Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

VoodooXT posted:

If you're going with budget lights, I would recommend GVM, Yongnuo, or your aforementioned Neewer. If you want the big boys, I recommend Aputure, Creamsource, Litepanels, Litemat, Quasar Science, and Nanlite.

I was also looking for some budget LED panels a while back and got a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/simorr-Rechargeable-Photography-Conference-TikTok-3489/dp/B09G98NRQZ
Obviously you don't get anything like the power of a proper setup, but they worked great for me to record some talking to a camera stuff for a conference, and the colour temperature control is pretty handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

big scary monsters posted:

I was also looking for some budget LED panels a while back and got a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/simorr-Rechargeable-Photography-Conference-TikTok-3489/dp/B09G98NRQZ
Obviously you don't get anything like the power of a proper setup, but they worked great for me to record some talking to a camera stuff for a conference, and the colour temperature control is pretty handy.

Oh yeah, those are good. I used another off-brand version of those to shoot a horror feature.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I plan to get a carrier for my sony 200-600mm so I could take it with me to longer hikes. Is this a good one or is there a better option? Apparently this is getting an update later this year.

https://mrjangear.com/shop/lens-carrier-system/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Man, I am an advocate of carrying what it takes to get the job done but uh, hope you’re not hiking overnight or anything

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've been using a Cotton Carrier Skout for a while and it works great with my 80D and Tamron G2 150-600mm.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I use a Peak Design slide with my D500/Tamron 150-600mm and it's good.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Slotducks posted:

I use a Peak Design slide with my D500/Tamron 150-600mm and it's good.

I also have a peak slide but for 15-20km walks I'd like something where the weight isn't on either side but in the middle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dangle mine from a camera strap. It's not perfect because it means the lens is bouncing against your leg a lot, but it has the advantage of being easy to shift the weight to the other side if you need to. But no solution is gonna be perfect, you're lugging around several pounds of expensive glass and electronics. Everything is gonna have a compromise.

I do like the safety net when I got a big lens on it, if there's any drops I can sacrifice my neck to save the camera!

I do like the concept of that chest sling thing, but it seems like you can only use it with really large lenses. As soon as you put a 70-200 on or whatever it's not gonna hold it properly. The reviews complain a lot about the strap attachments too so it seems to have some design issues.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sorbus posted:

I plan to get a carrier for my sony 200-600mm so I could take it with me to longer hikes. Is this a good one or is there a better option? Apparently this is getting an update later this year.

I'm going to look like such a dork with one of these but I've been getting shoulder problems carrying a heavy lens with a normal strap and have been looking for a decent chest harness. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd also be interested.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

I'm going to look like such a dork with one of these but I've been getting shoulder problems carrying a heavy lens with a normal strap and have been looking for a decent chest harness. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd also be interested.

I carry my lens slung upside down like a messenger bag, but I think the 200-600 is too long/heavy for that.

In a similar vein this interested me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdI2jzxoNJQ

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Looking like a giant dork is also essential when doing bird photography.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean all photography, right?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sorbus posted:

Looking like a giant dork is also essential when doing bird photography.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have the Godox 860iii-N for Nikon.

If I buy the Fuji wireless transmitter can I use it with that flash?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, iirc all the godox stuff uses the same radio system, the only different part is the hot shoe pattern

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Awesome. Thank you.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sorbus posted:

I want to report that I got one of these and I do like the a huge nerd and my girlfriend makes fun of me for wearing it. However, my shoulder issues have vanished and the carrier holds the camera and lens much more securely than I expected from the pictures. Plus the front pocket has space for a pair of binoculars plus a couple small lenses, spare batteries or whatever so you can probably entirely do without another bag for short trips. Pretty well made and solid at the price.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

e: I was looking for a camera and it turns out my sister still had her old Canon Rebel XS and so I snagged it. Hard to beat free.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 13, 2022

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
Does anyone have experience with buying from MPB.com?

I bought a camera and two lenses, and they have payment since the morning of the 10th but have yet to ship anything. I've asked them several times on their website chat and over phone and they said it was packed up, had shipping labels and would ship that day (yesterday and day before) but still nothing. What gives? Makes me wonder if something is wrong with the order.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought from and sold to them a couple years ago and it was fast and painless. But I've heard more recent stories similar to yours. I think they eventually deliver, but they're struggling for some reason.

If you're super patient, wait. But it's probably better to cancel and buy elsewhere.

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

I bought from and sold to them a couple years ago and it was fast and painless. But I've heard more recent stories similar to yours. I think they eventually deliver, but they're struggling for some reason.

If you're super patient, wait. But it's probably better to cancel and buy elsewhere.

Is it possible/safe to cancel though? They told me I can return only after it ships to me and I send it back. It's international shipping so I'm kinda worried about doing that. Maybe I can refuse the Fedex shipment when it arrives? Seems strange they still have it at their location but can't cancel the order. Surely packing and printing a shipping label shouldn't qualify as too late to cancel?? The whole experience is kind of rubbing me the wrong way. I went ahead and made a refund request from PayPal, yeah maybe it's kinda early to go that route but we're going on 4 days after they took payment with no shipment and no explanation as to why.

I would have went with KEH (especially considering their 5% off first time orders) only they didn't have the camera in stock when I ordered. And now they do :(

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I bought and returned a lens with them a few months back. Took about a week for the lens to show up. I returned it, and they received it two days later but it took almost exactly a month for them to refund the money. They had a backlog of returned items to process, and I bugged them once a week. Quality of the lens was fine, it just didn't zoom fully at 400m (Focus breathing? It was more like 250m), so I put my money into a new RF 100-400 lens instead. Shipping was on them, and easy. However, every interaction has to be initiated through their online chat app thing. No emails or any buttons on your order like other places. Kind of a hassle. It wont be my first place to go, but if they have something no one else has I'd be fine ordering from them knowing it may take forever to return.

