Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I went to the Laconia flat track races yesterday and spotted this extremely reliable duo in the parking lot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a drat shame about the sxv because it really is one of the best looking bikes around and the best looking super moto by far.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a drat shame about the sxv because it really is one of the best looking bikes around and the best looking super moto by far.

Babe, what's wrong? You haven't finished your 50 mile rebuild.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I say this every time I see one, but the SXV with the Akrapovic exhaust is to this day one of the best sounding* bikes I've ever heard. Just raw screaming hooligan

e: spellin

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 13, 2022

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. I love v-twins and I love supermotos. If I had a bigger garage, I'd love to have one parked in it.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Trying out the new Sena 10C Evo

Daytime lanesplitting over the bridge. (Volume warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPOSmE6dUvA

Nightime "Oh poo poo, wait that isn't for me lol"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNAeTYmhlv0

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At a local dealer trying on a jacket, and look what's still there

Bonus shot of the 80sest motorcycle detail I've ever seen, never mind when it was actually made

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Big Boobs come on

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Big Boobs come on

Big Boos come on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
tired: bold new graphics
wired: old boo graphics

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Phy posted:

At a local dealer trying on a jacket, and look what's still there

does the price tag include replacing every piece of rubber on the bike? (only half kidding)

I've seen the disc guard thing on old interceptors and goldwings, but do they serve any purpose at all on a dirt/adv bike or is it just extra weight there for looks

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keeps sticks out of the disc

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Am I crazy or does that price seem... not that bad, for a dealership?

Or have I misjudged the Cycle Asylum Cool Factor to Actual Value ratio

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Well, it's not too crazy NOW. Here near NYC, people are trying to hawk Ruckuses for $2,500, the Honda Navi apparently is going for $1000 over MSRP, 30-year-old bikes on Craigslist being advertised for $3K, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s not terrible for a dealer price. The rarity combined with the fact that it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line means they could probably ask a lot more.

A lot of dealerships don’t want to deal with vintage bikes though and just want them out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The price is better than you're thinking, that's Canadian dollars

E: there were a few untreated rust spots up close, it ain't assembly-line fresh by any means. Also requires a furtive glance around the dealership before you pilfer the mirrors off the KLR to the left

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 17, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Last month we were driving in a ritzy part of Phoenix, when this pulled up along side. My partner pointed it out what a good looking "chopper" it was; then we discussed what classifies bikes into different name categories and how there's lots of in between. Her sense was the more space there is between the fork and the frame (more rake), the more it looks like a chopper. In any case, can anyone identify this? It looked absolutely CLEAN

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Russian Bear posted:

In any case, can anyone identify this? It looked absolutely CLEAN

It’s a Suzuki.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh wow really?!?!?!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It clearly says it’s a Suzuki Yoshimura :smuggo:

GS750 maybe? I don’t know their whole line but that engine looks very much like a clone of a DOHC CB.

It’s got a cafe racer seat and the airbox is removed and replaced with pod intakes that don’t work. These two things usually come as a set.

Edit: oh, laff, the forks say “Yoshimura” too. I was proud of myself for being able to read the katakana :shobon:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 20, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Poorly cafe'd gsx750 yeah. There is zero travel in that rear suspension one way or another.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

He picked a good road to ride with no rear suspension on I suppose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, Suzuki GS### of some sort, dropped with a seat and some clipons.

~slowmo Vimeo footage of an angle grinder shooting sparks plays~

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
Decided to go up to Cat & Fiddle pass this evening for a change, it's about an hour there so I don't go that way all that often. It used to be one of Britains most dangerous roads, but now it has 50mph average speed cameras all over it.

As a special fun dampener for the summer they appear to have recently 'resurfaced' it with just tons of loose gravel across the whole road, so that was a treat.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My fiancee started looking through her pictures from our recent trip to IOM and Scotland.

Pretty pleased with that. :swoon:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fifty Three posted:

My fiancee started looking through her pictures from our recent trip to IOM and Scotland.

Pretty pleased with that. :swoon:

Great picture. Did you get any video too or just stills?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Just a few stationary flybys with spectators (including me) hooting and hollering in the background, I'll see if I can get them uploaded in a sane format.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

builds character posted:

Great picture. Did you get any video too or just stills?
Intentional double post to update: Here's one I took with my phone, once she pulls the rest off of her camera I'll see if there's anything good but I'm pretty sure she just did bursts.

https://i.imgur.com/jiYFmOK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ay7YWef.mp4

Right-click for sound.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 27, 2022

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Brilliant. I love how far away you can hear the sound of the approaching bike. Brings back happy memories!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Man I can't get over the layout of everything there. Having raced on several purpose built road courses it looks absolutely suicidal to me to allow dozens of people to stand around on the outside of a high high speed turn like that with no barriers. I'm sure it looks like no big deal if you see hundreds of bikes zoom past with no incident for a week, but all you need is one rabbit running across the street at the wrong time (which has happened) and that bike is cartwheeling into the crowd.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That crowd knew what it was getting into when it dressed like that and furthermore, the TT is one of the last true blood sports of the Roman variety and it would cheapen it if you took spectator death off the menu :colbert:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Man I can't get over the layout of everything there. Having raced on several purpose built road courses it looks absolutely suicidal to me to allow dozens of people to stand around on the outside of a high high speed turn like that with no barriers. I'm sure it looks like no big deal if you see hundreds of bikes zoom past with no incident for a week, but all you need is one rabbit running across the street at the wrong time (which has happened) and that bike is cartwheeling into the crowd.
That's an easy spot, it doesn't even have any jumps! :v:

