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll just tell you, I had it listed at $1300, which I thought was optimistic, but I knew people would try to haggle me down on price anyway. I had a lot of interest, mostly people throwing me $700 offers all day long, and the usual string of people saying they'll show and then ghosting me.

I finally had one guy who was super interested and wanted to see it the next day. We made plans, and basically 20 minutes before he got there, I wheeled the bike out to discover that my Seal Buddy job that I did on the left fork leg only worked for so long. It had puked out all of the fork oil, which naturally headed straight for the left brake caliper.

So, knowing that it would need fork seals, a very good caliper cleaning, and a set of pads, we agreed on $1k. He seemed mostly impressed that the bike was all there, not covered in tacky BS and not hacked to hell with extra lights and electrical junk. I think he had seen a lot of older wings that were "cafe'd out", or electrically and cosmetically modded like crazy and sketchy af. He was fine putting brakes and fork seals in it. His plan was to actually tour with it, so he wanted a good baseline to start with

Not too shabby for a bike that I traded a $100 scooter to get.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 29, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll just tell you, I had it listed at $1300, which I thought was optimistic, but I knew people would try to haggle me down on price anyway. I had a lot of interest, mostly people throwing me $700 offers all day long, and the usual string of people saying they'll show and then ghosting me.

I finally had one guy who was super interested and wanted to see it the next day. We made plans, and basically 20 minutes before he got there, I wheeled the bike out to discover that my Seal Buddy job that I did on the left fork leg only worked for so long. It had puked out all of the fork oil, which naturally headed straight for the left brake caliper.

So, knowing that it would need fork seals, a very good caliper cleaning, and a set of pads, we agreed on $1k. He seemed mostly impressed that the bike was all there, not covered in tacky BS and not hacked to hell with extra lights and electrical junk. I think he had seen a lot of older wings that were "cafe'd out", or electrically and cosmetically modded like crazy and sketchy af. He was fine putting brakes and fork seals in it. His plan was to actually tour with it, so he wanted a good baseline to start with

Not too shabby for a bike that I traded a $100 scooter to get.

That's fair considering the market. You could have priced it higher and it would still be listed 6 months from now. He's right about most of these listings being clapped out poo poo traps, people are definitely wallpapering over some of the issues with these bikes just to get them sold. No surprise there, but when the market is this flooded that's what you'll get. I think I would be lucky to get $1500 for it. Not bad, considering I paid $700 and put $500 into it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Lmfao

This is it steak, this is the funniest thing you'll ever say. It's all downhill from here.

:cheers:

Jimmy, you tried the latest model year ‘wings yet?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I havent. And I dont really want to because I dont want to know what I'm missing haha.

Theyre too pricey for my taste

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't think you're really missing that much beyond a TFT in the dash, Car Play/Android Auto, and the DCT if you opted to get one. Maybe the throttle maps? Meh. Bunch of unnecessary stuff that doesn't really change the character of the bike.

The only differences you might immediately notice are 1) the suspension change up front, brake dive isn't a thing 2) the 18+ is noticeably smaller than the previous gen (while still being very large)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not a fan of TFT LCD bike displays. I have 2002 Accord gauges from the factory in my Goldwing, they are :kiss:

I do wish there was a way to have carplay on a normal device like a tablet however, that would rule

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm not a fan of TFT LCD bike displays. I have 2002 Accord gauges from the factory in my Goldwing, they are :kiss:

I do wish there was a way to have carplay on a normal device like a tablet however, that would rule

The latest gen still has swept-needle gauges for tach and speedo, you just get a TFT in the middle for nav/radio/etc. I keep the radio tuned to the local butt rock station as required by the goldwing ownership agreement (evidence below).

BTW, those Accord gauges, vents, etc. on your gen bike make a ton of sense since the bikes were built at the plant in Marysville, OH right next door to where they build Accords.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

See!!! This is why I didn’t test drive one. Now I’m jealous because I thought it was a full lcd, and not the One True Way which is LCD + Analog gauges

Makes sense that it has that though because, again, so do the new Accords

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

God help me I'm looking at FJRs.

I'm too young! I'm too young! I continue to insist as I slowly transform into a dad

FBS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 4, 2022

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

FBS posted:

God help me I'm looking at FJRs.

I'm too young! I'm too young! I continue to insist as I slowly transform into a dad

Cruise control, electronic suspension, and power windscreen are really nice…

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
This is probably a decent question for the Dadbike thread. How do you keep the stink out of your saddlebags? The bags on my Road Glide are air tight, and I'll occasionally use them for transporting cheeseburgers or burritos, but mostly they just contain a wind-proof longsleeve shirt, a first aid kit, and a hat (also some tools, bungie cords, etc). Despite that, they seem to always carry this kind of stale sour smell no matter how long I leave them open to air out in my garage.

Should I chuck a container of baking soda in there? This has got to be a problem someone else has solved.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If wanting color-matched hard cases is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

This is probably a decent question for the Dadbike thread. How do you keep the stink out of your saddlebags? The bags on my Road Glide are air tight, and I'll occasionally use them for transporting cheeseburgers or burritos, but mostly they just contain a wind-proof longsleeve shirt, a first aid kit, and a hat (also some tools, bungie cords, etc). Despite that, they seem to always carry this kind of stale sour smell no matter how long I leave them open to air out in my garage.

Should I chuck a container of baking soda in there? This has got to be a problem someone else has solved.

Never run into that issue with saddlebags. You talking sour as in mildewed? If so, clean them out with diluted bleach and put a couple packets of silica dessicant or DampRid in there and see if that helps.

