Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
CR > Skyfall > NTTD > Spectre > QoS imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
QoS is may have had the worst directing of the 5. It's bad, but there are some things I liked about it. Olga Kyralenko is great, making QoS one of the rare times that Bond doesn't gently caress the main girl.

As for Spectre, someone might as well have zapped me with the neuralyzer from Men in Black after I walked out of the theater, I've never seen a movie that left an impression so little.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

QoS is I think the shortest of the Craig Bonds, so it has that going for it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked QoS, shaky cam not withstanding. Olga was owning.

Here's my ranking of the Roger Moore bonds!

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
2. Octopussy
3. For Your Eyes Only
4. Live and Let Die
5. The Man with the Golden Gun
6. A View to a Kill
007. Moonraker

I know Moonraker fans, I hear ya, and the laser gun is great on Nintendo 64.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Queering Wheel posted:

seems correct to me op

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

QoS had some good action at least (plane chase!), Spectre's was mostly pretty boring (except, er, the snow plane chase... Hmm)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

I go back and forth on whether Spectre or Quantum is the worst Craig Bond film, but this is otherwise correct. I might end up using this ranking only because Spectre has a pretty great pre-title sequence, whereas the one in QoS is incomprehensible, and might be the worst in the whole series.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The opera scene in QOS is rad and cool and good. I even like that it has a boring rear end (and real) plot of capitalists trying to control Bolivia's water supply.

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's my ranking of the Roger Moore bonds!

I'd never rank Octopussy above FYEO but it's one of those movies I always like a lot more while I'm watching it. Kind of drags at the end though.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 29, 2022

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Discovering that everything bad that's happened to Bond so far has been, as a result of Blofeld loving around with Bond because... reasons... is top 3 worthy alone

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

spectre has the best theme song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLiDemXYSLc

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Spectre is probably going to go down as the worst Craig bond for me due to the inherent insult it represents. I understand that it's something that someone with background information on the series would notice, but I noticed. I said it before in another thread so I'm just gonna quote myself.

Magnetic North posted:

They expect me to believe that they planned out to have Blofeld be his brother from the start? When in 2006 you didn't even have the rights to use Blofeld in movies due to the longstanding lawsuits. A conflict that got to the point that the studio sent up a giant middle finger 25 years earlier in For Your Eyes Only. They were so sure that multi-decade squabble was going to end, and the rational thing to do in that case is to introduce a Spectre-in-name-only called Quantum in their second movie post-reboot. If they want me to believe that, gently caress them because apparently they think I'm loving stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FYEO is definitely up there as a top Moore film, ironically for the same reasons Moore hated it. The studio was trying to rein in the campiness and make something more mature, so it's much closer to Fleming's books in tone (including some scenes taken very closely from his short stories) and does neat subversions of old Bond cliches like the Citroen chase. Melina Havelock is one of the very few Moore-era females to not be cringey or useless.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Queering Wheel posted:

This is probably correct but my personal rank would flip QoS and Spectre. I enjoy quite a few elements of QoS whereas Spectre is just dreadfully boring except for the opening and the train fight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

Spectre is probably going to go down as the worst Craig bond for me due to the inherent insult it represents. I understand that it's something that someone with background information on the series would notice, but I noticed. I said it before in another thread so I'm just gonna quote myself.

I have a similar, somewhat irrational resentment for Spectre. My grandfather, who was about 85 at the time, was a big Bond fan in the past but he hadn't seen any of the more recent Bonds. After Skyfall I felt pretty confident that whatever they were gonna do going forward would be self-contained enough that I could bring my grandfather to see it and he would be able to follow the story. Instead we get contrived nonsense about everything connecting back to the previous Craig Bond films and my grandfather ended up completely lost. I felt bad about it and it still feels lovely now thinking about it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Spectre is worse, because if nothing else, I can at least remember there was some goofy plot about stealing an underground river in QoS. I can remember absolutely nothing about the plot of Spectre.

That movie flowed over and past me, leaving nothing in its wake.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The weekly planet podcast guys brought up a point about the "evil mastermind is actually your brother" plot, also seen in fast and Furious 9. The bad guy is arranging all these situations and mechanations against our hero because of jealousy. But what if Bond didn't end up becoming a superspy? What if he became a gardener instead? Would Blofeld become an anti-gardener, salting the earth everywhere he went?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

stratdax posted:

The weekly planet podcast guys brought up a point about the "evil mastermind is actually your brother" plot, also seen in fast and Furious 9. The bad guy is arranging all these situations and mechanations against our hero because of jealousy. But what if Bond didn't end up becoming a superspy? What if he became a gardener instead? Would Blofeld become an anti-gardener, salting the earth everywhere he went?

It's so lazy because these family members are always completely unmentioned before they show up. It happens in 24 too except it's Jack's brother AND father! (who they really messed up by not casting Donald Sutherland)

F9 was particularly insulting because FAMILY

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 29, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cacator posted:

It's so lazy because these family members are always completely unmentioned before they show up. It happens in 24 too except it's Jack's brother AND father! (who they really messed up by not casting Donald Sutherland)

F9 was particularly insulting because FAMILY
24 was especially egregious, because they'd already used Graem (Jack's brother) as a villain the previous season, where he kept saying things like "We need to deal with Bauer" to his fellow smoke-filled room conspirators. So they should have been replying "Say, that's your name too. Weird coincidence, huh?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
They could at least have had a Solid/Liquid Snake deal. And a Metal Gear. The finale of Spectre is like a parody.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They should just do a bond movie about him trying and failing to kill Virginia Giuffre thats his modern relevance lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mameluke posted:

They should just do a bond movie about him trying and failing to kill Virginia Giuffre thats his modern relevance lol

I still lol at how Diamonds are Forever's plot is hey you gotta stop these super poor people from smuggling out like one or two small diamonds every couple of months show no mercy and then the space laser/Blofeld thing is just sort of stumbled into during that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

I still lol at how Diamonds are Forever's plot is hey you gotta stop these super poor people from smuggling out like one or two small diamonds every couple of months show no mercy and then the space laser/Blofeld thing is just sort of stumbled into during that.
"The profits of one of the world's most exploitative and malevolent companies are being slightly diminished? We'll put one of our top state-sanctioned assassins onto it right away!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Payndz posted:

"The profits of one of the world's most exploitative and malevolent companies are being slightly diminished? We'll put one of our top state-sanctioned assassins onto it right away!"

I prefer the moonraker book plot for that kind of tomfoolery.

"Look bond, I know you're our best assassin, but I have a personal favor to ask: This guy at the club keeps cheating at cards. Take. Him. Down."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I prefer the moonraker book plot for that kind of tomfoolery.

"Look bond, I know you're our best assassin, but I have a personal favor to ask: This guy at the club keeps cheating at cards. Take. Him. Down."

This is still the only Bond book I've read but yeah the setup rules.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
My Bond opinion is that any Bond movie with extensive underwater fighting or action is boring as hell, and automatically one of the worst. Don’t know why, it’s just enormously boring to me. Doesn’t matter what happens in the rest of the movie, it’s straight to the poo poo pile.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Von Pluring posted:

My Bond opinion is that any Bond movie with extensive underwater fighting or action is boring as hell, and automatically one of the worst. Don’t know why, it’s just enormously boring to me. Doesn’t matter what happens in the rest of the movie, it’s straight to the poo poo pile.
underwater battles are the worst

next to when they speed up the film to make it look like the cars are driving faster than they are

and lets not forget the tire screech sound effects on gravel/snow

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Little late, but I do have to say movie Pussy Galore is an improvement over the book version who is a lesbian until James changes her mind through the power of his penis.

"I thought you didn't like men." "Never met a real one before."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Von Pluring posted:

Case in point: Thunderball and its minutes of confusing underwater combat. I guess you could argue the same of Moonraker's space laser battle.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is still the only Bond book I've read but yeah the setup rules.