I've also bought with Adorama and returned items. They were very quick both ways, but the shipping is on you for returns. I got a bum 70D from them and returned, and a fantastic 7d2.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 13, 2022

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I bought a used camera from them and it did take a few weeks to arrive. Are they in Europe? I dunno LOL

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've bought from and sold to mpb with no issues. Shipping was fast in receiving everything and everything was in advertised or better condition, including an X-H1 which was the largest purchase I've made from them. I've only sold one lens through them (as anything relatively in demand you can easily sell for more on eBay) which was relatively low value so I didn't pay too much attention to how long the buy process took, but I did end up getting paid their quote at the condition that I specified.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I bought a cheap lens from MPB last spring and it didn’t ship for two weeks despite the website claiming at the time that all orders placed by 4PM or so went out that day.

So right before it finally shipped I opened a PayPal dispute because they didn’t respond to my attempts to talk to them. In the end I got the lens about 18 days after I placed the order and they didn’t respond to the PayPal dispute, so I got a refund per PayPal policy. MPB never reached out to me to get the lens or the money back so I’m wondering if they aren’t very organized.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've purchased before and it's been okay, I don't think it took that long to get stuff. Selling to them was a bit slow.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm looking to get a proper telephoto lens for my OM-1, been using the 40-150 f.28 for years but want something a tad longer. Looking at the Olympus 100-400 f/5-6.3 or the 300 f/4. The 100-400 is affordable but isn't as nice as the 300.

Has anyone used either? Your thoughts? I've never used a prime telephoto before, so I'm sure the comfort curve would take a while to adjust.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxvQANQjdoA

We have shutter priority at home

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just picked up an RF 800mm F/11 lens. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I'm excited! Now I need to get one of those dork lens slings to lug it around. It isn't that heavy, but it is awkward and humongous.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Can’t find the bag thread so I’m asking here, I’m looking to get a new bag since my ProTactic is starting to give up the ghost after almost a decade and I’m looking at a smaller sling bag since I don’t carry a full size laptop anymore. I’m looking to carry a fuji x-t3 with like 3 lenses, a vertical grip, and an ipad with room for a couple accessories like a charger, a few spare batteries, maaaaaybe a compact 60% wireless keyboard on occasion. Was looking at either the lowepro slingshot edge 250 or the think tank urban access 10, which of these would be the better option or is there a better one in the $100-150 range I haven’t seen?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have the Peak 6L and it's amazing. I tried a whole bunch before settling on that and it was, by far, the best built and comfortable sling.

They make a 10L size, so if that fits your needs, definitely try it out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an older peak design but got rid of it, it was too fiddly and the shape wasted a lot of space. I replaced it with a smaller Chrome Niko and a larger Tenba DNA 15 slim. A lot of smaller bags are longer than tall so shop carefully if you want your iPad to fit. I’d say check out the Tenba DNA 9 or 13, mine is incredibly nice.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

toggle posted:

I'm looking to get a proper telephoto lens for my OM-1, been using the 40-150 f.28 for years but want something a tad longer. Looking at the Olympus 100-400 f/5-6.3 or the 300 f/4. The 100-400 is affordable but isn't as nice as the 300.

Has anyone used either? Your thoughts? I've never used a prime telephoto before, so I'm sure the comfort curve would take a while to adjust.

I got the 300mm f4 recently, and it’s incredibly sharp. I need to post some photos I took with it in the bird thread actually. I haven’t been particularly bothered by it not being a zoom, but there are definitely photos that I’ve needed to crop, so in principle, a longer zoom like the 100-400 would have helped in those cases. I’m not very experienced with wildlife photography, though, so having some room helps with getting composition and focus right, and also with actually finding my target. I’ve used it with the 2x TC, too, and I can’t even see a drop in sharpness. Definitely a pretty severe drop in AF capability, though, at least on my E-M1 mark ii. With the 2x TC, you really need your subject to be in sunlight. I think if you already have the 40-150, the 300 makes more sense. It seems to me that it would be rare that you need both 100mm and 400mm at the same outing. I was also considering the 100-400, and figured I’d have it stuck on the long end all the time, so I just went with the 300 prime, since it’s supposed to be quite a bit sharper, and it’s also faster of course. I’m happy with my decision so far :).

EDIT: I posted a couple of shots in the bird thread. I’ll try to edit and post a few more.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 1, 2022

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone have a Gnarbox or, preferably, an alternative? I'd like a way to back up my photos on the go without a laptop, but have heard mixed reviews on the Gnarbox and the Gnarbox 2.0 is like $500.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the field backup solutions are so expensive or poorly implemented I ended up making my own out of a raspberry pi.

Not at all the answer you were after but maybe that will inform you anyways?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

imagine being able to buy a raspberry pi in 2022

you might as well have told them to put the data on their unicorn

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The solution is to get a raspberry pi and run an inventory scrape script on it to auto-buy any stock that becomes available.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Deviant posted:

imagine being able to buy a raspberry pi in 2022

you might as well have told them to put the data on their unicorn

Where are you located? Here in Sweden they started showing again up a while back so both 2GB and 8GB Pi 4 are readily available.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

USA you can only get 75-100 dollar ras-pi-b it's bullshit. Maybe you get Lucky and walk into a microcenter that has one or see the one day that adafruit has them for retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We can't get them for love or money. A Beagleboard Black would be the way to go with the current chip shortages.