Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

B B posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1542142703491850241

If I am being honest, this sounds really bad. Hopefully someone in power does something about this.

I can guarantee something will be done. Can you gurantee you will Give us money? If not nothing can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTReg7an5/?k=1

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 29, 2022

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Yinlock posted:

She's very much a Hillary understudy, from the inability to feel human emotion to the stone-cold certainty, based on nothing at all, that she will be president. Appealing to nobody at all is just part of the package.

Biden is pretty old and she is the vice president, it's not the most unreasonable thought.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

B B posted:

If I am being honest, this sounds really bad. Hopefully someone in power does something about this.

I once thought someone like Neera Tanden came up with Ultra-MAGA, but no, that’s a Joe Biden special.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Central Banker panel that has some interesting discussion into their thoughts, ideas, and how oblivious they seem to be. Currently nearing the end as of this post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC0kD3UvqxA

Q12022 final GDP numbers ended up being worse than initially estimated coming in at -1.6%. Excess inventories which was originally estimated to make up -1.01% is only making up -.36%. Productivity and consumer spending both revised down.

Q22022 gdp first real estimate will not drop until the 27th of July, but right now estimates that I have seen are in the range of -1.1% to .3%. Most likely q2 will be negative. I think the reduction in government spending will be what does it in.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 29, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

B B posted:

Trying to frame this as a Trump thing and not the thing republicans had been aiming to do for many decades is some poo poo messaging alright.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Flying-PCP posted:

Ok but is this more about Democrats who want a party that's more honest about what it is, or Liz Cheney/Mitt Romney camp Republicans rebelling against MAGA-ism? Not that it likely matters much..

I suspect a Moderate Party on the ballot will hurt Republicans more than it will Democrats here in NJ. Especially in the purple areas, of which there are many. NJ has plenty of MAGA-happy deep-red strongholds, no doubt, but it also has a lot of folks who, despite their conservative leanings, consider themselves moderate and don't love how far off the deep end the Republican Party has gone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Supreme Court just rolled back most of the effects of a 2018 decision on tribal rights that Gorsuch wrote.

5-4, with Gorsuch joining the liberals and writing a furious dissent about how the majority are playing politics and not reading the constitution honestly. He compares their decision to Andrew Jackson flouting tribal sovereignty laws just to make a point that they have dominion over the land and any tribal sovereignty only exists because they allow it. He also says that the court is acting like "the rule of law means nothing."

Would be a lot funnier if the reason it is so funny wasn't also so depressing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Supreme Court just rolled back most of the effects of a 2018 decision on tribal rights that Gorsuch wrote.

5-4, with Gorsuch joining the liberals and writing a furious dissent about how the majority are playing politics and not reading the constitution honestly. He compares their decision to Andrew Jackson flouting tribal sovereignty laws just to make a point that they have dominion over the land and any tribal sovereignty only exists because they allow it. He also says that the court is acting like "the rule of law means nothing."

Would be a lot funnier if the reason it is so funny wasn't also so depressing.

Yeah, after Louisiana it doesn't seem like they're bothering to hide it anymore. Like Jaxyon said in the SCOTUS thread, the time of pretending has passed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Finishing reading the Oklahoma decision and Gorsuch is really mad.

The Court won't let me copy and paste decisions without weird formatting errors, so here is the final page of his dissent.

Says the court has failed its duty and basically prays that congress or a future court completely dumps this decision.

quote:

One can only hope the political branches and future courts will do their duty to honor this Nation’s promises even as we have failed today to do our own.

Would be hilarious to see him hoisted on his own petard so thoroughly if that petard hadn't already done so much damage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

HonorableTB posted:

Remember in late 2015 and 2016 throughout the GOP primary? There was a popular series of videos called "You can't stump the Trump", that relied heavily on memes and used Krewella's song "Centipede" to help glue together a pro-Trump chud identity. They called him and each other nimble navigators, "pedes", those videos were a rallying point for the terminally online chud faithful and it helped create a community of proto-brownshirts where there wasn't one before.

I remember coming across those when they were first coming out and I thought they were hilarious - but I thought they were legit making fun of him.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

HonorableTB posted:

Speaking of chud propaganda, that's a key thing the Dems lack, and it ties directly into their lack of any kind of ability at all with messaging. I'm going to do something strange and that is praise the chud propaganda, but I want you to bear with me.

