Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I want you to know I saw and loved this joke. Now I'm thinking of that "this is the future liberals want" meme with the giant dominatrices, but they're all Frans Drescher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzh6XCaEE80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

girl on Twitter: don't you guys think that men's armpits stank????

this thread: ok come on. They probably met one guy with stinky armpits and now they think every guy has them. This is not even mentioning ALL the women I've met over the years who have stinky armpits themselves!

men are very emotionally fragile when you think about it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

if anything the 'boy thing' line is insidious propaganda intended to erase the existence of millions of david lynch type broads

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1480286294634909697?s=20&t=zGKJ1SQPqPzrqwLF9HldJQ

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Durf posted:

a friend once asked if I could help someone with some storyboards for his western film pitch, for mood reference he mostly sent shots from the movie Ravenous

anyways the deal fell though and he sent a rant to my friend about how white men couldn't make it in hollywood anymore, they picked a woman because they are only interested in minority viewpoints, and a bunch of Jordan P evo-psych poo poo on why a woman could never direct a western

friend told him pretty much what you said about systemic sexism etc, then stopped to ask why I was grinning like a sicko

good movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ05POYpU0U

good soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLt98WxrYAw

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Ravenous is up there with American Psycho for me, a perfect film

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was all set to type "the weirdest thing about this is that that's what it sounds like when David Lynch talks" because I had never actually seen an interview with him

but then I actually watched it and it did in fact get weirder than that

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

loquacius posted:

we've been making jokes about them in return, yes :confused:

just saying that it is goofy to react to an obvious (bad) joke like it is a literal statement

loquacius posted:

Anybody on the Internet who makes a joke at someone else's expense is definitely at least a little mad

I have come to accept this in myself which is why I post in C-SPAM

(but not TOO much which is why I am no longer a C-SPAM IK)

indisputably true, as i am currently proving

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BrownPepper posted:

just saying that it is goofy to react to an obvious (bad) joke like it is a literal statement

indisputably true, as i am currently proving

I think you'll find that I am exactly as mad as you :smug:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

T-Paine posted:

"Boyd's Journey" is my mental soundtrack for mid-19th century America. Disturbingly off-rhythm but inexorable and folksy, with a Hail Columbia drop to give the whole thing a perverse genteel veneer

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

I was all set to type "the weirdest thing about this is that that's what it sounds like when David Lynch talks" because I had never actually seen an interview with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8yUxHawnw

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:eyepop: that's from today

pandemic has been rough for dave

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BrownPepper posted:

I suggest you read Charna Halpern and Del Close’s “Truth in Comedy” …

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

:eyepop: that's from today

pandemic has been rough for dave

i love watching these every friday

https://twitter.com/DLEveryFriday/status/1540352231861616640

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

loquacius posted:

I think you'll find that I am exactly as mad as you :smug:

you can expect to chill out around 5:00 central

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

what the hell

loquacius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Jun 29, 2022

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"Boyd's Journey" is my mental soundtrack for mid-19th century America. Disturbingly off-rhythm but inexorable and folksy, with a Hail Columbia drop to give the whole thing a perverse genteel veneer

The movie itself is kind of everything done extremely well like the soundtrack. It's funny, it's weird, it's political, it's gory, it's got action. There's nothing it doesn't excel at and it's almost unfair how effortlessly good it is

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

loquacius posted:

you never saw twin peaks?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

twin peaks and dog day afternoon are two things where I thought "yeah yeah I know what it is, I don't need to see it" but then I saw it and they are like my favorite tv series and movie respectively

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I watched dog day afternoon with a friend when we had nothin to do just to pass time. like sun still out on a tiny tv. and when it was over I just looked at him like "did we just watch the greatest film ever made?" and he just nodded, confused as I was

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jun 29, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

T-Paine posted:

American Psycho is another movie where you can wow non-movie bros by mentioning the fact that the director is a woman

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Casey Finnigan posted:

girl on Twitter: don't you guys think that men's armpits stank????

this thread: ok come on. They probably met one guy with stinky armpits and now they think every guy has them. This is not even mentioning ALL the women I've met over the years who have stinky armpits themselves!

normal world

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol if you don’t shave your armpits at least once a week

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

that sounds so uncomfortable. shave or trim??

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

that sounds so uncomfortable. shave or trim??

shave with mach 3. smells mach better

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

American Psycho is another movie where you can wow non-movie bros by mentioning the fact that the director is a woman

Hey Paul!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Why though

Also nthing that Lynch sounds like the type of nerd who'd complain about magic xylophones in an animated show

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

indigi posted:

I suggest you read Charna Halpern and Del Close’s “Truth in Comedy” …

for sure. i LOVE improv

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

this is not his first rodeo

p.s. dudes rock

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Jun 30, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1541924258326011906

now you may be thinking to yourself my god what kind of life am i leading that im learning about the existence of a tv show where baymax buy tampons from christopher rufo

to which i reply was there any good way to learn about the existence of a tv show where baymax buys tampons

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It does feel very corporate liberalism to put representation in as like an MCU style Easter Egg. You can imagine the Disney adult squealing over the trans flag shirt then explaining it to their boomer dad who doesn't know the lore.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

More like betamax :xd:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Wow! A thing you can easily miss. That will make me forget Disney makes donations to Republicans.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1541924258326011906

now you may be thinking to yourself my god what kind of life am i leading that im learning about the existence of a tv show where baymax buy tampons from christopher rufo

to which i reply was there any good way to learn about the existence of a tv show where baymax buys tampons

I've always found it a little comforting that big studios would rather engage in more inclusive writing and character design (even if it's usually pretty minor in practice) and trigger chuds than to take the opposite approach.

I like to pretend that those studios know that inclusion plays with a large majority of the population, but deep down I know that it's because chuds will find anything to get offended by in the latest hit movie, yet almost always watch it anyway, so why bother catering to them?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

C-Euro posted:

I've always found it a little comforting that big studios would rather engage in more inclusive writing and character design (even if it's usually pretty minor in practice) and trigger chuds than to take the opposite approach.

I like to pretend that those studios know that inclusion plays with a large majority of the population, but deep down I know that it's because chuds will find anything to get offended by in the latest hit movie, yet almost always watch it anyway, so why bother catering to them?

the main problem is that it's often so minor in practice as to be condescending or insulting

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i think the secret woke messaging is a product of the line-level artists and creatives rather than a top-down, cold-blooded marketing decision, since the movie and tv industry is still mostly based in california. california liberals certainly won't lift a finger to provide any material support to minorities but social justice easter eggs are a nice bonus and they probably would object to hidden chud signaling, like hiding 1488 in movies or whatever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Aglet56 posted:

i think the secret woke messaging is a product of the line-level artists and creatives rather than a top-down, cold-blooded marketing decision, since the movie and tv industry is still mostly based in california. california liberals certainly won't lift a finger to provide any material support to minorities but social justice easter eggs are a nice bonus and they probably would object to hidden chud signaling, like hiding 1488 in movies or whatever.

It's this, although at this point I can't help but wonder if it's also a marketing decision: Disney has Rufo basically tweeting out an ad for Baymax TV Show.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

It does feel very corporate liberalism to put representation in as like an MCU style Easter Egg. You can imagine the Disney adult squealing over the trans flag shirt then explaining it to their boomer dad who doesn't know the lore.

remember when Marvel’s Endgame pr blitz kept hyping “ENDGAME REVEALS THE FIRST OPENLY GAY MCU CHARACTER!!!” and it was just some glorified extra with one line in a PTSD therapy group

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's both. "Woke Capitalism" is both cynical and earnest. Both progressive and exploitive.

monkeypox truther
Jun 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

porfiria posted:

It's this, although at this point I can't help but wonder if it's also a marketing decision: Disney has Rufo basically tweeting out an ad for Baymax TV Show.

woke controversies are like 75% of Disney's marketing strategy imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Spring Breakers is awesome. I saw it in theaters at a completely empty showing except for me, my friend and a handful of creepy looking men who I can only assume post here.

I last saw Strangelove on mushrooms and never realized how funny and how homoerotic it is