Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soul Glo posted:

Ms Marvel Ep3: this whole Djinn turning evil immediately feels super unearned. She didn’t even deny helping them, she just had a wedding to go to lol
Yes this was also my biggest problem with the episode

I was just talking to my wife about them almost certainly turning out to be villains, and maybe a scene or two later they go after Kamala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

I think there's a decent chance the Djinn heel-turn will get "earned" in episode 4. I think it's possible that Mama Djinn's timetable got moved up by something else. Like, "It's fine. Let the girl take some time. This will be much easier for all of us if she's truly willing." "Sure, but I just saw Solomon Jr. at the airport." "What? That fucker that traps our kind in lamps? Well, screw patience. That little bitch needs to get us outta ASAP willing or not."

I know you like making up plotlines but this is ridiculous.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shageletic posted:

I know you like making up plotlines but this is ridiculous.

I think that exact example is a by hyperbole, but I can see it happen. It's quite possible that there is some kind of timer which started the moment Kamala wore the bangle. It was urgent all along, but originally they thought the soft approach would yield results by the deadline.

Maybe for their specific purpose they need to do it before Kamala has learned to fully control her powers, because that is bound to kill her.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 26, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The Djinn's fast heel turn was jarring, because the show has basically been hitting all of the beats it wanted to hit, but it is a 6 episode show, when it probably should have been 8-10. Now that Disney is making MCU shows that are structured like TV shows and not an extended movie, or a place to dump MCU busy work, they need to rethink the 6 episode format. Let the show's content dictate whether it needs 6, 8, or 10 episodes

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Azhais posted:

Agents of shield is the only on screen place where they talked about how evil the darkhold was previously that I can recall

Third season of Runaways revolved around the Darkhold as well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gee I wonder if a book called "The Darkhold" is evil

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If a show doesn’t explicitly tell me that a black book called the Darkhold that’s shown with scary music all the time is evil, I will assume every other possibility first.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Edmund Lava posted:

Third season of Runaways revolved around the Darkhold as well.

There was a 3rd season of Runaways?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There was a 2nd season of Runaways?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even the first season was a big disappointment, they had the perfect story already mad, and they decided to go their own way.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Oasx posted:

Even the first season was a big disappointment, they had the perfect story already mad, and they decided to go their own way.

It was made too early. (I think the series used part of the movie script which was phase one) At the time there only was super science and aliens so the Pride was a lot less interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TyrantWD posted:

The Djinn's fast heel turn was jarring

And how. I honestly wondered if I hadn't missed an episode.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/status/1532948361891807232

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IagU74GaeA

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Episode 4 is live.

Show continues to not miss a beat, I cannot believe the difference in quality between this and most other MCU stuff (that I also usually really like).

Ep 4 spoilers Waleed went out like a loving boss, what an absolute chad move he pulled off there. A moment of decision, and without hesitation he gives his life to protect this baby nerd Kamala like everyone should. Didn't feel forced or contrived, it was a much more "in the moment" realistic hero move than most of these dying mentor moments tend to be. RIP you glorious bastard, I hope your friends are strong enough to carry you and your massive balls at your funeral.

Nani is a treasure and I swear to loving god nothing better happen to her. Seeing the mum becoming the rebellious child getting told off by her own disapproving mother is a classic switcharoo. Mum sitting there eating the milk toffees and realising what that meant... I dunno why I keep making the mistake of watching this in the dustiest room of the house.

And holy poo poo, Disney going all in on showing the pain and distress of the Partition. The house of mouse really said "gently caress the British Empire" and I am here for it.

