Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Guys" is exclusionary to people that aren't men, as well as those who aren't 17th century Catholic republicans (the British kind, not the American kind).

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Folks? What are you olde timey?

Folks is actually fairly popular with younger generations, particularly leftist or queer circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In case it wasn't clear, I was comparing the situation in English to languages with syntactic gender which means that almost all of the examples you provided would translate to something gendered. In English you can use any of them, and yet a lot of people insist on a gendered one.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Folks is actually fairly popular with younger generations, particularly leftist or queer circles.

I've also seen people use folx for a reason I don't remember but I don't know if that is pronounced differently

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Baron von Eevl posted:

folks is what I say and it's very useful as a low-key way of flagging that I'm queer to those who are of a similar ilk

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DaysBefore posted:

I've also seen people use folx for a reason I don't remember but I don't know if that is pronounced differently

It's not it's just kind of a flag that you're trying to be inclusive.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

as a girl I don't mind "guys" but I sure as hell hate boys or dudes. this guy is a professor so he can super easily just say "hey class"

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Does "hello everyone" not work anymore???

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bad news everyone! We're in space!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kurieg posted:

It's not it's just kind of a flag that you're trying to be inclusive.

Is there something gross about 'folks' or is it just an extra indicator of being cool?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

an indicator that you use twitter

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hey blood,

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DaysBefore posted:

Is there something gross about 'folks' or is it just an extra indicator of being cool?

I think they were saying folx isn't pronounced differently from folks, it's just an indicator you're trying to be inclusive in your language when spelled folx

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I'm pretty sure this is the winner

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sup OG

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DaysBefore posted:

I assume it's just applying the logic of saying "punx" to "folks."

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Hasn’t this thread established dude as an all inclusive term?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm partial to brosef and broheim myself

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

Only if you're bad enough to rescue the president

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Listen Fat,

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cacator posted:

I'm partial to brosef and broheim myself

Broheimdall, guardian of the rainbro bridge

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

haveblue posted:

Yo yo yo yo yo, what it is motherfuckers!

:corsair:

Awwww poo poo, here comes Pacman

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Was there someone trying to make an argument online at one point that using "y'all" was... appropriation or something? I feel like I remember seeing some takes on Twitter around those lines.

Calling poo poo cultural appropriation rather than just saying "oh that guy is an rear end in a top hat who keeps doing something that upset other people" is a bit of a pet peeve of mine because you can't have a proper multicultural society without exchanging ideas (for example, recipes, languages, climate appropriate clothing, literally the number zero).

Cultural appropriation is 100% a real thing but it would be good if people used a bit of judgement before dropping it. E.g. if someone has come in and obliterated the locals and rebranded their identities as sports teams that's appropriation. Wearing a wrap your neighbour bought you for your birthday because you said it was pretty isn't cultural appropriation, it's just cultures coexisting peacefully and exchanging ideas with each other. Making and selling racist dolls isn't cultural appropriation, it's just racism. (Shoutout to Queensland here, the most consistently garbage state.)

TLDR: People misusing cultural appropriation to criticise any sort of cultural information exchange is veering into a "race mixing is bad" space that I find really disconcerting.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dazerbeams posted:

The mid-40s mother of 3 on my team as work is the biggest dude of all of us, so yeah, at least in my corner of the world, anyone can be a dude.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think they were saying folx isn't pronounced differently from folks, it's just an indicator you're trying to be inclusive in your language when spelled folx

Yeah, I was saying it's not pronounced differently. It sort of extends from where people would toss X in place of the gendered end of nouns to make them more inclusive. so "Folx" is just "Folks but somehow even more inclusive."

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's cute and I'm glad for them, but I absolutely cannot hear the word 'folks' without a loop of Obama saying 'We tortured some folks' playing in my head

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

haveblue posted:

Yo yo yo yo yo, what it is motherfuckers!

:corsair:

Aw poo poo, here comes Pac-Man.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA for getting dressed in a seperate cubicle and not together with my husband

quote:

So me and my husband wanted to go swimming. When we packed our things, asked if he could put his stuff in my bag. I said that my bag was too small and that I'd prefer to go in a seperate cubicle, just so I'd have more space. He didn't object.

The next day he ignored me all day and I didn't know why. Eventually I got him to talk to me via text. He told me that he felt like I didn't care about how he felt, bc I didn't ask for his opinion when I said I wanted a seperate cubicle. He said that, since we're married, my primary focus should be on him and what he wants and needs. That's what it means to him to be unified in marriage. He said that since I don't care about him like that, that means that I don't want to be one with him and that I didn't marry him out of love.
When I asked him why he didn't just tell me, in stead of ignoring me, he said that it was the only way to get me to pay attention. He felt like I wouldn't take him seriously otherwise.
Should I have asked for his opinion? Am I a bad wife for wanting to have more space to get dressed? AITA?

