Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

poemdexter posted:

So even though there’s new additions to Minecraft since the last time I saw it run, it really just added one place to farm eyes instead of building a nerd pole and jumping off to kill the things that drop the eyes. Also heavy abuse of the debug menu but I wish they were saying what exactly they were looking for since I couldn’t figure it out while they were swinging the camera around and messing with FOV.

They explained that the first time the did it, apparently entities spawned in the fortress they were looking for further away than normally, so they were narrowing the FOV and swinging it around while looking at how many entities were loaded in the FOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010

poemdexter posted:

So even though there’s new additions to Minecraft since the last time I saw it run, it really just added one place to farm eyes instead of building a nerd pole and jumping off to kill the things that drop the eyes. Also heavy abuse of the debug menu but I wish they were saying what exactly they were looking for since I couldn’t figure it out while they were swinging the camera around and messing with FOV.

They were looking for entities! (Which are things like enemies.) Where there's a big amount of entities, there's usually a bastion or fortress in the area, since they automatically are generated with such things within them. (Lowering the FOV lets them zero in on where they are.)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

poemdexter posted:

When they're looking around the Nether with debug they're checking the number of "entities" rendered since structures come with a large number of persistent pre-set mob spawns.

This video has a pretty decent full breakdown of the run if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggVP6BV7aY

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Agent355 posted:

up and down the stairs for 5 minutes, then they lost count and had to redo the whole run and it was mercy killed.

Classic.

is there a vod of that? i'd like to see that oh poo poo moment

the one linked earlier doesn't seem to have the forgetting thing

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Oh nooooooo

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

I love the tech issues screen. Design always seems to get better every year.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
DAYTONAAAAAAA!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

is there a vod of that? i'd like to see that oh poo poo moment

the one linked earlier doesn't seem to have the forgetting thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCmEFZiz3P4

It's not really an interesting watch or anything since it was just a botched attempt at a long and boring trick. It's more funny as a thing that happened. It was awkward as hell live.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
give me your money.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I know he was searching for loaded mobs in the game, but I could not find the line labeled “entities” on the screen when he pulled up the debug menu. That’s what I was really trying to figure out.

Cernunnos posted:

DAYTONAAAAAAA!

Also one of my favorite parts of GDQ.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tayter Swift posted:

give me your money.

:smug: GIVE ME YOUR MONEY :smug:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tayter Swift posted:

give me your money.

NO WAY

always a treat to hear Black Knight

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Loving this host (Xenadir), basically a golden retriever on mic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sad that silly block is so far back. I really don't think I can stay up to catch it since its basically in the morning.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah same. It's a block I normally like to catch live but oof, not sure I can make it that late

I might try anyway as I'm not doing anything tomorrow but more likely I'll just fall asleep.

E: it's weird how much copy/paste content filler they put into this mario. It's a cool speedgame but man it's a slog casually.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 30, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

E: it's weird how much copy/paste content filler they put into this mario. It's a cool speedgame but man it's a slog casually.

i absolutely hated mario sunshine all three times i tried getting into it, but like all 3d marios it is hella impressive watching someone speedrun it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Agent355 posted:

The more fun the movement is, the more absolutely miserable garbage they stuff into the 3d Mario game. See: 300 glowing circles to groundpound in smo

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My hot-take is that SMO is bad actually. It's got really rad movement but it's so full of filler that there is basically no actually good content. All the moons in SMO are basically just blue coins from sunshine.

Rad speedgame tho (except that literally 20% of it is moon-get jingles)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
.... whuuuuuuops

e: poor dude :(

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
jeez, even fast these games are so long

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is this a bit

Its a bit

.... its not a bit is it?

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010
Oof. Game over. With no backup save.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh no the guy is gonna cry.

That poor dude.

That might be one of the worst gently caress ups I've seen at a GDQ.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Oh, wow, I'm so used to these being bits that -

huh. well, that sucks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oof

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this a bit

Its a bit

.... its not a bit is it?

:same:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
LMAO

Game Over in a 3 hour long run with no saves.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So are they gonna let this run over by 45 minutes now or

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Definitely sucked the air out of the room. What a bummer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope this dude bounces back and nails every single difficult trick from here to the end

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sounds like they're just gonna let him play until the estimate and then kill it there to keep a schedule.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Just switch it to any% and when the time comes go kill bowset

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Good save, host

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

why not turn it into a 79 shine run, this dude is the record holder in that category and it's 2 hours 20 minutes

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Sad that silly block is so far back. I really don't think I can stay up to catch it since its basically in the morning.

Yeah, it slipped like 90 minutes from when I went to bed yesterday. Sadly I took a nap thinking I would stay up at watch it all, but with it starting so late now it would really throw off my sleep schedule.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If I went to bed now I could set an alarm for a reasonable time and still catch the last half of it or something. Might be a compromise.

Waking up to an alarm is the devil tho, and guaranteed to make me sleepy the rest of the day.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Having a sleep schedule is capitalism

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Flesnolk posted:

Having a sleep schedule is capitalism

when I came home from AGDQ14 I started working overnights so in a way I have simply not ever recovered from that event 8 and a half years later

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
mario's gutteral scream in Sunshine is horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Kuros posted:

LMAO

Game Over in a 3 hour long run with no saves.

:eng99: