Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I enjoyed this game more than the first I think. It's worse in some ways but the overall package vibed with me more. The improvements to the somniums were especially appreciated.

(Very post game spoiler) As always with uchikoshi games I finished it in a total haze at 3AM. I saw the nil code ending and everything, but did I miss something as to the significance of appendix #106 (Nirvana Spell: Fray Dumb Letter)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

petcarcharodon posted:

There's a thing on the desk it's not hidden at all just easy to not notice it's significant.

I found it seconds before you posted this, after the game crashed so I'm choosing to believe it just wasn't there the first time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The first time my game crashed was right when someone opened a door and Mizuki was all “what mysteries lie behind this door!?” and it took me like 5 seconds to realize that it was a real crash and not a joke

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

(Very post game spoiler) As always with uchikoshi games I finished it in a total haze at 3AM. I saw the nil code ending and everything, but did I miss something as to the significance of appendix #106 (Nirvana Spell: Fray Dumb Letter)?

It's part of the ARG hidden bats.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've hit the part in the sequel where Uchikoshi melts my brain

how does he keep doing that though.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 28, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ive had 3 crashes so far, all at the very end of somniums. Thats really kinda not great!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ive had 3 crashes so far, all at the very end of somniums. Thats really kinda not great!

I played on PC and didn’t have my game crash a single time? What console are you playing on?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've just about completed everything in the Nirvana Initiative, and I think it's way better than the first game and probably Uchikoshi's best crafted game to date

It's a bit more of a slow burn compared to AI 1 but much like Uchikoshi is known for, once all the pieces start to fall into place it's just the most perfect and satisfying :discourse:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

I played on PC and didn’t have my game crash a single time? What console are you playing on?

Switch. Two more crashes too, this was outside of somniums though, which is slightly less annoying

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wtf I’ve been playing this game all weekend and just now discovered the tamagotchi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mizuki chapter 2 IT'S NOT FAIR IF THE SOLUTION IS ABBREVIATION TO THE POINT OF GIBBERISH, TEARER. To that matter, I never actually learned the loving diagonal letter thing in the park because the loving vending machine literally gave me the answer.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you’re going to write a 6 year gap into your story you should probably like, make multiple models of characters and make the same locations look different. This is just amazingly lazy

A couple of these instances have plot explanations actually. Namely Shoma.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Mizuki chapter 2 IT'S NOT FAIR IF THE SOLUTION IS ABBREVIATION TO THE POINT OF GIBBERISH, TEARER. To that matter, I never actually learned the loving diagonal letter thing in the park because the loving vending machine literally gave me the answer.

"Crap, a lookout! Hide!" *Game crashes*

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also, Nirvana Initiative's credits sequence is better. way better song. way better dance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I do prefer AI 1's minor route end credits music though, it's catchier than NI's. Agreed on the finale though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh the dance can't ever measure up to AI1's because it isn't a surprise. I saw Kizuna dancing an hour into the game and went "oh that's gonna be the end credits isn't it". The magic of AI1's credits is how unexpected they are

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mizuki C3 It's kinda disappointing when some characters don't get new models for the timeskip. You tellin' me Shoma looks the same at 18 as he did at 12?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nyoro posted:

I've just about completed everything in the Nirvana Initiative, and I think it's way better than the first game and probably Uchikoshi's best crafted game to date

It's a bit more of a slow burn compared to AI 1 but much like Uchikoshi is known for, once all the pieces start to fall into place it's just the most perfect and satisfying

as it turns out, when I had written this, I hadn't properly finished the game.

I have now...and my feelings and satisfaction are even greater.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Post-lock-spoiler oh duh no wonder Mizuki’s bullet wound was sometimes visible and sometimes not

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

How many loving times do I need to hear this song :( It's like Ace Attorney 4 all over again.
At least there's a skip button.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

TwoDayLife posted:

How many loving times do I need to hear this song :( It's like Ace Attorney 4 all over again.
At least there's a skip button.

but unlike the apollo justice song, this one is good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mizuki C3 Somnium THIS SUCKS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT THIS IS SOOOOOO BAD I have to go to bed before I get more mad

gently caress this lovely forced stealth garbage

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 29, 2022

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

everything spoilers I feel like Ryuki's whole deal was not adequately explained

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lets hang out posted:

everything spoilers I feel like Ryuki's whole deal was not adequately explained

in what way? a combination of tc-perge loving with him and then lots of guilt + ptsd over his brother and then the stuff that happened in the cathedral explains most things, I think

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Mizuki C3 Somnium THIS SUCKS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT THIS IS SOOOOOO BAD I have to go to bed before I get more mad

gently caress this lovely forced stealth garbage

I'm getting through it fine now, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to know the password yet last night. This real time stealth with no time to think and like no room for error goes completely counter to how the rest of the game plays in a pretty bad way, though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

At the true ending now not having some central bad guy at the final confrontation takes a lot of the wind out of the sails of the conclusion. I do actually think the twist is mostly good, I do have an issue with the game purposfully making locations and characters look identicle all for the sake of having the plot function. Feels cheap, not at the level of "never saw my reflection" though.

