Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The fact that the national DNC has been encouraging state level parties to spend tens of millions of dollars of campaign funds on and in support of *the most fascist MAGA candidate* in the hopes that the candidate wins their primary is reason enough to hate these assholes.

It's so stupid. Utterly contemptuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiny Timbs posted:

No of course he’s not going to honor that. The man himself has established the precedent that he will not honor these types of deals.

Yeah, he couldn't even keep his word about being done with Trump and wanting the Impeachment and removal.

Granted I was reading through the 1/2001 CE thread (and it's really interesting to see how things changed over time) and saw a mention of one GOP member proposing a censure and barring of Trump holding any federal office again, a part of me is wondering if that's what should have been done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Can we at least tar and feather Aaron Sorkin for this?

I'm sure he's cooking up his next ~Opiate for the Liberal Masses~ show idea.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure he's cooking up his next ~Opiate for the Liberal Masses~ show idea.

Are you sure he's not just cooking up opioids?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Granted I was reading through the 1/2001 CE thread (and it's really interesting to see how things changed over time) and saw a mention of one GOP member proposing a censure and barring of Trump holding any federal office again, a part of me is wondering if that's what should have been done.

Eh, medium wishcasting on this bit. Censure is just an official "you were bad" shame session and Donnie doesn't have any. Barring future federal office is impeachment. The House reported out the impeachment of Donnie on January 13th and only 10 Republicans voted for it. The Senate wasn't even available through the 19th. Any "they should've impeached sooner" was essentially impossible.

There was likely some form of deal where Donnie told Republican Leadership that he would shut the gently caress up for two weeks and leave quietly, or else the Republicans get behind a 25th action. That was enough to pacify the Republicans and then they got the polling back that said their primary voters blamed antifa.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Eh, medium wishcasting on this bit. Censure is just an official "you were bad" shame session and Donnie doesn't have any. Barring future federal office is impeachment. The House reported out the impeachment of Donnie on January 13th and only 10 Republicans voted for it. The Senate wasn't even available through the 19th. Any "they should've impeached sooner" was essentially impossible.

There was likely some form of deal where Donnie told Republican Leadership that he would shut the gently caress up for two weeks and leave quietly, or else the Republicans get behind a 25th action. That was enough to pacify the Republicans and then they got the polling back that said their primary voters blamed antifa.

While I'd prefer the impeachment and removal and prohibition, letting him off with a censure and barring him with have been okay for me.

Granted it didn't happen, so it doesn't really matter. I'm still pissed they didn't vote on impeachment same day and then send it to the Senate, that whole Senate in recess poo poo was infuriating (and also clearly deliberate by Mitch to slow things down).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Are you sure he's not just cooking up opioids?

Why pop pills when you can get high sniffing your own farts?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why pop pills when you can get high sniffing your own farts?

Well and I guess with him the farts would be full of blow.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

I have something for you!

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1542261342220029958

It's the dumbest thing that Democratic Leadership isn't immediately holding votes on 12/16/whatever-week abortions that are hyper-popular, then voting to codify loving EVERYTHING now at risk.

Is trusting a McConnell promise sufficient to invoke the 25th Amendment?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

"It's Kamala's turn!" isn't a headline I want to read.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Quick someone photoshop Biden's head onto Charlie Brown trying to kick McConnel's Lucy's football. Cause, goddamn.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
B-b-but they were in the senate together! Joe can get things done! He knows how to "deal" with republicans!

By giving them everything they want and getting nothing in return.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

While I'd prefer the impeachment and removal and prohibition, letting him off with a censure and barring him with have been okay for me.

No no, let me rephrase. There is no such thing as "and barring him" with a censure. The only mechanism that bars someone from federal service is impeachment and conviction. That's it! Censure doesn't actually do anything! At all!

A censure is a "formal statement of disapproval" aaaaand - that's it! That's why that one Republican GOP member spoke up and was shouted down because he was being an even bigger weenie than literally everyone else. You're right about same-day impeachment though.

And here's the latest off-record reason why Donnie couldn't have grabbed the steering wheel: Secret Service Agent says Donnie fat

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1542272059937546243

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

No no, let me rephrase. There is no such thing as "and barring him" with a censure. The only mechanism that bars someone from federal service is impeachment and conviction. That's it! Censure doesn't actually do anything! At all!

A censure is a "formal statement of disapproval" aaaaand - that's it! That's why that one Republican GOP member spoke up and was shouted down because he was being an even bigger weenie than literally everyone else. You're right about same-day impeachment though.

And here's the latest off-record reason why Donnie couldn't have grabbed the steering wheel: Secret Service Agent says Donnie fat

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1542272059937546243

No, I understand that the censure would have no legal effect, but I think their was some way to bar a person from office without removal. I'm not sure what it was, but I recall it being mentioned separately.

