Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wow, what a piece of poo poo. I hope he gets fired.

I'm also tired of people squandering the fact that English has plenty of gender-neutral ways to approach a group of people in favor of using "guys".

A couple of pages back now, but last season on Survivor, Jeff Probst asked the survivors if they were comfortable with him saying "Come on in, guys" and they all said yes. But then someone spoke up a little later and said no, they weren't comfortable with it. Jeff had been using this phrase for 41 seasons, and stopped right then and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I feel like this has a lot of missing backstory

Yeah like the country in question.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for picking some of the meat out the stew?

quote:

So last weekend, my friend Abby hosted a game night. She said we just had to bring our own alcohol if we wanted it since she doesn't drink. There was about 12 of us there. Abby had prepared sandwiches, snack bowls (chips, fruits, pretzels), veggie plates, sodas/juice drinks and a crock pot of stew. She warned us the stew was spicy. I think she called it a Mexican Chicken stew or something like that. I tried tiny bit of the stew and found the broth too spicy for my taste! However the chopped chicken in it had absorbed enough to be flavorful but not too spicy. So I dug out some the meat without the broth, put it over some rice (She had rice to go with it) and ate it with some chips.

As the game night went on, I got a couple more helpings. At some point someone went into the pot and complained there was hardy any meat in it. I hoped no one noticed it was me but another friend spoke up how he saw me digging in the pot a couple times. Abby got really angry at me! I tried to explain I found the broth very spicy. She went off saying I could have eaten some the sandwiches instead! I would have but they were Italian sandwiches and I don't like pepperoni. Game night become awkward. Abby glared at me all evening. I apologized to her, offered to order food, and help her clean up. She turned my offers down saying if I didn't like the stew or the sandwiches, I should have told her and she would have prepared me something else or I could have just eaten the other snacks.

I ended up leaving early cause everyone kept giving me looks all night. I don't think I'm the rear end hole cause I did like the stew, I just found the broth too spicy and I even offered to replace the food.

AITA?

Ah, been a while since we've had a good party food person

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Solkanar512 posted:

quote:

she accused me of not caring what she does normally d that if i listened to her it wouldn’t come as a surprise but i ignored her

The important thing is that OP learned and grew.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I feel like "audacity" is another one of those telling words, like "disrespect". Unless they're talking about the audio editing software, but I've yet to see that come up in an r/relationships post.

it's like "rude" in a Yelp review, you can generally just ignore the whole thing.

I don't think I've heard a person say "rude" IRL since... high school?

pentyne posted:

Yeah like the country in question.

I'll have you know that Syria is home to many excellent universities!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Some people don't know what sharing means.

AITA for eating the part I liked the best off a dish we were sharing between friends

quote:

We went out for a meal & got all dishes to share between our very small group. My friend suggested a salad she had a craving for which rest of us had never had, it has small cut up toasted crispy flat bread on top.

We all got a bit of everything initially & I tried the salad as normal & realised I loved the crispy bread the most so after that I was picking out the bits of bread with my hands & snacking on them as the salad was in front of me at the table. I even said to them that I love the bread & showed I was eating it all & no one said anything at the time.

A bit later when the friend that ordered it reached for it to get more of the salad she was annoyed that there was none of the bread bits left & said she had a craving to eat the salad as it was with the bread, not just the normal salad that’s left now.

I didn’t think it was a big deal as we got everything to share & I just had the bits I liked the best, isn’t that how everyone eats shared meals. And no one said anything when I said I’m eating it all at the start.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can't believe that little backstabber, teaching herself Andy!

I know. I had to pay for an expensive tutor to teach me Andy. And even then I only got to "Andrew" level.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for picking some of the meat out the stew?

Ah, been a while since we've had a good party food person

Sodium Chloride posted:

Some people don't know what sharing means.

AITA for eating the part I liked the best off a dish we were sharing between friends

AITA for eating all the marshmallows out of the lucky charms

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know. I had to pay for an expensive tutor to teach me Andy. And even then I only got to "Andrew" level.

