Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't Persona 5 also open with hours of plot about a teacher harassing high school girls and making them keep quiet about it to the point where one tries to jump off the building or something? It's been a while since I tried *the greatest masterpiece* but maybe she just tries to kill herself some other way. He beats up a few male students or something, so it's okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Honestly can't think of any messages in P5 that go beyond "it's bad when people are bad", with the solution being asking politely and collecting signatures.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Thank you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hrist posted:

Doesn't Persona 5 also open with hours of plot about a teacher harassing high school girls and making them keep quiet about it to the point where one tries to jump off the building or something? It's been a while since I tried *the greatest masterpiece* but maybe she just tries to kill herself some other way. He beats up a few male students or something, so it's okay, I guess.

Tbh the opening chapter about taking down the gym teacher is probably the best part of the game other than the extra closing chapters in the rerelease, and the character writing notably declines with everyone becoming less well defined afterwards

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hrist posted:

I mean yeah but the point is he's a bad guy and the entire plot kicks off because they want to stop him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hrist posted:

Why are you saying that like it’s a bad thing.

That might be legit the only good writing I saw in persona 5

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hrist posted:

Are you aware that character is the first main villain and the party's first target? Did you think he's the good guy or something?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, anime has had plenty of issues with "sexual harassment/borderline assault is just light-hearted and FUNNY, dude!", but I don't think P5's predatory teacher plotline fits in to that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tbh the opening chapter about taking down the gym teacher is probably the best part of the game other than the extra closing chapters in the rerelease, and the character writing notably declines with everyone becoming less well defined afterwards

There are a few really solid moments afterward but as a whole yeah I agree the quality slowly declines until the hot mess of an ending.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

Mario + Rabbids 2 really makes that first game look like a prototype for what they actually wanted to make, it just looks more complete and more unique and the battle system is incredibly intriguing. I know there are people out there who won’t give it a second look because of the Rabbids but I get the feeling it’s going to be pretty great

yeah I just saw the showcase and god drat. I have serious issues with loving protominions though, I really hate that specific type of product

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly the bigger issue is persona 5 starts with teacher harassment then let’s you date a teacher later which undermines the arc very hard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also once again I really liked the bonus chapters on the rerelease and the spinoff musou which the homophobia guy wasn't involved in so hopefully the games will actually be well written in the future lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also once again I really liked the bonus chapters on the rerelease and the spinoff musou which the homophobia guy wasn't involved in so hopefully the games will actually be well written in the future lol

I'm really interested in what P6 ends up looking like without that shithead in charge of the writing. Gonna have to wait like a decade for it though, and then another decade for it to get a PC/Nintendo port.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Shortest Path posted:

The big difference between the two imo is that P4 and P5 have actually good messages and character writing outside of a handful of places where the writing just decides to suck rear end because the guy in charge is a piece of poo poo bigot, whereas Xenoblade 2 just sucks rear end across the board and is ridiculously, in-your-face horny to boot.

Like there's a reason why loads of gay and trans people love persona and its characters and just kinda pretend the gross parts aren't canon.

Other than the designs of the female characters, what was wrong with Xenoblade 2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 is good for much the same reason as Fire Emblem Three Houses: it's basically all about the characters and being a really fun game to hang out with, while the plot could be charitably called a mess. At least until the extra Royal chapter, that's legit good and yeah I'm looking forward to Persona 6 hopefully being more like that and Strikers.

(although I think it's better than FE3H because it also represents a really good example of its series' core gameplay, while FE3H has... issues there)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hrist posted:

it's not "okay", an entire portion of the game is dedicated to hunting him down and kicking his rear end lol
the reason why people express disappointment with Persona 5's writing is because it starts out strong dealing with a very real and serious topic with a surprising level of depth and moral clarity but then it can't maintain that for the whole game and keeps undermining its own message

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hrist's post seems like an example of goon discourse about anything with problematic elements. Sometimes those things get emphasized to such a huge degree that someone who only learns about that media through goon posts could come away thinking it's just wall-to-wall maximum awfulness with nothing else in between.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hrist posted:

lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can’t believe the bad guy did bad stuff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh the dumbest thing was how many reviews praised the writing (in fairness the opening act is real good) when basically everyone I know who likes the game constantly shits on the story lol

Also the English version tried to tone down some of the bad homophobic poo poo (which I have mixed feelings about) but it's still a dumb stupid gag

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Morter posted:

I have no real care for fighting games but I loved Pocket Fighter as a wee lad. Someone stop me from dropping :20bux::20bux: on Capcom Fighting Collection for just that alone. :negative:

It's also coming to Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium in late July and can be had for a few monies ala carte, so long as you only want local play and don't care about all the bells and whistles*.

