Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Damnit, I wish I had seen that TikTok to get this fucker’s credit card number and order some poo poo. Just an absolute rock-hard, baked-in-the-sun piece of poo poo this guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1542533150332653571

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

We're on track to take about a third of extant species with us, but what's a few tens of millions of years spent recovering biodiversity one way or another?

Barely a mass extinction. Plus, after the worst one, we got dinosaurs. Who knows what cool poo poo will come after mammals?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leaping into an acidic mud pit so future paleontologists will consider me the defining specimen of mankind

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

haveblue posted:

Leaping into an acidic mud pit so future paleontologists will consider me the defining specimen of mankind

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

Our era's version of the two-dinosaurs-fighting fossil will be a Florida man loving an inflatable pool toy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

There will be not future paleontologists. The Sol System will have two Venuses one day. We're #2.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

There will be not future paleontologists. The Sol System will have two Venuses one day. We're #2.

Sure there will. Some Ancient Aliens will return, look at the place and one of them will turn to another one and say, "Fine. They were idiots. You won the the bet. Here's your 5 Kreeblors. Next planet we'll go with the dolphins."

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
If they took this up for next session (guessing this means when they usually return from recess in October), that means this decision could happen soon enough to affect how the midterms are litigated, right?

I know they often wait until late June to deliver decisions but, nothing stopping them from delivering one immediately.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Have Some Flowers! posted:

If they took this up for next session (guessing this means when they usually return from recess in October), that means this decision could happen soon enough to affect how the midterms are litigated, right?

I know they often wait until late June to deliver decisions but, nothing stopping them from delivering one immediately.

Realistically no, we are talking about cancelling Democracy in 2024.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Have Some Flowers! posted:

It would not affect the midterms. There isn’t time for that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Gorsuch finishing the job at the EPA that his mom started, I see.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can't believe that "States governments can set whatever loving rules they want for federal elections and there's not going to be any oversight" is being treated as a valid legal theory. Yet here we are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monaghan posted:

I can't believe that "States governments can do whatever the gently caress they want in setting rules for federal elections and there's not going to be any oversight" is being treated as a valid legal theory. Yet here we are.

State governments are allowed to do whatever the people of their state will tolerate, but they're also allowed to control the degree of influence the people have over them, so electoral politics are a land of contrasts

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Monaghan posted:

I can't believe that "States governments can set whatever loving rules they want for federal elections and there's not going to be any oversight" is being treated as a valid legal theory. Yet here we are.

Worse, state legislatures. The state courts can't review, and the theory implies (but I don't think there's a case yet for this) that Governors can't use otherwise present veto powers on election laws.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Is weed and all gonna be legal now? I thought all that stuff was delegated to the executive branch, like exactly what drugs are scheduled. Any hope on that one?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Is weed and all gonna be legal now? I thought all that stuff was delegated to the executive branch, like exactly what drugs are scheduled. Any hope on that one?

To quote Biden, "if that's what you want, go vote for the other guy."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

It is still federally illegal. The states are depending on the president not doing anything about it. After Trump won he basically looked at it, thought he might lose votes if he cracked down, and told the DOJ to continue to let the states do whatever they want with marijuana, but unless the law actually changes, a future president could shut down all the stores and dispensaries.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Monaghan posted:

The conservative legal theories around the administrative state are just as stupid and it's treated as valid.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

It is still federally illegal. The states are depending on the president not doing anything about it. After Trump won he basically looked at it, thought he might lose votes if he cracked down, and told the DOJ to continue to let the states do whatever they want with marijuana, but unless the law actually changes, a future president could shut down all the stores and dispensaries.

If it's delegated to the DEA or whatever (not sure), then why not challenge the constitutionality of the delegation with this recent decision as precedent? Not that internal consistency seems to be important, but probably worth a shot, right? Or is there an actual law explicitly specifying marijuana as scheduled?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Eh, there's still oversight. Congress and the Vice President both have to certify the votes, and have the ability to discard electors they judge to be unfit.

