Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nostalgamus posted:

Did that wolf grow horns?

Please, its a demon doggo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nostalgamus posted:

Did that wolf grow horns?

I think those are ears.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Please tell me that these guys named themselves. Or at least were born after Blackhand went full crazy and could honestly think these were good names for kids.

Rend was at least short for Dal'rend, Maim was just Maim. I dunno, maybe it meant something different in orcish.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In regards to the spells:

Unholy Armor reduces the current HP of the target by half, but makes it completely invincible for... I want to say somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds? I don't remember how long it actually lasts.

Poison Cloud, if I remember right, is a fire-and-forget AoE spell, unlike the Human Conjurer's equivalent, which means if you can get in range, you can drop one in the enemy town and (try to) run them away. The enemy AI will do this to you with frustrating frequency.

And yes, the three children of Blackhand: Dal'rend, Maim, and Griselda.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

anilEhilated posted:

That's just orcish for molar extraction.

No. Bleeding Hollow is another Orc clan into self-mutilation. They gouge out their own eyes. I thought Cythreal mentioned them already.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

I thought Cythreal mentioned them already.

Yeah, Isidora's taken them out of the war in my human campaign narrative but I haven't yet done a proper lore writeup for them.

Another orc clan into self-mutilation is the Shattered Hand, but we won't be seeing them for a while.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

BlazetheInferno posted:

In regards to the spells:

Unholy Armor reduces the current HP of the target by half, but makes it completely invincible for... I want to say somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds? I don't remember how long it actually lasts.

Poison Cloud, if I remember right, is a fire-and-forget AoE spell, unlike the Human Conjurer's equivalent, which means if you can get in range, you can drop one in the enemy town and (try to) run them away. The enemy AI will do this to you with frustrating frequency.

And yes, the three children of Blackhand: Dal'rend, Maim, and Griselda.

Unholy armor is for busting catapults and making your life less insane

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, Isidora's taken them out of the war in my human campaign narrative but I haven't yet done a proper lore writeup for them.

Another orc clan into self-mutilation is the Shattered Hand, but we won't be seeing them for a while.

Honestly, compared to those other two, "knock out a tooth to prove yourself" feels a bit, I dunno, tame? They really want to be a tough guy clan too, but they don't want to hurt themselves that badly.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I love when fantasy characters have names like Rend, Maim, or Doomhammer.
Like imagine if they weren't badass warriors but just regular people in their culture? 'Maim, I need you to head on down to farmer Doomhammer's and pick me up some pumpkins.'

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like imagine if they weren't badass warriors but just regular people in their culture? 'Maim, I need you to head on down to farmer Doomhammer's and pick me up some pumpkins.'

"I'd like you to meet Dr. Maim, he will be your surgeon tonight."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rhonne posted:

"I'd like you to meet Dr. Maim, he will be your surgeon tonight."

I knew a dentist named Dr. Rencher once.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
One of my uncles needed stitches after diving into the shallow end of a pool and smashing his idiot face against the bottom, the doctor treating him was Dr. Lizard.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
"Please, call me Gerald. Dr. Doomhammer was my father."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Once while abstracting a deposition, I saw a reference to one "Dr. Deathrage."

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think my favourite name like this I've personally encountered was a plumber named John Flood.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

After helping out a Mrs. Bonesteel, no surname is too farfetched for me to believe.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
My highschool had a Mrs. Slaughter, a Mr. Savage, and a Ms. Harm.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
My personal favorite is James G. Human, for whom Humansville, Missouri is named. Oh sure I'm human, Human's my last name (that is how the saying goes, right?!).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rhonne posted:

Honestly, compared to those other two, "knock out a tooth to prove yourself" feels a bit, I dunno, tame? They really want to be a tough guy clan too, but they don't want to hurt themselves that badly.

Granted, those two clans in particular were considered batshit insane even by demon-fueled orc standards, and not just because of the extensive self-mutilation.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I had lectures at university given by Dr D'Eath

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Maybe the Orcs are just British:
https://twitter.com/swordsjew/status/1540810574845599745

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

In the Case of Warhammer they literally are

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe For President

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Incidentally, on the subject of names, the name of my protagonist for the human campaign narrative was based on some research I did.

Stormwind has no culture to speak of, but I had the thought when contemplating a protagonist that Stormwind is almost on Azeroth's equator. The northerly human kingdoms are all somewhat (or very, in the cases of Kul Tiras and Gilneas) based on real-world European cultures, and outright making Isidora black or drawing her name from obviously non-white cultures felt like a bit of a stretch given the source material. Instead I went looking for names from the Mediterranean basin, and came up with a Greek name that draws on Egyptian culture and history.

