Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Okay uh definitely wasn't expecting that kind of statement from them

Why not, everyone else in gaming is doing it so of course CIG would because That’s What Game Studios Do Right?

It’s the same monkey see, monkey do cargo cult action that powers their whole operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen

CIG takes a clear stance on Roe v Wade posted:

https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1542173496473780226

quote:

The fact you are allowing a political thread here is really disappointing. Everyone is welcome to their opinions and should be encouraged to debate, but I know for a fact that if a pro-life tweet was posted here it would get deleted and the user banned within minutes.

quote:

This is a shameful post, and you should be ashamed. The post violates multiple subreddits rules, and despite your assertions otherwise, abortion is very much a political issue.

You can tell because it's being decided by the political process.

I'm disappointed this subreddit is just another leftist echo chamber. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not subscribe to unlimited access to abortion, and a small majority supports restricting abortion to the first trimester.

Would it blow your mind to learn that women tend to be more prolife than men and support more restrictions than do men?

quote:

While I will agree the use of abortion will be greatly effective in cases of rape or other complications. But when it boiles down to some girl risked having sex without protection and don't want to grow up and face reality, I say touch luck, thats life.

quote:

Should you have to live on the streets because of your bad financial decisions? I think so.

I swear these new generations do everything in their power to absolve themselves of responsibility. Student debt cancelation, abortion, the list goes on.

quote:

I fully agree with roe getting overturned and states getting to legislate things they should be legislating.

That statement is already "disgusting" in the minds of the cuddled children here on reddit.

add to that "it's nice that at least some women now get to enjoy how sex has been for men forever : abstinence or a risk of unwanted pregnancy with no legal way out." and i've probably pissed off most people in this thread.

But then again, considering whose subreddit we're on, common sense and critical thinking are probably in short supply.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Just when I think there’s nothing more CIG can post that would make me hate their fan base more than the pride tweets…

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I dream of cutting the balls off captured players so their characters are less aggressive but this is going too far

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Lord Stimperor posted:

In terms of good Space games, I'd like to throw a couple of less obvious ones in the ring:

Master of Orion II, Stellaris, Endless Space 2
Now Master of Orion 2 is where I am a little bit blinded by nostalgia. Because as soon as I hear the soundtrack and see the interface I'm teleported back into being 9 years old and daydreaming about space and the people in the computer. Anyhow, it's a turn-based 4X space game where you and your opponents race to become the dominant faction in the galaxy, either by conquest or diplomacy. The MOO franchise pioneered many of the tropes of of modern 4X space games. So what you'll find is basically a modern 4X game, but just a lot more straightforward, with less complicated tech trees and diplomacy. And so it still holds up fine, just as the artwork, which thanks to being not early 3D art, aged well.
Yeah I've been playing MOO2 a bunch recently and it holds up amazingly well for a game approaching 30 years old. The AI is bad and it's not as deep as more modern games, but it's done so well that it's still just fun to play. Losing hours designing ships, building colonies, and fighting Antarans like I was 13 years old again.

Mirificus posted:

r/starcitizen
Chud Imperium Gamers

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Not actually going to do it but I’m fine with it.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
What a bunch of absolute fuckwits. I'm willing to bet that not one of those fuckers would take responsibility for an unwanted pregnancy of their own doing.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sandepande posted:

What a bunch of absolute fuckwits. I'm willing to bet that not one of those fuckers would take responsibility for an unwanted pregnancy of their own doing.

I’m sure it’s not an issue for anyone backing SC at this point

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Star Citizen: I say touch luck, that's life

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

i am a moron posted:

I’m sure it’s not an issue for anyone backing SC at this point

I'm sure lacking in humanity is not an issue for those wannabe facists.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
I have to admit that CIG nudging its pregnant employees towards termination in order to get them to avoid missing work has an enjoyably dystopic ring to it. Like something from an Upton Sinclair novel.

"Pregnant, eh? Congrats! Oh btw on a completely unrelated note here are some pamphlets you should read..."

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

I have to admit that CIG nudging its pregnant employees towards termination in order to get them to avoid missing work has an enjoyably dystopic ring to it. Like something from an Upton Sinclair novel.

"Pregnant, eh? Congrats! Oh btw on a completely unrelated note here are some pamphlets you should read..."

