Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

jng2058 posted:

Maybe, though I might as well go get Dominions 5 in that case.

Despite sharing some assets they're very different games, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ex-Starcraft devs' new RTS has a page https://store.steampowered.com/app/2012510/Stormgate/

Also the makers of Battlefleet Gothic are doing an Aliens game, squad based strategy https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150440/Aliens_Dark_Descent/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
^ instantly wishlisted both tyvm

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

jng2058 posted:

Hey, are there any newer Master of Magic style games out there? I've already done MoM, the Age of Wonders games, the Elemental line of games, Endless Legend, and the Warlock games and I'm not a big fan of the way the Heroes of Might and Magic games play. I'm looking for something in the same line but with a fresh coat of paint. Anything newish out there?

Deity Empires. The battle maps are much larger but the basic idea is the same.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Homeworld 3 delayed into next year, but here's a nifty clip showing off its cover mechanics and there'll be a deep dive at gamescom.
https://twitter.com/HomeworldGame/status/1535290695711432705?cxt=HHwWgoC9jZywuc4qAAAA

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Has everyone just ditched the MoM format? Even Triumph went sci-fi with Age of Wonders: Planetfall! :sigh:

I feel like it's harder to balance a game around wizards who can just, you know, do wizardry at you. With the sci-fi games you trudge along the tech tree and eventually get absurd powers, but Master of Magic is just hilariously unbalanced, and right out of the gate too. If you start next to the wrong rival wizard, you are pretty much screwed.

Admittedly MoM does have its tech tree too, and there's some really insane stuff at the far end of it like just stopping time for everyone else, but if you make it that far you have several "I win" buttons on hand.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I feel like it's harder to balance a game around wizards who can just, you know, do wizardry at you. With the sci-fi games you trudge along the tech tree and eventually get absurd powers, but Master of Magic is just hilariously unbalanced, and right out of the gate too. If you start next to the wrong rival wizard, you are pretty much screwed.

Admittedly MoM does have its tech tree too, and there's some really insane stuff at the far end of it like just stopping time for everyone else, but if you make it that far you have several "I win" buttons on hand.

I wouldn't want to play MoM multiplayer.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JSjZqV-YK8

THIS IS BEING MADE BY BLACKBIRD INTERACTIVE???

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't really like minecraft but I'm cautiously excited to see anything that might possibly involve hero units and RTS functions again plus mc has the cultural cachet still to maybe bring some new blood to the genre, god willing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That Slitherine Starship Troopers RTS is out today. I actually quite enjoyed the demo, with its emphasis on positioning and sitelines. Probably gonna pick it up since SP-focused RTS aren't exactly a dime a dozen these days.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mordja posted:

That Slitherine Starship Troopers RTS is out today. I actually quite enjoyed the demo, with its emphasis on positioning and sitelines. Probably gonna pick it up since SP-focused RTS aren't exactly a dime a dozen these days.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

It says its out today, but the steam page says it unlocks in approximately "1 day and 17 hours", so who the gently caress knows.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can buy it, and there are currently about 6000 people playing so maybe it depends on where you live?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm guessing it was an error, it's gone for me now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone know if the Starship Troopers RTS has meta-progression in the campaign? I love that poo poo, wished AoE4 had it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone know if the Starship Troopers RTS has meta-progression in the campaign? I love that poo poo, wished AoE4 had it.

From the demo they'd put out a while back, I don't think so. I think they also abandoned one early feature they'd mentioned, where you could either ally yourself with Terran command or your own troops, which would affect what units you unlocked.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

From the demo they'd put out a while back, I don't think so. I think they also abandoned one early feature they'd mentioned, where you could either ally yourself with Terran command or your own troops, which would affect what units you unlocked.

drat, that's a bummer. Thank you tho

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

toasterwarrior posted:

Am on the 6th mission now, and there is no a meta-progression (i.e. out of mission improvements or choices you can make) in the campaign. The only progression they have is that your units get experience and you can choose special a ability for each unit that levels up. However, it's limited only to the mission.

TUNE IN FOR THE EXECUTION TONIGHT AT 6: ALL NETS, ALL CHANNELS!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i'm also a bit bummed out about no meta progression outside of missions, and that they dropped the moral choice thing.

However, it is still a solid game for its price, and I've found myself having a lot of fun with it. Also I love that they are leaning hard into the propaganda satire from the movies!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm on mission 13 I think in the Starship Troopers game and there another 4-5 missions to go along with 2 stand alone missions so there is quite a bit of content. Its been fun too. I'm playing on Hard and a couple defend missions I've won by the skin of my teeth. I like the friendly fire mechanic and having to think about how I'm positioning my troopers. The missions are also a bit varied by restricting what units you can make or when they suddenly switch in the middle of a mission from attack to defend or vice versa. They even allow you the freedom to explore but some maps will send a death wave at you if you explore before doing some objectives. I like that more than invisible walls.

I've been having a tough time with mission 13 because I can't build the core of every army, the Mobile Infantry, and clearing hives with mainly support units is really hard. This is the first mission where I think I have to lower the difficulty.