Imagine having something like this be the thing that reveals your husband is actually a selfish insane person. I wonder how long they've been married?

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 29, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Was there someone trying to make an argument online at one point that using "y'all" was... appropriation or something? I feel like I remember seeing some takes on Twitter around those lines.

I usually just use "hey all" both because it's one of the shortest to type and also because I have yet to see anyone take issue with that one specifically, although I'm sure somebody could manage it.

Yeah this was a thing. That incident boiled down to ostensibly well meaning but also completely ignorant "allies" not understanding that there are substantial overlaps between southern American dialects and AAVE for obvious historical reasons.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for throwing them out of a house that we own. Son and future In-Laws decide to exclude his family from wedding. They thought son owned the house not us.

quote:

My wife and I bought a four bedroom house in PA that my son lives in. Our son went to College in PA and wanted to stay in the area. So we bought the house as a second home, we live in NJ and commute into Manhattan for work. We figured that he would have a place to live and we could visit every so often and spend some quality time together.

We pay the taxes and services / maintenance on the house, our son pays for his groceries and the house utilities. All was going well for a few years, our son meets a girl and they get serious. We met her and she seems nice enough. The announce their engagement and she moves into the house with our son.

Now for the problem: The wedding !!!

We hold a little get to know you BBQ at the PA house, my son and daughter are there, as are our sons fiancé and her parents, and sisters. We all seem to be getting along well, my wife, daughter and the fiancé go into the house along with her mother an sisters and my son. A few minutes later my wife and daughter come out and are really upset. The come over and tell me we're leaving and driving back to NJ. I try to find out what happened. Once we get back to NJ and they calmed down they tell me that our son and his fiancé along with her family don't want us at the wedding. According to what I was told "We're not their kind of people". I was livid, I called my son and asked him WTH this was about. He tells me that her family feel that we are not good enough and will embarrass them at a family wedding and that we are all uninvited from the wedding.

I let a week go by to calm myself down and drive back to the PA house, the new future in-laws are in the house along with the fiancé. It appears that they all moved into the house They ask me why I'm there, I tell them that since we aren't invited to the wedding, I was coming over to talk to my son. They tell me to leave their house. I lost it, and told them that they had 30 days to get out. Tell my son I'm selling the house and he could find somewhere else to live with all of you. I go to a realtor in town and list the house for sale.

They call my son at work and tell him what I said. Apparently they thought that he owned the house. He calls me and asks why I'm selling his house, I tell him I paid for it along with the taxes on it and it is mine. He was living there rent free, but since he doesn't want us in his new life, he has to get out. I tell him the same as I told his future in-laws they have 30 days to get out then I'll get a lawyer and get them evicted.

Am I the AH for taking a hard stance on this. He is my son but thein-laws seem to take over and we no longer count.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Mmmm, that's a tasty hand

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for getting dressed in a seperate cubicle and not together with my husband

Imagine having something like this be the thing that reveals your husband is actually a selfish insane person. I wonder how long they've been married?

OP posted:

4 months, but this started on our honeymoon...

guy's not wasting any time, i see

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Foo Diddley posted:

guy's not wasting any time, i see

Hahaha holy poo poo, poor lady, I hope she can get it annulled an acid vat on short notice

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ad090 posted:

AITA for throwing them out of a house that we own. Son and future In-Laws decide to exclude his family from wedding. They thought son owned the house not us.

Lol

Well, I'm sure the son, his fiance and her family will continue to have a happy and long-lasting relationship at least

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, poor lady, I hope she can get it annulled an acid vat on short notice

Oh on a 4 month marriage there's not going to be a divorce settlement that's anything other than 'you get what you put in'.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ad090 posted:

Nouveau riche fight! Nouveau riche fight!

(OP are clearly not the assholes but LOL at this being about the second home they bought so that their son could live in PA rent-free)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nouveau riche fight! Nouveau riche fight!

(OP are clearly not the assholes but LOL at this being about the second home they bought so that their son could live in PA rent-free)

Well, not gonna live rent free for very long

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ad090 posted:

quote:

Once we get back to NJ and they calmed down they tell me that our son and his fiancé along with her family don't want us at the wedding. According to what I was told "We're not their kind of people". I was livid, I called my son and asked him WTH this was about. He tells me that her family feel that we are not good enough and will embarrass them at a family wedding and that we are all uninvited from the wedding.

Kind of curious what that means. The kinds of people who can afford to buy multiple houses and work in Manhattan aren't likely to be typical 'blue-collar' workers that are stereotyped as embarrassments.

It sounds like either a race/politics thing and there's no way of knowing who's in the right, but the whole in-laws moving in before the wedding is weird as poo poo so they clearly aren't a 0.1% rich family looking down on the typical upper class.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

ad090 posted:

The son is so dumb I wonder how he manages to maintain breathing to keep his body alive. Good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ad090 posted:

lmao i wonder if the son is "their kind of people" anymore