CIG and their backers do deserve each other, but I don't believe even CIG could do that - at least not in a planned fashion. In a clueless, tone-deaf, narcissistic fashion, sure.

TonyMcS
Aug 31, 2018

As to old space games, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the real successor to Freelancer , Vendetta Online. Although successor is not really correct, as it was working in 2002 and released in 2004. One server for all, VR and works on any computer, tablet, phone platform you can think of. No it doesn't have landable planets or much fidelity, but it has everything else you can think of in a space MMO. It even mines with a laser 😃. It's been working and in constant development for 20 years. Only needs a graphics upgrade to put it ahead of all the rest.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Well, let me throw a couple of things out here...

I can't find the video right now, but several times over the years they've shown us what selecting a weapon from a vendor could work like. This was I believe in a section of S42, the player was near the on-board shooting range, and he was interacting with the clerk to ask to inspect different guns. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about.

All physicalized.

Another consideration is that trailer for 3.17 with the player walking into the shop with a crate of guns.

All physicalized.

Finally, in the future, to the point above, you will have to carry the items into the actual shop and sell them to the vendor. You will not be able to sell from your other magical inventory spaces. All of that stuff will have to be there with you.

All physicalized.

So you can see how there is precedent and some inconvenient truths about how they intend vendors to work... and none of it matches the idea of a gamey interface with icon stacks to sell.

quote:

Oh, but my friend... you already know they are making a game dedicated to immersion and are not at all trying to appeal to the instant gratification crowd, right?

All of that interaction is going to be there... and yes, you might have to wait while the clerk is talking to someone else. Just like you might have to wait if there's no hangar available at the spaceport. They're not trying to design things to get you moving more quickly... they want the tangible interactions, and the good friction. It's immersive.

quote:

I mean... they are not showing us things that aren't what they intend to make. They are showing us things they intend to do.

Bartender. Coffee Vendor. Weapons Clerk.

Maybe some of it won't work out for technical reasons or otherwise, but it for sure isn't going to be because "we better make it so players get sell items faster" and things like that.

In fact, especially for selling items, it makes sense to have to not just sell 1 at a time from an interface, but literally hand it to the NPC for evaluation. That's more in line with the experience they want. Not some magical inventory UI.

We already can buy things in multiple because that does make some sense, and from a kiosk... its like ordering from Amazon.

But selling... needs to slow way down.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TonyMcS posted:

As to old space games, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the real successor to Freelancer , Vendetta Online. Although successor is not really correct, as it was working in 2002 and released in 2004. One server for all, VR and works on any computer, tablet, phone platform you can think of. No it doesn't have landable planets or much fidelity, but it has everything else you can think of in a space MMO. It even mines with a laser 😃. It's been working and in constant development for 20 years. Only needs a graphics upgrade to put it ahead of all the rest.

the successor to Freelancer is Underspace and if all goes well it's coming out later this year. i'm in the discord, the dev is active and nearly and just finishing some stuff up before release

check out the demo, it's great

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
The future!

Lethality just dreams of being a space Amazon delivery boy. Pick up your three hundred packages (one by one, the futuristic concept of a "big bag" having been lost to time), sign off for them with the shift manager, scan them into your inventory (did you upgrade it? Does your device have enough charge? Did you pay your monthly space-internet and space-telephone bills?), Place them individually in your spaceship, sit in space traffic as you follow the waypoints in order, at each stop looking through the packages until you find the right one, ... [Continue needlessly boring and menial tasks]

His brain is just pure mush at this point.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He's also been a proponent of CIG making NFTs of their ships. Whadda surprise.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Mirificus posted:

quote:

In fact, especially for selling items, it makes sense to have to not just sell 1 at a time from an interface, but literally hand it to the NPC for evaluation. That's more in line with the experience they want. Not some magical inventory UI.

Don't see anything wrong with this. As a potato farmer in real life, I can confirm that every year I always book a month off in my diary for selling my crop one potato at a time. All us potato farmers do the same. Pity the pea farmers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well I just went down an Animal Avatar Man rabbit hole on the subject of NFTs

quote:

I think NFTs are coming to the game at some point, one way or another. Most people that read the thread will have a knee-jerk reaction based on lack of knowledge of what that is... but, it's inevitable.