I like what story that's here because they lean so hard into the propaganda aspect its funny. It is a bit predictable like a mission where they endlessly talk about how strong a defensive line is before you play a mission where its barely holding on. They will also constantly say in a "how could they have possibly known" tone about how the top brass didn't expect or foresee how dangerous the bug threat was. It works for the setting.

The unit upgrade system is kind of cool but I wish abilities had separate cooldowns.

All in all I would say its a good game and I'm having fun with it. I would suggest it to anyone who is looking for a fun single-player RTS experience.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just saw a 3 Moves Ahead episode on Songs of Conquest, and I'm a little tempted to give it another try. I took a break because I didn't like playing a cop and I heard the campaign got really hard later, but the devs have had the chance to make a few balance changes and I hear that future developments involve cleaning up the mess an earlier leader created.

Anyone else had a chance to try out the later campaign and skirmish mode? The pixel art is really nice, and I hear the later factions are more than just human soldiers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I always have so much fun playing new Order of Battle scenarios (though as always I wish this genre wasn't so full of nazi loving white dudes, PLEASE GIVE ME MORE OPTIONS TO NOT PLAY AS NAZIS...like gently caress, some of the most "lovingly crafted" games in the genre are also the ones where it's entirely like NAZI GENERAL FANTASY SIMULATOR, CUSTOMIZE YOUR NAZI!!! and I can't really gently caress with that kinda poo poo anymore the way I might've as a clueless history loving 9 year old playing Panzer General or w/e). .
It is tricky for me playing the more nuanced scenarios that like, ask you to fight a defensive vigorous retreating action. I'm so reliant on using overwhelming offensive aggression and speed that like, playing as the Allies on the first days of the German invasion of Belgium/France is so hard for me. The poor British expeditionary force and French army are just like STOP TRYING TO ATTACK AND DESTROY THE ENTIRETY OF THE INVADING NAZI ARMY CIRCA 1940, THIS IS NOT GOING TO WORK OUT FOR US.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah panzer general was one of my absolute favs growing up. And the entire point of that game is to basically ensure the rise of global fascism with clever tactics. Super hosed up if you stop and think about it for even 1 second.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I enjoy panzercorps 2, but yeah for a campaign of escalating difficulty where you're pushing on and stuff, it's hard to pass up the story of the nazis.

But then, i kinda see the artifice of it as, they're just really gamey games.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah panzer general was one of my absolute favs growing up. And the entire point of that game is to basically ensure the rise of global fascism with clever tactics. Super hosed up if you stop and think about it for even 1 second.

I raised this concern in the milhist thread and was told by one poster to "get a grip"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Panzer general is a somewhat amusing game for me to see this conversation being had about, as that was my (jewish) father's favorite game when I was a child

Same dad that had me sit in the 4 room holocaust museum for 4 hours to truly appreciate how jews are the most oppressed people in the history of ever

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I can see back in the day when games were few maybe but nowadays there's so many good grog games not set in WWII, it seems silly to be upset when WWII games let you play as the Axis.

I feel like if that bothers you grog games are gonna suck. It's not like the VC/NVA or US in Vietnam or US/Taliban in the Middle East are particularly morally just sides (tho obviously none of those are as bad as Nazis)

Not to say games should GLORIFY nazism, but I never got the sense Panzer General was trying to do that. More some wehraboos in the audience.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh im not upset when they let you play as nazis, just when you can only play as em

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh yeah thats fair then, my bad I misread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh im not upset when they let you play as nazis, just when you can only play as em

This was literally my complaint lol

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Play the “Making History” series and you can play as any country in the world.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you can also play panzer general and intentionally lose

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

you can also play panzer general and intentionally lose

Oh you mean how I play as Confederates in civil war games.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Same but as House Harkonnen in Spice Wars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Speaking of civil war strategy games is that ultimate general series any good? I got gettysburg for a buck and change but I can't play it atm

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Speaking of civil war strategy games is that ultimate general series any good? I got gettysburg for a buck and change but I can't play it atm

Yeah I'm playing the sequel, UG: Civil War and it's great.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup, the best sequel to sid meires gettysburg

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Ultimate general is good enough that it gets frustrating when you realise that the meta elements are really half baked compared to the tactical aspects. Good for Dartis tho. Dude got to work on his total war game.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Is ultimate General worth it if you like strategy games but could not give the slightest poo poo about the American Civil War, both in the war itself and the overall period it was set in?

Basically I'm happy to play a strategy game that really brings it or does something really interesting regardless of setting, but if the setting has to carry any of it I won't be interested in a civil war title.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gotta say, Sudden Strike scales up nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkUk4t9PsGw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phigs posted:

Is ultimate General worth it if you like strategy games but could not give the slightest poo poo about the American Civil War, both in the war itself and the overall period it was set in?

Basically I'm happy to play a strategy game that really brings it or does something really interesting regardless of setting, but if the setting has to carry any of it I won't be interested in a civil war title.

I think so? Its ultimately about smashing stacks of guys into the other guy's stacks, hopefully with terrain, equipment, training/experience, or numbers advantages that you manufactured. If you don't care about the CW you may not care about where some battles are or appreciate the terrain you see and how it was fought over IRL. But who cares, barrage those guys with grapeshot and then bayonet charge 'em.