Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

tfw you believe you can't steal from your own company

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the Brad reference

crypto CEO, quotes in this post:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

About 75% of the XRP people across different forums and websites I've been checking have been cheering on the CEO and begging him to steal their money because if he steals it, then there is a theoretical chance they can exit the scam by scamming someone else, but if he gets shut down by the SEC, then they are only getting their money back at best and realistically are probably only getting a small portion back.

Guys, he would never steal $1.3 billion (even though he definitely didn't already steal $600 million) because he would have to abandon his lease! Open your eyes sheeple!

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

brugroffil posted:

I got strong Arrested Development vibes from that line, too.

Can anyone elaborate on why you’d pay $8.68 to move $10 of coins to a hardware wallet (isn’t that just putting it onto a usb stick or whatever)? Are the transaction fees somehow that high, or is this something where the various people trying to scam crypto bros with high APRs just have gigantic penalty clauses for withdrawing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Velius posted:

I got strong Arrested Development vibes from that line, too.

Can anyone elaborate on why you’d pay $8.68 to move $10 of coins to a hardware wallet (isn’t that just putting it onto a usb stick or whatever)? Are the transaction fees somehow that high, or is this something where the various people trying to scam crypto bros with high APRs just have gigantic penalty clauses for withdrawing?

It's basically the "We don't accept credit cards for purchases under $5" sign on cash registers X1,000.

The fees for selling the specific crypto float, the fees from the exchange float, and both of them charge a flat dollar amount + % of sale.

So, if you charge 10% + $7.50, then it costs $8.50 to remove $10.

But, it will "only" cost $107.50 to remove $1,000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what does this even mean?

"they had their money tied up in research"

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

It's basically the "We don't accept credit cards for purchases under $5" sign on cash registers X1,000.

The fees for selling the specific crypto float, the fees from the exchange float, and both of them charge a flat dollar amount + % of sale.

So, if you charge 10% + $7.50, then it costs $8.50 to remove $10.

But, it will "only" cost $107.50 to remove $1,000.

Do crypto “exchanges” really charge 10% loving transaction fees for any withdrawal? That’s kind of amazing. I though the scammy 3% fee funds that Raymond James and the like pushed were bad enough! I guess that helps reduce bank runs and feeds the 30% yield from “research”.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they put everybody's money in a big pile and are thinking about what they're gonna do with it

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s some guy trying to convince himself that it’s okay and normal for exchanges to become insolvent all the time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

brugroffil posted:

oh right the ripple guy lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/FungersTakingLs/status/1541822894682030081?s=20&t=IfeXOVSlx9-atcIQdjUFzQ

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tyro posted:

I was just looking for that denial report a few days ago to show to a friend, they've redesigned the site and I couldn't find it.

I found the original link and it’s 404ed but here’s the relevant part:

quote:

Within the next few months, Applicant purchased a firearm, a pistol, and took the required safety course, which included firing the weapon. He never purchased ammunition for the firearm and never fired it again. He told his spouse he bought the firearm because he knew doing so would upset her. Buying the firearm was part of a revenge fantasy of taking action against his spouse’s paramour that preoccupied Applicant for the next couple of years. In addition to buying the firearm, it included grave digging (two graves located in the woods), buying a cutting tool, and buying a canvas to wrap the body.

Applicant’s digging took place, weather permitting, during the months of about May–September on Saturdays when his spouse was at work. His spouse was aware of his digging activity in general because he bought a collapsible shovel for the task and he would put his dirt-covered clothing in the laundry. Applicant was careful in selecting a site in the woods where he thought his grave-digging activity would not be detected. Likewise, he brought along a book about fossils in the local region to use as a cover story in case he had to explain his digging.

Toward the end of the first summer in 2002, he had the impression that someone had discovered the hole, and so he found a new location in the same woods and began digging a second grave. His digging followed the same pattern in 2003 and 2004, when it ended. Applicant never confronted the paramour directly and spoke to him but once in 2002 on the telephone. Likewise, Applicant never went to the paramour’s home or place of work with the firearm or any other weapon. Applicant also sold the firearm and resumed counseling, which he has continued on a fairly regular basis until present.3 In addition, Applicant confessed his thoughts and actions to a priest in about 2003 or 2004.

