Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I hard reset the S5 watch and my battery seems to have stabilized. It’s 8pm and I’m at 70%. It’s not quite apples:apples since I didn’t do an hour of jog tracking this morning for weather reasons, but given that by this time yesterday I was below 10% I doubt one jog session can account for 60% of my battery.

Or maybe it can and I’m too optimistic. I’ll find out tomorrow when I resume my regular routine.

But thanks anyway, in advance, if that was the resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Very similar thing happened to mine and it worked fine after that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone else have an issue where the green LEDs stay on when you take your watch off? It’s a little annoying and seems to really kill the battery life. I’ve made sure to finish whatever exercise I’m doing as well.

Also you know when the watch recognises you’re doing an activity and asks you to confirm - is there any way to accept using your voice rather than touching the screen?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The laser keeps going a bit after you stop the workout so it can track how quickly your heart rate goes back down to baseline.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, for three minutes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, I just randomly checked my S6 battery health and it’s at 79% and telling me to get it serviced. I am truly battery-cursed with watches.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

drat, I just randomly checked my S6 battery health and it’s at 79% and telling me to get it serviced. I am truly battery-cursed with watches.

that's wild. my s4 (picked up 19/01/2019) is at 83% and ive never given a poo poo how i charge it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

83 on a s6 too. That’s not great for something 18 months old tbh.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

84% on my S5 I got in March of 2020. Dunno why it’s holding up better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My launch day S4 just hit 79%. Get on my level at preserving batteries. :smug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
93% on my release S6. Daily charges, no AOD.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

96% on my S6 that's 1 year old as of June 16, 2022.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
Launch day S6 is at 94% with daily overnight charging and keeping the Always On Display set to On.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My watch loses battery faster if I'm not wearing it, which is kind of weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my launch day SE is at 87%. Its coming up on 3 years old I guess?

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
7 month S7 @ 98% Max Capacity. Got it November 3 without realising it had practically just been released. Usually have half battery at the end of the day when it goes on the charging dock.

Background refresh is off, always display on but a darkish background and on medium brightness (2/3) Must be a few other settings I tweaked but can't remember them atm.

edit: I turned off environmental sound tracking also. Default haptics. No sound notifications. Background refresh off was probably the biggest saver. Everything else on.

iPhone 11 Pro Max is at 87% health and that’s since NYE 2019. I try to maximise battery savings to keep the battery health good for a few years.

adeadcrab fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 26, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I have a charger by my desk so I keep mine pretty topped off most of the time but my launch S6 is still at 93% maximum capacity.

Good thing the battery is holding up since from the sounds of it the S8 is going to have the same SOC as the S7, which was the same SOC from the S6.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Good thing the battery is holding up since from the sounds of it the S8 is going to have the same SOC as the S7, which was the same SOC from the S6.

This is frustrating...I hope it's not true. I'd only upgrade my S6 if the S8 has a better SOC. Not that the S6's SOC is bad, I just don't see a reason to upgrade to a watch that is functionally the same..

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Almost 2 year old s5 with 83%.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Edit: Stupid connection issues. It said that it could not post but it did.

So…how about them apple watches? We got my daughters SE watches back in January. They are working perfect as an alternative for cellphones. This past week, we went to Denver and they were able to message us or walkie talkie us the entire time.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 27, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I think I got my S6 when it released and it's on 97% but i'm a weirdo who turns the watch off on days when I don't use it.

I bought my mum an S7 to replace her S3 from I think 2016? That was on 83% and i'm pretty sure she used it every day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yeah, that kind of sucks. It also means any battery gains are going to have to come from software (probably unlikely at this point), or lower-powered sensors. Since my S6 battery is now poo poo, I was tossing around the idea of getting the S8, but unless it's got some new killer feature, being on the same SOC is super meh and not really moving my needle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can also just have the battery swapped for $80

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$80 is a significant chunk of a new watch purchase, so if the next series does end up being a big upgrade it's worth considering holding off. I wonder how much Apple sales dip in July/August as people start to anticipate things.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

20% of the price of a new one just to replace a battery on an old one is a bit steep. That's like what they charge on a $1000 phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It’s also much more difficult than on an iPhone.

Either way, if there’s not much change from the S5 to S8 then $80 is still much cheaper than $400

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

$80 is a significant chunk of a new watch purchase, so if the next series does end up being a big upgrade it's worth considering holding off. I wonder how much Apple sales dip in July/August as people start to anticipate things.

Most normal people don’t think about when iPhones get announced. Probably more are aware than I guess some products , but most people just buy a new phone / device when their old one wears out, it isn’t planned.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I seem to have scratched my new S7 more in a month than the previous 5 years combined on my S2... are they making them out of cheese these days, or am I getting clumiser?

How much tougher is the steel one, for next time?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My S6 is scratched to poo poo way beyond what my 3 and 5s were. Like, almost to the point where I don’t know if I could sell it for more than like $50.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the hell are you all doing with your watches?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My poverty spec(aluminium with white sport band) 44mm s6 hit pretty much everything and neither the screen nor the metal body is damaged. I think the steels have a different glass material which is more shatter resistant at the expense of scratch easiness.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the hell are you all doing with your watches?

I mean, I play hockey, run, go to the gym, swim, chase kids, and bang it on door frames.

But I did all that with my S3 and S5, and the S6 is showing way more scratches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

My poverty spec(aluminium with white sport band) 44mm s6 hit pretty much everything and neither the screen nor the metal body is damaged. I think the steels have a different glass material which is more shatter resistant at the expense of scratch easiness.

I've never gotten a scratch on a steel or titanium one through multiple watches.

I've had a whole-rear end screen fall off though, so who fuckin' knows. (I did not super glue it back together and give it to a friend)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I mean, I play hockey, run, go to the gym, swim, chase kids, and bang it on door frames.

But I did all that with my S3 and S5, and the S6 is showing way more scratches.

I don't believe they've changed the process or materials for the aluminum watches so I am not sure why that's happening to you. I would definitely the monthly AppleCare depending on how often you replace your watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't believe they've changed the process or materials for the aluminum watches so I am not sure why that's happening to you. I would definitely the monthly AppleCare depending on how often you replace your watch.

When my battery goes to poo poo :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I hope the rugged Apple Watch rumors come true :pray:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I hope the rugged Apple Watch rumors come true :pray:

I have never heard of this rumor. I doubt they'd do this. They have never made a 'rugged' product to the best of my knowledge, even though there's absolutely a market for a rugged tablet or phone.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

To clarify, it's about the glass in my case. I have some scuffs along the top bevel (? curvy bit) which I think is from hitting a doorframe. But I also have more of a gash on top of the bottom right complication, which sucks. My own fault, I do stick my hand inside metal boxes for a living.

SlowBloke posted:

I think the steels have a different glass material which is more shatter resistant at the expense of scratch easiness.

Wait, so the expensive one's glass is *more* scratchable?

I'd pay even bigger bucks next time for a magical rugged glass that you can scrape with a scalpel and see no damage. Given that I have the cheapest one though, I will embrace the roughness :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The higher end models (SS and up) have that synthetic sapphire which I believe is MORE scratch resistant because it's harder.

edit: I had a major brain fart, yeah that should be more scratch resistant.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's the opposite of how it works. Harder means more scratch resistance, but also more brittle. (Natural) sapphire is a 9.0 on the Mohs scale - only diamonds can scratch it. (Apple's synthetic sapphire may be a little weaker than natural, but I can't find anything about that.) The Ion-X glass is softer, so will scratch easier, but is harder to crack.