Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Was flipping through stuff and ran across the pictures I took earlier this year when I rented the Nikon 200-500mm for a weekend. Among other things, I camped my feeder at just about the minimum focus distance.

I also built a raspberry pi feeder cam that I occasionally put out. The quality isn’t great, but it’s point-blank

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, that's the stuff!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Slotducks posted:

Holy poo poo

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
A family of Peregrine Falcons have been encouraging the young ones to leave the rock they nest on, but are still being fed by mom:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I tacked on a few days of birding to a conference in Orlando a couple of weeks ago (managed to avoid COVID!). This was my first time birding in Florida, so there were lots of new birds for me (23 lifers!), and others I don't get to see often. Rather than a huge photo dump, I'll split this over a few posts in the next couple of days.

Ebird trip report link for those inclined to look at photos there:
https://ebird.org/tripreport/61230?view=photos

Black Skimmer

Bahama Mockingbird

Florida Scrub-Jay

Florida Scrub-Jay

White Ibis

Common Gallinule

Common Gallinule

Tri-colored Heron

Tri-colored Heron

Tri-colored Heron

Tri-colored Heron

Tri-colored Heron

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Those Scrub-Jay shots are fantastic! I like the others, but Scrub-Jays are so cool to me!

Here's some recent highlights from the last batch of edits I finished up today

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Yellow Warbler

Baltimore Oriole

Red-wing Blackbird Male

RWBB Female

Barn Swallow

Great Blue Heron

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
_MG_0328 by Toaly Paz, on Flickr

I love these looking at photography threads because you all are out there in the end game bird raids and I'm just killing level one bird boars, but it's fun. Also the fact that there's a bird thread and an everything else thread is interesting.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

that's a good pic

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FSJs on your first trip to Florida? Im super jealous, ya lucky bastard. :v:

The Florida Scrub Jay should be Florida’s state bird and not the mockingbird, tell me I’m wrong. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrYenko posted:

The Florida Scrub Jay should be Florida’s state bird and not the mockingbird, tell me I’m wrong. :colbert:

It's been attempted several times. We have a screaming madwoman in the state legislature who's personally blocked every single such attempt.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 21, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

For full effect turn up the audio

https://i.imgur.com/FcL83Qj.mp4

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

For full effect turn up the audio

https://i.imgur.com/FcL83Qj.mp4

Creepy. Why not try the Catbird on for size:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylLKHdVlMHY

here is a boid (juvenile Kookaburra):

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Went to check out my local Peregrine Falcon fledglings again and one was carrying around a flower. Perhaps practicing carrying prey? Then they went and played/fought with their sibling

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jerm324 posted:

Went to check out my local Peregrine Falcon fledglings again and one was carrying around a flower. Perhaps practicing carrying prey? Then they went and played/fought with their sibling

drat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those peregrine shots are amazing. What a moment to catch

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
^--- this is magical

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Those flower shots are lovely!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

jarlywarly posted:

Those flower shots are lovely!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

good bird

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sandhill Crane resting in the shade
by Philip V, on Flickr

I was hiking around through a local marsh area at close by arboretum, and I was coming out into a tree area a pair of cranes were half asleep. One is off frame, a big lump on the ground fast asleep, while this one was kind of on watch duty. I didn't want to disturb them too much. Eventually the one that was asleep woke up, stood up, and promptly took a massive poo poo everywhere. Then walked a few steps to the side and proceeded to lay back down to go back to sleep. All I could think of is this thread title.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Jerm324 posted:

Unreal!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I live by the ocean, so we have lots and lots of seagulls, good for practicing BIF

Nikon D750, Tokina AT-X AF SD 80-200mm at 200mm f7.1 1/1000, ISO 320, slightly cropped. Pulled up the exposure about +0.73 in post.

The Tokina is from the early 90s and I am frankly baffled that it actually works for BIF. Of course the amazing autofocus system in the D750 helps a ton.
This lens was dogshit on my old D300, but works quite well on my D750, especially stepped down.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Another seagull. I liked how this turned out, but it's becoming painfully obvious that I need another 100mm or so of lens... when I can actually aim it properly :downs:

Typically it goes like this, though I know it's a difficult angle (full frame at 200mm, jpeg straight from the camera):
->

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Wibla posted:

Another seagull. I liked how this turned out, but it's becoming painfully obvious that I need another 100mm or so of lens... when I can actually aim it properly :downs:

Typically it goes like this, though I know it's a difficult angle (full frame at 200mm, jpeg straight from the camera):
->

When I was first taking pictures of birds, my telephoto lens topped out at 250mm and it was painfully obvious that it didn't have enough reach for most birds. Especially the ones that resent your presence like raptors and such. I stepped up to a 300mm and then added a extender to 420mm and finally got a 150-600mm zoom lens to cover all the ranges and it's been my go to ever since. I think Nikon has a 200-600mm that would work great for you if it's in your budget.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
_MG_0998 by Toaly Paz, on Flickr

Ignoble water port fowl.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

hello

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

I like this photo quite a bit.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I just had a 20x30 print framed for my living room wall, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Cormorant on the way in

IMG_0093-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Grey Heron Touch and Go

IMG_0081-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kingfisher

IMG_0132-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr