Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Todd Nuack!!!

I forgot he got his start with Extreme Studios. He's a super nice dude in person, too.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad to see Rai #0 is still the hottest poo poo around

As it will be forever. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

X-O posted:

Random Ads

The fact that Chic Stone inked this is... something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My sealed Superman #75 came! And as X-O said, no, the plastic didn't destroy everything. It all seems totally fine, and the comic itself is in good shape for a 30 year old book.

Not a bad package for $2.50 cover price - a comic (albeit one that is 100% splash pages), a cheap armband, a good-size poster, some stamps (I'm annoyed these aren't stickers), an in-universe news story, and a trading card

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I believe that's the 'Funeral For a Friend" poster with the overhead procession of heroes following the casket right? I had that poster on my closet door for YEARS after it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I believe that's the 'Funeral For a Friend" poster with the overhead procession of heroes following the casket right? I had that poster on my closet door for YEARS after it.

That's the one! It has a handy dandy checklist on it, so you can stare at it knowing which comics will undoubtedly be worth millions in just a few years' time.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the poster! Yeah, I had that up for years as well (cause I opened mine cause gently caress keeping poo poo sealed in general, but also cause it’d rot, as has been clearly proven here :/ ). Anyone remember a double sided poster from around that time with a bat-coffin surrounded by every era/version of Superman on one side and a Supes coffin surrounded by Bat-mans on the other?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The funeral procession is quite an iconic image. I never had the poster (I never even read the Death of Superman until this year when I picked up a second hand copy of the trade) but I remember seeing that image everywhere ( in DC comic)

Also I am thinking Scorpion Corps wasn't long for this world. What terrible art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #27 November 1993

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Gimmicks: Bonus or Bogus?

Exposing Covert Activities

The Unexplored Medium

Eight to the Fore

Manga Mania

All Dressed Up

Doomsayer

Leapin' Lizards

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Hunk & Babe

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Todd McFarlane's E.G.O.

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That Usagi Yojimbo costume is amazing

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Seeing praise for Jim Balent’s art is surreal, to say the least.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

the kid in that wolverine costume is 11 and they make fun of his weight in the index. theres that mean spirited humor i remember

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darthemed posted:

Seeing praise for Jim Balent’s art is surreal, to say the least.

A shame there was never an article on his breakdown over being taken off Catwoman.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That McFarlane oped is amazingly hilarious

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

That McFarlane oped is amazingly hilarious

It's a monthly 'feature' for a long while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Todd mad at retailers not getting what they ordered?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Is Todd mad at retailers not getting what they ordered?

Todd is mad for people doing what Todd wanted them to do originally but no longer wants them to do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

Issue 25, September 1993

#1 Batman #497 (Bane badly breaks Batman): This one's got a bunch of sales. Unslabbed we're looking at about $5, while slabbed vary, but no more than $100. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#3 Bloodshot #7 (first full appearance of Ninjak): A number of listings with no sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5 Spawn #2 (this actually first appeared in the previous issue but I missed it. Whoops! Anyway, first appearance of Violator and a low print run): There's a handful of listings, but no sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 26, October 1993

#1 Superman: The Man of Steel #25 (Superman returns): One copy sold for $15. Another sold for $0.99. Another bunch didn't sell at all. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8 Action Comics #689 (Wait, no, Superman actually returns here): One copy sold for $2. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 The Adventures of Superman #466 (origin of Cyborg Superman): One copy sold for $0.98. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 27, November 1993

#1 Daredevil #320 (Fall from Grace Part 1): It sold as part of lots that sold for $5 for $10+ comics. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#4 Daredevil #319 (Fall from Grace Prologue): See above, though one slabbed 9.8 copy sold for $117.50. Still gonna call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER though.
#6 Prime #2 (low print run, pedophile writer): One copy sold for $1.50. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Superman #82 (foil cover and no for real Superman returns this time, but in his real costume): I can't find any completed sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 11, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #28 December 1993

Cover (Unfortunately this is a trifold cover, the third page of which is lost to time as my copy is not in mint condition!)

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Comic Economics

Aye Carumba!

Next!

Breaking From The Herd/b]

Chronicling The Maxx

Western Heroes

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Hunk & Babe

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Todd McFarlane's E.G.O.

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

As an aside. My mother passed about six months ago and as part of that I gathered and scanned all the family photos I could find at the time. I have this as dated in early November '93. Here is photographic evidence of me getting this issue in a package with other comics at a surprise birthday party. I would have been turning 10 at the time. Luckily this is likely the only photographic evidence of me owning a Wizard Magazine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress yeah WIZARD RINGS

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

gently caress yeah WIZARD RINGS

Yeah, they made light of how dumb that was in their 10th anniversary issue.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sad news for this thread.
https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1544811576762433536

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ah drat, that sucks. Yeah his name is all over this thread.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Came here to share that post. Pat WAS Wizard to me. Sad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know Pat did so much more, but to me I always associated him with Magic Words. It's weird to say but I really do think that Magic Words was my favorite Wizard feature. When I really got into Wizard it was always the first thing after the contents page so it was naturally the first thing I read every issue. I loved reading the questions and answers from fans and it was always a fun read.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I see that 'Todd complains about the industry' is going to be a thing in his column.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Yeah, they made light of how dumb that was in their 10th anniversary issue.

Morons. If they'd kept running pictures of readers' pets they'd probably still be going.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i suppose the description of that babe entry could have been worse?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
drat. Yeah I only know Pat through his work in Wizard, so I’ve basically been reading his words in one way or another for at least half of my life. That stinks.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Soonmot posted:

i suppose the description of that babe entry could have been worse?

It's about as good as we can expect from Wizard in '93, but in keeping with the book itself.

I've not read Mantra for probably 25 years, but I remember they never really *did* anything with the concept beyond "Ugh! Bras!".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BooDooBoo posted:

It's about as good as we can expect from Wizard in '93, but in keeping with the book itself.

I've not read Mantra for probably 25 years, but I remember they never really *did* anything with the concept beyond "Ugh! Bras!".

Pretty much. Although they eventually put the original soul(?) back in Mantra's body and she had a magic pregnancy, so that's nice. The guy who'd been in her body got his own body back and hung around for a bit as her boyfriend because... I don't even want to try and untangle those dynamics.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Dawgstar posted:

Pretty much. Although they eventually put the original soul(?) back in Mantra's body and she had a magic pregnancy, so that's nice. The guy who'd been in her body got his own body back and hung around for a bit as her boyfriend because... I don't even want to try and untangle those dynamics.

It was a very odd book, the Writer had dipped his toes in the same sort of plot with Camelot 3000, but Mantra was just not great.

I remember they shared her body for a while, got possessed and made a baby called Necromantra who was sold to evil wizards?

I'd go check but I'm 100% certain my Ultraverse books got recycled years ago, and there's sure as hell no trades!

Would Ultraverse count as lost media, Thor Ragnarok *sorta* used Topaz in a very vague way.?

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 7, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And then the Ultraverse combined with the Marvel Universe and Mantra became a 16 year girl whose costume had a habit of disappearing in crowded places.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BooDooBoo posted:

Would Ultraverse count as lost media?

No, not even remotely. There's tens of thousands of copies out there. If you want to read it, you can buy the original issues and it's just a matter of having the cash. Or there's probably some :pirate: options.

I'm actually kind of annoyed at how some people in the past year or so have decided "lost media" just means "something I can't easily find".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
honestly, if you can't buy something except for second hand, gently caress it. creators aren't getting anything from your purchase anyways.

Was Wizard still around when Crossgen started? I enjoyed so many of those titles, did they get pushed there?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Was Wizard still around when Crossgen started? I enjoyed so many of those titles, did they get pushed there?

Yes, and very much yes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If I wasn't lazy I would compile a list of all the publishers and lines mentioned/advertised in Wizard that no longer exist. Stuff like Legend, Lightning, Sky, Triumphant, Revolution, Now etc. Not all of those had articles written about them outside of Wizard News but there were a lot of random companies that seem to have lasted no more than a year or so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

If I wasn't lazy I would compile a list of all the publishers and lines mentioned/advertised in Wizard that no longer exist. Stuff like Legend, Lightning, Sky, Triumphant, Revolution, Now etc. Not all of those had articles written about them outside of Wizard News but there were a lot of random companies that seem to have lasted no more than a year or so.

RIP to the real ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah, my favorite writer and artist, The Creators

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Hell yeah, my favorite writer and artist, The Creators

And first appearances! Of Major characters!

ARComics has a very No Name Brand power behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Now lasted quite a while, they were making licensed books in the 80's.

Madkal posted:

And first appearances! Of Major characters!

ARComics has a very No Name Brand power behind it.

They published one comic: ARComics Premier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkxWleZL4s

This was the only breakdown of what is in it that I could find.