There's nothing I love more than a story from a crazy person that is made even more insane by some weird autocorrect. Like I assume there's someone named Andy in her life that she has typed out and fixed from 'and' enough for the phone to just be like "ok you mean Andy all the time then, wow"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Solkanar512 posted:

AITA for not allowing my (f36) daughter (f18) to go study abroad

I figure this doesn't break the "estranged parents" rule because we're more at a pre-estrangement period. Just lo loving l.

quote:

This post violates Rule 8: Posts must be presented as fairly and accurately as possible.

looks like AITA has a "no estranged parents" rule too, lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think posts actually violates that rule? Like that mom is so sure she’s right she didn’t even bother to pretty it up

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Who shares a loving salad

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She's probably signing up to be a globetrotting secret agent considering she was able to hide all of this from a mother who doesn't seem to have the meanest sense of boundaries or respect for privacy.

Those are the kids who learn how to lie the best.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not cutting my hair even though someone told me it was bringing back their trauma?

quote:

So for context, I have hair that is significantly longer than the average person. I get compliments about it all the time and even though it's a hassle looking after it, I really do like it. My friend, who we'll call Kate, lost her mother to cancer before we met. I don't know the full story but apparently she used to have hair as long as mine until she shaved it all off.

Kate and I haven't been friends for long but I really thought things were good between us until Kate pulled me aside one day to ask me for a favour. I asked her what favour it was and she said she wanted me cut my hair to at least just past my shoulders because it looked so much like her moms. I thought she was just making a really bad joke but it turned out she genuinely wanted me to do that. She said it was bringing back her trauma to see my hair and that she didn't know if she could keep being friends with me, as well as the fact that she really only asked because we were such close friends. She said she wanted to ask from the moment our friendship began but wanted to wait since it would be weird if she asked then.

I told her that I was sorry but that I wouldn't be doing that. I love my hair. Here's where I might be TA. I told her a few reasons as to why I loved having long hair and one of them was about how much I resembled my mother. Immediately I felt bad because of the awkward timing of the comment and tried to tell her that I wasn't making fun of her for not having a mom or anything but this seemed to make her more mad. She started screaming and crying about how she thought she could trust me and how awful I was for gloating at the fact that my mother is still alive.

I tried diffusing the situation but it clearly wasn't going to work out so I just ran out. Recently I've been getting calls and texts from our friends about how disgusting I am and it turns out Kate told them that I keep reminding her of her mom and even once said I look more like Kate's moms daughter than Kate. I've tried explaining the truth and most of my friends have sided with me but a few don't believe me and are saying I'm a bitch and that I should just cut my hair anyway, along with a comment or two about how hopefully I get to experience not having a mother soon.

Edit: I thought this would be worth mentioning. I did bring up the fact that I'm not the only long haired person in the world and that many people in my culture have long hair and she countered it by saying that whilst that's true, she lives in a predominantly white neighborhood and it's rare to see hair as long as her mothers or mine (she herself is white whereas I am not so I'm not sure exactly why that was brought into it.) So should I just do it even though she went behind my back and changed the story? I feel like if she wasn't still grieving she wouldn't have done that. I kind of get it to an extent because I myself went through something quite traumatic and now I can't look at a very popular drink without getting flashbacks just because I had it in my hand at the time but at the same time I don't demand for store owners to stop selling them or anything so why should she demand for me to cut my hair? If I was causing so much harm then why would she continue to get to know me? And surely long hair isn't the only thing that reminds her of her mother? And why would she immediately get so emotional and start screaming at me? Surely in that situation she'd be pleading? It's not like I share a striking resemblance to her; I don't even look remotely like her mother, it's just the hair LENGTH.

Double edit: For those saying I should cut her and the people who sided with her off, I totally hear you. Those few friends that did side with her had no right to act that way and make those comments about my mom, especially knowing that there was no way of definitely knowing who was telling the truth since they weren't even there. But to me, Kate is just someone who is handling the loss of her mother poorly. So now I'm not sure what to do with my hair and what to do with our friendship.

Last edit: I'd just like to clear up a few misconceptions about me talking about my own mother. My comment was in no way me bringing up the fact that my mother was still alive, I just got a bit nervous at how insistent she was being and started trying to justify why I wouldn't be doing so. I know it was a stupid comment to make but in no way was I 'showing off' the fact that my mother is still alive.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Mx. posted:

AITA for not cutting my hair even though someone told me it was bringing back their trauma?

Dammit, I was just coming to post this one :argh:

But lol at the reveal in the first edit

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ibntumart posted:

AITA for refusing not to “suggestively eating a banana”

Found a video of this in another thread!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Those are the kids who learn how to lie the best.

Reminds me of the woman who did extra classes in secret to graduate high school early and dipped out literally at midnight on her 18th birthday to flee across state lines and join the coast guard. I don't think we ever got details on what exactly was up with her family but they were clearly insane.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Reminds me of the woman who did extra classes in secret to graduate high school early and dipped out literally at midnight on her 18th birthday to flee across state lines and join the coast guard. I don't think we ever got details on what exactly was up with her family but they were clearly insane.

Was she the one that did poo poo like left behind the title and keys to her car, the SIM card in her phone, the cash value of her phone and laptop etc, just everything imaginable to leave their family nothing to lord over their head? That one was great

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gadzuko posted:

i just looked that one up the other day, actually:

AITA for telling my parents about my sister's plan to join the military?

quote:

When I found out my sister was going to join the military it was a complete accident. Two times she left websites up on a computer that we all use and I figured once was a coincidence and twice was not. I told our parents about it when I found out. It looked like she was going to join the military but my parents said no. After that they sort of let it go because she still had a year of high school left and wasn't 18 yet. My parents also asked me to watch out for any other signs about joining. She disappeared one night but it was technically after midnight when our mom figured it out so she was technically 18 I guess. At any rate by the time my parents realized she was gone the cops and everyone think she was already out of Wyoming most likely.

My parents have spent all this time trying to figure out what happened. Firstly they found out my sister had done all this extra credit at school that they didn't know about and she already had enough to graduate even though she should of had another year. So we didn't even realize it was possible to join the military for her yet until March 2020 and by then she had already joined and finished boot camp. Secondly we eventually found out she joined the coast guard instead of the military which we did not expect at all. We found out because I've a friend who has a side hustle as an unofficial PI and he found out. We don't know where the coast guard sent her because they won't say I guess it might be classified or something. The only thing we got is an official let from a coast guard lawyer telling me to back off. He was not pleasant to deal with. Besides him some of my friends also say I was on the wrong side and not my sister for disappearing on my parents. They are still upset. My ex boyfriend and me had a big fight about it. That lawyer was not pleasant and I hated fighting with him. I would like to know who you think was right and who was The rear end in a top hat?

and you're right, there were no further details

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mx. posted:

Once again wpp lining up to yell at the POC in the group for bullshit reasons. This is so loving familiar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

i just looked that one up the other day, actually:

AITA for telling my parents about my sister's plan to join the military?

and you're right, there were no further details

You got a letter from a branch of the armed forces, specifically a legal notice, telling you to back the gently caress off and are acting like you can't be sure if you are out of line.

That's moron of the year candidate right there.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Flora Finching posted:

Who shares a loving salad

Superspreaders.

AITA for throwing dog poop in someone else’s garbage?

quote:

Okay - so obviously throwing dog poop into someone else’s garbage isn’t ideal - we haven’t done it before though and hear the story out.

Me and my partner went on a hike that had no available parking and the trailhead was in a residential area. We park a 15 min walk away at the beach and as soon as we get to the trailhead our dog poops. We bag it and leave it at the start of the trail (common thing to do here to pick it up on your way out.)

