Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Disabling some accounts. The user that PowerShell is running as does have the required permission. At least the same user is able to do it via the GUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You need to run with an elevates command prompt independent of the account permissions.

You can even elevate the command prompt with a different account than you are running the commands with.

Not all AD powershell commands require it, but 100% of the time if you are getting unexpected permission denied messages, this is why.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your Chrome policies have started breaking it's because you missed the announcement ~1 year ago that terms like whitelist and blacklist were being replaced, and the latest update has finally removed the old terms

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7679408?hl=en

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone have any recommendations on running IT on an ultra tight budget when it comes to infrastructure, AV, Firewalls, etc.?

Environment:
- 65 end users and 100 workstations spread over 8 locations with the worst internet you can imagine (agriculture)
- 7 servers (5 Windows, 2 Linux)
- PDC/DNS/DHCP/NPS
- SDC/DNS/NPS/File/Print
- Util Server (PDQ Deploy, Inventory, etc.)
- SQL Server
- RDS Server
- 2x Ubuntu web servers (one external use, one internal only)

I believe I'm about to inherit a disaster and while looking for a new job is on my forecast, currently I'm just trying to hold this down for now. The owner is making sweeping changes across the company including terminating the CEO which was my direct report. I've been told this is due to spending and losing money for the past few years. The owner has indicated to me that he's going to eliminate our MSP which does our server hosting, firewalls, AV, and end-user support.

I was originally hired to do automation workflows, business intelligence reports, etc. and he knows I have the experience of building from scratch and running the infrastructure (VMware/Nimble SAN) at my previous job where I worked as a System Administrator. However, we currently have no in-house hardware and I won't have the budget to even setup a basic 3-2-1 VMware Essentials build. I'm thinking of purchasing a single tower server to run Hyper-V on and backups to a cheap NAS like a QNAP (fml) and sync to AWS for off-site. When it comes to firewalls, I only have experience with Meraki (expensive) and SonicWall, and AV was Sophos Central.

Some questions:

1. Does pfsense have any UTM capabilities? Is this dumb to even think I can go cheaper than SonicWalls?
2. Is the built-in Windows defender good enough? I'm assuming no but I am not up to date on this.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Absolutely no problem having that discussion here, but there's a small business thread that might get you answers more along the lines of what you're looking for. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

kiwid posted:

Run away from this if possible.

I also just realized how broken my enterprise IT brain is. I looked at your requirements and immediately wanted a 500K budget. Large enterprise has broken me.

I've got no suggestions really.

Fortigate, and Watchguard seem to be less expensive firewall solutions that are supported on their own hardware. Sophos UTM supposedly isn't terrible. There's some good refurb hardware deals out there for servers, though not sure what the market has done in the last couple years.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Absolutely no problem having that discussion here, but there's a small business thread that might get you answers more along the lines of what you're looking for. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832

Thanks I'll check this out.

skipdogg posted:

Run away from this if possible.

Plan to but the problem is I live in a very rural area. I moved out here for this job specifically because it was my first 6-figure income (barely). Now I either have to find a healthy work-from-home/remote job or consider moving again which is such a fuckin headache.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

kiwid posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on running IT on an ultra tight budget when it comes to infrastructure, AV, Firewalls, etc.?

Environment:
- 65 end users and 100 workstations spread over 8 locations with the worst internet you can imagine (agriculture)
- 7 servers (5 Windows, 2 Linux)
- PDC/DNS/DHCP/NPS
- SDC/DNS/NPS/File/Print
- Util Server (PDQ Deploy, Inventory, etc.)
- SQL Server
- RDS Server
- 2x Ubuntu web servers (one external use, one internal only)

I believe I'm about to inherit a disaster and while looking for a new job is on my forecast, currently I'm just trying to hold this down for now. The owner is making sweeping changes across the company including terminating the CEO which was my direct report. I've been told this is due to spending and losing money for the past few years. The owner has indicated to me that he's going to eliminate our MSP which does our server hosting, firewalls, AV, and end-user support.

I was originally hired to do automation workflows, business intelligence reports, etc. and he knows I have the experience of building from scratch and running the infrastructure (VMware/Nimble SAN) at my previous job where I worked as a System Administrator. However, we currently have no in-house hardware and I won't have the budget to even setup a basic 3-2-1 VMware Essentials build. I'm thinking of purchasing a single tower server to run Hyper-V on and backups to a cheap NAS like a QNAP (fml) and sync to AWS for off-site. When it comes to firewalls, I only have experience with Meraki (expensive) and SonicWall, and AV was Sophos Central.