While the Electoral Count Act restricts the circumstances in which they're allowed to do that, the ECA is an Act of Congress rather than part of the Constitution, and can be changed or overturned by a simple majority in Congress.

And if the executive, the legislative, and the judiciary are all okay with the electors, I'm not sure who the heck else we could possibly hope for oversight from.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

If it's delegated to the DEA or whatever (not sure), then why not challenge the constitutionality of the delegation with this recent decision as precedent? Not that internal consistency seems to be important, but probably worth a shot, right? Or is there an actual law explicitly specifying marijuana as scheduled?

The supreme court decision was actually very technical and procedural, did not touch Chevron defense, and actually did not do much of anything to the administrative state.... which was a surprise. It was basically through this very specific set of circumstances that doesn't get repeated often, the EPA in this case can't regulate CO2 using the method they chose, but they apparently could try to regulate it in other ways.

It doesn't mean much outside that specific case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

And if the executive, the legislative, and the judiciary are all okay with the electors, I'm not sure who the heck else we could possibly hope for oversight from.

That's when you stop using the ballot box and start using one of the other boxes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

Eh, there's still oversight. Congress and the Vice President both have to certify the votes, and have the ability to discard electors they judge to be unfit.

While the Electoral Count Act restricts the circumstances in which they're allowed to do that, the ECA is an Act of Congress rather than part of the Constitution, and can be changed or overturned by a simple majority in Congress.

Well the VP doesn't have a meaningful role, and his decisions can be overruled by congress..... and not just any congress but the newly-elected congress who "wins" in 2024 under the future dreaded new SCOTUS-blessed calvinball rules.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kentanji Brown Jackson has been officially sworn in as the newest justice.

quote:

Ketanji Brown Jackson marked a milestone in American representation on Thursday when she was sworn in as the first Black woman in history to sit on the nation's highest court -- officially taking on the title of justice.

Chief Justice John Roberts, in a brief ceremony at the Supreme Court, administered the constitutional oath to Jackson, and retiring Justice Stephen Breyer, who Jackson clerked for some 20 years ago, administered the judicial oath.

Her husband, Dr. Patrick Jackson, held two Bibles -- a family Bible and the Harlan Bible, a King James Bible donated to the Supreme Court in 1906 -- as Jackson smiled broadly and finished repeating the oaths.

"On behalf of all the members of the court, I'm pleased to welcome Justice Jackson to the court and to our common calling," Roberts said as the other seven other sitting justices attending applauded while Jackson beamed.

Breyer shook her hand and whispered, "Congrats," before patting her on the back.
She used two Bibles at once, so her votes now count double, look I don't make the rules.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

A potential roadblock is the international treaties the US has signed (forced upon the rest of the world, depending on how you see it). It is still signatory to the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961, the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and the 1988 United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances. It has thus agreed to enact legislation to limit the “cultivation, production, manufacture, extraction, preparation, possession, offering, offering for sale, distribution, purchase, sale, delivery on any terms whatsoever, brokerage, dispatch, dispatch in transit, transport, importation and exportation of drugs contrary to the provisions of this Convention," as well as "[i]ntentional participation in, conspiracy to commit and attempts to commit, any of such offences, and preparatory acts and financial operations in connexion with the offences.”

I’m uncertain about how this interacts with the Supreme Court and how it might interact with things like executive authority (c.f. the Paris Agreement). Does anyone know what would need to be done to withdraw from these treaties and who could do it?

New UNODC report dropped btw

https://twitter.com/unodc/status/1541428669473865729

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Also good example of how originalism is a sham.