Named ships are a good candidate.

quote:

To everyone reading this, especially those that hate the idea and reject the technology without understanding. Please know that this is the absolute future of video games, their funding, and their monetization. Doesn’t mean we can flip star citizen that way so easily, but I’d recommend getting to know all of this :) :)

quote:

The peanut gallery here doesn’t want to take time to understand it, so they just glom on to the hive mind and scream thoughts are not even their own.

quote:

My dude. It’s going to be the just about the only business model in gaming in less than a decade.

quote:

It's early days yet... but I'm not here to try to convince anyone of anything, other than to please educate yourself on this... because it's definitely happening. Not necessarily to Star Citizen. Web3 will IMO change the world more than the internet itself did.

quote:

I suggest you slow down and understand what the technology behind all of this is, because you're not doing yourself or anyone any favors claiming it's a "scam".

Blockchain is not a scam anymore than the combustion engine or penicillin is.

quote:

The blockchain is absolutely happening and will be a more prevalent business model for games than free-to-play... it's more friendly for consumers, it's better for publishers, etc. It's a win-win.

By the time this matures, it will be transparent and players won't even need to know there's blockchain technology behind their game or not.

The uneducated are doing a disservice to themselves and others going around decrying it's a scam, because it's literally not. There are smart people taking advantage of dumb people though.

quote:

The smartest thought leaders also disagree with you. And it's so much bigger than just games. In games, this sort of model will usurp free to play because it's a) better for the business and b) friendlier to the consumer
This is early days but it's moving fast, and there are leaders out there in the space smoothing off all of the rough edges so it's transparent to the end user (no friction). It's really, really happening.

quote:

Sure, they could go the NFT route but a lot of people don’t seem to like that idea here. Strange place

I wonder why :thunk:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Dark and creepy.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
yes because CIG would definitely want their spaceship JPEGs to be tied to a block chain and transmissable to another space game like a venereal disease.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I want an individual NFT for each one of my 40,000 physicalized boxes that I'm keeping inside my transport ship. Imagine the near future where I can buy seven tons of aluminum ore on a space station in Star Citizen and then use the magic of blockchain technology to move all of that ore into my account in Call of Duty? The dream.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 30, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

the biggest shame of this game never coming out is if it did, it would be so easy to passively terrorize other players, just taking forever at vendors

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen: We at CIG support the Fear Turkey's right to an abortion

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

A few thoughts on this.

Ofc the "best community ever" is also against abortion.

Isn't it nice how even human rights are political these days? Imagine the show when the Supreme Court goes after contraception, same-sex marriage and even same-sex sex next.

These loving dimwits are all about "oh you'd take responsibility for your actions" and "Should you have to live on the streets because of your bad financial decisions? I think so.".
But when their stupidity catches up with them and someone in their family ends up sucking on a tube for months before collecting an Herman Cain Award guess what happens?
They gladly accept any govt benefits and set up a GoFundMe to help with their horrific medical expenses, cause "rules for thee and not for me".

Also, what I like to call the "moderate fuckwits" who go on about women just carrying a child to term and giving it away are particularly disgusting. Not only for their insane ideas, but for treating women like breeding animals.
They are too dim and sociopathic to realize how terrible it'd be for a woman, or how many'd consider suicide rather than face that poo poo.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
It's all fun and games until something bad happens to you and you can't hide behind your silver spoon and family money.

Unfortunately that reality may never happen to the people making laws everyone else needs to suffer under.

Not sure how it relates to star citizen other than it seems like everyone wants an opinion for better or worse. I'll just be over here, prepping my uterus for the government breeding program while being disappointed in humanity and helpless to do anything. :patriot:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
They've been saying blockchain is taking over for what, ten years now?

There isn't a single use case for crypto that hasn't already been solved more effectively by more conventional means.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bargearse posted:

There isn't a single use case for crypto that hasn't already been solved more effectively by more conventional means.

The one use case he suggests for ship NFTs is that if you get banned in the game, you can still sell your ships.

Yes, really.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

quote:

The blockchain is absolutely happening and will be a more prevalent business model for games than free-to-play... it's more friendly for consumers, it's better for publishers, etc. It's a win-win.

By the time this matures, it will be transparent and players won't even need to know there's blockchain technology behind their game or not.