Some questions:

1. Does pfsense have any UTM capabilities? Is this dumb to even think I can go cheaper than SonicWalls?
2. Is the built-in Windows defender good enough? I'm assuming no but I am not up to date on this.

Defender's actually doing pretty well in the Gartner magic quadrant rankings at the moment. Budget permitting I would however look into Defender for Business, which will get you some decent Endpoint Detection and Response capability.

If budget permits I'd look into M365 E3 licenses. Even with poo poo internet, that might reduce your burden on infrastructure.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have mostly stepped away from SA work so hoping people can answer a debate for me:

Once mainstream support ends for a Windows Server OS, they still sometimes issue emergency security patches, right? Can any other cumulative security patches be applied without extended support?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

tadashi posted:

I have mostly stepped away from SA work so hoping people can answer a debate for me:

Once mainstream support ends for a Windows Server OS, they still sometimes issue emergency security patches, right? Can any other cumulative security patches be applied without extended support?

They might do security updates at their whim , but it’s not something to bank on. Extended security updates for servers are much more limited compared to the client operating systems and are for now limited to big volume license programs and Azure.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

No, the extended support patches require a new activation key to be present, which is purchased from MS when you buy ESU for a license.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody seen a good blog post or similar about moving from Azure AD Connect to Azure AD Cloud Sync? MS have published this but it sort of ends without the "and if your pilot is successful then do this" bit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I think this is the second time now. I went to unlock my PC and it didn't recognize my fingerprint. Or the face. I then entered the password and it insisted it's wrong. I checked it on next attempt so I'm 99% sure it's correct. It's now asking for PIN that I've never ever used so there's a good chance I'll actually lock myself out.

Does this just happen randomly? I've never had this before IT moved everything to this Azure AD nonsense.

E: So I just avoided logging in for a day... and today it's the same. Seems like just restarting somehow let me avoid getting locked out, but still wouldn't enable me to actually sign in no matter what. Finally I shut it down for 5 minutes, started back up and it just logged me in with Hello. What a piece of poo poo.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 31, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Been using Hello/AAD for years and have never run into what you're describing. Think maybe your IT department messed it up or your laptop is having issues?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've seen that exact behavior if you're using hello for business with a local ca and the ca is messed up

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FWIW I'm now into month three of using Cloud Trust (beta) for Windows Hello kerberos SSO and it's still working perfectly.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 31, 2022

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
We're finally kicking Symantec Endpoint Protection to the curb, and rolling out Microsoft Defender using SCCM. It's all good, easy, etc.

BUT

There are a few things I can't seem to override/disable, and I'm hoping someone with experience can help me out.

App & Browser control wants me to turn it on, and alerts every Win10 system that it should be turned on. We don't actually want it on, not yet anyway.

The alert under Virus & threat protection leads to this:

Which we also don't (can't) turn on. This is an air gapped environment, and there's no onedrive, there's no internet, there's most definitely no storing of data in a cloud service.

I've tried various SCCM and Group Policy settings without much luck. The verbiage in Windows 10 doesn't actually match what's in SCCM/GP, so I'm at a total loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried the Enhanced Notifications setting policy?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mi...=o365-worldwide

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I do have that set so that at least they don't get notifications, but I was hoping to get rid of the yellow ! icon too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Last ditch attempt would be running something like Process Monitor while making the change to the setting and seeing if anything relevant gets shat into the registry.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are any of the security settings user-configurable? If not, is it possible to just hide the app from them altogether?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No questions really, I just tried to sign in from my personal machine

In edge, it insists on also syncing all my browser poo poo so nope.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

version numbers are strings and 1 is lower than 9

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gerdalti posted:

We're finally kicking Symantec Endpoint Protection to the curb, and rolling out Microsoft Defender using SCCM. It's all good, easy, etc.

BUT

There are a few things I can't seem to override/disable, and I'm hoping someone with experience can help me out.

App & Browser control wants me to turn it on, and alerts every Win10 system that it should be turned on. We don't actually want it on, not yet anyway.

The alert under Virus & threat protection leads to this:

Which we also don't (can't) turn on. This is an air gapped environment, and there's no onedrive, there's no internet, there's most definitely no storing of data in a cloud service.