Also worth mentioning- those were the slow bikes. The Senior bikes are apparently ~30mph faster at that spot and that race was delayed until the next day due to a sidecar tragedy and weather, we missed it due to our flight out.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

North West 200 is kinda the next notch up from the TT in danger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfL4D5BdXRw

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

One of the things that impresses me most is how these guys even know where they're going, especially at the speeds they're doing. Navigating a purpose-built short-circuit is fairly easy. You have good sight lines, there's plenty of time to see the corner coming, the track is short and you can memorize direction changes after a few laps. The TT circuit is 60km long. That's over 4x as long as the 24 Hours Le Mans circuit, which is mostly straight lines. And that's just memorizing direction changes. Add in the "track knowledge" like where there's bumps, wet patches, bad pavement, or whatever, and it's truly wild.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Fifty Three posted:

Intentional double post to update: Here's one I took with my phone, once she pulls the rest off of her camera I'll see if there's anything good but I'm pretty sure she just did bursts.
Hell yeah! Fantastic spot. How was the process of booking travel and stay (assuming you don't live nearby?) I'd love to go one of these years but it will take some logistics and $$.

Caught their new paid streaming coverage this year, did a decent job of coverage considering it's such a long, race against the timer, course that spans such wild geography. Senior race had some really intense battles for podium in the last couple laps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

One of the things that impresses me most is how these guys even know where they're going, especially at the speeds they're doing. Navigating a purpose-built short-circuit is fairly easy. You have good sight lines, there's plenty of time to see the corner coming, the track is short and you can memorize direction changes after a few laps. The TT circuit is 60km long. That's over 4x as long as the 24 Hours Le Mans circuit, which is mostly straight lines. And that's just memorizing direction changes. Add in the "track knowledge" like where there's bumps, wet patches, bad pavement, or whatever, and it's truly wild.

You can remember every bump and turn of a 60km commute after a few days, you have to do x amount of slow practice runs before you're allowed to participate at even the lowest level afaik.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

You can remember every bump and turn of a 60km commute after a few days.

Completely true.

I still remember where all the potholes and seams at bridges and tarsnakes are in Stirling, despite having moved almost a year ago.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hell yeah! Fantastic spot. How was the process of booking travel and stay (assuming you don't live nearby?) I'd love to go one of these years but it will take some logistics and $$.

Caught their new paid streaming coverage this year, did a decent job of coverage considering it's such a long, race against the timer, course that spans such wild geography. Senior race had some really intense battles for podium in the last couple laps.
We flew into IOM through Dublin and took a bus from the airport to downtown Douglas, that part was easy. IOM sells bus passes at the airport info desk that are good for 1/3/5 days etc. On race/practice days there are both normal IOM busses for the main cities/towns and special TT busses that will take you anywhere you'd like to go along the track, including most of the campsites I think. IOM's bus website can be confusing because certain race days use specific day of the week schedules, but spend a bit of time studying it and you'll figure it out. Leading up to the TT that site had a special TT section with the modified schedules and info on the special TT busses. The main bus stand in Douglas had volunteers in hi-viz helping people figure out what bus to take, shout out to them they were delightful. We ended up catching a normal bus to Crosby at around 7am and walked from there to The Crosby, an awesome little pub with picnic benches and friendly people and cheap beers all day. Don't tell your friends. Got there at 7:30 and benches were already being taken, the pub wasn't even set to open until 9am. Roads closed at 10am and reopened after the day's racing was over, caught a special TT bus back into town. Road closure times and race schedules varied based on the weather and were posted on the evenings prior on IOMTT's Facebook.

The last day of racing, as Redvenom mentioned in another thread, is a national holiday in IOM so everyone was partying and in a great mood except for one geezer who mocked us and tried to start a debate with us because we were wearing masks and there were concerts and fireworks over the water in Douglas at the end and oh my god it was just overwhelmingly cool. Like a Forza Horizon festival brought to life. We flew out of IOM to Edinburgh to continue our trip.

Lodging we got very lucky and found an AirBnB right downtown as well. It was expensive, but I expected that with how late I was booking. The first few AirBnBs I contacted tried the "we can book offline and promise you a room!" :lol: nope. Would highly recommend booking as far in advance as a hotel or campsite will let you. Campsites can be reserved directly through IOMTT's website, I believe, and most hotels don't list their rooms on Expedia etc. Gotta book those directly.

If there's any other specific questions you have I'm happy to answer, hope you can make it work and go, it's seriously an incredible experience and I'll remember it forever.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 29, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

You can remember every bump and turn of a 60km commute after a few days, you have to do x amount of slow practice runs before you're allowed to participate at even the lowest level afaik.

I mean, maybe? I think these guys are riding so fast they need to react to things before they can necessarily see them, eg in the NW200 clip the guy starts braking at 0:55 for a corner he doesn't even tip into until 1:02 (granted there is traffic), and at least in the video I can't even see the corner until 1:00. I routinely ride a 70km loop, and while I'm not surprised by anything on it, I think that's because I've developed my road-reading abilities (and have adequate bike control) that it may feel like riding by rote. I personally ride based on what I can see not on what I think may be next. I don't think that's what those guys are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are thinking 2-3 corners ahead, it's what you do when you're riding fast on a road you know, it isn't that hard but it's only possible when you have literally none of your conscious thought devoted to operating the bike itself. It took me years to get to that point. You basically go out of your body and visualize the corner you can't see yet but know is there, the corner you're actually riding through right now is already in the past and irrelevant.