Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jesus christ it's so pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

rofl

ps: use (your area code) Jenny Number. i do it often enough that I have accidentally given it out as my own number for legitimate stuff before.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mawarannahr posted:

rofl

ps: use (your area code) Jenny Number. i do it often enough that I have accidentally given it out as my own number for legitimate stuff before.

that’s genius

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
People have been using the Tommy Tutone method for 20+ years. I used it for my first kroger card back in 2000.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FFT posted:

a Quantum Leap remake/reboot/restart is coming, and apparently there are no plans for Scott Bakula to be in it
Well, duh, he never made it home.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol corrupting the sanctity of corporate data as if that isn’t blessed

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
is the consumer data generated by loyalty cards even demonstrably useful or is it on the same level of corporate haruspicy and tasseography as advertising?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Renaissance Robot posted:

is the consumer data generated by loyalty cards even demonstrably useful or is it on the same level of corporate haruspicy and tasseography as advertising?

Let's be honest here, you just wanted to work those words into the conversation. And I respect that, they're good words

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It seems the one thing I get to be a Professional Expert about in life at this point is cash register and related technology so I can tell you that no, it is not any more useful than that. Stores really really want it to be though, cuz they're desperate to find the thing that will let them compete with amazon. They're glomping real hard on a bunch of different ways to bring the horrors of online shopping into the real world, like real life targeted advertising based on your physical shopping interactions. I think i've mentioned this example before but I went to a presentation by one of these companies and the scenario they gave was the store panopticon notices a person picking up [product], looking at it ever so longingly, then putting it back, only to later during checkout have the person running the cash register say (after getting the exact script as a prompt on their register, because you don't trust your minimum wage peons to improvise do you??) "By the way Mr. $ErrorNameNotFound$, we have a secret sale on [product] today!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shame Boy posted:

It seems the one thing I get to be a Professional Expert about in life at this point is cash register and related technology so I can tell you that no, it is not any more useful than that. Stores really really want it to be though, cuz they're desperate to find the thing that will let them compete with amazon. They're glomping real hard on a bunch of different ways to bring the horrors of online shopping into the real world, like real life targeted advertising based on your physical shopping interactions. I think i've mentioned this example before but I went to a presentation by one of these companies and the scenario they gave was the store panopticon notices a person picking up [product], looking at it ever so longingly, then putting it back, only to later during checkout have the person running the cash register say (after getting the exact script as a prompt on their register, because you don't trust your minimum wage peons to improvise do you??) "By the way Mr. $ErrorNameNotFound$, we have a secret sale on [product] today!"
If this happened I would go make a secret sale on gasoline and matches.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

More like copromancy.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

There's some decent broad strokes you can pull out of it; you can usually infer consumers life status (single, married, expecting child); if they have pets; do they have large amounts of disposable income; are they brand loyal/sensitive to coupons

But it's then only ever used for more advertising, so on second thought no, none of it is useful.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Whenever I stare a long time at a product Im usually reading ingredients/comparing it to similar ones. Is their AI going to be able to tell the difference between longing and scrutiny?

"we have a secret sale on [inferior/overpriced product]"
:ok:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Would you like two "thing you were laughing so hard at you called your wife to tell her the absolute bullshit we seem to dare to call a product" for the price of one?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

lol scotus just dismantled all regulatory bodies. get ready for tons of new material for this thread. also lead paint is back on the menu, boys!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bismuth posted:

Whenever I stare a long time at a product Im usually reading ingredients/comparing it to similar ones. Is their AI going to be able to tell the difference between longing and scrutiny?

Here's the big secret:

None of it actually works even in the ideal cases they're selling it for, let alone edge cases they didn't think of

:ssh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Retromancer posted:

lol scotus just dismantled all regulatory bodies. get ready for tons of new material for this thread. also lead paint is back on the menu, boys!