When the constitution says equal protection for all that doesn't include gay people because the original founders were homophobes and so were the authors of the 14th so ignore the actual wording of the law let's just imagine they must have meant to put "no homo" in there because sodomites have been punished for 200 years and we're not changing now

But oh this bullshit legal theory invented less than a decade ago that upends what the constitution has meant for its entire history in favor of the doctrine that anywhere the term "legislature" is used the state legislature has absolute power and can't be vetoed or constrained by courts or even state constitutions, yeah sure fine no need to look into the founders' intent or history or tradition here

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Me, with a middle school Greek class under his belt: but what's so wrong with nation states? :agesilaus:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you serious

So if Mike Pence had actually decided to accept alternate Trump electors in 2020, and Democrats objected under the Electoral Count Act but the Republican held senate voted to sustain, you'd consider Trump's reelection legitimate because hey the VP ruled and congress didn't overrule?

I must be misunderstanding you.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Are you serious

So if Mike Pence had actually decided to accept alternate Trump electors in 2020, and Democrats objected under the Electoral Count Act but the Republican held senate voted to sustain, you'd consider Trump's reelection legitimate because hey the VP ruled and congress didn't overrule?

Hey, you'd also have to get the supreme court on board, and they're just neutral arbiters of the law. No chance they'd vote party line to outright steal an election, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

The CSA's delegation of authority is very explicit. You'd have to sue over the specifics of how the delegation has been executed, and that's been tried many times.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

A potential roadblock is the international treaties the US has signed (forced upon the rest of the world, depending on how you see it). It is still signatory to the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961, the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and the 1988 United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances. It has thus agreed to enact legislation to limit the “cultivation, production, manufacture, extraction, preparation, possession, offering, offering for sale, distribution, purchase, sale, delivery on any terms whatsoever, brokerage, dispatch, dispatch in transit, transport, importation and exportation of drugs contrary to the provisions of this Convention," as well as "[i]ntentional participation in, conspiracy to commit and attempts to commit, any of such offences, and preparatory acts and financial operations in connexion with the offences.”

Almost every treaty the US signs has a clause allowing the president to unilaterally withdraw after giving notice. Trump pulled us out of some nuclear weapon-related treaties for example. A required very long notice was the only thing keeping Trump from pulling us out of WHO when Biden rescinded his withdrawal notice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I don't believe this has happened, can you cite an example of "leftists" backing anti-choice candidates in primary elections against pro-choice opponents?

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant within the party.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rigel posted:

The supreme court decision was actually very technical and procedural, did not touch Chevron defense, and actually did not do much of anything to the administrative state.... which was a surprise. It was basically through this very specific set of circumstances that doesn't get repeated often, the EPA in this case can't regulate CO2 using the method they chose, but they apparently could try to regulate it in other ways.

No, that’s not what anyone in the field of environmental law is saying. While the holding was narrower than it could have been, the case effectively gives a tool to every Fed Soc district judge to strike down — or at least nationally enjoin for months — any regulations they don’t like. Major question is a completely subjective standard that gives plenty of leeway to judges, and is a huge change in doctrine.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Barely a mass extinction. Plus, after the worst one, we got dinosaurs. Who knows what cool poo poo will come after mammals?

Most scientists theorize is going to be cockroaches that are probably the next thing, or some sort of insect.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rigel posted:

Yeah, it basically said they overstepped their authority by implmenting cap and trade, but they *probably* could regulate the pollution of power plants in other ways, for instance just setting maximum emission levels.

From an environmental standpoint, cap and trade is pretty awful and a large portion of the carbon offsets used for it are areas that weren't threatened with destruction anyway. I think in California something like like 1/3 of the carbon credit providers over stated how much benefit they are providing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rigel posted:

Sure it does. It means whenever SCOTUS doesn’t like what an agency is doing they can say the agency is dealing with a major question and look for very specific authorization from Congress, then not find that and torch the action.

But it doesn’t matter it’s all Calvinball now anyway.

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1542520261953458177

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Cap and trade should always have been just cap and no trade.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rigel posted:

Almost every treaty the US signs has a clause allowing the president to unilaterally withdraw after giving notice. Trump pulled us out of some nuclear weapon-related treaties for example. A required very long notice was the only thing keeping Trump from pulling us out of WHO when Biden rescinded his withdrawal notice.

