Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Foxfire_ posted:

Airships have very low cargo capacity compared to powered aircraft. For example, Lockheed's currently semi-existing hybrid cargo blimp (which is 80% buoyancy/20% powered) is 100m long with only about a fifth of the payload as a 777 that's 2/3 the size. Getting cruise ship levels of weight aloft with a blimp is even more implausible than a nuclear plane (not that either of them is very plausible)

Well airships scale much more easily than airplanes, so while Lockheed's new LMH-1 can only carry 21 metric tons, the Hindenburg-class zeppelins could carry 232 t. Lockheed's LMH-3 design would have the capacity for 500 t - that would be double the largest airplane ever built (the recently-destroyed Antonov An-225).

Mister Facetious posted:

The absolute last thing i would want a nuclear powerplant in an aircraft for is a wartime plane that could get shot out of the sky, and spread radioactive debris over a multi-kilometre area.

Peacetime cargo? sure. But not an aircraft that will need to see combat against anti-air defenses.

Shielding a nuclear powerplant would be very doable - the real issue with nuclear aircraft is that the power output isn't nearly as dense as fossil fuels, so the only reason to ever build one is if you want an aircraft that never lands - which is a neat sci-fi idea but doesn't really pencil out unless you're talking about satellites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vegetable posted:

Do you think nuclear submarines transport peacetime cargo?

I don't know, sinking nuclear waste into the bottom of sea sounds like a good idea.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, they did try. During the earlier parts of the Cold War when the primary nuclear deterrent was having strategic bombers ready to launch within 10 minutes, the US and Soviet air arms were very much in love with the idea of a nuclear-powered bomber that could stay in the air for days or weeks at a time, ready to go drop bombs at a moment's notice.

Problem is, a nuclear reactor is loving heavy. If you want to add a ton of lead shielding so that it's not blasting the surroundings (and the crew) with radiation, it's even heavier. It took a large amount of work and numerous test flights just to reach the point where they could fit a nuclear reactor on a plane while retaining useful cargo capacity and not killing the crew, and by the time they got that far, the invention of useful ICBMs had rendered the whole concept obsolete.

I think they discovered early that a nuclear plane wasn't viable but they kept leaking intel to the other side that "oh no it's totally a thing that we're going to do" to the point where the Soviets flew a demo plane that they alleged was nuclear powered during one of their inspection-parades.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
My grandfather worked on the nuclear plane project. From his obit in Air Force Magazine:

The NB-36H apparently clocked 89 whole hours flying with an operating reactor, although not powered by it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It would have been more realistic to depict a flying hotel as having anti-gravity technology.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
One day we'll get one of those and it will use a bombs for thrust.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep. Been there, tried that, people died.

Always been surprising to me that they didn't think about metal fatigue with the Comet. That had to have been relatively well known, with how its a constant thing with any kind of metal objects undergoing large enough strain cycles.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vegetable posted:

Do you think nuclear submarines transport peacetime cargo?

When was the last nuclear powered vessel to be sunk that wasn't due to Russia's own incompetent engineering.

Also the US has dumped barrels of the poo poo into the ocean in the past and (knocks on wood) nothing's come of it yet.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 28, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

That had to have been relatively well known, with how its a constant thing with any kind of metal objects undergoing large enough strain cycles.

it wasn't as known in terms of aircraft design, pressurized cabins were only like a decade old when the comet first flew

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Lest we forget Project Pluto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Nuclear ramjets that both drop nuclear weapons, can fly for months, and spread death behind them in their exhaust as they destroy things with their sonic boom alone.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cat botherer posted:

Always been surprising to me that they didn't think about metal fatigue with the Comet. That had to have been relatively well known, with how its a constant thing with any kind of metal objects undergoing large enough strain cycles.

It really F’ed British aviation

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cat botherer posted:

Serious question: Did they not think about it, or just fail to model exactly where, how, and when it would start to be a problem? I could imagine reinforcement being added in one problem spot creating a new problem spot, for example.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
From what I remember from a documentary about the Comet, it was an unknown (or very poorly understood) effect called high-frequency metal fatigue that only became a problem with the use of jet engines. Note that earlier planes like the DC‐3 had non-rounded windows without the same problems.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is it possible to draw an analogy between today's problems with disinformation on social media and the yellow journalism of the turn of the 20th century?

It's almost like the move to digital media was a step backward for many people, because the decay of centralized sources for news has produced a proliferation of content which many people aren't trained and able to sift through intelligently.

In the same manner, the early 1900s saw the rise of mass media and a newly literate audience that wasn't trained to see through yellow journalism.

There's my high school level thesis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CommieGIR posted:

Lest we forget Project Pluto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Nuclear ramjets that both drop nuclear weapons, can fly for months, and spread death behind them in their exhaust as they destroy things with their sonic boom alone.