I've tried various SCCM and Group Policy settings without much luck. The verbiage in Windows 10 doesn't actually match what's in SCCM/GP, so I'm at a total loss.

Any ideas?

Make sure you're using updated ADMX templates (worth checking just in case)

These settings are under Windows components > Windows Security There's some App and browser protection settings and Virus and threat protection settings. You can hide those settings in your screenshots if you want. There are other settings in there you can hide as well if you want. You can hide the entire Windows Security systray icon if you feel like it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

skipdogg posted:

Make sure you're using updated ADMX templates (worth checking just in case)

These settings are under Windows components > Windows Security There's some App and browser protection settings and Virus and threat protection settings. You can hide those settings in your screenshots if you want. There are other settings in there you can hide as well if you want. You can hide the entire Windows Security systray icon if you feel like it.

I'll give that a look, thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

version numbers are strings and 1 is lower than 9

Yeah I understand how it could've happened but c'mon, what are they paying the big bucks for in Redmond.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Next major build of windows 11 will have LAPS rolled into the OS.......and it only took 7 major OS updates to be included.

Azure LAPS in insiders preview.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo at last

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/az...f-dynamic-group

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

God I hate GPOs...

Is there something about this GPO that I've configured wrong?

It's applied, RSoP shows it applied both user and computer settings but the timeout simply never happens...

Security Filtering: Authenticated Users

Linked to the root domain. No blocking inheritance.

edit: I'm wondering if any previously deleted GPOs might be "tattooed"? Any other settings that might conflict with this in power and sleep?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 29, 2022

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

kiwid posted:

God I hate GPOs...

It's applied, RSoP shows it applied both user and computer settings but the timeout simply never happens...

What are you applying the GPO to? i.e. where is it linked and what objects exist under that container

A GPO with computer settings must be applied to a computer object (Barring the use of loopback... don't use loopback)

Additionally, a GPO with User settings must be applied to a User Object.

I like to separate Computer and User GPOs so that a GPO has either User or Computer settings but not both, for exactly this reason.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Zaepho posted:

What are you applying the GPO to? i.e. where is it linked and what objects exist under that container

A GPO with computer settings must be applied to a computer object (Barring the use of loopback... don't use loopback)

Additionally, a GPO with User settings must be applied to a User Object.

I like to separate Computer and User GPOs so that a GPO has either User or Computer settings but not both, for exactly this reason.

The user and computer are in the two highlighted OUs. Not using loopback processing except in my RDS - Computer Lockdown GPO.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:gizz: :dukedoge:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

kiwid posted:

God I hate GPOs...

Security Filtering: Authenticated Users

Linked to the root domain. No blocking inheritance.

edit: I'm wondering if any previously deleted GPOs might be "tattooed"? Any other settings that might conflict with this in power and sleep?

Even if previous GPOs were tattoo'd onto the registry, that just means the settings stick around after the GPO is gone. This should be overwriting any existing settings.

Are the settings actually reflected in on the end-points? You say it's in RSoP, but is it in GPResults?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

stupid question: did you unplug everything from the computer that could prevent it from sleeping? or is this a VM?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Even if previous GPOs were tattoo'd onto the registry, that just means the settings stick around after the GPO is gone. This should be overwriting any existing settings.

Are the settings actually reflected in on the end-points? You say it's in RSoP, but is it in GPResults?

Yes gpresult /R /V shows it applied as well.

incoherent posted:

stupid question: did you unplug everything from the computer that could prevent it from sleeping? or is this a VM?

So the GPO appears to be working for others but it's just this specific laptop that I've been testing with that isn't. The laptop has two monitors and a keyboard/mouse plugged in and that's it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there some OEM-specific power management service running?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there some OEM-specific power management service running?

I don't believe so. It's a Lenovo but I wipe and install fresh Windows 10 on all machines to get rid of the bloatware apps. The only thing I put back on is Lenovo Update for drivers and Lenovo Service Bridge for the website linking.

I suppose I can take a look at the BIOS but this user is now out for a week so I won't be able to get into this for a bit now unfortunately.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they work from home do they have a mouse wiggler plugged in, or a Bluetooth mouse in a bag that sends small movements now and then?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So I deleted the GPO and created a new one with exact same settings which is now working for everyone. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sometimes that really is how it be on this bitch of an earth