Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thrawn527 posted:

The list has Tank Girl above The Avengers, so I can't truly hate it.

is Logan really good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sebmojo posted:

is Logan really good?

Not sure you meant to quote me, since I was talking about Tank Girl being above Avengers, but yes, Logan is amazing, and one of my favorite comic book movies, along with Spider-Verse. So thanks for asking!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

is Logan really good?

Logan is, I think, probably the strongest Marvel licensed film period. It has its goofy moments but it is genuinely the closest any of these Big Superhero Franchises got to an actual ending even if it's a relatively dark one. It's a bit blunt on the "Old white fucks need to die, actually help the next generation, or preferable both" message but it kinda needs to be.

It's hurt a little by it not actually being Stewart's last Professor X performance but Patrick's gotta pay his bills.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thrawn527 posted:

Not sure you meant to quote me, since I was talking about Tank Girl being above Avengers, but yes, Logan is amazing, and one of my favorite comic book movies, along with Spider-Verse. So thanks for asking!

spiderverse is incredible, and should have been number one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

This is at least "super hero" so definitely Sin City and Dick Tracey don't belong, likely not Men in Black either although arguably both TMNT and Alita have a shot (TMNT probably more so)

If Robocop and Dredd are on that list, Dick Tracy should be on the list too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sebmojo posted:

:hai:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The list should absolutely include pulp heroes and the Shadow should be in the 1 spot,

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

#1 wasn't blade, list is wrong

:yeah:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

sebmojo posted:

hard agree

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

is Logan really good?

Adding a bit to what I told you earlier, I will say that Logan is pretty much the only time in watching a movie series/trilogy where the third movie is by far the best. Especially one that goes from "kinda lovely" X-Men Origins: Wolverine to "flawed but watchable" The Wolverine to "flat-out loving amazing" Logan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guy A. Person posted:

This is at least "super hero" so definitely Sin City and Dick Tracey don't belong, likely not Men in Black either although arguably both TMNT and Alita have a shot (TMNT probably more so)

Curious how you left Zorro and The Phantom out! HMMMMMM?

I love those movies, lmao. Banderas Zorro is so slick.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Logan is good, there's actual acting and drama involved. Jackman gets to do something aside from dehydrate himself. It's pretty far removed from the rest of the x-men movies, which means it had a much better chance of not being embarrassing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

teagone posted:

Curious how you left Zorro and The Phantom out! HMMMMMM?

I love those movies, lmao. Banderas Zorro is so slick.

Is zorro a super hero? He mostly breaks laws to help pope which should be heroic, but we often have the super heroes enforcing laws and stopping robbers and such.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

josh04 posted:

What's the best movie featuring Satan?

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Don't know why that list is considered controversial, seems to be the most nailed on mainstream consensus vanilla list they could have come up with.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Into the Spider-Verse is the best comic book movie ever. Logan's pretty up there too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah ITSV is pretty firmly my choice for Best Superhero Movie Ever Made.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

josh04 posted:

Revenge Of The Sith

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

checkplease posted:

Is zorro a super hero? He mostly breaks laws to help pope which should be heroic, but we often have the super heroes enforcing laws and stopping robbers and such.

Nice typo. And Zorro is basically the original superhero.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

josh04 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq-mgGrkcDU&t=65s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

josh04 posted:

Are Tenacious D considered superheroes?

I think an argument can be made that they are.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Are Tenacious D considered superheroes?

I think an argument can be made that they are.

They did play the greatest song in the world so yeah

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Codependent Poster posted:

They did play the greatest song in the world so yeah

And they had a magic guitar pic with super powers plus Jack had some ninja skills so I'm inclined to give it to them

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

josh04 posted:

I think she's in the last scene of Moonraker. :thunk:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1542351246962589696?s=20&t=uKJ14MUpzoZSXIKrwiJ2-w

Uh oh.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Not sure what to make of those tweets as I thought Jojo rabbit was enjoyable and haven’t seen any sailor moon ovas. But sounds like people not liking it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Read through all these tweets and I can honestly say no two people seem to be complaining about the same thing and also no one’s criticisms make sense.

I’m not saying they can’t make sense to someone but Minions? Sailor Moon OVA??? And Jojo Rabbit was loving great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

Not sure what to make of those tweets as I thought Jojo rabbit was enjoyable and haven’t seen any sailor moon ovas. But sounds like people not liking it.

The review embargo hasn't lifted yet, from what I understand. So these are all vague, non-spoiler impressions. But the first impressions from Twitter, as much as they can say, are pretty negative so far. Which is surprising, after the huge positive view of Ragnarok.

General Marvel backlash for this phase? Or is the movie that bad? I know I liked Dr. Strange 2 way more than most people seem to, but everything else this phase has felt loving dire. And I have hopes for this movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That Minions comparison is devastating.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thrawn527 posted:

I've done a little more searching on this, and there was a red carpet premiere with more plot leaks, and while obviously this isn't certain, the best I can now tell as far as if the cancer plot comes up in the movie, the answer seems to be ******yes******. I'll still confirm after I see it opening weekend.

Thank you. I think this is going to be one we avoid for now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
From some of what I've seen leaked people might not be happy with how closely a character's arc follows the one from the comic, until it doesn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Internet first impression tweets are usually useless anyway (they are almost always more positive than general reviews and it is usually impossible to get a feel for a movie from a single tweet that can't discuss anything about the movie), but it looks like the vast majority are actually positive. Out of 54, only 6 are negative and the tweet chose 4 of those 6 to highlight. Multiverse of Madness had more negative or mixed initial impressions.

The other two "negative" summaries aren't even that bad:

quote:

It gets better when it's not trying to desperately recapture the magic of Ragnarok. Most of the humor doesn't land as well as it did the first time.

quote:

Can't help but feel like Taika could have cut a lot of the humor to make more room for Portman and Bale.

The rest are all this type of thing:

quote:

Waititi may have delivered the MCU’s best movie of Phase 4.

quote:

The movie is predictably hilarious yet unexpectedly personal and heartfelt. Christian Bale and Natalie Portman's performances truly shine while Waititi delivers an emotional story. My favorite Thor movie yet by a mile.

https://twitter.com/RachelLeishman/status/1540190871152431104
https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1540190535666716672

quote:

It’s totally rad! Taika Waititi delivers a subversive, irreverent spectacle.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

josh04 posted:

O brother, where art thou?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

quote:

Taika Waititi delivers a subversive, irreverent spectacle.

I bet they're half right!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, what exactly are these movies subverting?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, what exactly are these movies subverting?

This is the full post from the writer (critic for Variety):

https://twitter.com/Lulamaybelle/status/1540193057911427072

She doesn't really say. But, she does confirm one extremely important detail:

https://twitter.com/Lulamaybelle/status/1540373459917627393

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Too big to be a detail.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What about dick, is the dick blurred.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

teagone posted:

What about dick, is the dick blurred.

Bale is in the movie unblurred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Internet first impression tweets are usually useless anyway (they are almost always more positive than general reviews and it is usually impossible to get a feel for a movie from a single tweet that can't discuss anything about the movie), but it looks like the vast majority are actually positive. Out of 54, only 6 are negative and the tweet chose 4 of those 6 to highlight. Multiverse of Madness had more negative or mixed initial impressions.

Ah, my mistake for falling for a baity tweet. Thanks for the informative post!