Remember in late 2015 and 2016 throughout the GOP primary? There was a popular series of videos called "You can't stump the Trump", that relied heavily on memes and used Krewella's song "Centipede" to help glue together a pro-Trump chud identity. They called him and each other nimble navigators, "pedes", those videos were a rallying point for the terminally online chud faithful and it helped create a community of proto-brownshirts where there wasn't one before. Hell, I was posting nonstop in the Dem primary threads about caucusing for Bernie in 2016 and even I found the Can't Stump The Trump videos to be fun (caveat, that is no longer the case and I now recognize them for what they are and I did not necessarily recognize them as such when I was stupid at 25-26 years old). That's very effective propaganda. That's just one example. You can use the Pepe meme as one, pick a 4chan meme out of a hat and it was used for propaganda purposes, but all of this begs the question: where was the Left's propaganda?

Sure, you had Bernie "I am no longer asking..." memes, Gritty, and the like. But the Left's propaganda has always lagged far behind the Right's. The Left is awful at creating unifying messages that are simple and easy to digest - what's the Leftist counter to something like "nimble navigator" and the like? It seems stupid, and in a vacuum it is, but placed into context, the Left is far worse at any sort of community building either online or in person compared to the Right.

The key to any ideological battle is in messaging - getting your view across to as many people as possible, as simply as possible. Leftists get bogged down in wonky policy and infighting that it prevents them from coming up with easy-to-consume unifying talking points, and this is going to continue hurting the Left going forward because there's just NO messaging whatsoever right now, let alone GOOD messaging, or messaging that can be turned into propaganda.

We need to be able to distill our points down to memetic talking points if we are to garner any kind of support among the population. There's just too much going on at once for anyone to just go check a candidate's campaign site or research on their own. If we can't get our points across in two sentences or less, we will not be able to win people over. If you're explaining, you're losing, and the chuds figured this out a long time ago.

The left's brain trust is a fractured mess of people who will become severe ideological enemies over differences in political ideology. A lot of people who want to advance a leftist ideology today are high level intellectuals who are not used to talking to people of variable backgrounds. We also have a problem in that we tend to write off our political opponents or improperly sell our politics such that its easy for the right to frame our ideas as "Taking away your truck. Taking away your hamburger." And in many circles some of those things are the only comforts they have despite being dirt poor and needing assistance elsewhere.

In other words the left has a severe deficit of social skills and salesmanship skills with a "my way or the highway" attitude that alienates a shitload of people who would otherwise be amenable to the issues proposed. Its why America has such wide ranging support for leftist issues despite the GOP getting shitloads of votes. We sound like a bunch of shrieking moralist crusaders who want to take away all the fun and good in life.

I'm of the opinion that you need a person like Huey Long who is willing to do morally questionable things in the advancement of a leftist ideology. I do not think politics is fair or moral and is strictly about power at any costs and thus requires a degree of corruption and strong personalities to carry the whole movement forward. There never would've been a Bolshevik takeover of Russia without Lenin's single-minded and relentless pursuit of political power. We need a guy like that here, who has the salesmanship skills to steal many of the people we ideologically despise right here in this thread. Because the ancestors of those same people were out there agitating for labor rights and new deal era policies during the depression and then we lost them in the 1970s to Reagan.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

You are incredibly lucky to live in New Jersey, then.

They just formed a third party called "The Moderate Party" and will be running candidates and gaining ballot access in 2022.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/us/politics/new-jersey-moderate-party.html

I cant get in becauae of the paywall - Are there policy objectives in the article? Anyone who talks like that strictly speaks in platitudes, because "moderate" policies always seem to be "Republican policies, but with less visible racism".

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm of the opinion that you need a person like Huey Long who is willing to do morally questionable things in the advancement of a leftist ideology. I do not think politics is fair or moral and is strictly about power at any costs and thus requires a degree of corruption and strong personalities to carry the whole movement forward. There never would've been a Bolshevik takeover of Russia without Lenin's single-minded and relentless pursuit of political power. We need a guy like that here, who has the salesmanship skills to steal many of the people we ideologically despise right here in this thread. Because the ancestors of those same people were out there agitating for labor rights and new deal era policies during the depression and then we lost them in the 1970s to Reagan.