Yeah, I think same day impeachment might have worked. I mean what's the minimum the Senate has to do? I mean they get to set their own rules (barring certain things like the 2/3 for removal, but couldn't they decide, both sides get 15 minutes (and perhaps try and goad Trump into coming down and digging the hole deeper) and then we vote?

Also :lol: Trump is too loving fat to have done this your honor. He is however of the right physical condition and mental stamina to be a Russian general on the other hand.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 30, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

At this point I’m less mad at Republicans than I am the Democrats. The Republicans, for as vile and loathsome as I find their ideology, agenda and methods, had very clear goals and worked a multi-decade plan to get there. I’m pissed at the Democrats for basically acting like a party of permanent opposition even when they nominally control the executive and legislative branches of government. The loving gall of the Democratic leadership to seemingly just capitulate on every hosed up thing the Republicans do on account of :decorum:, knowing that Pelosi/Schumer/Biden et al can wrap themselves in the privilege of not being alive to see the consequences of their inaction.

I’m done being a Democrat. I’ll vote for individual candidates if their platforms align with my interests but I’m going to change my party affiliation to independent and never give a dime to these ghouls who have enriched themselves by gaslighting their own voters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

"It's Kamala's turn!" isn't a headline I want to read.

The worst part of that Dana Bash interview with Kamala isn't the "do what now" quip, even though you couldn't ask for a better soundbite for 2024, it's the complete *disinterest and divestment* evident in her body language and voice. She doesn't give a gently caress, at all, about anyone.

This administration has thrown her under the bus and completely destroyed what little credibility she'd built for herself in exchange for being "the closest a woman's ever gotten to the presidency," and she knows nothing "grand" awaits her after this (because we all know Biden's one of those "I don't care what the polls say, ~I~ know I'm killin' it" guys), so *gently caress everyone else*, including other women.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 30, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A Bad King posted:

The fact that the national DNC has been encouraging state level parties to spend tens of millions of dollars of campaign funds on and in support of *the most fascist MAGA candidate* in the hopes that the candidate wins their primary is reason enough to hate these assholes.
I've not heard of this. Do you have a reference?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The worst part of that Dana Bash interview isn't the "do what now" quote, even though you couldn't ask for a better soundbite for 2024, it's the complete *disinterest* evident in her voice. She doesn't give a gently caress, at all, about anyone.

This administration has thrown her under the bus and completely destroyed what little credibility she'd built for herself in exchange for being "the closest a woman's ever gotten to the presidency," and she knows nothing "grand" awaits her after this (because we all know Biden's one of those "I don't care what the polls say, ~I~ know I'm killin' it" guys), so *gently caress everyone else*, including other women.

"Ensuring Kamala isn't President" almost sounds like something that Biden could campaign on. :lol:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've not heard of this. Do you have a reference?

Here’s one example

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/darren-bailey-illinois-governor-republican-primary-1375929/

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Same. I'm pretty much done. I'm going to be moving to rural Missouri anyway so there's really no point in engaging any more.

Where in Rural Missouri are you moving to? I’m very familiar with the state.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/MalloryMcMorrow/status/1542162557322104833

It isn't hard to tell people what to do, where to do it, and how the gently caress to fight back. But Biden's like "go away, I'm overseas", Harris is like "go away, I'm bad", and Pelosi et al are like "go away, I'm old and gonna die". You'd think these loving people would at least be able to fake being angry after watching what they ostensibly have been fighting for ~50 years going poof.

I don't know what the root cause is, perhaps the belief in the power of a strong central government, but Democratic and the general swath of what passes for "left" in America has long had the "Green Lantern President" problem. Constant focus on the Presidency, ignoring downballot races, not voting in local and state elections, the seeming belief that if you get the White House, you can get everything you want.
Republicans, with their long standing "states rights" rallying cry, have been slowly and methodically gaining control of most of the states, in preparation for their opportunity to break federal power and give political power to the states which they control.

Democrats, and most of the American "left" are about to lose liberal democracy in America because they fundamentally failed to understand how American political power works for the last 60 years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know what the root cause is, perhaps the belief in the power of a strong central government, but Democratic and the general swath of what passes for "left" in America has long had the "Green Lantern President" problem. Constant focus on the Presidency, ignoring downballot races, not voting in local and state elections, the seeming belief that if you get the White House, you can get everything you want.
Republicans, with their long standing "states rights" rallying cry, have been slowly and methodically gaining control of most of the states, in preparation for their opportunity to break federal power and give political power to the states which they control.

Democrats, and most of the American "left" are about to lose liberal democracy in America because they fundamentally failed to understand how American political power works for the last 60 years.

The DNC cares about occasionally winning the presidency because it's really good for fundraising to have the president or vice president show up at events. They clearly don't care to stay in power long enough to be actually forced to fix things that they habitually raise funds towards claiming they're passionate about fixing/protecting said things.

A Democrat hasn't succeeded a Democrat via the electoral process since FDR > Truman. I'm betting that the GOP has regretted legislating for and winning Presidential term limits.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Where in Rural Missouri are you moving to? I’m very familiar with the state.

Central Missouri. Warrensburg vicinity. I went to college out there and am going to end up marrying a girl I met way back then that still lives out there. I never thought I'd move back but love makes you do things.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The DNC cares about occasionally winning the presidency because it's really good for fundraising to have the president or vice president show up at events. They clearly don't care to stay in power long enough to be actually forced to fix things that they habitually raise funds towards claiming they're passionate about fixing/protecting said things.

A Democrat hasn't succeeded a Democrat via the electoral process since FDR > Truman. I'm betting that the GOP has regretted legislating for and winning Presidential term limits.

Precisely one Republican has succeeded a Republican (Reagan to Bush I), and the 22nd didn't matter in that case because Regan's brain was mush. This argument is nonsensical.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Precisely one Republican has succeeded a Republican (Reagan to Bush I), and the 22nd didn't matter in that case because Regan's brain was mush. This argument is nonsensical.

It also leaves out how the Dixiecrats hosed right off to the GOP further complicating the already stupid argument.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No it isn't. Let me reword my point.

The Democrats care about winning the presidency. They very clearly don't care about *keeping* it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

fknlo posted:

Central Missouri. Warrensburg vicinity. I went to college out there and am going to end up marrying a girl I met way back then that still lives out there. I never thought I'd move back but love makes you do things.

Goongrats. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No it isn't. Let me reword my point.

The Democrats care about winning the presidency. They very clearly don't care about *keeping* it.

By this logic Republicans don't care about keeping the Presidency either, and both parties have been playing hot potato for the better part of the last century over an office neither of them cares about. This is stupid.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Money cares about the presidency. Politicians care about money (and not a goddamn thing else).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

By this logic Republicans don't care about keeping the Presidency either, and both parties have been playing hot potato for the better part of the last century over an office neither of them cares about. This is stupid.

Why should they care about keeping it if they know they're going to get it back, and now know they can legislate their agenda through the Court? I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Truman didn't succeede FDR through the electoral process my man.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BUG JUG posted:

Truman didn't succeede FDR through the electoral process my man.

Truman won his own campaign in 1948. It was still the last time the Democratic Party held the White House for an uninterrupted 16 year period.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Truman won his own campaign in 1948. It was still the last time the Democratic Party held the White House for an uninterrupted 16 year period.

Funny enough from my understanding (footnote in a history textbook) the 25th wouldn’t have even applied to Truman.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Uh, that’s mostly due to Roosevelt winning 4 terms?

This is all a dumb argument. You can blame Democrats on strategy/tactics but you can’t blame them for the fact that an entire mainstream political party radicalized and insulated itself from reality in order to affect sweeping unpopular changes via the total corruption and misuse of several branches of government over 50 years.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lower level even than that. The push started down at the city council and school board levels and gnawed away at every level from there.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 30, 2022

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, but FDR had to die first in this chain of events. Truman wasn't elected President until he'd been President for three years. The distinction is, somewhat, important.

I get what you are trying to say: the democrats have not had two consecutive elected presidents since Truman won in 1948, but...how much of that is an aftereffect of Truman having been in charge for three years prior? Does the election look different if FDR dies in '43? Or lives out his term to retire in '48? Maybe! Difficult to say.

The example you are looking for -- the last time a Democrat succeeded a Democrat electorally -- is Franklin Pierce to James Buchanan. Which.....lol.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Nevada ballot may see open primary, ranked voting initiative

quote:

An initiative offering Nevada voters open party primaries and ranked-choice voting appears headed for the November ballot, while the state Supreme Court turned down a case that could have put a constitutional amendment about a school vouchers program before the voters.

The trio of rulings, each by a court majority, just ahead of a deadline for groups to submit the nearly 141,000 signatures to qualify initiatives for this year’s statewide ballot.

Nevada Voters First, backers of the voting overhaul proposal, issued a statement Wednesday saying it turned in more than 266,000 signatures for verification.

It said its constitutional amendment would give voters options to choose elected officials “based on leadership skills and policy decisions rather than simply choosing between the ‘lesser of two evils.’”

If a majority of voters approve in 2022 and 2024, primaries would be open to all voters regardless of party registration and ballots would rank candidates by preference.

Proponents note that nonpartisan voters, now nearly 29% of the state’s 1.8 million active voters, are unable to vote for partisan offices in primary elections. Democrats make up 33% of voters in Nevada, and Republicans almost 30%.

The measure is opposed by top Nevada Democrats including Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak and U.S. Sens. Jacky Rosen and Catherine Cortez Masto. They’ve argued ranked voting is confusing and time-consuming and would lead to votes being thrown out.

lesser of two evils against measure that would allow people to pick beyond lesser of two evils, film at eleven

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What? JFK came after Ike

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What? JFK came after Ike

Eisenhower was a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

May Sasquatch guide your browser to the answers of your questions.