Also these quick time fight scenes are getting really old

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mizuki C4 M1 I'm kinda confused, am I supposed to believe that this amusement park didn't clean their stage or even empty their garbage can in six years?

E: Wait this was a couple nights ago the guard said..........

E2: Wait how did Shoma give him the bowtie last year? It's following from exposion ending, not Komeji ending....Timelines...

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 29, 2022

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's a good game on the whole, I think I preferred VLR and the first Somnium more though. The gimmick is cleverly done but I think the story itself is hurt by adherence to making it work.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just to go over my thoughts a bit more in detail.

The game does a really good job of making you feel like you are completely losing it, probably the best thing it does. There were multiple times that I (and judging by other posts) other people were completely mandela effected. Small things like Otas Randomly appearing younger in a somnium, Mizuki randomly having a rocket moped, Date showing up like everything is normal, all the wonky stuff with komeji finding a body, Shoma acting way different depending on where you are in the timeline.

Like i said before, the things I do have a huge issue with are the locations and characters that dont meaningfully change or age. Mizuki having effectivly the same outfit as uh... mizuki is also dumb bullshit that just exists for the sake of having a twist that works. Tama gets better as the game goes on but she her entire personality being unrelentingly horny for the first 5 or so hours is pretty rough. Its also like, really bad they couldnt figure out some way to organically reveal the twist via gameplay, rather than just arbitrarily having Mama tell the player when the game decides it's twist time. I realize that is probably really hard to do... but this is the story that they wrote so like, make it work.

I got really, really sick of the quicktime events at the end of the game, on top of that the action sequences were horrifically repetitive. I dont know how many times Ryuki ran up a wall and did a flip but its like 4 times too many. Watching Mizuki hit dudes with a pipe got pretty old.

All in all, worse than 999 and the original AI, better than VLR and certainly ZTD.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 29, 2022

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Beat it last night. The somniums were a step up from the first game, and I liked the new characters, but the plot and the twists were a step down.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mizuki divergence WHAT THE gently caress!!!!! SO THAT'S WHY HE DOESN'T HAVE A NEW MODEL

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat, I'm missing one single eyeball in the whole game and it's in the very last Somnium. Has anyone found all of them?

I thought I'd figured out the pattern that one eyeball appears with each expansion of the character's influence. This follows for four of them, but there isn't a fifth expansion you can run around in. It does finally reach the opposite wall but only in a cutscene and then you're locked right into showing her evidence and going through the ending sequence.

E: I found it somehow, just kind of... mashing x while running around.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 29, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Waffleman_ posted:

Mizuki divergence WHAT THE gently caress!!!!! SO THAT'S WHY HE DOESN'T HAVE A NEW MODEL

I was just sitting smiling devilishly at your first post complaining about this. :unsmigghh:

It's so good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm actually probably going to be the sole dissenting opinion on it but I thought the Somniums in this game are worse, because they're less nonsensical. They're dreams, theyre supposed to be weird, and it sucks how much more linear they are and how much less wacky things you can make Aiba (and Tama) do as a result.

:shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked that there was a lot of variety. Each one was practically a minigame with new mechanics

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The total dream logic in the first game sucked because it was completely trial and error.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think this game had a more compelling concept for the somniums as driven by underlying dream logic rather than mostly just nonsense. I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea that the game gives out the hints that spell out the dream logic a little too easily, but I mostly appreciate it being less painful. Also they were much much better technically, AI 1 at launch had some loving rough somniums even on PC

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

The total dream logic in the first game sucked because it was completely trial and error.

Yeah I have to agree. The somniums are still plenty wacky and have a huge variety, but the also feel like you're actually solving puzzles rather than just poking things randomly.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

But I'll still get color commentary for poking things randomly, right?

13 Sentinels has been a satisfying game but it does not reward you for going anywhere other than the next interaction point on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

But I'll still get color commentary for poking things randomly, right?

13 Sentinels has been a satisfying game but it does not reward you for going anywhere other than the next interaction point on the list.

Yes absolutely. Outside the Somnium you can investigate lots of random objects and get comments like the last game. And inside the Somnium there are still plenty of opportunities to have the characters do something silly, just usually the logic for what is right and wrong makes more sense and there are actual puzzles to solve.