His clearance got approved on appeal, I think he had gotten help he needed and was in a better state.

Yeah that site used to be a goldmine for BWM but now it’s just a long list of PDFs that aren’t categorized. I tried reading a few looking for someone setting up a mining operation on Pentagon computers or something and clicking randomly is mostly alimony issues, pot usage, or alcoholism issues.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sure thing mom let me just call up the guys running the money printer and we'll fix this right up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SettingSun posted:

Sure thing mom let me just call up the guys running the money printer and we'll fix this right up.

The money printer ain’t what it used to be

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That mom and kid deserve each other.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hyrax Attack! posted:

His clearance got approved on appeal, I think he had gotten help he needed and was in a better state.

Yeah that site used to be a goldmine for BWM but now it’s just a long list of PDFs that aren’t categorized. I tried reading a few looking for someone setting up a mining operation on Pentagon computers or something and clicking randomly is mostly alimony issues, pot usage, or alcoholism issues.

I was once used as a former coworker's reference for their security clearance. There were a few times at house parties and after work when some folks in our office were smoking some weed (which was legal in DC). This guy was very insistent that he never smoke it, because "I might want to get a security clearance one day."

During the interview, I considered telling the investigator that anecdote, to show that the guy was very intentionally on the straight-and-narrow. Then I was worried that if I told the guy, it might look bad for him because of the folks he was hanging around (even though we only hung out because we knew each other from work). So I ended up just keeping my trap shut. The guy got his clearance, and is apparently doing very well pulling in figgies as a DBA for some military contractor.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I was once used as a former coworker's reference for their security clearance. There were a few times at house parties and after work when some folks in our office were smoking some weed (which was legal in DC). This guy was very insistent that he never smoke it, because "I might want to get a security clearance one day."

During the interview, I considered telling the investigator that anecdote, to show that the guy was very intentionally on the straight-and-narrow. Then I was worried that if I told the guy, it might look bad for him because of the folks he was hanging around (even though we only hung out because we knew each other from work). So I ended up just keeping my trap shut. The guy got his clearance, and is apparently doing very well pulling in figgies as a DBA for some military contractor.

They would not have cared.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thanks!

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

/r/investing posted:

Is now a good time to invest in a restaurant?
I have an opportunity to invest in a restaurant. I think it's a bad idea and will very likely not invest but would like to discuss it if anyone here has experience in the food industry.

It's not a high end restaurant backed by a michelin starred/celebrity chef or anything, it's being opened by a group of 4 friends and will probably be in the $$ price range.

What I'm sensing though is that food prices are going through the roof. I think beef alone is up 30% this year and I see many restaurants struggling and closing right now as fewer people go out to eat due to real economic slowdown and perceived fears of further inflation and economic recession.

They seem to think that it's a good time to open a restaurant because renting a space is cheap... but it's cheap because of mass vacancies which can't be good for restaurants either, right? Also, I see "help wanted" signs at almost every single business I go to, and for the first time in my life I'm seeing signs at restaurants saying "apologies for the delay, we're understaffed"

What are people's thoughts on the current state of restaurants? I think $$$$ places are doing fine because rich people still have money to go out, but normal restaurants are suffering in my opinion.

Almost every reply is a solid "don't loving do this" including restaurant owners right now who break down some of their financials.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vice President posted:

Almost every reply is a solid "don't loving do this" including restaurant owners right now who break down some of their financials.
Might as well open up a travel agency, while they're at it. If that doesn't work out, maybe video rentals?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

B33rChiller posted:

Might as well open up a travel agency, while they're at it. If that doesn't work out, maybe video rentals?
TV repair shop!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I would sooner invest in a Broadway show than in a restaurant.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

For years I would drive past a typewriter repair store that never once looked open or had any indication other than the sign out front that it was an actual operating business, but it has glowing reviews on yelp to this day. In fact there are five of them I found in the area including one that appears to exist solely to service a nearby military base's typewriters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vice President posted:

For years I would drive past a typewriter repair store that never once looked open or had any indication other than the sign out front that it was an actual operating business, but it has glowing reviews on yelp to this day. In fact there are five of them I found in the area including one that appears to exist solely to service a nearby military base's typewriters.