'Isidora' - also Anglicized as 'Isadora' - means 'Gift of Isis,' and felt like it fit the vaguely Italian or Greek idea I've toyed with for a long time about how I'd add more character and personality to Stormwind. The name is also sometimes seen in a masculine form as Isidore or Isadore.

And fair warning, I'm looking at Gaelic names for the human protagonist for the Warcraft 2 narrative. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hey skullsmasher, can you dice up these tomatoes for me?

My personal take on the mission briefing is that it's being justly angry at the humans for taking the lands you justly claimed after slaughtering all the inhabitants. At the risk of getting too real world, I could absolutely see those orders being handed down the line in Russia if Ukraine retakes a bit of Crimea.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I mean, a culture mired in self destruction, funny names and aggressive and murderous colonialism, why not?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I would be down for Puritan Orcs. FFXIV gave us Catholic Elves.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey skullsmasher, can you dice up these tomatoes for me?

Cro Threadstrong posted:

FRUIT VENDOR!!! Your cart is still in our way! We will give you one more hour to move it from our area. Do not test our patience anymore!

Cro Threadstrong posted:

Does this fruit vendor not value his life? YOU ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME FRUIT VENDOR!!

Cro Threadstrong posted:

HA! I CRUSHED AN APPLE, FRUIT VENDOR! THIS WILL NOT BE THE LAST!!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

My personal take on the mission briefing is that it's being justly angry at the humans for taking the lands you justly claimed after slaughtering all the inhabitants. At the risk of getting too real world, I could absolutely see those orders being handed down the line in Russia if Ukraine retakes a bit of Crimea.
Pre retcons, the war has been going on for a few decades plus some amount of orcish expansion into uninhabited swamps near the portal, so there's plausibly a generation of orcs that grew up in conquered areas

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Pre retcons, the war has been going on for a few decades plus some amount of orcish expansion into uninhabited swamps near the portal, so there's plausibly a generation of orcs that grew up in conquered areas

I feel like this might be an incredibly loaded question, but do we ever see orc children?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Breadmaster posted:

I feel like this might be an incredibly loaded question, but do we ever see orc children?

A lot of orc children(including all of Blackhand's kids) were artificially aged by warlocks to provide the Horde more warriors for their invasion, so there probably aren't a lot around during WC1.

There are a lot of orc kids in modern WoW, they even have a holiday(Children's Week) where Horde players take an orc orphan around the world seeing the sights and meeting various characters.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I'm pretty sure there are no children present at all in the games until Warcraft 3, and then it's human children played for grim laughs. Lorewise, yeah, there are kids.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just warning the thread, there might be a delay again. Hopefully not, but better safe than sorry.

In the meantime, have a peek at what I've been working on for the future.

Don't mistake me for some indolent Tushui sect adherent whining about not having a solution that will fix everything. We have a saying in the Huojin sect: some fights are worth fighting on principles alone.

Fun fact: most pandaren are based on traditional panda bears, but there's also a secondary phenotype available to pandaren women that's visibly based on red pandas, with long tails and a red/brown coloration rather than black and white. Some concept art for playable pandaren suggests that this was intended to be a hard and fast variation based on sexual dimorphism before they added the traditional panda-esque phenotype to the women as another option.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: most pandaren are based on traditional panda bears, but there's also a secondary phenotype available to pandaren women that's visibly based on red pandas, with long tails and a red/brown coloration rather than black and white. Some concept art for playable pandaren suggests that this was intended to be a hard and fast variation based on sexual dimorphism before they added the traditional panda-esque phenotype to the women as another option.

But red panda and giant panda aren't related*! Giant panda's are bears, and red panda's are their own thing, but more closely related to weasels and raccoons!

*relativly speaking, of course.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gun Jam posted:

But red panda and giant panda aren't related*! Giant panda's are bears, and red panda's are their own thing, but more closely related to weasels and raccoons!

*relativly speaking, of course.
And neither can cast magic, or speak English!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

And neither can cast magic, or speak English!
You sure?

Picture clearly taken a moment before they throw lightning bolts outta their hands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gun Jam posted:

You sure?

Picture clearly taken a moment before they throw lightning bolts outta their hands.
That's obviously a Pokemon battle.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
So I can’t be a male red panda in WofW? There goes my character based on Master Shifu!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can, it's not just available to lady pandas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh, I thought it was female only.

Goes to show that I never play male characters. :v: