Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Unperson_47 posted:

Who is the best wrestler with the most 1 star matches
I'm gonna reflexively say Ric Flair, considering all the people he's been tasked with dragging to a half-decent match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Unperson_47 posted:

Who is the best wrestler with the most 1 star matches

Well, going by this, Braun Strowman & Toru Yano have 5 matches each between * & DUD but there's no way to search by negative ratings. And also going by this page I count 35 matches * & under for Yano. Which just goes to show that Dave hates fun. Where as on Hulk Hogan's IWDB page I count 42 * & under.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 29, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

bartok posted:

Who is the worst wrestler to have a 4 star or higher singles match?

Will Ospreay on multiple occasions Hulk Hogan. I don't know why Dave gave the Hogan/Flair cage match ****¼, because it loving sucks.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

None of you seem to realize that Shane is good?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Horace Hogan has a 5 star, so do the Bushwhackers

Q of my own: What ever happened to Chris Chetti?

Edit: I also just saw that it said singles.
Mostly to clarify because it doesn't show up on a lot of official lists, Dave Meltzer did not (at the time) see Horace Hogan's five star match when it happened and only passed along reports of it being *****

quote:

The main event on the show had Onita & Taman Goto from FMW teaming with Santo against FMW regular Horace Boulder (Mike Boller, the real-life nephew of Hogan) & local wrestler Tim Patterson & Casas in a two-of-three fall match going near minutes in a match nearly 30 minutes rated almost consensus ***** Santo was said to have looked better than ever before in working with his ''favorite'' opponent, although he and Casas were the only top-flight workers of the group. Apparently the rest brawled all over the building taking wild bumps from one level of the bleachers down to another, with garbage cans and chairs doing the FMW style while Casas and Santo stayed in the ring mainly doing their patented spots.
Which is also kind of saying "Hijo del Santo and Negro Casas had a good match while four other guys brawled outside."

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, apparently I missed that Shane McMahon has not 1, not 2 but 3 matches at 4 or over, so maybe it's him. I still think Nick Aldis is a contender.

I don't think Shane was that bad of a wrestler. Well, young Shane, I didn't watch any of his more recent matches. He was a very limited guy who would absolutely have been exposed if he tried a regular schedule, but he knew what he brought to the table, knew what the people wanted to see and was always ready to deliver (him getting hurt in spectacular ways), and was pretty good at in ring storytelling (looking like he got beat to poo poo).

I always knew what to expect when he had a match on the card and usually delivered and was fun. I'd much rather watch him than guys who are technically better trained but boring as hell.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

What's the deal with The Acclaimed guys' "scissor me" thing, is it a reference to something or did they just start doing it one day and it got over? I asked someone at work after Forbidden Door but they couldn't remember any context

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SG Bamboo posted:

What's the deal with The Acclaimed guys' "scissor me" thing, is it a reference to something or did they just start doing it one day and it got over? I asked someone at work after Forbidden Door but they couldn't remember any context
The Acclaimed would come out and spread their first two fingers pointing downward in an A shape. Around the time the raps started getting more controversial, they started pushing the A's together because they're dirty boys. Then their match intro shtick got longer on the ramp so Bowens started calling for Max to "scissor me" instead of just doing it as a signature hand gesture in the ring.

Meanwhile, Danhausen had been calling Gunn Club "rear end Boys" in his videos, and called Billy Gunn "Billy rear end". Billy thought it was funny and embraced it, his sons did not. So when The Acclaimed linked up with him they started calling them "Daddy rear end and the rear end Boys", which led to Bowens saying "scissor me, Daddy rear end".

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah, copy that. Thank you

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

sticklefifer posted:

The Acclaimed would come out and spread their first two fingers pointing downward in an A shape. Around the time the raps started getting more controversial, they started pushing the A's together because they're dirty boys. Then their match intro shtick got longer on the ramp so Bowens started calling for Max to "scissor me" instead of just doing it as a signature hand gesture in the ring.

Meanwhile, Danhausen had been calling Gunn Club "rear end Boys" in his videos, and called Billy Gunn "Billy rear end". Billy thought it was funny and embraced it, his sons did not. So when The Acclaimed linked up with him they started calling them "Daddy rear end and the rear end Boys", which led to Bowens saying "scissor me, Daddy rear end".

Billy Gunn was at one time in WWE known as Badass Billy Gunn and then Mr. rear end Billy Gunn. Danhausen took this as his name literally being Billy rear end, and thus his sons were the rear end Boys.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

bartok posted:

Who is the worst wrestler to have a 4 star or higher singles match?

I wanna say Bad Luck Fale, but his 4-star matches were actually pretty good

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

yeah, iirc Okada carried Fale to a pretty good match where the whole story was that Fale was putting over his own Tombstone, with his Undertaker flourish on the pin, as superior to Okada's. Nothing amazing, and probably the worst title match of his 2016-18 run, but it was okay.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The only Fale match I remember is the one he lost to ZSJ by count out in the G1, but that was mostly for Zack running through the crowd celebrating like he'd won the main event of Wrestle Kingdom.

Also the KING OF DESTROYER match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Fale/ZSJ match from Zack's first G1 was great too. Zack crawled all over him like he was a Shadow of the Colossus boss.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
There were definitely some good Nakamura/Fale matches, as well.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
https://youtu.be/7IDwF-t6TGE

Why is this so funny? As a question. What is your favorite bad acting/promo?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kvantum posted:

Billy Gunn was at one time in WWE known as Badass Billy Gunn and then Mr. rear end Billy Gunn. Danhausen took this as his name literally being Billy rear end, and thus his sons were the rear end Boys.

