Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

you're triggering a memory, I had a mech game right before I got my playstation, on 32x:

and it sucked lol!

I probably put like 5 hours into this game before I just got forever bored.

I like how they couldn't figure out anything useful to do with 2/5 of the dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to use a link cable between two gameboys to play mortal kombat. It was good!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to use a link cable between two gameboys to play mortal kombat. It was good!

Like probably ˝ the people I knew who had GBAs had link cables. Can't really do split-screen on them things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I bet Pokémon is responsible for 99.99% of all gameboy link cable sales.

What I’m saying is maybe they’d have sold a few more PlayStation link cables if they’d made a virtual cockfighting simulator first.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I bet Pokémon is responsible for 99.99% of all gameboy link cable sales.

What I’m saying is maybe they’d have sold a few more PlayStation link cables if they’d made a virtual cockfighting simulator first.

...or maybe if they'd had built-in screens like the GBs?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah that can’t be it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

head to head tetris on linked game boys was rad

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

This is the playlist of that cd (maybe) https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjkZEdKLYMYarji7IlyYLsOHXazj_ezLq&feature=share

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the sound of all of those monitors powering on at the same time, only constantly, is what tinnitus is, in case you ever need a reference :tipshat:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I like how they couldn't figure out anything useful to do with 2/5 of the dashboard.

Oh, the rest is doing something very important. Reducing the size of the rendering window

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Now I really want one of those tiny Trinitrons.

Ugh, same.

US people, what's the likelihood of a screen like that being able to do multisync? I'm guessing fairly low or zero? I know running PAL stuff in the US is way, way harder than it was me running NTSC back in the UK. It would be either over composite or s-video. I'm guessing I'd need to look into the PVM world which is above my spending budget as it's not exactly an urgent need.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I played that exact game like a week ago and yeah it’s bad

Did the 32x have any killer games? I just dumped the whole romset onto my retropie arcade machine because it’s 2022 and space is infinite, and I’ve been picking things at random but nothing really wows.

My favorite game on it was either Vitrua Racer or Virtua Fighter. Both games were also out in arcades at the time and it blew my mind I could play them at home. I had the sega CD as well so I had some games that required all 3 systems but they weren't very good.

Naw, 32x was kind of bunko, and playstation ate it's lunch and then some.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

My favorite game on it was either Vitrua Racer or Virtua Fighter. Both games were also out in arcades at the time and it blew my mind I could play them at home. I had the sega CD as well so I had some games that required all 3 systems but they weren't very good.

Naw, 32x was kind of bunko, and playstation ate it's lunch and then some.

I remember about a decade ago sometimes seeing 32X and Sega CD games CIB at various flea markets for like 5-15€ and always felt tempted but then just went :shrug:.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can’t live with those tiny screens anymore, I’ve been spoilt by giant phones.

I don’t have big hands but I’ve learned to love the popsocket which makes pretty much any large phone infinitely more one-handable.

If I could replace my phone with a stand-alone smartwatch in a slightly larger than Apple Watch form factor, I think I would. A 1.5-2" screen size, I guess. Preferably Android-based and able to run full Android apps, not just WearOS ones.

It would need all-day+ battery life, but I don't need 3D gaming power or anything, just calls and texts and enough power to run email, calendar, various messaging apps, maps, Firefox, Awful and a handful of other utilitarian apps, plus play music and YouTube videos. Anything heavy can wait until I'm at my PC.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Krazy Ivan could do it too, that’s the only game I remember having that had it on the box.

I never knew anyone who had a link cable though.

DooM did. I remember playing lonely 2 player death matches.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

KozmoNaut posted:

If I could replace my phone with a stand-alone smartwatch in a slightly larger than Apple Watch form factor, I think I would. A 1.5-2" screen size, I guess. Preferably Android-based and able to run full Android apps, not just WearOS ones.

It would need all-day+ battery life, but I don't need 3D gaming power or anything, just calls and texts and enough power to run email, calendar, various messaging apps, maps, Firefox, Awful and a handful of other utilitarian apps, plus play music and YouTube videos. Anything heavy can wait until I'm at my PC.

https://www.amazon.ca/Refly-Android-2700mAh-Battery-Smartwatch/dp/B07YCDGSHZ

Good luck, let us know how it goes

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That looks comically uncomfortable but also like some real Star Trek future poo poo.