I see, thanks. This is usually a good thing, as every time it happens it undermines international trust in the United States and its word. Most US allies have much stronger enforcement of cannabis law and are not pursuing cannabis legalization the way the US has — see Sweden, for example. As the self-appointed guardian of the rules-based international order, my view is that the US can ill afford to withdraw from these treaties without further damaging its already tarnished image (ratings of US reliability are up since 2021, FWIW: https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2022/06/22/international-attitudes-toward-the-u-s-nato-and-russia-in-a-time-of-crisis/). Russia has called out the United States (having a hard time finding from all the Griner search results nowadays) and Canada before (https://www.newsweek.com/russia-condemns-canada-decision-legalize-weed-994690) and reminded it of its international commitments in this regard, so it would give further ammunition to their efforts to propagandize the rest of the world against the USA if legalization happened in the US.

The UNODC is still focused very much on prevention from the report linked above, and calls out legalization for increasing problems in the report linked above, while highlighting the role of capital in these developments:

quote:

- Cannabis legalization appears to have accelerated the upwards trends in reported daily use of the drug, with a pronounced increase in reported frequent use of high-potency products among young adults.
- In contrast, the prevalence of cannabis use among adolescents has not changed much.
- The proportion of people with psychiatric disorders and suicides associated with regular cannabis use has increased, as has the number of hospitalizations due to cannabis use disorders.
- Cannabis products have diversified, and average levels of THC in the various cannabis products have continued to increase, to levels up to 60 per cent in some markets.
- The growing influence and investments of large corporations, including those in the alcohol and tobacco sectors, is evident in the legal cannabis industry. Tax revenues from the legalized market have continued to rise. The illegal cannabis market is shrinking in some jurisdictions, but it continues to exist alongside legal markets.
- Legalization has led to a major reduction in the number and rates of arrest of people for cannabis-related offences. However, since possession of cannabis remains a criminal offence for minors, legalization has not led to a substantial reduction in youth arrest rates.

POLICY IMPLICATIONS
- Continue to monitor the impact of cannabis legalization, in particular on public health, the rule of law, public safety and the parallel illegal market, to better understand associated social and economic costs.
- Invest in research into the effects of cannabis use, especially the health consequences of the use of cannabis products with high THC content, including on youth, women and women during pregnancy.
- Address misperceptions of the risks of cannabis use through evidence-based prevention messages, targeting youth in particular.
- Prioritize public health and safety as commercial interests lobby to expand the market for legal cannabis. Draw from the lessons learned from the tobacco, alcohol and ultra-processed food industries, as well as the pharmaceutical industry and documented cases where the pursuit of commercial interests has targeted vulnerable or dis- advantaged groups, and competed with public health concerns.

Relevant to cannabis and the Supreme Court specifically, I would say the courts have signaled last week that you shouldn’t count on it to fix the problems we all know (and presumably hate):

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/u-s-supreme-court-denies-medical-marijuana-workers-compensation-cases/

quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to take up a pair of cases concerning workers’ compensation for medical marijuana.

This comes about a month after the Justice Department encouraged the high court to reject the cannabis cases, in part because it argued that broader marijuana policy choices were better left up to Congress or the executive branch.

The new decision—denying certiorari—means that fewer than four justices felt the legal challenges merited consideration by the high court. It doesn’t necessarily mean that a majority agrees with lower court rulings in the disputes, however.

These particular cases could have had wide-ranging implications related to federal supremacy. Two Minnesota residents raised their separate challenges seeking workers compensation for medical cannabis expenses after being hurt while working on the job.

In both instances, the state Supreme Court ruled that federal law prohibiting marijuana preempted state law, meaning the employers were not obligated to pay for the medicine.

But the plaintiffs and advocacy groups like Empire State NORML made the case that, because employers aren’t required to possess, manufacture or distribute cannabis in contravention of federal law, simply providing workers compensation for marijuana is not preempted by the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

After the cases were appealed to the Supreme Court, the justices notably sought input from the top Justice Department lawyer. The solicitor general’s office filed its amicus curiae response last month, an optional move, recommending that the court not take up the matter.