The uneducated are doing a disservice to themselves and others going around decrying it's a scam, because it's literally not. There are smart people taking advantage of dumb people though.
:hmmyes:

Star Citizen: There are smart people taking advantage of dumb people

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bargearse posted:

For all of its sanctimonious libertarian trappings, Crypto is not much more than a scheme by the moderately wealthy to create new value out of thin air and siphon money from middle class wannabe captains of industry, so they can become the new super wealthy. It’s people who missed out on the original tech booms and the “what if I bought Apple stock in the late 90’s?” trying to artificially recreate that explosion of new wealth in a what is now a rapidly stagnating and unequal economy. But there is no new goods, services or jobs being created, crypto just shuffles existing wealth around to the benefit of its early adopters and big institutions. That’s why as soon as the easy money is made in one coin, someone is immediately rushing to spin off a new one.

It’s fitting that a good portion of Citizens are also crypto-bros. They are generally upper-middle class men who love to think they’re at the top of the system, but in reality they’re just becoming progressively poorer like the rest of the 99%. Deep down they know this, so they love to escape into fantasies about becoming rich off the latest shitcoin scheme, or walking the decks of their Idris as their loyal crew of space peasants follows their every command. It’s an externalization of socio-economic stress.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It's comforting to know that lethality gave a big kiss of death to blockchain, NFT, web3 and all cryptocrap

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

:hmmyes:

Star Citizen: There are smart dumb people taking advantage of dumb dumber people

A minor amendment to refine accuracy

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lethality bought into Star Atlas when they started selling NFTs.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Well I bought into Coal Powdered Flying Cars in 1906 and any day now I'll be rich beyond any Stimpire dreams!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

A few thoughts on this.

Ofc the "best community ever" is also against abortion.

Isn't it nice how even human rights are political these days? Imagine the show when the Supreme Court goes after contraception, same-sex marriage and even same-sex sex next.

These loving dimwits are all about "oh you'd take responsibility for your actions" and "Should you have to live on the streets because of your bad financial decisions? I think so.".
But when their stupidity catches up with them and someone in their family ends up sucking on a tube for months before collecting an Herman Cain Award guess what happens?
They gladly accept any govt benefits and set up a GoFundMe to help with their horrific medical expenses, cause "rules for thee and not for me".

Also, what I like to call the "moderate fuckwits" who go on about women just carrying a child to term and giving it away are particularly disgusting. Not only for their insane ideas, but for treating women like breeding animals.
They are too dim and sociopathic to realize how terrible it'd be for a woman, or how many'd consider suicide rather than face that poo poo.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

So I read through a LOT of the tweet responses to the CIG abortion tweets. It was actually way more positive than their previous pride-related ones. Like I really had to hunt to find the chuds and even they weren't saying completely despicable stuff for the most part. There's always a selection of assholes of course but I think is a solid case where it looks like the majority of CIG fans are in favour of access to abortion. Other sections of the community like Spectrum or the subreddit might lean more the other way but overall I think the response has been pretty good.

It feels like a small glimmer of positivity for the commandos.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm banking on corncob power since that popular mechanics article 30 years ago.

Don't let me down, corncobs!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

So I read through a LOT of the tweet responses to the CIG abortion tweets. It was actually way more positive than their previous pride-related ones. Like I really had to hunt to find the chuds and even they weren't saying completely despicable stuff for the most part. There's always a selection of assholes of course but I think is a solid case where it looks like the majority of CIG fans are in favour of access to abortion. Other sections of the community like Spectrum or the subreddit might lean more the other way but overall I think the response has been pretty good.

This is good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

Nice. And if that tweet gets some more of that crowd to leave, even better for the rest of the community.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mirificus posted:

We already can buy things in multiple because that does make some sense, and from a kiosk... its like ordering from Amazon.

But selling... needs to slow way down.

Sandweed posted:

He really is just astoundingly dumb. Nobody with a remotely functioning brain has wanted, or will ever want, that former idea. What on earth does his day to day life consist of, I wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Zero_Grade posted:

He really is just astoundingly dumb. Nobody with a remotely functioning brain has wanted, or will ever want, that former idea. What on earth does his day to day life consist of, I wonder.

He apparently doesn't respect his own time and cannot fathom why others would, it really is remarkable. Not just a harbinger of failure, but a harbinger of anti-fun at the same time.

I reckon you could make a bestselling game dev guide by taking everything he wants, and listing it under the heading never ever do this :v: