Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for arguing with my daughter's dad after he told her about his diagnosis?

gently caress this subhuman trash, I wish her a lifetime of loneliness and misery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

sephiRoth IRA posted:

gently caress this subhuman trash, I wish her a lifetime of loneliness and misery

Funny how the OP never says what she expected the dad to do. Just "oh you shouldn't have told her".

What was OP planning to tell the kid???

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Funny how the OP never says what she expected the dad to do. Just "oh you shouldn't have told her".

She thought having a dying parent would be bad for the kid's mental health, so she should just not be told until her dad dies and she learns that her mother knew all along and was hiding it while she could have been making the most of their remaining time together.

Obviously much better for her mental health. And by "mental health" I of course mean "mother being more important in the kid's life than father".

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think she expected him to do her the favor of dying painfully, judging from the contempt in her post

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I could see wanting a heads up about the kid being told because then you can prepare for them needing a whole lot of emotional support coming up. Make sure there's no big plans coming up, having some comforting meals planned, get ready for some sad and heavy conversations, stuff like that. Even if you're divorced it's still the kid's dad having cancer and that's a lot to deal with for both parents but that level of tact and foresight would require this lady being an entirely different person who is concerned about her daughter instead of wanting to lie to her as long as possible.

Also I legitimately did not consider all the stuff going into hetero dudes complicated relationship with sexual partners.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for asking my wife’s friend who has been staying with us for 6 months to sleep in a bedroom instead of our couch?

quote:

My wife’s friend has been staying with us for 6 months, give or take. We don’t get along, but we just stay clear of each other and it’s fine. They mostly have been staying out in a van with a bed, but because it’s summer time, it’s been getting too hot in the van, so they’ve been alternating between staying in my kids room’s while the kids are on various summer camp trips.

I was posted up in one of my kids rooms working from home while we had some work done on our kitchen. But I moved my computer out of the room and into my bedroom as to give my wife’s friend a room to stay in.

Today, I asked my wife to talk to her friend about not sleeping on the couch in common areas, as it makes me uncomfortable. I feel like I can’t use them and I have to be quiet when I walk anywhere in my home. I only asked this of my wife’s friend AFTER I cleared a room for them.

My wife’s fiend stormed out of the house tonight and my wife is furious that I would make such a request, uprooting the from the comfort of my couch to sleep in a room.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here? Is there something I’m missing??

OP posted:

Based on the conversation I just had with my wife, apparently I don’t have a say. They are just here indefinitely and my wife was upset that I even had the audacity to start having a conversation about “what does moving out look like?”

Sorry OP, you've been outvoted. Majority rules

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
A tale of a cool sibling:

AITA For deleting my siblings prom photos off Mum's phone?
Not the A-hole

quote:

I refuse to let my mum take pictures of me, and recently after her taking a picture of me it reminded me why. Let's call my sibling Jen.

At the time, I was maybe 14, making my mum 45 years old. My sibling is two years older than me and when prom rolled around they wanted to wear a suit. Unfortunately both the school and our mother refused. She has two much older kids that weren't in school when proms began happening in the UK, so she used that to say that Jen was her only chance at having one of her kids going to prom in a dress. Jen hates wearing dresses or being feminine at all.

Jen accepted to wear a dress to prom, because they really wanted to hang out with their friends, but was miserable the whole night and truly hated the photographs of them in the dress. They got upset everytime our mother would show people the photos, and even after asking her to stop she said "No these are my photos of my beautiful child". Much to Jen's dismay.

When mum next left her phone unattended I snuck over and deleted all the photos from her phone and removed the ones she had put up online too. She tried to show our grandparents the photos and was angry she couldn't find them anymore. She accused Jen of deleting them so I stepped forward and admitted to doing it. I got an earful about how I had no right to delete "her photos". From that moment on I never let her take photos of me. So, AITA?

quote:

Hi, I'm OP's sibling, "Jen"
(throwaway acc)

This was in 2014, Mum was super proud, but I felt dysphoric and miserable. To add on top of that, I'm plus size and she said I should wear shapewear under the dress as the empire waist cut of the dress SHE chose "made me look pregnant". Lmao I was 16, I've never forgotten that. The prom night was awful, I felt dysphoric and ugly and when our dad was driving me I was crying. To let me regain some control he gave me some sunglasses and blared heavy metal as loud as he could pulling up to prom. When I got out of the car, my head of year said "At least you LOOK like a girl, even if you don't act it." We're in a county with as much diversity as the cast of Friends.

Even after I explained how much those photos pained me, and how much I hated them, she claimed that even though they were photos of ME that they were HER property and of HER child. This I think I'm safe to say was my brother's last straw and he deleted the photos, angry that she viewed me or photos of me that way. She was livid.
While I understand that for her, this was really important to her and sentimental for her- my enjoyment and comfort was not priority at all and I was heartbroken to feel something like a dress up doll for her. For her, this night was probably so exciting and she loved seeing me in a dress, with my hair done and nails painted and makeup- but for me it was a night of panic attacks, dysphoria and hiding in the toilets a large part of the night. I tried to have fun, but the photos to commemorate a "goodbye school!" with my friends make me feel miserable looking at them. And I know if I were allowed to look like and be who I am, I would've been my usual funny, happy, bubbly self. I know that in the photos she loves, I'm wearing sunglasses to cover up my running mascara.

I've always thanked my brother for standing up for me. I love our mum very very much, and she tries but sometimes misses. This was a big miss. There's one time more recently she wanted to hunt down a customer in our store for chewing me out saying I was in the wrong bathroom though so, swings and roundabouts! ;)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Foo Diddley posted:

i just looked that one up the other day, actually:

AITA for telling my parents about my sister's plan to join the military?
She disappeared one night but it was technically after midnight when our mom figured it out so she was technically 18 I guess.

and you're right, there were no further details

"One night", yeah, just her loving birthday. Where was she sleeping, under the stairs ?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Funktastic posted:

AITA for telling my mom she should be fine with supporting me while I get back on my feet?

Well, what is he selling?

OP posted:

Pest control, each contract is worth between $200-400 in commission. One to two sales a day is average for rookies.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for showing no mercy and beat our dinner dates at video games?

quote:

My girlfriend wanted to invite her friend and her newish boyfriend (about 6 months) to our house so we can have a date night type of thing. I was on board because I love her friend she is such a sweet sassy woman that doesn't take poo poo from no one except me. maybe... sometimes.

So we hang out and talk for a bit and he seems like a cool guy. Not a person I would hang out with all the time because were different. I am nerdy and he is macho man only workout and hang out with bros.

Now is a good time to mention that I am autistic. Functioning, but I do have my issues I try to work on like reading body language and social cues. I also tend to super hyper focus on what I am doing. My girlfriend mentions that we have a game room with a lot of games and all the consoles they might like so we all go in there and it was universally agreed upon for mario kart. I REALLY like Mario Kart. Like a lot. He mention he was really good and I just said "Awesome, it should be fun to play against someone who will give me a run for my money".

We play Mario Kart which was universally agreed upon and I lap the two girls and almost her BF. He didn't want to play anymore, so they left and he looked around the room for a game he is good at. He saw madden and said "this is a game that I am really good at and I will beat you".

I put the disk in and he is just talking the entire time "There is no way you beat me" "I am going to demolish you" "you don't stand a chance". I love madden and played in tournaments all the time years ago. He just keeps smirking and making snide comments about how "I don't look like I play madden" and stuff like that.

We start playing and right off the bat I already know he is a 3-5 play guy who uses the same thing, but that doesn't really work on me.

By the end of the first quarter I had 42 points and he had 0. Start of the 2nd quarter he runs a cross route and I intercept it and run it back. He throws my controller on the floor, breaking it, and calls me a few names. I just laughed which made him way more mad.

We get back to the living room and he sits on the couch and starts texting which I already know was his GF. They say they have to go 10 minutes later and leave. My girlfriend noticed he was fuming and she asked me what happened and I said I beat him at madden. She gets a call about 2 hours later and she looks at me with her look I know is disappointment. Apparently he was raging all the way home and it kind of started a fight. My girlfriend looks to me and said "youre an rear end in a top hat for doing that. You could have at least let him get a few points". I said "nah" and walked away to play mario kart, which kind of frustrated her because of my apathetic response to her judgement of the situation.

Am I really the rear end in a top hat for running up the score and laughing when he got mad?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

mllaneza posted:

"One night", yeah, just her loving birthday. Where was she sleeping, under the stairs ?

I did a double take at that as well. "Hello, we'd like to report stolen property. It's our daughter, she stole herself and disappeared - we're not sure exactly when, but definitely in the past 3 months. No, I don't have any photos of her, but she's between 4 and 6 feet tall, aged between 10 and 20"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Soylent Pudding posted:

The other girl should be thanking you for revealing that she should dump the manchild who starts a fight with his GF over loving madden

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Soylent Pudding posted:

This reads like a nerds fanfic of the day they finally loving pwned a jock but I love it anyway

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
If he hadn't started trash-talking I'd say it could be a little rude to run up the score on a friendly game, though really only if you rub it in. Win clean, be gracious, all that jazz.
But if you start trash talking, no mercy.

CG kid is awesome, the search and rescue stuff that the Coast Guard does is beyond amazing and saves so many lives. I really want to know what they pestered the CG about and what the response from the lawyer was. "Not pleasant" sounds a lot like a formal, dispassionate dismissal of their demands for information on the daughter grounded in various policy references.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Quackles posted:

Well, what is he selling?

He should sell some to his mother, she has a pest she needs to get rid of.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Soylent Pudding posted:

OP should also be asking for a replacement controller.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elissimpark posted:

What about firing people to Venus - it's like the acid vat of space?
Hi I'm behind but I like this post

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Amazing how it's never the raging rear end in a top hat who is an rear end in a top hat, just the person who gives the rear end in a top hat a hard time

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

This reads like a nerds fanfic of the day they finally loving pwned a jock but I love it anyway

I can absolutely believe it. Had a guy flip poo poo on me and a friend when we beat him repeatedly in Tekken and Bust A Groove, because how could he lose to some girls?!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I can absolutely believe it. Had a guy flip poo poo on me and a friend when we beat him repeatedly in Tekken and Bust A Groove, because how could he lose to some girls?!

That's the most terrifyingly revealing moment about a dude. Why are you mad, exactly? You played a game and lost? Oh, the victor had the "can't do anything" genitals? Understandable, not at all mentally deficient!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ESH. The two guys for gamer dick measuring bullshit, and the two girls for dating gamers

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ok buddy lol

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Brawnfire posted:

Amazing how it's never the raging rear end in a top hat who is an rear end in a top hat, just the person who gives the rear end in a top hat a hard time

well see, that's just how rear end in a top hat is, but everyone around him is expected to do better

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

well see, that's just how rear end in a top hat is, but everyone around him is expected to do better

That damned phrase

I mean you KNOW how he is! We all know how he is. Some might get the gently caress away from this guy because of that, but not we resilient and understanding few.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for making a real life Pokédex of girls at my university?

quote:

So freshman year of college, I began working on this project casually. I like to keep notes on women I talk to about their favorite things, activities they enjoy, gifts/candy they like, sappy poo poo like that. I suck at remembering things like that so I decided to keep a spreadsheet.

Eventually after getting a handful of entries. I offhandedly mentioned it to my friend group. One had the idea that I share it with them so we could all keep new entries as they “caught” different entries.

So this expanded further. Right now about 40 guys have access to it and it’s mainly the guys in my frat, and the women featured are girls from different sororities. We also added more information such as like where you should take them if you really wanna impress them. We don’t keep this information for any nefarious or scumbaggy reasons.

Just to help us know what to do if we want to impress certain girls. Like the original idea of this was just to keep information like favorite color so I didn’t every forget their favorite colors. Now it’s helping a lot of guys.

Somehow, a girl who was on the list found out and she was pissed tf off. She was eventually able to trace it back to me so I assume someone who was simping for her snitched when the Pokédex wasn’t making the girl like him.

So she’s pissed off and she made it out to be a guide to hooking up with women, when it’s most definitely not that. It’s just to make impressing them on dates easier. That’s it. She’s made a big deal of this telling so many girls around campus and now they’re all saying that by the start of the fall semester, none of them will be visiting our fraternity or going to our parties.

Now all the guys are mad at me, when I’m not even the one who told girls about the list and they were all also using the list. I also think it’s unfair to say the list was all about sex when it wasn’t at all.

AITA?

Edit- I’m not a stalker. There was no information in it that could’ve been used to hurt someone. Only to have a better date. And it isn’t about sex. I never used it for just sex.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

A tale of a cool sibling:

AITA For deleting my siblings prom photos off Mum's phone?
Not the A-hole

With the exception of how hard she went on the pictures, my mother-in-law did this exact same thing to my spouse when they went to prom and of course it was used as an example of "Oh come on, it wasn't so bad, just do it again" for everything including our loving wedding.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i wonder what stalkey mcdaterape here would think of someone collecting and distributing all of his personal information. maybe with a copy of this reddit post attached

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

No, this is just fine. Don't make a group where women can decide not to party with abusive men, though, that's just evil.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
r/relationships: edit: I'm not a stalker

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So she’s pissed off and she made it out to be a guide to hooking up with women, when it’s most definitely not that. It’s just to make impressing them on dates easier. That’s it. She’s made a big deal of this telling so many girls around campus and now they’re all saying that by the start of the fall semester, none of them will be visiting our fraternity or going to our parties.

Now you hosed up buddy, you pissed off the hoe union

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Any questions have already been answered by my "And it isn’t about sex. I never used it for just sex" t-shirt.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Mmm thats some good schadenfreude

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Posting this a bit late, aren't you Mr. Zuckerberg?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
also "i assume someone who was simping for her snitched" jesus loving christ

you know, when someone displaying basic human decency causes you all kinds of problems, you just might be the rear end in a top hat, but i guess calling them derogatory names is just as good a solution as doing some loving self reflection

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

A frat dude who's a sex creep? Wow, the creative writing abilities of reddit users really surprises me sometimes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Danaru posted:

The other girl should be thanking you for revealing that she should dump the manchild who starts a fight with his GF over loving madden

And breaks her controller.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

quote:

Eventually after getting a handful of entries. I offhandedly mentioned it to my friend group.
And none of them told you what a hosed up idea this is?

quote:

Right now about 40 guys have access to it and it’s mainly the guys in my frat
Ah. Never mind, then.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

"what's the problem? zuckerberg basically invented facebook to creep on women and people loved him for it!"

i also love how the op makes sure to use the accented é on Pokédex

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

"Strange, many of these :females: are suddenly switching to 'Not gonna sleep with me'-type... There must be some way to stop this. I'll check my Prima Strategy Guide."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Strange, many of these :females: are suddenly switching to 'Not gonna sleep with me'-type... There must be some way to stop this. I'll check my Prima Strategy Guide."

Chapter 7: Washing your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fratboy used Neg! It wasn't very effective...