*I have no idea if the Fighting Collection has online play or what those extra bells and/or whistles entail.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 29, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh the dumbest thing was how many reviews praised the writing (in fairness the opening act is real good) when basically everyone I know who likes the game constantly shits on the story lol

Also the English version tried to tone down some of the bad homophobic poo poo (which I have mixed feelings about) but it's still a dumb stupid gag

Yeah Royal's English version changed the two scenes with the gay guys harassing Ryuji to them trying to pressure him to to drag, which is... I mean it's better but it's still homophobic, just less violently so I guess?

I dunno, it's hard to talk about Persona 5 because it's a game I really love while also acknowledging its bad parts, and the way the game is discussed here makes me feel like I have to repeatedly and vocally acknowledge those bad parts or people will think I think they're good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's more that like, I get why they did it but if a writer's being a homophobic poo poo I don't think it's the job of the translators to cover that up

I swear p4/p5 being so visible were almost solely responsible for reams of bad "well the Japanese are just homophobic" posts when no, it's specifically the writer of those games lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Whoa, hey now. Don't forget the Dragon Quest composer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it's just Katsura Hashino. If you see his name on something you can be sure there'll be at least one scene that will make homophobic and/or transphobic "jokes." Guaranteed. There's a transphobic scene in Persona 3, Yosuke's homophobia (at Kanji's expense) in Persona 4, and then the gay guys harassing Ryuji in Persona 5. They all feel like scenes that could come out of bad '90s sitcoms.

I'm so curious what Persona 6 is going to look like now that he's out. It makes me wonder if there'll be other major changes to the series, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 29, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TBH bringing up the homophonic stuff is fine just as a kind of warning so new people aren’t like blindsided by it but it does kind of feel like it’s that onion thing with John Lennon at times which is kind of weird

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah instead of such a long game, they should have just kept persona 5 to maybe four to five good story arcs instead of eight increasingly stupid and infantile plot lines.

I have to agree that the 1st arc is incredibly strong possibly some of the best writing in megaten, along with the whole prisoner themes, I thought we were really dealing with a well honed darker storyline dealing w some real hosed up societal poo poo. Adults constantly groom teenagers and abuse their authority. People look away, people make excuses for them, people protect predators all the time

That's just the reality of this world and the way the first episode engages with this feels deliberate and smart.. the way admin and other adults and other teachers/students INCLUDING VICTIMS cluster protectively around Kamoshida and turn on the protagonists.....good poo poo man

Then the rest of the game just sucks. Story-wise anyways, mechanically it's still a good time through the end

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Persona 5 has an absolutely electric opening act powered by what feels like real outrage at sexual predators and other systemic injustice that's only slightly undercut by the game inviting you to leer at Ann's catsuit.

Then it proceeds to spend dozens of hours saying nothing of substance, reveling in homophobic and sexist tropes and humor, and turning every character into extreme exaggerations of their most obnoxious qualities.

Royal has a really good postscript but it also doesn't have anything real to say about the world, it's just got better character writing than the middle 6/7ths.

The phantom thieves should have been antifa communists is what I'm saying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

TBH bringing up the homophonic stuff is fine just as a kind of warning so new people aren’t like blindsided by it but it does kind of feel like it’s that onion thing with John Lennon at times which is kind of weird

lol yeah that's a good way to put it

It's a good content warning to give people but I also feel like whenever the game is discussed people rush to go "isn't that the game where..."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Moreso than Yosuke being an idiot in P4, the use of the overweight girl as a frequent punchline is something that really irks me, because it's implied that the audience should be laughing at her. I always felt that with Yosuke it's just an ignorant dumbass and the joke is that he is an ignorant dumbass, but with the overweight girl it's the writers pointing at her and saying 'haha she's fat and broke a moped isn't that hilarious!' and looking at the players waiting for them to laugh too.

Edit: Yosuke parts are still bad

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 29, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Basically P5 is a game that looks like it is going to have leftist and anti-authoritarian themes but it's actually just written by a bunch of libs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Well that certainly is a take

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Side note about Persona 4, the anime adaptation is legitimately pretty good. That's not the case for Persona 5, or the Persona 4 Golden anime, but the normal Persona 4 anime is a good time. If you're curious about its story but you'd rather watch like 22 half-hour episodes than play an 80-hour game, it's a good option. Also the dub is the better choice, just trust me on this, nobody deserves to hear Japanese Teddie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i feel bad for hijacking this thread now lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

it happens every time

It's the whole reason I made a Persona thread last year, if it comes up in any other thread it just derails for pages, apologies to everyone for continuing it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
SMT better

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

let's talk about the portal collection and how i'm going to buy portal 2 for the third time

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
DQ11 is the only good JRPG

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DQ11 owns, so does Portal 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
portal 2 is good but i still laughed when a friend pointed out that the way they made Portal into a "real game" was to add segments where you run on a catwalk while things explode around you

i guess this was more on point when it was released and cinematic FPS games were still big