We do the hike (there’s no bins along the way or anywhere else despite it being a dog friendly trail) and get lost and spat out eventually down by the beach and the car. Instead of leaving the poop there we drive back up to the trailhead to collect it and bin it - but there’s no bin in sight so we drive down to a garbage bin that’s out on the road. Everyone else’s bins are on their properties but this bin is on the side of the road so we do a drive by poop drop. Now, my partners family also leave their bin on the road and consequently don’t get bothered when dog walkers bin their poop bags in there. We also would never have binned our own garbage in there - but weren’t going to drive around with this poop bag in the car when there’s a bin right there. Plus - we figured at least it’s getting picked up and disposed and most people wouldn’t even care.

So the poop is dropped and of course there’s a lady in the garden who then squats down and shouts (while clapping) NO NO NO NO NO! - super high pitched. My partner turns to her and is like “Oh sorry it’s just a dog poop bag we don’t want to leave on the trail, ” the lady then says “I don’t care, this is private property and the bins get full and I have to pay when they do.” She then spoke more about having to pay for the bins, but where we live this is just part of the taxes you pay and it’s one tiny poop bag. Plus her bin was left out on the public street and not on her property. We wouldn’t never had used it had it been on their property.

She then keeps clapping and repeating NO NO NO NO NO!, she doesn’t actively ask us to remove the poop so my partner says sorry and we drive off because it was frankly just a very strange, awkward interaction. Had she not seemed kind of manic and patronising (clapping at us like dogs or children) and actually asked us to get it out her bin we would have, however her response was kind of ridiculous and funny and also didn’t have a request in it - so are we the assholes?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 30, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My bin gets dog poop left in it and now a poop bag is stuck to the bottom and I don't want to clean it out. :(

I shouldn't leave it so close to the street if I want to avoid it I guess, but it's also the most convenient place for it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

Superspreaders.

quote:

We bag it and leave it at the start of the trail (common thing to do here to pick it up on your way out.)

YTA, so many people do this and then forget (or “forget”) to grab it on the hike out

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Every single person on there who asks about leaving dog poop in someone's garbage is an rear end in a top hat. It's the most reliable thing on the site, there's never even a twist to make them a surprise reasonable person

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
but you see, the ransom was in dog turds and the kidnappers specified this bin

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What do you expect the poor trod upon hikers with a dog to do, take the bagged turd with them to their own garbage can?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hell no, those bags are really bad for the environment, use your hands

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

pentyne posted:

You got a letter from a branch of the armed forces, specifically a legal notice, telling you to back the gently caress off and are acting like you can't be sure if you are out of line.

That's moron of the year candidate right there.

And their reason for being concerned was that the lawyer was "not pleasant to deal with." Not, like, maybe they could get in real trouble legally if they keep pursuing this- just that somebody was not nice to them. Real genius, there.

Dear Annie: My boyfriend’s family hates me because I put them ‘on edge’

quote:

Dear Annie: I was in an abusive relationship for over seven years, still legally married but separated with a four-year restraining order. I have been with my current boyfriend for over three years. The first two years we lived together, and then COVID-19 struck, and we have been living apart for over a year.

My problem is that his father, sister and brother are so against our relationship that we have to hide it.

I have never shown any type of disrespect or done anything that I am aware of that has caused their hatred of me. When I visited his father’s residence, I was told that if I ever stepped on his property again, he would call the police and have me removed.

His sister lives right next door; it’s a duplex, and she has called their father to report that I was there. When we visited his mother, his brother said that if I were to continue to be brought there, he would have his name taken off the lease and move out. I get along with his mom and don’t want to put any more strain on her.

I love my boyfriend, but this is becoming ridiculous that we have to sneak around. I’m 49, and he is 38. The only explanation I’ve gotten is that I make them on edge. I have never tried putting them on edge, but I’ve also heard their negative opinions of me and seen how they treat my boyfriend.