There is a violin repair shop in the middle of a ton of restaurants downtown that has been open for at least 20 years. I have no idea how they are still in business in one of the most expensive buildings to rent in the area.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

even money on these obsolete/niche businesses being a rich person or their spouse's expensive hobby, or a money laundering front that's so boring they're under the radar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or they own the building.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jordan7hm posted:

Or they own the building.

I feel like, even if you owned the building, that the gross revenue from a violin repair shop in the middle of downtown wouldn't pay for the property tax.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It depends. They might have contracts with a city orchestra and local schools. Or because violin repair is so specific, it might pull in all the business for 100+ miles.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Anne Whateley posted:

It depends. They might have contracts with a city orchestra and local schools. Or because violin repair is so specific, it might pull in all the business for 100+ miles.

There is no city orchestra and the downtown is the only expensive section in an otherwise economically distressed and predominantly black school district that is constantly on the verge of shutting down multiple schools. Seems very unlikely that the school has so many violins that need constant servicing that they have a contract with this guy large enough to fund his entire business.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

There is a violin repair shop in the middle of a ton of restaurants downtown that has been open for at least 20 years. I have no idea how they are still in business in one of the most expensive buildings to rent in the area.

There is a Steinway store in the first floor of a skyscraper in the middle of downtown Seattle that has been there for all of the fifteen years I've lived here.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What city? If it's a big hub with a bunch orchestras in operation then they're probably "doing fine"

All it takes is Joshua Bell or André Rieu to get their violin repaired in your store and you're set for life

Edit: welp, guess it's not a great location

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

There is a Steinway store in the first floor of a skyscraper in the middle of downtown Seattle that has been there for all of the fifteen years I've lived here.

That's not really a surprise. Do you know what even a baby grand costs and how often it needs service?

We're talking sports car pricing and maintenance if you actually want to keep it enjoyably playable.

Also, don't forget some people use pianos as furniture/signaling.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Maybe they are a Pell grant recipient trying to operate a business in a disadvantaged community for a few years to get some loan forgiveness.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

An unprofitable failing business can be a tax shelter, although how vigorous the IRS is at catching people who try to pass off their money-losing hobby as a legitimate business I have no idea. Given how long some of these places have been around (20, 30+ years for the typewriter store in my example) even if you owned a single or multi tenant commercial property outright it doesn't seem like it adds up to lose money forever unless you legit don't care about the money or the minimal effort and low overhead costs of operating one of these niche businesses really does somehow translate through the magic of tax laws to benefit the rich that you end up saving a fortune on taxes.

Although one interesting example is liquor licensed establishments. Here (and other states I'm sure) to have a hard liquor on-premise liquor license you must serve "food." To meet the requirements all you need to do is have the capability of producing food (aka a permitted and theoretically operational kitchen), be open certain hours, and offer a menu of some defined number of unique prepared food items. Any place with a liquor license can also have video poker and slot machine terminals from the state lottery. So what you end up with are hole in the wall operations that are legally a bar that rarely serves drinks, technically a restaurant with the 4 or 5 items that are all the greatest hits from Sysco's "easy to microwave" catalog that nobody in a million years would ever order, and are filled with people just spending their kid's college fund on video poker all day. The cost to keep staff there pretending to operate a restaurant and bar is nothing compared to the gambling profits.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vice President posted:

This is actually a great time to open a restaurant, when you consider the law of averages only so many business's can fail at once. Since all those other ones already have your chance at success skyrockets, and you can get cheaper rent from the closed down shops. It's like the lottery, the more you lose the better your chance of winning.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vice President posted:

An unprofitable failing business can be a tax shelter, although how vigorous the IRS is at catching people who try to pass off their money-losing hobby as a legitimate business I have no idea. Given how long some of these places have been around (20, 30+ years for the typewriter store in my example) even if you owned a single or multi tenant commercial property outright it doesn't seem like it adds up to lose money forever unless you legit don't care about the money or the minimal effort and low overhead costs of operating one of these niche businesses really does somehow translate through the magic of tax laws to benefit the rich that you end up saving a fortune on taxes.