Show owns. Show owns so loving much. I will not be taking questions at this time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

okay I'm going out for pani puri

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
MCU TV: It's a Napping Pillow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought this ep was a bit on the weak end. I totally get the importance of exploring Kamala's roots, the problem is that there was no Bruno/Nakia/most of her family and those dynamics are the best part of the show. I also think the whole stumbling on a secret society thing was very cliche. The Red Dagger actor was great though and I loved the tuk-tuk chase. And yes going full in on how poo poo the Partition was was aces

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I think this is definitely one where they should have dropped the 6 episode format (or had longer episodes) and had 8. The first two episodes seemed great for pacing, wheras the last two felt like they needed some more time for both plot and exposition. Other than that it continues to be awesome and the ending was definitely the episode 4 cliffhanger disney+ mcu shows seem to have embraced.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Is it just me, or is the Disney plus player super laggy? It feels like there are half the usual frames.
I'll be honest, that episode lost me a bit, it was kinda boring.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 29, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really liked this episode! I think because I myself have never been to Pakistan or even seen much of it depicted anywhere before, it all felt like a chill touristy vlog with Kamala being great in every scene.

Also, all in on turning this show into a reverse harem anime.

Are there really only two episodes left? Tragic!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

And holy poo poo, Disney going all in on showing the pain and distress of the Partition. The house of mouse really said "gently caress the British Empire" and I am here for it.

Americans didn't do it so it's fair game - come back to me when we have a Cambodian superhero who talks about what Henry Kissinger did to their country, or a Vietnamese character or etc

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I didn't hate this episode but it seemed like a noticeable dip in quality compared to the first three which were amazing.

I didn't find any of the actions scenes very exciting. There was some ridiculously pat, predictable dialogue (if you didn't finish her mother's "I didn't need stories..." in your head with "I needed my mother" before she said the line, then you're very different from me). The plot was equally predictable (obviously the bad guys escape; obviously the leader red bandana guy gets killed sacrificing himself to help the younger ones escape, obviously if Kamala helps the bad guys go home everything will get hosed up). And for the first time in the series there's some awkward stuff that seems like this show needed more time in the oven: they fly in at nighttime and then suddenly it's daytime when they arrive at grandma's house; there's a scene where the scammer who obviously doesn't know the way to the train station gives her obviously fake directions and then we cut to the train station and I guess actually that guy was on the level and that scene was pointless; the banter when she first meets the red scarf kid is bland and lifeless and also none of the people like 20 feet away noticed a superhero fight; why are they eating biryani with spoons instead of their hands?; the green screen for the scene with the grandma looking out over the kites was janky; etc.

But I didn't hate it. Iman Vellani is still doing an amazing job pulling silly facial expressions, that ending scene was pretty cool, and Kamala asking if food is spicy before she eats it is funny. And that sloth is wonderful.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Are the Red Daggers a thing in the comics or something new for the MCU?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I really like this show but the 6 episode format is suffocating as hell

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rarity posted:

I thought this ep was a bit on the weak end. I totally get the importance of exploring Kamala's roots, the problem is that there was no Bruno/Nakia/most of her family and those dynamics are the best part of the show.

I agree, I hope we get back to the US relatively fast during the next episode

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Technowolf posted:

Are the Red Daggers a thing in the comics or something new for the MCU?

As an organisation? No. Comic!Red Dagger is Karachi's local superhero, who learned his moves by watching youtube and practicing a lot.

As a character? Yes; he's Kamala's main love interest, even. After she visits Karachi, decides to go superheroing, messes it up through lack of local context and meets him he shows up in Jersey the next year and then *he's* the clueless outsider. There's an extremely slow runaway train involved. Such teamup tension. Very amaze. Other Kamala-like words.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I want more Zoe. How are they supposed to fall in love, if she's not even around all that much?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So grandma was rich as gently caress it looks like. That is not normal living conditions there. I was vibing with the stuff in Jersey as it seemed somewhat normal but that was a bit much. Aside from that though it was a pretty great episode and entertaining throughout. Unsure why grandma was potrayed as an nincompoop with a phone but seems pretty drat coherent and smart in person.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When are we finally going to get the winged sloth stuffed animal?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I liked the call back to Kamala rembering to say "bismillah" before starting the car.

Is that a Pakistani/Muslim tradition? Or is the joke just that she's really poo poo at driving?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I thought that episode was kind of a mess.

But entirely because it felt like 3 episodes got cut down into 1.

