Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
This is a level of anime that I can’t comprehend. Couch started to explain plot and lore and how the game came to be and my eyes glossed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do not trust the vibes of anyone who portrays themself as a 'demon child'.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I don't think I have seen a single moment of this game because I can not get past this vtuber avatar and its deeply uncomfortable connotations

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Uh actually they are vocalids and canonically 5000 years old and I also have no idea if she/her refers to just the avatar or to the person behind it or both? I don’t know the rules of being an anime.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This game looks great graphically but gameplay-wise seems like made to be speedran instead of played casually by me while tearing my hair out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

yeah might be an unpopular opinion but I don't like vtubers in these types of events, remote when the rest of the group is live is one thing, it just feels like another barrier or interaction...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Photex posted:

yeah might be an unpopular opinion but I don't like vtubers in these types of events, remote when the rest of the group is live is one thing, it just feels like another barrier or interaction...

I'm not the biggest Vtuber fan but I understand how they give people a way to express themselves and is especially helpful for people with social anxiety about their appearance. If GDQ wants to be more supportive and inclusive I can get why they'd wanna get Vtubers on board.

Just... not one whos persona is a loving 'demon child' :yikes:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Eh, let people live how they wanna live and run how they wanna run so long as they ain't hurting no one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
people need to stop being weird about vtuber avatars

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Eh, let people live how they wanna live and run how they wanna run so long as they ain't hurting no one.

See the otherkin etc arguments hit a wall when it's a child avatar, child coded, in children clothing. That has been pretty well established as not ok.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I really don't care at all what the runner looks like.

Instead of "this has never happened before" we got "this has sometimes happened"

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

I can't hear you while listening to my ironmouse yt playlist while drinking coffee out my nyanners dino chicken nuggies coffee mug.

I just said i didn't like them in these types of events, not that I don't like them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah and my post stands

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

site posted:

People aren't being weird for being offput by an adult portraying themself as a child

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The actual run was fine and very fast paced. If you like the various Gunvolt runs you'll probably enjoy Cogen too.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

if the vtubers were fully animated that would be one thing, but most of them are like creepy ventriloquist dummies, barely animated.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Internet Kraken posted:

People aren't being weird for being offput by an adult portraying themself as a child

the model isn't sexualized at all so what's the problem

Chainclaw posted:

if the vtubers were fully animated that would be one thing, but most of them are like creepy ventriloquist dummies, barely animated.

i unfortunately discovered while trying to set up my own that good ones take a decent amount of hardware to run just by themselves, adding the game and streaming on top of it gets kinda intensive. plus you basically have to hire someone to do a professional job to model it and do all the emote work if you want it to look really good, which ya know, costs money (unless you already know how to work all those programs yourself)

site fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 29, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

actual full 3D models with proper face and body tracking are both extremely expensive to have done and require specific setups, whereas 2.5D models just need basic facetracking software you can get on any webcam and, while not a pittance, are at least within the budget of most people out there

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

What engine is this? Q1.5?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Any form of age regression is uncomfortable for most people to be around I think.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Photex posted:

Powerslave uses a custom engine called Slavedriver that was also used for Saturn version of Quake and Duke 3D.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Photex posted:

no the effects are all wrong for quake, i think this is build

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
powerslave exhumed looks kind of sick

e: oh its patches are current? nice!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have a local friend that does pixel art and they managed to wrangle up their own 2d avatar with hand drawn stuff and it’s pretty original and cool. I’m pretty sure her computer is poo poo too but she manages to stream on twitch. Maybe look into 2d instead of 3d?

DoctorWhat posted:

Any form of age regression is uncomfortable for most people to be around I think.

It’s this for me. It’s weird to hear an adult voice coming out of a young child avatar and makes me instantly judge the character/intentions of the person behind it but that’s my own bias I believe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
powerslave is great

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

poemdexter posted:

It’s this for me. It’s weird to hear an adult voice coming out of a young child avatar and makes me instantly judge the character/intentions of the person behind it but that’s my own bias I believe.

You know what fair, maybe it is my own bias/personal experience leading me to make judgments too and that's a failing on my part.

Vtubers overall are cool though. People get real creative with them and I've seen some cool ones.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I dislike them, but I generally dislike facecams anyway because I am an old gently caress with opinions about my content providers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I honestly find them less weird because they're more "obviously" fake than an actual human being putting on a character, not that all youtubers are "fake", but yknow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tunic is next on my to-play list, should i watch the run or will it spoil things

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

tunic is next on my to-play list, should i watch the run or will it spoil things

iirc tunic is really deliberately cryptic for people who love that poo poo about old adventure games so yeah skip it

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

It got a category upgrade to True Ending so I'm probably gonna bounce for that run.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i hope i can trust you all to donate and ensure the correct character wins the sonic advance bid war

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I just started it recently on Gamepass and am enjoying it a lot. It has a real old school Zelda-type mystery so I'd imagine a speedrun would spoil a lot of that, so I'm skipping it too. Can always check it out after I'm done with the game.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

oh this is a Nightdive Studios game, shame they are getting destroyed for how crappy their Blade Runner remaster is, hopefully System Shock is better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Photex posted:

oh this is a Nightdive Studios game, shame they are getting destroyed for how crappy their Blade Runner remaster is, hopefully System Shock is better.

the stuff they've shown of it looked really good but it's also been stuck in development hell for a while now. i'm not expecting anything amazing but it'll definitely be a big blow if it turns out to suck

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Tunic's gameplay elements are designed to be slowly revealed as you play, so seeing some of those later items and abilities (and especially how to use them) is a definite spoiler.

There's essentially no story or dialog to get spoiled on though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Tunic is probably my favorite game of the year. Definitely set yourself to invincible via the options, the combat sucks though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh baby, knuckles chaotix. this game is terrible but i bet it's a good speedrun

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this guy's hair has incredible energy, i'm jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is already very new zealand