I kind of like it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I played that exact game like a week ago and yeah it’s bad

Did the 32x have any killer games? I just dumped the whole romset onto my retropie arcade machine because it’s 2022 and space is infinite, and I’ve been picking things at random but nothing really wows.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the only reason I had one is because my parents found a cache of 32X stuff on clearance and went hogwild. I know we had a bunch of games, but the only two I remember were Doom and Star Wars Arcade.

Doom kinda sucked, but if you had a Mac and otherwise couldn't play Doom, you could now play doom :geno:

I did enjoy Star Wars Arcade, it was an updated version of the the old Star Wars Arcade cabinet :shrug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's hella big, I could just strap my current phone to my wrist instead.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Didn't some game(s) on the Sony Play Station home computer system allow you to hook up two systems (with two television sets, two copies of the game, etc.) to play head-to-head? I'm thinking Wipeout but could be dead wrong.

e: Wait, did I learn about it ITT just recently? Anyway :shrug:

ee:

Bushido Blade supported this too, for versus matches using the really bizarre first person mode.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember about a decade ago sometimes seeing 32X and Sega CD games CIB at various flea markets for like 5-15€ and always felt tempted but then just went :shrug:.

No game on 32x was better than WipeoutXL, Resident Evil, or Tekken. 32x was just kind of poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KozmoNaut posted:

That's hella big, I could just strap my current phone to my wrist instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Fallout-4-Pip-Boy-PC/dp/B00ZOFPNTY

Bethesda got you covered

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

No game on 32x was better than WipeoutXL, Resident Evil, or Tekken. 32x was just kind of poo poo.

Yeah and, I didn't have either computer system and working ones weren't easy to come by or cheap then.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Didn't some game(s) on the Sony Play Station home computer system allow you to hook up two systems (with two television sets, two copies of the game, etc.) to play head-to-head? I'm thinking Wipeout but could be dead wrong.

e: Wait, did I learn about it ITT just recently? Anyway :shrug:

ee:

Destruction derby and Krazy Ivan also supported. A friend and I dragged my TV into the living room and set that up to play those games like that. It was honestly underwhelming for the work involved.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

DooM did. I remember playing lonely 2 player death matches.

Deathmatch was sad but I got to play it co-op at a game rental place and I remember it working smoothly and being pretty fun.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
There’s a video but I can’t look for it… I did find a photo dump though:

https://imgur.com/a/PWYlo

5 80” flat screens
5 ps3’s
Grand tourism 5

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

namlosh posted:

There’s a video but I can’t look for it… I did find a photo dump though:

https://imgur.com/a/PWYlo

5 80” flat screens
5 ps3’s
Grand tourism 5
:getin:

quote:

The fifth and final screen was having major connection issues. This was solved by doing 16 updates.
Yep, it's definitely a PS3 game alright

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

one glorious summer in .. 2004? 2005 maybe? my friends and i played Zelda: Four Swords for the Gamecube with four GBAs and four GBA link cables and it was loving awesome.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Who was it that did an lp of four swords on original hardware by hooking up five gamecubes with four game boy players to five separate capture cards?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Me and my friends had about 2 LAN parties in the early 00's, but bahgawd they were glorious. Online gaming will never match playing Quake 3 in your friend's basement until 2 in the morning absolutely swimming in Mountain Dew and UFC videos.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Iron Crowned posted:

Me and my friends had about 2 LAN parties in the early 00's, but bahgawd they were glorious. Online gaming will never match playing Quake 3 in your friend's basement until 2 in the morning absolutely swimming in Mountain Dew and UFC videos.

UT 99 absolutely loaded with silly mods.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Who was it that did an lp of four swords on original hardware by hooking up five gamecubes with four game boy players to five separate capture cards?

Pokecapn with the stupendous GIGAQUAD (they used four GCs and a Wii) https://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Four-Swords-Adventures/

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

holy poo poo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

THE GIGAQUAD

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Once, one single glorious time, I got to play Warlords for the Atari 2600 with a full slate of four human players. It's ridiculously fun for a game that's essentially multiplayer Breakout.

e: Found a gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNNw8j1xA0

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jun 29, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

GIGAQUAD

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001