Although one interesting example is liquor licensed establishments. Here (and other states I'm sure) to have a hard liquor on-premise liquor license you must serve "food." To meet the requirements all you need to do is have the capability of producing food (aka a permitted and theoretically operational kitchen), be open certain hours, and offer a menu of some defined number of unique prepared food items. Any place with a liquor license can also have video poker and slot machine terminals from the state lottery. So what you end up with are hole in the wall operations that are legally a bar that rarely serves drinks, technically a restaurant with the 4 or 5 items that are all the greatest hits from Sysco's "easy to microwave" catalog that nobody in a million years would ever order, and are filled with people just spending their kid's college fund on video poker all day. The cost to keep staff there pretending to operate a restaurant and bar is nothing compared to the gambling profits.

I watched some vid the other day with Nardwar and he was explaining clubs like this, you got a "mystery meal ticket" at the door and no one would redeem them really it was a requirement to buy alcohol, but you could redeem them and it was like a microwave lasagna.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My man Nardwar, whose tip for when you're being taken away by security was: "I figured out they'll carry you. Just lift your legs, and you can crowd surf!"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://www.reddit.com/r/onlinegamb...utm_name=iossmf

Rollbit Banned My Account with a $100K+ Portfolio

quote:

Rollbit is a Crypto Casino that offered nfts that I decided to invest in. Specifically, I invested heavily into Sportsbots, which offers free bets and idle profits through profit share from the sportsbook. One of these NFTs cost me 35K and offered a monthly free bet of 1K and revenue from the casino (as of my ban, this amount was over 400). I bought in heavily during a selling frenzy and was very pleased with the 36k annual return I was receiving from my portfolio.

I invested my life savings into this project with the promise of a safe and secure asset. I believe in the nft projects and have invested in v1, sportsbots, and rlb coin. Little did I know that investment would be gone due to an unjust ban for “Game Abuse.” I was not given any other information from countless times reaching out to support and was told that it was permanent.

I have a history of playing on this account for months, and the only reason I made another account was due to a lost device (lost 2fa). I have a long history of gaming on the site and losing money. The night before I was banned, I lost 2k playing blackjack. As a losing player, why am I being banned for game abuse when I have never won nor abused any games.

I have reached out countless times to support them and have been told they have nothing else to say. I invested my life savings into this account because I was promised an nft. It was delivered, and I am thrilled with rollbit as a site and its products. What I am unhappy with is the being banned without reason or investigation. Rollbit, please just think, why would I put over 100k into an account I supposedly knew I was abusing on? I have proof and receipts of me playing on the site legitimately and can explain all “abusive play.” Please just allow me to defend myself.

If you guys can help, please do. Upvote this post and let Rollbit staff know about my situation.

quote:

Yea that’s what I hate about any crypto site it’s near impossible to get in contact with anyone who will even explain to you in detail what’s going on. Good luck hope you get your account back

You don't say

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 30, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

There is no city orchestra and the downtown is the only expensive section in an otherwise economically distressed and predominantly black school district that is constantly on the verge of shutting down multiple schools. Seems very unlikely that the school has so many violins that need constant servicing that they have a contract with this guy large enough to fund his entire business.

you are mistaking stringed instrument repair for a proximity based business. i drove like 1.5 hours to gently caress nowhere MI to get my instrument worked on by a guy i trusted because people i know recommended him. there were probably 10 closer stringed instrument repair joints.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

So much to unpack in just the first sentence.

quote:

Rollbit is a Crypto Casino

lol

quote:

that offered nfts

lol lol

quote:

that I decided to invest in

lol lol lol

quote:

I invested my life savings into this project with the promise of a safe and secure asset.

:aaa:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are mistaking stringed instrument repair for a proximity based business. i drove like 1.5 hours to gently caress nowhere MI to get my instrument worked on by a guy i trusted because people i know recommended him. there were probably 10 closer stringed instrument repair joints.

Was this guy in Superior township? Crazy guy lives there is one of the best luthiers in Michigan. Has worked on so many famous musicians guitars.

I live in Ann Arbor so real thankful to have him in my backyard.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So much to unpack in just the first sentence.

lol

lol lol

lol lol lol

:aaa:

Constantly amazed at the amount of people who think any crypto investment is safe and secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Constantly amazed at the amount of people who think any crypto investment is safe and secure.

The amount of restraint that these guys have (zero) is impressive. Sure, it sounds good, MAYBE too good to be true? Instead of just sprinkling a little bit to see how it goes they put every penny they have in it.

It's incredible really.