I just looked up the opinion and it's literally "if a regulatory body wants to do something that might make the economy a little sad, they are not allowed to and congress has to do it instead" which lmao

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Bismuth posted:

idk if you stare at a product or multiple versions of a product, you're likely going to buy one anyway at some point. all they have to do is show you one ad and then they can claim that that ad was the direct cause of your purchase and bilk some more money. also they're getting paid for the ads from every manufacturer (lol there are only like 2 or 3 competing congolomerates at this point anyway), so if you're looking at "cereal" you'll get ads for kelloggs and general mills, and then you'll buy one of those two brands because those are the only options, and look at that, i guess the advertising works and now kellogs and gm have to spend more on ads to drive growth or whatever

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Capitalism.png: On the same level of corporate haruspicy and tasseography as advertising.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Shame Boy posted:

I just looked up the opinion and it's literally "if a regulatory body wants to do something that might make the economy a little sad, they are not allowed to and congress has to do it instead" which lmao

This is how we're going to get decriminalization when someone smart gets charged with possession of controlled substances and they make a federal case by arguing that the FDA has no power to define controlled substances.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Related to that article, look forward to this in a little while:

quote:

The Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to hear a case that could dramatically change how federal elections are conducted. At issue is a legal theory that would give state legislatures unfettered authority to set the rules for federal elections, free of supervision by the state courts and state constitutions.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Retromancer posted:

This is how we're going to get decriminalization when someone smart gets charged with possession of controlled substances and they make a federal case by arguing that the FDA has no power to define controlled substances.

Unfortunately "controlled substance" actually is defined by congress for I think basically all the fun ones

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Powerless to help you, not hurt you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ahahahah

quote:

In its most extreme form, the independent state legislature theory was invoked — unsuccessfully — by Trump advocates in an effort to sidestep the legitimate outcome of the 2020 election. In Arizona, for instance, some Trump supporters used the theory in calling for the decertification of the state's electors. Among those seeking decertification was Virginia Thomas, the wife of Justice Clarence Thomas.

Thomas is one of four conservatives on the current court who have indicated their support for the independent state legislature theory. The others are Justices Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Brett Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh worked on the legal team supporting then Texas Gov. Bush in the aftermath of the 2000 election. Bush v. Gore, a decision often referred to as a ticket "for this train only," was never cited in any subsequent Supreme Court decision. Until 2020, when Kavanaugh, by then a Supreme Court Justice, cited it in a Wisconsin election case dealing with rules for absentee ballots at the height of the pandemic.

We're all going to die

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Related to that article, look forward to this in a little while:

lol

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

People always say "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" but the inevitable collapse and extinction of humanity seems like a pretty permanent problem.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Retromancer posted:

People always say "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" but the inevitable collapse and extinction of humanity seems like a pretty permanent problem.

Also, permanent solutions can be pretty good (?)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
My "1 hour euthanasia, or your money back!" service is causing lots of anxiety that can be solved by my 1 hour euthanasia service.

Or your money back!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

L

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Retromancer posted:

humanity isn't going to collapse just because the us becomes an oppressive one-party theocracy, dude

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

humanity isn't going to collapse just because the us becomes an oppressive one-party theocracy, dude
Have you looked at climate science lately?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
How's the climate doing? Good I hope. Are we up to 3C yet?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ham Equity posted:

yes it doesn’t approach human extinction levels lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

How's the climate doing? Good I hope. Are we up to 3C yet?

Working hard, thank you!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
itll just be hundreds of millions dead. current count is just 1 million or so cuz the syrian war is basically 70% the megadrought and crop failure they had, so just 100x worse than current

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

no because climate change is fake

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ham Equity posted:

yes?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

post/name combo

too bad about your ugly rear end bird avatar

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

According to the World Bank, climate change is going to cause a 70% reduction in agricultural output, but 90% of economic activity takes place indoors, so 93% of the economy will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Chamale posted:

According to the World Bank, climate change is going to cause a 70% reduction in agricultural output,

have you considered all the land that will become farmable soon??? buy now!!!

i'll be growing avocados in minnesota!!