Help -- we don’t know what to do anymore. -- Unaccepted by His Family

Dear Unaccepted: If your boyfriend is not sticking up for you to his parents, then this might not be the right relationship for you. He is 38 years old. I’m not really sure why he needs his family’s approval of you, but it sounds like he does and that they don’t approve. So, either he makes that right, or you find a new boyfriend.

So. Race-related?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

trickybiscuits posted:

And their reason for being concerned was that the lawyer was "not pleasant to deal with." Not, like, maybe they could get in real trouble legally if they keep pursuing this- just that somebody was not nice to them. Real genius, there.

So. Race-related?

I'm guessing either hes a manchild and they think they'll lose power over him, or they're still holding out hope he will choose to have kids and think she's too old

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Good morning, _____
students
class
learners
my friends
folks
people
[nothing]
My fellow Americans (only if they're all actually Americans)
[whatever the schools' mascot is: Vikings, Wildcats, etc]

I work at a girls' school, and I usually say "Ladies."

Last year, my senior class had a trans boy in it, so I asked what they wanted as a collective term, and they insisted on "students."

I am absolutely going to use "My fellow Americans" one day though (I don't even live in the same hemisphere as North America).

Mx. posted:

Why does "break off friendship with crazy racist shithead" not occur to her. I've cut people out of my life for less.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 30, 2022

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

it's like "rude" in a Yelp review, you can generally just ignore the whole thing.

I don't think I've heard a person say "rude" IRL since... high school?

"I just think you're being really selfish right now"

- an old housemate of mine after I asked him to stop stealing my food out of the fridge

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

YTA, so many people do this and then forget (or “forget”) to grab it on the hike out

But they didn't do this, and went out of their way to drive back, pick it up, and drop it in a garbage can on public property?

trickybiscuits posted:

So. Race-related?

Feels like there's a lot missing here in
When I visited his father’s residence, I was told that if I ever stepped on his property again, he would call the police and have me removed.
That just begs for elaboration.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 30, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for telling the clerk at 711 to stop talking to me?

quote:

I frequent my local 711, which is a convenience store if you Aren’t familiar.

I go every other morning for Gatorade and cigarettes, the occasional beer, etc. I don’t drink regularly but sometimes I’ll have a beer or two during the day while finishing chores. I’ll literally drink one tall can in 5 hours or more, only if I have nothing else planned.

Whenever I get the beer, the man behind the counter always asks who it’s for. If I get more than one he’ll ask who I live with. He’s the usual morning clerk so I see him every day. I find these questions inappropriate, I always answer with one word and move on.

Today I was in a horrible mood after a bad night (family issues) and he asked me the question again. I said it’s none of his business and to please stop talking to me like we’re friends. He looked upset and we finished the transaction.

This is out of the ordinary for me so when I got home I started feeling serious guilt and anxiety for the next time I go in.

AITA? I feel like he’s always overstepping but I also feel like I made him feel embarrassed and will now be nothing but awkward.

Mods posted:

This post violates Rule 11: No Partings/Relationship/Sex/Reproductive Autonomy Posts. We do not allow posts involving cutting contact, ghosting, breaking off friendships, and similar discussions.

:stare:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The hell kind of rule is that

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for telling the clerk at 711 to stop talking to me?

:stare:

So when does someone start a subreddit called /r/relationships_but_actually_about_relationships ?

Edit - or I guess /r/aita_without_shitty_moderation

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr. Lobe posted:

The hell kind of rule is that

If you actually read the rules of the sub, literally everything is banned.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Silly Newbie posted:

So when does someone start a subreddit called /r/relationships_but_actually_about_relationships ?

Edit - or I guess /r/aita_without_shitty_moderation

This post violates rule 112: no posts about snow cones/ice cream/root beer floats/posts about our lovely noderation/reproductive autonomy posts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you actually read the rules of the sub, literally everything is banned.

Very handy to have rules like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I got into a fight with some neighbors once who used to do this. you are in fact an rear end in a top hat if you leave poop bags lying around where anyone can step on them and then not even pick them up half the time.