The filing acknowledged that several other state courts have weighed in on the issue, with differing opinions. But it said that none of those cases have “meaningfully considered all of the possible grounds for preemption,” so “no further review is warranted at this time.”

Plaintiffs then filed additional briefs laying out why they disagrees with DOJ and felt the cases deserved the attention of the nation’s highest court. Not enough justices, however, agreed, and so the cases are now dead.

The court doesn’t disclose how justices vote when it came to taking up or rejecting disputes, and it issued no formal written opinion or justification for Tuesday’s move. Rather, the cases are simply listed in the court’s orders of the day alongside several dozen other other petitions that were also rejected.

In one of cannabis cases, Susan Musta filed a petition with the Supreme Court in November after her state’s highest court determined that the CSA did, indeed, mean her employer did not need to provide reimbursement for medical marijuana after she was injured at her place of work, a dental center.

The state Supreme Court made the same judgement in another case where a man named Daniel Bierbach was injured at his job working for an all-terrain vehicle company and sought compensation for medical marijuana. Bierbach submitted his petition for a writ of certiorari months after Musta.

With the spread of the state-level legalization movement—and the growing number of legal cases where these federal-state policy conflicts are emerging such as with these workers compensation challenges—more stakeholders are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to do something to settle the debate.

Even one of the most conservative Supreme Court justices, Clarence Thomas, denounced the federal government’s inconsistent approach to marijuana policy last year, and he suggested that outright national prohibition may actually be unconstitutional.

At the time, the court declined to take up a case related to an Internal Revenue Service investigation into tax deductions claimed by a Colorado marijuana dispensary. But Thomas issued a statement that more broadly addressed the federal-state marijuana disconnect.

He specifically discussed a 2005 ruling in Gonzales v. Raich, wherein the court narrowly determined that the federal government could enforce prohibition against cannabis cultivation that took place wholly within California based on its authority to regulate interstate commerce.

In 2020, justices declined to hear a case challenging the constitutionality of federal marijuana prohibition.

Meanwhile, when it comes to medical cannabis and insurance coverage, New Mexico’s largest marijuana company and a coalition of patients have filed a class-action lawsuit against seven health insurers in the state, demanding that they cover cannabis costs for qualifying patients.

The lawsuit comes months after Ultra Health sent letters to the insurers and state agencies, requesting medical marijuana coverage for people suffering from mental and behavioral health conditions based on an interpretation of state statute.

Relatedly, the New York Senate approved a bill earlier this month that would require public health insurance programs to cover medical marijuana expenses and clarify that private insurers are allowed to do the same.

In other marijuana disputes that could one day reach the Supreme Court, several leading marijuana businesses and stakeholders are banding together to prepare to sue the federal government over what they believe to be unconstitutional policies impeding their operations, according to the CEO of one of the companies. And they’ve reportedly retained a prominent law firm led by an attorney who has been involved in numerous high-profile federal cases.

But the high court’s denial of the current workers’ compensation cases raises questions about whether enough justices have an appetite to confront the overarching federal-state cannabis conflict at this point.

The Justice Department is also set to soon respond in a case brought by Florida top agriculture official and Democratic gubernatorial candidate that concerns medical cannabis patients’ rights to purchase and own firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Are you serious

Who said anything about legitimacy? When you've got state governments arguing with the federal government over who won the election, legitimacy kind of goes out the window regardless. It's not as if a judicial intervention (like Bush v Gore) is much better.

I was responding to someone who thought there was no oversight other than the courts, and I pointed to the other potential oversight mechanisms that legally or semi-legally exist.

Yes, the GOP could have potentially used these same routes to force Trump's reelection (and it's noteworthy that even they didn't dare to do so), but again, if the state legislature and all three branches of the federal government are in agreement on something, I don't know where you expect further oversight to come from.