Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jimmeeee posted:

One of my all time favorite games. I'm surprised that FFG never re-released it with a generic theme, a la BSG->Unfathomable.

Medieval year 1000 AD apocalypse. War, plague, famine (or rather gluttony for Slaneesh) and Death becomes Witchcraft or something. Rats fit as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

I was thinking of the BI, not the POC. As pronounced, it sounds like "buy [person of colour]".

huh. Well, if it helps, I've never heard anyone talk about "POCs" outside of BIPOC and pronounce it "pock" here, so that association is less likely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think it’s more related to Eric Lang moving on from FFG to CMON back then. They could have republished it without him but it might have been seen as scummy or didn’t have his graces to do so. Same with Forbidden Stars now that those designers have moved on, though they’re not nearly as prolific.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have opinions on Vagrantsong? Is it something that you can only experience once ala Pandemic Legacy, or can you treat each session like an unrelated one off?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Someone selling a kinda box worn xopy of chaos and the Horned rat for 60usd locally here. Is it actually any good? Art seems hard to grok and sell to others as a game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Chaos is sooo good. Especially with the Horned Rat.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Caveat: it needs repeated plays to really shine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blamestorm posted:

Caveat: it needs repeated plays to really shine.

And a group of equally skilled players.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why is the rat horny?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Rats follow an r-selected evolutionary strategy so they need to have a lot of offspring in order to ensure their genetic legacy, which means loads of loving

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
board game thread: the optimal strategy is loads of loving

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

nordichammer posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Vagrantsong? Is it something that you can only experience once ala Pandemic Legacy, or can you treat each session like an unrelated one off?

You could definitely replay it and enjoy it - there's no legacy components as in Pandemic Legacy - but I'm not sure you'd necessarily want to by the time you've played through the whole campaign as I don't feel like there'd be a huge amount of variety on a replay. You could play it treating each session as a one-off, but the scenarios are connected by small town/development phases (like Gloomhaven's city events etc) and your characters do develop a little between scenarios, so I think it is best experienced as an ongoing campaign game. It's not something like Death May Die where you can start a completely fresh scenario with totally different characters each time.

I really like the game and think it's pretty solid, but it's clearly built with campaign play in mind. That said, we have had players drop in and out and as long as one or two people remain consistent this works fine to keep track of what's going on. I expect for us we'll play until we finish the campaign or feel like we've seen enough and then sell it on. If you were to play through the whole campaign there's a pretty decent number of hours there so I think you'd get your money's worth even if that was it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got a package in the mail today. It was a tarot card puzzle deck from PostCurious, the dev of The Emerald Flame.

I got the special version which came in a fancy wooden box.

The box has a very obvious secret compartment you need to figure out how to open as its own puzzle separate from the tarot card puzzles. Inside the secret compartment is some stuff telling you how to get access to the special collector's edition bonus puzzles.

Very happy with the purchase, gonna need to preorder Adrift when I get paid :)

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Chaos is sooo good. Especially with the Horned Rat.

This is interesting, I've only ever really heard the opposite about Horned Rat but never looked into it. I would love to hear more opinions about this as I have Chaos but not the expansion.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah Ive always heard that the horned rat screws with the balance

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Imo Horned Rat (the alternate power cards at least, not the faction itself) made the game more balanced but less fun and interesting. The base game factions feel very clearly defined and have a real flavour to them, but with experienced players we found that Khorne especially would have a really hard time winning. Horned Rat fixed this, but also made the factions feel less distinct from one another.

The Rat faction itself I never really liked and it definitely made the game worse if played with 5, but was OK if you used it instead of one of the other factions.

I ended up keeping the base game but selling the expansion, at least in part due to the absurd after market prices.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

FirstAidKite posted:

Is BIPOC pronounced by each letter (bee eye pea oh sea) or is it pronounced like a word (bye-pock, bip-ock)?

Never heard anyone say BIPOC phonetically (nor "latinx," while on the subject) IRL; always read it online. During actual conversation, I've always heard "person/people of color."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The worst thing about Chaos in the Old World is that it's guaranteed to summon two different kinds of people when you mention it: Elitists who say you should play "a real COIN game", and Warhammer 40k fans.

I'm not sure which is worse.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Kerro posted:

You could definitely replay it and enjoy it - there's no legacy components as in Pandemic Legacy - but I'm not sure you'd necessarily want to by the time you've played through the whole campaign as I don't feel like there'd be a huge amount of variety on a replay. You could play it treating each session as a one-off, but the scenarios are connected by small town/development phases (like Gloomhaven's city events etc) and your characters do develop a little between scenarios, so I think it is best experienced as an ongoing campaign game. It's not something like Death May Die where you can start a completely fresh scenario with totally different characters each time.

I really like the game and think it's pretty solid, but it's clearly built with campaign play in mind. That said, we have had players drop in and out and as long as one or two people remain consistent this works fine to keep track of what's going on. I expect for us we'll play until we finish the campaign or feel like we've seen enough and then sell it on. If you were to play through the whole campaign there's a pretty decent number of hours there so I think you'd get your money's worth even if that was it.

Sweet, thanks for the reply. Totally get feeling done with it after 20 plays

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Of the 624 games I have logged plays on BGG for, the number I have played >= 20 times is 4.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I didn't know CitOW was a fake COIN, I thought Root was the first fake COIN.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If this discussion wasn't all an excuse to get someone to say "counterfeit COINs" before, then it is now

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

FirstAidKite posted:

If this discussion wasn't all an excuse to get someone to say "counterfeit COINs" before, then it is now

The CO is already short for counter, so you can just say COfeitIN

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Scarlet Keys is the latest expansion for the Arkham Horror LCG. The new campaign features a non-linear design and it has a world map that gives off some serious Eldritch Horror vibes, but there aren't many details about how it works yet.