Whatever happened to Huey Long anyway?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

Whatever happened to Huey Long anyway?
He became a very important lesson about the need for leftist leaders to pay attention to their personal security.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Meatball posted:

I cant get in becauae of the paywall - Are there policy objectives in the article? Anyone who talks like that strictly speaks in platitudes, because "moderate" policies always seem to be "Republican policies, but with less visible racism".

The policy objectives aren't spelled out, really, so much as just "pull both parties toward the center," but I think you're spot-on in your assessment: They want Republican policies, but with less visible racism. That's why I feel it'll hurt the GOP more than the Democrats throughout the state. I know we've come to think of the Republican who hates the far right as something of a mythical creature, but in NJ they're a not-insignificant chunk of the electorate.

Gotta remember, too, that Trump's name was mud among a whole bunch of working-class and small business folks throughout red-leaning South Jersey because they all got to know him and his bullshit through his Atlantic City dealings.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 29, 2022

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It would be nice if Manchin, Cuellar, and the like went to a third party, but it’s hard to see how a “American moderate” party isn’t just republicans like Liz Cheney while the democrats remain as is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cat botherer posted:

He became a very important lesson about the need for leftist leaders to pay attention to their personal security.

Another very important lesson, the list of leftist leaders the U.S has murdered rolls out the door like a cartoon parchment

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
post roe laws already affecting access to medical contraception.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1542165563283210242

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1542159111827210241?t=yrEALbFdkOXusr3AlObHzw&s=19
The usa is reportedly producing 12 million bpd too. So much demand destruction will be needed before this happens in october. I'm in awe of what may be coming.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Long wasn't assassinated by the U.S. government. He was shot in public by the son of a rival politician whose district he just gerrymandered out of existence a earlier that day.

Even the conspiracy version of the events where Long's bodyguard secretly killed him in the middle of the fight would have required Long to be tricked into a rivalry with Weiss for a decade, his own bodyguard for decades to have been in on it, and for all the pro-Long judicial apparatus to be tricked into covering up Long's assassination that was planned by FDR years before he ran for President because FDR was afraid of losing an election as an incumbent President where he won 48 states and won the popular vote by a mind-blowing 25% margin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know that they can be controversial in some politics, but the irreverent political comedy podcast Chapo Trap House had the most cogent analysis of the fallout of the Dobbs decision I've heard so far, and what to expect from both parties going forward. It's hardly going to be revelatory to anyone in this thread, but I really appreciated having it all spelled out so plainly and clearly

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/640-roe-wasnt-burnt-in-a-day-62822

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1542159111827210241?t=yrEALbFdkOXusr3AlObHzw&s=19
The usa is reportedly producing 12 million bpd too. So much demand destruction will be needed before this happens in october. I'm in awe of what may be coming.

Ae people just flush with cash and using git to drive everywhere? Man, it sure would have been a great video to goose the electric car market 10 years ago.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ae people just flush with cash and using git to drive everywhere? Man, it sure would have been a great video to goose the electric car market 10 years ago.

We are shipping it to Europe. Thr majority of Americans are no longer "flush with cash".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Finishing reading the Oklahoma decision and Gorsuch is really mad.

The Court won't let me copy and paste decisions without weird formatting errors, so here is the final page of his dissent.

Says the court has failed its duty and basically prays that congress or a future court completely dumps this decision.

Would be hilarious to see him hoisted on his own petard so thoroughly if that petard hadn't already done so much damage.

Gorsuch is interesting because he has this one particular area of law on which he has consistently good opinions, and then the rest of his entire personality is trash. That's still better than Amy C. Barret, or Judge Beer, or god forbid, Thomas.

I think it would be tolerable to have an ideologically balanced court -- i.e. some conservative justices, if they were more like Gorsuch and less like the beer weeper.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr Hootington posted:

We are shipping it to Europe. Thr majority of Americans are no longer "flush with cash".

Yeah, I'm always amused by the 'flush with cash' thing as if Americans weren't catching up on bills or buying necessities with the meager little flutter of cash our overlords bestowed upon us.

