Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hel posted:

Are frozen or canned meals not food ? Is going out to restaurants not eating? Is a lunchbox? a doggy bag? Where do you draw the line?

Is a man not entitled to the tea in his can? No, says the man from Britain! You need a kettle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Half of what we call tea is not even Tea anyway apparently.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
This is a baffling hill you've chosen to die on...

Hel posted:

We already know americans don't have kettles that has never been disputed, the argument is because someone claimed that the reason they don't have kettles is because they don't drink tea, which can't be right because they do drink lots of tea. So now people are trying to claim that americans are so bad at drinking , that it doesn't count as tea anymore. Despite not being much different than how other countries do it.

...No one is arguing iced tea doesn't count as tea, we're saying you don't use an electric kettle to make the kind of tea most Americans drink and that, in the context of this conversation, the statement "most Americans don't drink tea regularly" is clearly talking about the kinds of tea you'd make with an electric kettle. You're focusing really heavily on the exact wording of the original statement while trying really hard to ignore the actual point it was trying to make...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Everyone I know who drinks tea only drinks iced tea

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hel posted:

We already know americans don't have kettles that has never been disputed, the argument is because someone claimed that the reason they don't have kettles is because they don't drink tea, which can't be right because they do drink lots of tea. So now people are trying to claim that americans are so bad at drinking , that it doesn't count as tea anymore. Despite not being much different than how other countries do it.
No the reason no kettle is because this is American tea.

None of these require boiling water.

Hel posted:

Must have been watching some other video then :

80% drinking regularly and 50 % daily is not what I'd call not all that much.
Compare to Sweden which had 25% daily drinkers at the latest numbers I could find and has kettles in pretty much every household.
Sweden consumes more tea per person than America. Not sure where you're getting the 25% from but evidently each Swede who drinks tea is drinking roughly 2.5 times their American counterpart, which would of course provide more justification for getting a dedicated instrument for making tea.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hrmmmm am I gonna trust Britain when it comes to norms around good food and beverages or (anywhere else in the world)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not only do we drink iced tea but there are different regional varieties, my mom has a hell of a time getting unsweetened iced tea in the south because everything there is sweet tea by default

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Real ones drink sun tea

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

KingKalamari posted:

This is a baffling hill you've chosen to die on...

...No one is arguing iced tea doesn't count as tea, we're saying you don't use an electric kettle to make the kind of tea most Americans drink and that, in the context of this conversation, the statement "most Americans don't drink tea regularly" is clearly talking about the kinds of tea you'd make with an electric kettle. You're focusing really heavily on the exact wording of the original statement while trying really hard to ignore the actual point it was trying to make...

Took the words right out of my mouth. When someone says "Americans don't drink tea" my first thought it is "of course" because to me they're clearly talking specifically about hot tea, not literally any kind of tea. If they were gonna do that they'd specify Iced Tea or whatever

Farg posted:

hrmmmm am I gonna trust Britain when it comes to norms around good food and beverages or (anywhere else in the world)

I will not trust the beans on a piece of bread as a snack people :colbert:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Which is still loving tea!

And I got the numbers from Göteborgs Posten which is a decently reliable newspaper, other sources say up to 50 %, but I don't know how trustworthy they are.

If someone posts a video claiming to provide the definitive answer, and has a single line answer that is wrong then maybe that wasn't a good video to post as an answer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hel posted:

Which is still loving tea!

But it's not the same as hot tea, which we just refer to as tea. We do not say tea to refer to what we're having at Jimbo's pool party, we specifically say Iced Tea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not that I ever caught them making it when I was younger and you could go over to other people's houses and hang out, generally they also had iced tea in the fridge and we used some kind of different machine that also wasn't a kettle to prepare enough for a pitcher. Used to make some at home ourselves. That or Kool Aid.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tea is pretty good, iced or not. Not a big fan of sweetened though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSlAuweAhsA
Danny decides to go a level beyond badads and goes straight to the source by playing terrible iphone games.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

KingKalamari posted:

Huh, that's weird. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Could be, idk, I've not been outside of BC in 23 years. So it could be a BC thing or could just be a weird anomaly for one or both of us.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Macaluso posted:

But it's not the same as hot tea, which we just refer to as tea. We do not say tea to refer to what we're having at Jimbo's pool party, we specifically say Iced Tea.

Yes, and we call black tea "Tea", doesn't mean that we don't count "green tea" as tea, because like Iced Tea it's still made from water and tea leaves.
And it's not like the sellers of iced tea make any difference.

Arizona Iced Tea FAQ posted:

Can I Drink Arizona Tea Hot?

Yes, many of our teas are delicious hot. Just pour into a cup and microwave.
https://drinkarizona.com/pages/faqs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

This is a reddit-rear end conversation, gently caress me

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Electric kettles are a great investment. You never know when you'll need some hot water and it only takes a couple of minutes. A+/100 recommend. Save cashmoney on your gas bill.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does Zack Snyder have a kettle

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Hel posted:

Yes, and we call black tea "Tea", doesn't mean that we don't count "green tea" as tea, because like Iced Tea it's still made from water and tea leaves.

just pour into a cup and microwave :)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alaois posted:

This is a reddit-rear end conversation, gently caress me

At least it's not Snyder, Star Wars or MCU chat #123213123213. And it's relevant to a video posted in the thread and not just twitter convos.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hel posted:

At least it's not Snyder, Star Wars or MCU chat #123213123213. And it's relevant to a video posted in the thread and not just twitter convos.