This was on a single YouTube segment before danhausen was signed and it got over as hell

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bᵤₛₕᵢ

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Horace Hogan has a 5 star, so do the Bushwhackers

While the Bushwhackers weren't great, the Sheepherders were supposed to be a very enjoyable brutal heel team.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I enjoy that they were evil heels from New Zealand. I can't imagine how many 'they're right and they should say it' comments they'd get whenever they'd cut a pro-New Zealand anti-USA promo in this day and age.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

While the Bushwhackers weren't great, the Sheepherders were supposed to be a very enjoyable brutal heel team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa5h_Ubnqxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM0MaLd93h0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVYYb_zuwo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I enjoy that they were evil heels from New Zealand. I can't imagine how many 'they're right and they should say it' comments they'd get whenever they'd cut a pro-New Zealand anti-USA promo in this day and age.
https://twitter.com/ScotlandGreen/status/1542587762444042244?t=SNoMYc2xHwvEnK8gJbQOSA&s=19

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

there's a TNA/Impact clip of Trinity reading her cue "Trinity enters ring" before she does and it loops back into awesome.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lily Catts posted:

there's a TNA/Impact clip of Trinity reading her cue "Trinity enters ring" before she does and it loops back into awesome.

It's the intensity she says it with that makes it work. It could have been terrible but she's fired up just enough that it becomes amazing.

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1460698934154862592?s=20&t=9pgvkvSpx0ETNx70mOngPA

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

After the star rating questions from last page I feel obligated to ask, who is the most consistently mediocre worker? You guys mentioned bad wrestlers who managed a good match, and great wrestlers who had bad matches, but who always delivers a match that is fine? Just cranking out a conveyor belt of 3.25 star matches every single time, regardless if they are given a once in a lifetime opportunity against an amazing wrestler, while simultaneously if they are put in a terrible situation they manage to avoid having it be an all time dumpster fire that gets mocked relentlessly.

I'm looking around cagematch a little bit and I might have to nominate X-Pac. He never had the highs the other members of the clique reached, wasn't responsible for any of the most memorable moments of the attitude era, then worked TNA after that but never had performances like some of the TNA originals had. But on the other hand, he was definitely a step above the work rate of the average stiff of the new generation era, wasn't involved in anything trainwreck awful during the attitude era or after, and his indie bookings as he got older seemed to be decent, from what I've heard.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Could be Scorpio Sky? High floor, low ceiling kinda guy. He's not gonna give you anything special but in the ring he's never bad.

YOSHI-HASHI, Chase Owens, Yujiro Takahashi also fit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his rep is much better and he deserves that and i like him, but to me, it's fit finlay

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My first thought was Miz. He's not bad (except for his comical inability to do a figure four) but he's never especially great either

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Could be Scorpio Sky? High floor, low ceiling kinda guy. He's not gonna give you anything special but in the ring he's never bad.

YOSHI-HASHI, Chase Owens, Yujiro Takahashi also fit.

Yoshi-Hashi was definitely that guy for years if we're talking mediocre. But if we're talking 3.25 stars which is good but not notable I'd say Regal is that guy.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Stealth Tiger posted:

After the star rating questions from last page I feel obligated to ask, who is the most consistently mediocre worker? You guys mentioned bad wrestlers who managed a good match, and great wrestlers who had bad matches, but who always delivers a match that is fine? Just cranking out a conveyor belt of 3.25 star matches every single time, regardless if they are given a once in a lifetime opportunity against an amazing wrestler, while simultaneously if they are put in a terrible situation they manage to avoid having it be an all time dumpster fire that gets mocked relentlessly.

I'm looking around cagematch a little bit and I might have to nominate X-Pac. He never had the highs the other members of the clique reached, wasn't responsible for any of the most memorable moments of the attitude era, then worked TNA after that but never had performances like some of the TNA originals had. But on the other hand, he was definitely a step above the work rate of the average stiff of the new generation era, wasn't involved in anything trainwreck awful during the attitude era or after, and his indie bookings as he got older seemed to be decent, from what I've heard.

X-Pac is pretty renowned backstage for being a litmus test like "if you can't have a good match with X-Pac then you're probably irredeemably poo poo".

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Stealth Tiger posted:

BUSHI.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I’m going with Test.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Also, arguably present-day Hirooki Goto lol

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ziggler

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Also, arguably present-day Hirooki Goto lol

I think Goto doesn't have that consistency, there are matches where he really knocks it out of the park like Suzuki at WK12 and then there are matches that are straight up bad like his NEVER title matches with EVIL and Taichi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think Goto doesn't have that consistency, there are matches where he really knocks it out of the park like Suzuki at WK12 and then there are matches that are straight up bad like his NEVER title matches with EVIL and Taichi.

Thinking about the street fight he had in ROH where he took 1 bump and was bested by Bully Ray who took 0 bumps including managing to stay on his feet delivering a super bomb.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

lol it's like someone forgot their cue to come in so they just had to ad lib a scene.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

anakha posted:

Don't mind me, just wanted to make sure I can easily find these two clips of YOSHI-HASHI cracking the Stone Pitbull again after searching for so long.

edogawa rando posted:

Clip 1
At... the... next... Ryogoku... show... I'm... going... to... make... it... a... match... where... everything... comes... together.

He's then asked about any particular opponents that he's concerned about.

Yoshi looks away, and then mumbles a sound. Basically the equivalent of "um."

Clip 2
Everything can change in a moment. Today I'm going to change everything. Bullet Club, have a look... *awkwardly points at the rest of CHAOS*... at these team members. We definitely won't lose, have a good look!"

When your promo skills are so bad your stablemates corpse on TV...

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Stealth Tiger posted:

Don't make me tap the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

anakha posted:

When your promo skills are so bad your stablemates corpse on TV...

Yet another reason Yoshi-Hashi should be everyone's favourite wrestler