The opening to Thunderball is great too. M goes on a wellness kick, demands Bond does the same and dispatches him to a heath retreat where one of Bloggers's henchmen also happens to be staying. Then Bond and the henchgoon are kind of just petty dicks to each other

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

The opening to Thunderball is great too. M goes on a wellness kick, demands Bond does the same and dispatches him to a heath retreat where one of Bloggers's henchmen also happens to be staying. Then Bond and the henchgoon are kind of just petty dicks to each other

The books do seem like they put more of a focus on how extreme Bond's abuse of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes is. I love him just stirring speed into his champagne at the card table in Moonraker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The stay at Shrublands in Thunderball was directly based on Ian Fleming's own forced retreat to a health clinic by his doctor. Most of the book's description of it is identical to the real place (Enton Hall) down to the layout of the rooms. Fleming, rather than having a feud with an enemy agent, just repeatedly snuck out with a friend to go drinking.

Bond's alcohol and cigarette consumption is basically what Fleming did, and why he died of a heart attack at 56. I read a letter of his that I think was to his wife and he was counting the drinks he was making as he typed. He hit 5 gin & tonics by the end.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The books do seem like they put more of a focus on how extreme Bond's abuse of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes is. I love him just stirring speed into his champagne at the card table in Moonraker.

it's cliche, but it is consistently surprising to me that Archer is essentially just a James Bond adaptation with more jokes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Famethrowa posted:

it's cliche, but it is consistently surprising to me that Archer is essentially just a James Bond adaptation with more jokes.

Like half the jokes in Archer are just putting the subtext of James Bond into text.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Adam Reed even originally conceived Archer having a British accent. However, when they cast H. Jon Benjamin, Reed thought Benjamin's signature dopey voice fit even better.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

AceOfFlames posted:

Adam Reed even originally conceived Archer having a British accent. However, when they cast H. Jon Benjamin, Reed thought Benjamin's signature dopey voice fit even better.

I think it works better that way; a British accent would have been a little too on the nose. This way they've had the freedom to lampoon lots of different spies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I dunno if I'd call John H Benjamin's voice 'dopey', though the Coach McGuirk voice might be close? Archer's whole thing isn't even that he's stupid, but kind of insane and has incredibly skewed priorities in every aspect of his life. (Actually reminds me of Invader Zim of all things in that aspect)

iajanus posted:

I think it works better that way; a British accent would have been a little too on the nose. This way they've had the freedom to lampoon lots of different spies.

It's like how I think Austin Powers came up a while back; superficially it's a James Bond parody because that's all most Americans know, but it draws a lot more inspiration from Euro spy flicks.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah maybe "dopey" was too harsh. I just couldn't find an adjective to properly convey his signature voice. I love everything Benjamin does but his characters do tend to be various shades of not terribly bright/lazy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edna Mode posted:

Little late, but I do have to say movie Pussy Galore is an improvement over the book version who is a lesbian until James changes her mind through the power of his penis.

It's not. James Bond rapes her and she falls in love with him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alhazred posted:

It's not. James Bond rapes her and she falls in love with him.

Yeah, they just made it less obvious, but stroooooonggggllllyyyy hinted she is a lesbian by the standards of what they can get away with at that time, and he still obviously forces her to have sex "till she likes it."

And then watch Catch Me If You Can which accurately illustrates how teens and young men of the time started idolizing James Bond after that movie. I think it might have actually caused a lot of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah maybe "dopey" was too harsh. I just couldn't find an adjective to properly convey his signature voice. I love everything Benjamin does but his characters do tend to be various shades of not terribly bright/lazy.

That's fair, there's a certain distinct cadence to it. I think the key thing is it works well for characters who aren't stupid necessarily, but all the more hilarious when they do and say stupid things. The Master in Venture Bros comes to mind as a character who's entire competent and powerful, but also a huge troll.