I think at this point I'd gladly take any of those over this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Kettle bells yeah

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't know who originally posted the Noah Caldwell Gervais video on Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring but it's buried under Kettle Discouse now so I'm going to have to repost it so I can make a comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRo4arGaSk

I'm not all the way through yet but I agree with him that the blood vial system is definitely the roughest part of Bloodborne for new players. I'm a bit shocked he spent dozens of hours farming for them after the start of the game though. Even if you don't abuse hacked chalices for blood echo farming, there's places by the midpoint of the game where you should be able to get a 10-20k in blood echoes to buy a good stock of them in a couple minutes. I'm even more baffled he'd be struggling to farm them on NG+ while he's in the depth 4 and depth 5 chalices. You can clear out one room in some of those in a couple minutes and get 40k-100k. Blood vials cap out at 720 blood echoes before you beat the game and 900 in NG+.

Also, the way he pronounces "Father Gascoigne" is completely nuts.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

I'm having such a culture shock now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Violet_Sky posted:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJw2XfQHt6w

Here's a long-rear end essay about the Boondocks and suburbia

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know who originally posted the Noah Caldwell Gervais video on Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring but it's buried under Kettle Discouse now so I'm going to have to repost it so I can make a comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRo4arGaSk

I'm not all the way through yet but I agree with him that the blood vial system is definitely the roughest part of Bloodborne for new players. I'm a bit shocked he spent dozens of hours farming for them after the start of the game though. Even if you don't abuse hacked chalices for blood echo farming, there's places by the midpoint of the game where you should be able to get a 10-20k in blood echoes to buy a good stock of them in a couple minutes. I'm even more baffled he'd be struggling to farm them on NG+ while he's in the depth 4 and depth 5 chalices. You can clear out one room in some of those in a couple minutes and get 40k-100k. Blood vials cap out at 720 blood echoes before you beat the game and 900 in NG+.

I haven't played through Bloodbourne or Sekiro myself, so I skipped over those segments of the video, but from what I've seen in playthrough video doesn't Bloodbourne also just kind of give out blood vials like candy? Coupled with the fact that you can only carry 20 of them on-hand at a time I never got the impression you'd need to hardcore farm them?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hel posted:

As someone who cant stand Snyderchat or Star Wars poo poo, no this is infinitely worse, this awful bit where you ignore literally everyone telling you that nobody is debating the fact that pre-made iced tea is still technically tea in order to dig in to a single sentence and argue that its wrong over a level of semantic horseshit that would get you kicked out of a high school debate club

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

You don't have an electric rice cooker?

I have a very limited amount of kitchen space. Also I make rice with additional ingredients (buttered onions, and peas) and never learned how to do that properly in a dedicated cooker.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KingKalamari posted:

I haven't played through Bloodbourne or Sekiro myself, so I skipped over those segments of the video, but from what I've seen in playthrough video doesn't Bloodbourne also just kind of give out blood vials like candy? Coupled with the fact that you can only carry 20 of them on-hand at a time I never got the impression you'd need to hardcore farm them?

In the early game when you're struggling to find your first boss fight, you actually can run into a negative feedback loop where blood vials and blood echoes are hard to come by and you spend faster than you accumulate them unless you establish a tedious, low-risk farming route.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tea,

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Hel posted:

Do you...think you're supposed to heat up bottled iced tea before serving it? Because that is the only thing that would make this conversation make sense at this point...

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KingKalamari posted:

Do you...think you're supposed to heat up bottled iced tea before serving it? Because that is the only thing that would make this conversation make sense at this point...

No, I'm saying that the sellers think it's a valid alternative way to drink it and doesn't transform it on some kind of tea- not tea spectrum. Because it's just normal tea, so of course you can drink it at whatever temperature you want.

DoctorWhat posted:

In the early game when you're struggling to find your first boss fight, you actually can run into a negative feedback loop where blood vials and blood echoes are hard to come by and you spend faster than you accumulate them unless you establish a tedious, low-risk farming route.

It's funny because the big thing FromSoft popularized was the Estus flask, so moving away from that in Bloodbourne really hosed people up.
I really want to see someone look at the DS games through a tabletop lens, because a lot of the stuff is throwbacks to them via the filter of dungeon crawlers like Wizardry, Sorcerian etc. And how a lot of stuff that people do get hung up on is also stuff that TTRPGs mostly moved away from decades ago, like having the same currency for both short term and long term bonuses.
Which can lead to people farming blood vials because spending your blood echoes on short term stuff feels bad when you could hoard it for permanent stat ups.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So let's derail this tea chat with some inevitable Snyder discourse, as Big Joel has posted a new video about the Fascy themes of the movies 300 and the people on Twitter who disagree with that take...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

Like DoctorWhat mentioned early on it’s possible to consume blood vials faster than you accumulate a back stock. You might blow through a lot of attempts on a boss fight, too. But it’s more of a hump you should be able to get over. Unless maybe it depends on whether or not you hit the realization that it’s way faster to get a mass of blood echoes and buy a ton of vials than it is to farm them as enemy drops?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Macaluso posted:

I will not trust the beans on a piece of bread as a snack people :colbert:

Beans on toast is a proper tea, don't trust anyone who says brits eat it as a snack.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Its Gascoigne like Paul Gascoigne yeah? How do the French pronounce it? Has From ever issued a clear pronunciation guide?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vagabong posted:

Beans on toast is a proper tea, don't trust anyone who says brits eat it as a snack.

Its Gascoigne like Paul Gascoigne yeah? How do the French pronounce it? Has From ever issued a clear pronunciation guide?

Gascoigne is actually an English name that denoted someone who was originally from Gascony

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gascony itself is just the medieval English name for Aquitaine isn't it or are they different things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They owned it. The Plantagenets