The 'flush with cash' was like step one into providing the basic needs of Americans and it broke the whole loving thing lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Inflation adjusted gas prices are still about 20% lower than they were at the beginning of 2008. China and other countries with large populations are rapidly increasing in demand for oil and the supply is going down because most of the "easy" oil from fracking and inland wells has been extracted and the only options are more expensive offshore or deep well extraction.

So, prices on gas will keep going up and up until we either find a massive untapped supply of oil that is easy to extract, large parts of China/Canada/The U.S./E.U. convert to the Amish faith, the entire world reduces the amount of petroleum products (including things made of plastic, oils, or produced by machinery that uses oil or natural gas), or they find a way to efficiently capture and store energy from another source that is as portable and cheaper than gasoline.

Basically, we aren't even at a point as bad as June 2008 and if people are upset about it now, then they need to get ready to start really crying for the next decade. We had the financial crisis and fracking to bail us out of expensive gas in 2008, but unless the whole world shuts down again or they discover some new cheap untapped source of oil, then demand is only going to rise and supply is only going to fall going forward.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, I'm always amused by the 'flush with cash' thing as if Americans weren't catching up on bills or buying necessities with the meager little flutter of cash our overlords bestowed upon us.

The 'flush with cash' was like step one into providing the basic needs of Americans and it broke the whole loving thing lol

As I've watched the discourse evolve and change I feel the "excess savings" propaganda was just cover to justify or signal price increases would be ok. An interesting change in how "excess savings" is talked about is I'm seeing "excess equity" being used with or replacing "excess savings".

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The flush with cash comment is coming from a good number of polled Americans saying their personal financial situation is good, but their view of the economy is bad. The general question was why demand was up.

Lets at least hope the economic cost of oil might actually push some renewables into competitive pricing. Shifting the transportation industry away from oil as quickly as possible seems like a better idea every day.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The price is mostly going up because psychotic oil execs must have record profits every single year.

e: From what I can see "Flush with cash" was generally just a way to blame inflation on the scraps reluctantly given to the poor and not the trillion+ handed out to corporations at the drop of a hat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Long wasn't assassinated by the U.S. government. He was shot in public by the son of a rival politician whose district he just gerrymandered out of existence a earlier that day.

Even the conspiracy version of the events where Long's bodyguard secretly killed him in the middle of the fight would have required Long to be tricked into a rivalry with Weiss for a decade, his own bodyguard for decades to have been in on it, and for all the pro-Long judicial apparatus to be tricked into covering up Long's assassination that was planned by FDR years before he ran for President because FDR was afraid of losing an election as an incumbent President where he won 48 states and won the popular vote by a mind-blowing 25% margin.

Did anyone say he was killed by the US government? I don't see it but you're not quoting who you replied to do I might have missed it. But there were right wing paramilitaries organized against Long, multiple right wing conspiracy theories to kill him, and was killed by the relative of a right wing politician because Long was gerrymandering him out. FDR was afraid of him running, not because he would lose to Long but because Long would split the vote and then become more popular Ina worsening depression. Him and his people considered it incredibly fortuitous that he was killed.

Long was not killed by the US Government but he was absolutely killed by right wing politicians because of his politics and the government was not upset about this because they viewed him as that. I think that all agrees with the idea that any left wing firebrand who came to power would want to be concerned for their safety. I mean hell, they tried to kill AOC on 1/6 so it's not like being a left wing politician isn't still putting your life into your hands.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

Did anyone say he was killed by the US government? I don't see it but you're not quoting who you replied to do I might have missed it.

Yinlock posted:

Another very important lesson, the list of leftist leaders the U.S has murdered rolls out the door like a cartoon parchment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dems are running out of time to fill vacant court seats before they probably lose the Senate in November, and as of right now there is zero urgency to speed things up

https://twitter.com/matthewstiegler/status/1542132738404278272?s=21&t=9tj-OrjhB_8HxWWR4O4Egg

(Thread)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The flush with cash comment is coming from a good number of polled Americans saying their personal financial situation is good, but their view of the economy is bad. The general question was why demand was up.