She bought her domino mask at the bazaar, right? That's the implication? That's a weird like, 5 second scene to choose not to show, that would probably have been fun vs keeping in the polaroid guy, which... felt weird and unnecessary and then didn't lead to anything because she just popped up at the train station anyway (also she has a phone)

And I have no sense of the time scale of this episode
Go out to brunch? meet up with cousins for afternoon shopping, go meet red daggers, go home to see Nani, go back out at night to red daggers campfire (there's an outfit change so probably a different day?), come home for toffee, go back to red dagger HQ the next day for training, that's when the Clandestines show up
Like is this three days? A week?
Isn't Kamala in deep poo poo with her mom, but then she's just running around uncollared the whole time?

I do not intend to be nitpicky, I still enjoyed it, I just thought it crammed way too much content into a 40 minute block of time without the editing chops to make it work

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Unsure why grandma was potrayed as an nincompoop with a phone but seems pretty drat coherent and smart in person.

Have you ever encountered an elderly person?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh right, the decision to turn Damage Control into H.A.M.M.E.R. in the MCU is...certainly a choice. What's a little police brutality between departments anyway? Lol remember when Tony Stark used to co-own this group

Sockser posted:

She bought her domino mask at the bazaar, right? That's the implication? That's a weird like, 5 second scene to choose not to show, that would probably have been fun vs keeping in the polaroid guy, which... felt weird and unnecessary and then didn't lead to anything because she just popped up at the train station anyway (also she has a phone)
Bruno made her the domino mask in the last episode.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Oh right, the decision to turn Damage Control into H.A.M.M.E.R. in the MCU is...certainly a choice. What's a little police brutality between departments anyway?

Seems like an odd choice to have them capture the Clandestines and then immediately let them escape, with almost zero effort.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The only thing I disliked was the Clandestines casually breaking out, like why even have them get caught if they can escape a government facility and leave the country without any issue? Just have them avoid getting caught in the previous episode and have a 10 second long scene where one of them says "we have to lay low, there's Damage Control agents all over the place" and they head to Karachi anyway since they apparently know Kamala is going there.

Agree that the short season/series lengths are becoming more of an issue with these Disney+ shows. 8 episodes is fine for a character that has been introduced and established in the movies but it's not enough for new ones.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I'm still enjoying the show just fine, it's pretty good superhero hi-jinx being carried by some extremely enjoyable actors. They have wobbled a bit these last two episodes just kinda, jumping around a lot and I'd agree they could probably have done with adjusting the pacing or having more episodes because of how they've chosen to do the plot but it's still good. However this comment kinda raised an eyebrow a bit.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

8 episodes is fine for a character that has been introduced and established in the movies but it's not enough for new ones.

Sorry but how is 8 episodes not enough to introduce a character and tell a story? If each one is around 40 minutes give or take then that's nearly 6 hours, much longer than any movie. I feel like that's giving the people writing these shows too little credit or too much slack or something. There's loads of shows that have introduced way more poo poo going on and then resolved it in the space of a single series. I'd say the Netflix shows did a pretty good job of introducing the characters and telling a full story and even felt slightly bloated at times still.

Edit: I forgot this show specifically was 6 episodes in any case but I still would say that 220 minutes give or take is a long enough time to tell a decent story, introduce a cast of characters and resolve said story (potentially setting up some stuff for the future).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 29, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Unfortunately, it's only 6 episodes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sockser posted:

Isn't Kamala in deep poo poo with her mom, but then she's just running around uncollared the whole time?

Her mother says they should have a truce on their fighting and Kamala being grounded on the plane, because she doesn't feel they should be dragging that poo poo through a visit to her mother. On that note, I feel for the poor schmuck who just tried to make small talk with Kamala to help her relax and then got caught up in family drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You're right, it's even shorter than I said. And maybe it's just a perception thing but I feel like most of these series so far have resolutions that resolve way too quickly and as a result things feel rushed trying to cram a whole origin, villain, and conclusion in. The Netflix shows have their valid criticisms but they at least had 13 hours to work with, not 4ish.