The trunk on my sidecar reeks of concentrated old lady perfume, something to do with the gel coat/liner coat that's on the fiberglass. The smell goes away if I leave the trunk open to air out but comes right back once it's been closed up for a couple of days. Baking soda helps but doesn't fix it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

Do they have the carpeted liners? Maybe some febreeze? Or pull the carpets and wash them

my goldwing reeks of old man cigs (this is very on-brand for me, as my first goldwing reeked of mouse piss), so leaving the bags open to air out is really my only option

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Leather ones on Bob weren’t air tight and didn’t stink…

Yours: I would take ‘em off, wash, rinse, dry, dry again with a hair dryer, then keep silica pouches in there under everything else.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I don't think I've done a bag dump recently, but I went to organize my poo poo and figured I'd take a photo and inventory everything so I can actually keep track of what's in there.

Right Side (photo)
Kuryakyn saddle bag organizer
Registration
AMA card
MotoMedic Instructions
Gerber Multitool
Lightning-USB Cable
USB Micro-USB Cable w/ USB-C Adapter
EZPass
Locking carabiner (for securing my helmet to the rack on the bike)
Wind-proof Harley Davidson shirt
ALPAKA Elements Hat
Saddle bag recess organizer from storagepouches dot com

Left Side (photo)
Kuryakyn saddle bag organizer
Excedrin
Motrin
USB to 12v adapter
Luggage rack key
USB wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter (seriously)
HD glasses case
Microfiber cloth
Arlen Ness air intake cover (for rain)
Kryptonite cable lock
Kryptonite rotor lock
MyMedic motorcycle first aid kit (which I'm not unpacking because getting it all back in there would be a chore; image below)
Another saddle bag recess organizer

Organizer (Right)

Zip ties
Trash bags
SAE allen wrenches
Torx wrenches
Adjustable wrench
Tiny baby SAE wrenches
Tiny ratchet with screwdriver adapter
1/2 7/8 5/16 sockets
Screwdriver bits
Disposable oil funnels
Tire repair kit

Amber glasses from.. Willy G, I think?

Organizer (Left)
A shitload of bungies and cargo nets

Since it's easy enough to just leave it in there, this is what I take with me every day. If I'm going a long distance, I'll also throw a qt of oil in there and a spare visor, as well as rain gear.

Alright dads, whats in ya bags?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy crap, I don’t carry nearly as much. My left bag has my toolkit and owners manual, as well as the cup holder for when I need it, my right bag has a bunch of bungee cords for carrying stuff for work. My rear box has nothing, but there is a sub-trunk in it that has my registration and insurance and stuff.

Passenger seat storage has nothing, the left side fairing cubby has the power cable for my gps, the right hand one has some cables like the headset audio cable and my phone aux cable.

I guess I travel light.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy crap, I don’t carry nearly as much. My left bag has my toolkit and owners manual, as well as the cup holder for when I need it, my right bag has a bunch of bungee cords for carrying stuff for work. My rear box has nothing, but there is a sub-trunk in it that has my registration and insurance and stuff.

Passenger seat storage has nothing, the left side fairing cubby has the power cable for my gps, the right hand one has some cables like the headset audio cable and my phone aux cable.

I guess I travel light.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't bring nearly that much with me if it didn't fit so snugly into those storagepouches bags. There's these weird recesses in the stretched saddlebags that gently caress up anything you want to put in there, and the pouches give it a pretty uniform bottom. So most of that can be an emergency kit without robbing space that I'd otherwise take up with groceries or burritos. If I had to get rid of anything, I don't really do much with the Kryptonite locks, since I'm really only locking the rotor up if I stay somewhere overnight, but that doesn't give me a ton of space. The biggest object is the first aid kit, but that's probably the best emergency thing to have. Fortunately I've never ridden with anyone who's seriously hurt themselves (except for one dude who crashed into nothing at all in front of a Walgreens), but a kid wiped out on his bicycle as I was in a convenience store and asked if I had any bandaids, and I had to tell him no.

If I put the trunk on I don't have anything at all that goes in there, but I can fit my helmet and my wifes completely in the trunk, and I'll stick our jackets into the side bags. If I'm going to a meeting I'll usually just plop my entire work backpack into the trunk so I don't have to think about squeezing it into a side bag, which has the added benefit of not having to drag a helmet into a meeting.

Oddly I keep almost nothing in my car. I have a 14x8x6 metal box in my trunk full of emergency stuff, first aid kit and flares and whatnot, my center console has just the cable for my phone and some excedrin, and the glove box just has my owner's manual, registration, flosser toothpicks, tissues, and a mask just in case. Somehow I carry considerably more on my Harley than in my car.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
does strapping down an orthopedic butt pillow make this a full dad bike now?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Othopedic butt pillows automatically grant +5 Dad to any bike they’re applied to

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not even sort of ashamed to admit that I have a cupholder coming from Amazon this weekend.

Today I had the good idea to grab lunch and eat by a river, which is conveniently a relaxing 20 minute goldwing ride away.

I got my food, which went in the top box and my drink, which I wound up having to stash in the fuel filler door. It worked pretty well actually, but wasn’t convenient, and it spent a solid 5 minutes being blasted by hot engine air.

Cupholder it is, then

A pic from said lunch

Two months later. Different bike, same place, same cupholder, same dad energy

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

1991 Goldwing
"Running when parked"
Has a title
$250

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's the first ad I've seen in a while where "has title" doesn't add much value

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lol that seat. someone must had added that on and rode it around

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That looks like someone’s failed chopper project. The seat gives it away

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

1991 Goldwing
"Running when parked"
Has a title
$250

Honestly, I'd buy it. Always wanted to try building a fighter wing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Uhhh yeah I’m failing to see the problem here, fellas.

That’s a buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

1.5 liter flat 6 motor is just begging for a cool project. It’s like a mini Porsche engine, or a VW motor on steroids.

Or strip the bike to its bare minimum and have the fastest goldwing around.