Lets at least hope the economic cost of oil might actually push some renewables into competitive pricing. Shifting the transportation industry away from oil as quickly as possible seems like a better idea every day.

Just today Powell said the bottom half of Americans no longer have excess savings.

Edit: here is a very good quote from the panel today.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1542144745505525762?t=YhuEFnsJTCIRrtoUcE6_0A&s=19
We all need a smile from time to time 😃

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 29, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh, I read that as US as in the country since they didn't say government. The country, through it's citizens, individual politicians, armed police, AND government conspiracy has a hell of a body count for left wing leadership.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Meatball posted:

You can see the whole thing if you open the link in a private/incognito tab and stop loading the page before the subscription popup loads.

To answer your question: not really, no. It's mostly about the practice of fusion voting (letting multiple parties nominate the same person) ala New York, and doesn't have much about this particular "party". Tom Malinowski, a Democrat, has accepted its nomination and tried to get on the ballot as their nominee while already being on the ballot as the Dem nominee. This is apparently explicitly not permitted under New Jersey law, which the new party is aiming to challenge using him as a test case. He was rejected the same day the NYT article was published.

All I can find googling them, which is mostly references back to the NYT article or this local news article, contains no actual policy positions at all beyond partisanship bad, centrism good. As near as I can tell, this has more to do with Malinowski taking a chance to engage in a publicity stunt meant to appeal to disenchanted Republican voters than the establishment of an actual third party. It mostly seems like the pet project of one Republican dude who can't bring himself to say he's voting for a Democrat and swung some nonprofit support via the fusion voting challenge. It doesn't have any website, social media presence, or even a wikipedia page that I can find.

Malinowski previously barely beat the same guy running against him now 50.6 to 49.4, and his district is now redder after redistricting. He also joined the Problem Solvers Caucus in 2021, so this would fit with his apparent overall strategy to try to hang on to his seat.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 29, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Dems are running out of time to fill vacant court seats before they probably lose the Senate in November, and as of right now there is zero urgency to speed things up

https://twitter.com/matthewstiegler/status/1542132738404278272?s=21&t=9tj-OrjhB_8HxWWR4O4Egg

(Thread)

There's no rush, unless it's Trump's judges then we have to fast-track them all immediately.

Not sure where the government is specified there. The moral is still if you're a leftist leader that can't be corrupted then some of the ruling class will Take Steps to deal with you and the rest will pointedly look the other way.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sorry. Saw my point was already addressed

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

B B posted:

Let's examine this for a second.

First it frames the Roe overturn as a Trump thing as opposed to a Supreme Court thing. Obviously those are his appointees but they're as much the darlings of the conservative Congress as they are 'Trump's picks.'

More importantly, Biden is saying that women's rights are in danger, the rights of half the population, which is about as close to an absolute existential crisis as you can get. Realistically the President should be using every tool in his arsenal to protect that - leading marches, joining sit ins, organizing groups, spending his not inconsiderable influence to protect and embolden civilian groups, etc. And yet Harris, a matter of hours ago, basically said, 'But do what now' as if to say their hands are tied and there can be no further action.

The next good president needs to be prepared to do something legally questionable and bad for their career to protect the rights of the people in this country because we are rapidly reaching the point where good political leaders need to be revolutionaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kraftwerk posted:

The left's brain trust is a fractured mess of people who will become severe ideological enemies over differences in political ideology. A lot of people who want to advance a leftist ideology today are high level intellectuals who are not used to talking to people of variable backgrounds. We also have a problem in that we tend to write off our political opponents or improperly sell our politics such that its easy for the right to frame our ideas as "Taking away your truck. Taking away your hamburger." And in many circles some of those things are the only comforts they have despite being dirt poor and needing assistance elsewhere.

In other words the left has a severe deficit of social skills and salesmanship skills with a "my way or the highway" attitude that alienates a shitload of people who would otherwise be amenable to the issues proposed. Its why America has such wide ranging support for leftist issues despite the GOP getting shitloads of votes. We sound like a bunch of shrieking moralist crusaders who want to take away all the fun and good in life.

It's always very clear who's only interaction with the modern left is reading terminally online people, and who's actually doing work in that space.

You can tell by their complaints.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)