I've pulled out all of the card images and dumped them into this post in the LCG thread. If you're a fan of the Arkham Horror Files universe you may be interested to know that there are two new characters in this expansion: Amina Zidane, an Algerian telephone operator and Muslim, and Kymani Jones, a non-binary Jamaican thief and "Security Consultant."

These expansions usually arrive around three months after the official announcement article appears (which happened earlier today) but with how the world is these days, well, you know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Splotter just announced that they've got the first proof copy of Horseless Carriage. They expect it to be a Spiel release.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

"a real COIN game"

a what

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They only say that because they let someone else play Khorne and didn't check them hard enough so they ran roughshod over the whole board.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hey now, don’t forget the evangelical types that cry about the game being demonic to their hundreds of thousands of YouTube fans.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kalko posted:

The Scarlet Keys is the latest expansion for the Arkham Horror LCG. The new campaign features a non-linear design and it has a world map that gives off some serious Eldritch Horror vibes, but there aren't many details about how it works yet.

I've pulled out all of the card images and dumped them into this post in the LCG thread. If you're a fan of the Arkham Horror Files universe you may be interested to know that there are two new characters in this expansion: Amina Zidane, an Algerian telephone operator and Muslim, and Kymani Jones, a non-binary Jamaican thief and "Security Consultant."

These expansions usually arrive around three months after the official announcement article appears (which happened earlier today) but with how the world is these days, well, you know.

Carson looks just....really underpowered as an investigator. Charlie "Hook Music Video Citizen" Kane, on the other hand, has had my group arguing about who gets to play him first since he leaked weeks ago.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

girl dick energy posted:

The worst thing about Chaos in the Old World is that it's guaranteed to summon two different kinds of people when you mention it: Elitists who say you should play "a real COIN game", and Warhammer 40k fans.

I'm not sure which is worse.

There's this 40k fan who has seen my friends and I play forbidden stars at the LGS, and I keep dodging them cuz otherwise they'll keep talking on and on about the lore

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

COIN games are a long running and pretty popular series of wargames about various historical COunter-INsurgent conflicts. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Ancient Gaul... any time a little guy has stood up to a big guy, there's a GMT game about it. They're literally all done by an ex-CIA guy, iirc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

More than that, he was a high level intelligence analyst involved in briefing the presidents cabinet daily during the war on terror. If that gives you the creeps that’s probably the correct response given some of the politics put forth in Labyrinth.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

COIN games are a long running and pretty popular series of wargames about various historical COunter-INsurgent conflicts. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Ancient Gaul... any time a little guy has stood up to a big guy, there's a GMT game about it. They're literally all done by an ex-CIA guy, iirc.

They're not all designed by Volko, though he was the one that started the series.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Excited to see how The Expanse 2: Martian Boogaloo will turn out but I haven't heard a thing about it in a while. They're making more COIN than I can keep track of. The 2P Robin Hood one looks really fun.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I didn't know CitOW was a fake COIN, I thought Root was the first fake COIN.

CitOW predates COIN by a few years.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

CitOW predates COIN by a few years.

That's why I'm surprised it's a fake COIN!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's why I'm surprised it's a fake COIN!

More like COIN is a boring Warhammer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
playing a COIN game pairs really nicely with reading the us counter insurgency manual for learning about how the us thinks about asymmetric warfare

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Mayveena posted:

I FOMO'd carefully acquired Outer Rim and its expansion, Unfinished Business. Please tell me this is a good game :).

It's been over a week where are the impressions?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

More than that, he was a high level intelligence analyst involved in briefing the presidents cabinet daily during the war on terror. If that gives you the creeps that’s probably the correct response given some of the politics put forth in Labyrinth.

I think about this sometimes. This kind of question is inherent in certain politically theme board games. For instance:

• In Fire in the Lake my understanding is that it contains the USA as one of the forces that could possibly win. Obviously if that person is a player, that player needs to be able to win, just due to the way board games generally work. Does having it as a possibility count as historical revisionism and playing into completely impossible ideas peddled by warmongers?
  • In 1960, one player plays as Nixon, a huge racist and bastard. Is it right to have a game where he could become president and, I dunno, the Civil Rights act never happens?
  • In Tomorrow the game is about reducing human population in a Malthusian misunderstanding of overpopulation. Check out this goon and game designer's talk on this. Fun fact: I had somehow never heard of Thomas Malthus before that post, or if I had, I had forgotten. If you want more, this is an exceptionally excellent video about that time in the scientific world.
(I have not personally played any of these games. 1960 is the the type of game that really, really sounds appealing to me but I don't know who I'd play it against, especially now.)

Are any of these topics, ideas, or structures morally grey to include in board games? I don't know, and as a person who has discussed ethics a shitload in his day, I don't really imagine we'll get far talking about it in this thread. But it is something I think about a lot. Is it simply attempting to engage in a topic with intellectual honesty, or is it harmful, potentially a symptom of some deep poor beliefs or even active misinformation?

This is why I imagine that Root is the most famous and popular 'COIN' game ever: the complete fiction of it and the animals divorce it from us and make it appealing to normal folk.

There is a thread about games and politics that I might crosspost this too if you are dissuaded.