Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also Touhou Luna Nights is real good and has great boss fights but also is machine translated if that's a dealbreaker

personally i don't mind machine or otherwise poor TL in story, but once it starts to make game mechanics less than clear it quickly becomes a dealbreaker

anyway Touhou Luna Nights & Deedlit are close to what I'm looking for, I think. Muramasa's a miss, but i had to think about why: i like getting new movement abilities & seeing where else i can get to that I couldn't before, and having a new skill to master, rather than having everything from the word "go"

bonus points if the game is arranged in such a way that it's not obvious there was ever a "there" to get to in the first place, or where the abilities themselves recontextualize the way i observe the game world. it's one thing to walk past a cliff and mentally go "come back with double-jump/wall-climb/whatever other inevitable standard platformer ability"; it's quite another, much more interesting, thing for me to come back and see some blue flowers that i belatedly realize i can grapple to in Ori, for example

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Flimf posted:

Release Dragon's Crown for PC, Vanillaware you colossal sex perverts

Seconding this, down for DnD/TnA

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

personally i don't mind machine or otherwise poor TL in story, but once it starts to make game mechanics less than clear it quickly becomes a dealbreaker

anyway Touhou Luna Nights & Deedlit are close to what I'm looking for, I think. Muramasa's a miss, but i had to think about why: i like getting new movement abilities & seeing where else i can get to that I couldn't before, and having a new skill to master, rather than having everything from the word "go"

bonus points if the game is arranged in such a way that it's not obvious there was ever a "there" to get to in the first place, or where the abilities themselves recontextualize the way i observe the game world. it's one thing to walk past a cliff and mentally go "come back with double-jump/wall-climb/whatever other inevitable standard platformer ability"; it's quite another, much more interesting, thing for me to come back and see some blue flowers that i belatedly realize i can grapple to in Ori, for example

Rabi Ribi maybe?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh hey good call. i've had that for a few years but never played it 'cos of bad audio problems and crashes, maybe they're fixed by now

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I want the Complete Vanillaware Sex Pervert Collection on Steam.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The world is poo poo but there will probably be some good games in this at least

https://twitter.com/fanbytemedia/status/1542258565456531456?s=21&t=FBymD1Lugn_lkR6uweai5A

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I need the low-down on Eternal Threads.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046790/Eternal_Threads/

It's supposed to be Obra Dinn like. You have to use time-travel to save six flatmates from a house-fire. They're british, so expect them to eat out of garbage bins and call it cuisine.

It's been out for the past three months and never heard of it before now. Price of 30 bucks before discount seems steep. Ending's supposed to be a bit meh.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

From a quick look at reviews, is there any reason to buy anything else than the standard version of Assassin's Creed Odyssey?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

From a quick look at reviews, is there any reason to buy anything else than the standard version of Assassin's Creed Odyssey?
The mythological DLC is pretty good, but there's more than enough game in the base version.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Laughing Zealot posted:

It finishes the story and there's some cool environments but maybe play the base version for a bit before you decide. I personally really enjoyed the gameplay in it's entirety but it's probably because it's just really nice to look at and also the default run speed is perfectly fast enough so it doesn't waste your time in that regard. Very loose & free feeling, can climb literally anywhere, etc...

For only $10 more, I'd grab the Gold version if you like open world games. Or just grab Ultimate (which includes 2 extra free [bad] games) for $5 more which is the total price you'd pay if you purchased the season pass later.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Or if you're going to focus on it, not play it later/slowly, you can sub to a month of ubi+ and get all the games/ dlc for the duration.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

i need more people to compare Neon White times with

https://s.team/p/crt-mncr/trpbbdvt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Laughing Zealot posted:

The Fate of Atlantis is a great DLC, but the basegame is huge so I'd recommend just going with that, and if at the end of it you simply must play some more as Kassandra (which makes sense, because she rules) and you're not tired of the game then pick it up.

Do not, under any circumstances, buy the First Blade DLC. If you do, when you get to the point where Kassandra says,"I think I'll go back to look at the house one last time..." DO NOT DO IT. I cannot stress this enough. The game and Kassandra are too cool to be spoiled irrevocably by it, but it's a gigantic blight on an otherwise wonderful experience.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for the tips, I'll stick to the base game in case I'll get it this sale.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does neon white have a sort of CRT filter by default? lots of really thin lines in the shading

e: looks like the answer is yes, and oh golly gee i don't care for this dialogue at all

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 30, 2022

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Played through Starship Troopers: Terran Command and enjoyed it. Clearly a budget title, but they've created a nice little RTS. A bit barebones, there is only the campaign and a couple of scenarios and you only play as the humans. It's all about positioning, your advantage is in ranged firepower, line-of-sight is important, and friendly units cannot be fired through.

Mainly the reason I'm posting is that someone asked earlier if it is true to the satire of the movie, and generally it is. There isn't any broad satirical arc to the game's plot, your role in the campaign is heroic though command is untrustworthy and has no problem sending troopers to needless deaths. An officer will remind you that saving civilians is an important mission, so they can return to the mines and factories to support the war effort. At one point early on a union leader is labeled as a traitor the human race, for promoting dissent in a vital war industry. Every mission is presented with a cheery propaganda video that promises an easy victory, no matter how dire the circumstances. This missions themselves are straight-forward, generally you are either protecting a defense bullwark against waves of attacking bugs or clearing a map of bug hives that continually spawn enemies.

If you are looking for a change of pace, there is only one mission where you fight humans, and even that is only part of that mission. They bring up humans that are being controlled by the bugs at one point in the campaign, but it never comes up again. I suppose that idea, which would naturally lead to fighting human enemies, was shelved during development.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

Professor Latency posted:

i need more people to compare Neon White times with

https://s.team/p/crt-mncr/trpbbdvt

Added you!
Beating random goon times is more interesting than moving up some negligible amount on the global leaderboard. I wish they'd add leaderboards for Steam groups.
If anyone wants to add me to compete: https://steamcommunity.com/id/spectracide/
I'm only through the first second chapter so far.

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 30, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also worth mentioning the Rabi Ribi dev has a new game coming out later this year, it's a combination of bullet hell and snake

(the open world outside of battles is presented similarly to the hacking parts of nier automata)

there's a demo available as well, which I played and enjoyed, though it obviously wasn't super challenging since it was the beginning of the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

does neon white have a sort of CRT filter by default? lots of really thin lines in the shading

e: looks like the answer is yes, and oh golly gee i don't care for this dialogue at all
violet is The Worst

(e) reviews from dunkey AND zero punctuation for Neon White today, my goodness

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 30, 2022

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I have skipped every line of dialogue but I do like the look of the bartender cat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

violet is The Worst

(e) reviews from dunkey AND zero punctuation for Neon White today, my goodness

it mostly reads like someone who's been on a fanfiction-only diet since the early oughts but violet is especially so

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The 7th Guest posted:

also worth mentioning the Rabi Ribi dev has a new game coming out later this year, it's a combination of bullet hell and snake

(the open world outside of battles is presented similarly to the hacking parts of nier automata)

there's a demo available as well, which I played and enjoyed, though it obviously wasn't super challenging since it was the beginning of the game

Woah that looks sick. What's it called?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

goferchan posted:

Woah that looks sick. What's it called?
oh woops, sorry, it's called Last Command

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1487270/Last_Command/

e: notable games getting added to the itch.io reproductive rights bundle: Copy Kitty (my 2016 GOTY!), SPOOKWARE (spooky Wario Ware), An Outcry (full version, not the Haunted PS1 demo version), Aground, Sally Face, Mostly Intense Monster Defense, SJ-19 Learns to Love, and two games for the Playdate system. Also a number of repeats from past bundles, like Night of the Consumers, The Search, Paranoihell, Spooky Ghosts Dot Com, Gunhouse, Catlandia, Infiniboss.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 30, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm glad everyone is hating on Neon White's writing because I played Donut Country and loathed its writing (which nobody really commented on much at the time).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Feels Villeneuve posted:

deedlit in wonder labyrinth/Touhou Luna Nights
:yeah:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So excited!!

https://twitter.com/StudioMDHR/status/1541451400055607297?s=20&t=T6XKNpsASFEMVW0SBGN8YA

Expansion will be $8

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I've bought several games this sale but so far almost all of them have one play except this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

Not because they are bad but because I can't stop playing Necesse. If you liked Terraria or Rimworld I think this one might be for you. Go watch a vid or two about the UI and setting up settlements/work zones and then just go blind as a loving bat from that point on.

This is my so-far favorite non-Necesse sale game, I find it completely loving infuriating because I stupidly forget something crucial every battle* and get a Mech or two killed and rage out but for some reason I can't stop playing it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1389360/Mech_Armada/

*it's almost always "oh yeah that enemy can move diagonally... gently caress!"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Need to play more Necesse. I got it and wasn't really feeling it but I keep reading about the cool poo poo you can do in that game eventually and I think I need to give it another try.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I've bought several games this sale but so far almost all of them have one play except this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

Not because they are bad but because I can't stop playing Necesse. If you liked Terraria or Rimworld I think this one might be for you. Go watch a vid or two about the UI and setting up settlements/work zones and then just go blind as a loving bat from that point on.

This is my so-far favorite non-Necesse sale game, I find it completely loving infuriating because I stupidly forget something crucial every battle* and get a Mech or two killed and rage out but for some reason I can't stop playing it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1389360/Mech_Armada/

*it's almost always "oh yeah that enemy can move diagonally... gently caress!"

I played this for 5 minutes, it had tiny text, looked bad and refunded it.
I'm just not into Terraria games I guess since I also don't like Terraria.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

This sounds cool, how is it playing solo?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zathril posted:

This sounds cool, how is it playing solo?

This. I have trouble finding friends who are either interested or not wiki-fiends that immediately beeline the most OP option and ruin the pace of exploration.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I feel like all of these so-called "Terraria-likes" focus too much on the extraneous building and villager management aspect instead of how the game's progression felt so sublime.

Or at least I mainly loved Terraria for the adventuring and real satisfying gameplay loop of moving from wood->copper->iron->silver->gold or breaking the progression and finding some high level stuff early.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it seems like my discovery queue has been broken for over a day now. clicking to start one brings me to disgaea 6 every time but there is no next button, just the "go to queue" button.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no you've just looked at every game on steam except for disgaea 6

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Awesome! posted:

it seems like my discovery queue has been broken for over a day now. clicking to start one brings me to disgaea 6 every time but there is no next button, just the "go to queue" button.

I’ve been getting this too, but I found a workaround. If you click on the queue options from the Explore screen, down below the Start Queue button, you get to a screen where you can check different things to include or disallow in your queue. Change at least one check mark and save. Then when you go back to the Explore screen you’ll have a new queue available. That one should have the correct buttons. You can go back into queue options afterward and change your checks back afterward too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Deakul posted:

I feel like all of these so-called "Terraria-likes" focus too much on the extraneous building and villager management aspect instead of how the game's progression felt so sublime.

Or at least I mainly loved Terraria for the adventuring and real satisfying gameplay loop of moving from wood->copper->iron->silver->gold or breaking the progression and finding some high level stuff early.

I've played tons of hours of Terraria and it was only my last play through where I even paid attention to progressing through bosses, mostly because it was still relevant to my townbuilding interests. I think Terraria is good because it supports both and aspiring clones would do well to do the same I bet.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I’ve been getting this too, but I found a workaround. If you click on the queue options from the Explore screen, down below the Start Queue button, you get to a screen where you can check different things to include or disallow in your queue. Change at least one check mark and save. Then when you go back to the Explore screen you’ll have a new queue available. That one should have the correct buttons. You can go back into queue options afterward and change your checks back afterward too.

thanks this worked

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Is Destiny 2 worth playing at all? I hear it's super grindy and confusing if you haven't played through the content to date (and you can no longer play through it apparently). If so, what is worth buying?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

unpurposed posted:

Is Destiny 2 worth playing at all? I hear it's super grindy and confusing if you haven't played through the content to date (and you can no longer play through it apparently). If so, what is worth buying?

Destiny 2 has great shooting, fun powers, great feeling movement, and an absolutely gorgeous world, which is a shame as I absolutely cannot recommend it to anyone in good conscience.

The developers delete content, entire expansion packs of content. Hey, remember that cool expansion pack you paid full price for a couple years back and want to revisit the content? Tough poo poo, you can’t. The developers literally deleted it, because gently caress you, they just don’t feel like hosting it. They will happily let you pay for new content they will also delete later though.

Basically, until they not only pledge to never delete any content again, but also to restore any previous content that has been deleted, absolutely nobody should pay for anything they release for the game ever again, because there’s no guarantee that whatever new thing you pay for now won’t simply be deleted a year or two down the line as well.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that sucks, back when i played destiny 1 we would do old raids pretty often and they were fun even years later.