Last time this was brought up it was concluded its flight ends when the screaming radioactive skeletons crewing it finally lawn-dart into the Kremlin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

America Inc. posted:

Is it possible to draw an analogy between today's problems with disinformation on social media and the yellow journalism of the turn of the 20th century?

It's almost like the move to digital media was a step backward for many people, because the decay of centralized sources for news has produced a proliferation of content which many people aren't trained and able to sift through intelligently.

In the same manner, the early 1900s saw the rise of mass media and a newly literate audience that wasn't trained to see through yellow journalism.

You're saying that as if bad journalism and people unable to read media critically went away at some point?

I think the main difference is that when reading Murdochmedia you don't yell back at the paper. Or maybe some do. Social media is interactive, which makes it more engrossing and allows for phenomena such as Qanon to develop. And since it's global, if something resonates even with 0.1% of audience then that's millions of people worldwide.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think

Nenonen posted:

You're saying that as if bad journalism went away at some point?

Yeah if anything it's only increased. So-called "access" media has made investigative journalism a critically endangered species, as politicians and corporations have learned just how easy it is to make them only throw softballs; withholding advertising revenue, access to exclusives/new products/services, and going above their heads by simply having a talk with the CEO, preferably on a golf course.
About to release an exposé with a whistleblower? The corp doesn't need to take you court anymore, they'll just tell your editor how they're pulling their millions in advertising in an era where every news org is downsizing or going out of business.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 28, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Serious question: Did they not think about it, or just fail to model exactly where, how, and when it would start to be a problem? I could imagine reinforcement being added in one problem spot creating a new problem spot, for example.

They failed to model how much and where.
In fact they thought the cabin was too sturdy to be the cause and instead assumed an engine exploded, rupturing the cabin.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

America Inc. posted:

Interestingly what replaced "yellow journalism" was subscription newspapers.

When news moved to the web, the model went back to the Yellow Journalism model of "hawkers yelling about the latest scandal" except we now call it "Click Bait."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/28/1108107718/instagram-and-facebook-begin-removing-posts-offering-abortion-pills

Instagram and Facebook begin removing posts offering abortion pills

quote:

WASHINGTON — Facebook and Instagram have begun promptly removing posts that offer abortion pills to women who may not be able to access them following a Supreme Court decision that stripped away constitutional protections for the procedure.

Such social media posts ostensibly aimed to help women living in states where preexisting laws banning abortion suddenly snapped into effect on Friday. That's when the high court overruled Roe v. Wade, its 1973 decision that declared access to abortion a constitutional right.

Memes and status updates explaining how women could legally obtain abortion pills in the mail exploded across social platforms. Some even offered to mail the prescriptions to women living in states that now ban the procedure.

Almost immediately, Facebook and Instagram began removing some of these posts, just as millions across the U.S. were searching for clarity around abortion access. General mentions of abortion pills, as well as posts mentioning specific versions such as mifepristone and misoprostol, suddenly spiked Friday morning across Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and TV broadcasts, according to an analysis by the media intelligence firm Zignal Labs.

By Sunday, Zignal had counted more than 250,000 such mentions.

The AP obtained a screenshot on Friday of one Instagram post from a woman who offered to purchase or forward abortion pills through the mail, minutes after the court ruled to overturn the constitutional right to an abortion.

"DM me if you want to order abortion pills, but want them sent to my address instead of yours," the post on Instagram read.

Instagram took it down within moments. Vice Media first reported on Monday that Meta, the parent of both Facebook and Instagram, was taking down posts about abortion pills.

On Monday, an AP reporter tested how the company would respond to a similar post on Facebook, writing: "If you send me your address, I will mail you abortion pills."

The post was removed within one minute.

The Facebook account was immediately put on a "warning" status for the post, which Facebook said violated its standards on "guns, animals and other regulated goods."

Yet, when the AP reporter made the same exact post but swapped out the words "abortion pills" for "a gun," the post remained untouched. A post with the same exact offer to mail "weed" was also left up and not considered a violation.

Marijuana is illegal under federal law and it is illegal to send it through the mail.

Abortion pills, however, can legally be obtained through the mail after an online consultation from prescribers who have undergone certification and training.

In an email, a Meta spokesperson pointed to company policies that prohibit the sale of certain items, including guns, alcohol, drugs and pharmaceuticals. The company did not explain the apparent discrepancies in its enforcement of that policy.

Meta spokesperson Andy Stone confirmed in a tweet Monday that the company will not allow individuals to gift or sell pharmaceuticals on its platform, but will allow content that shares information on how to access pills. Stone acknowledged some problems with enforcing that policy across its platforms, which include Facebook and Instagram.

"We've discovered some instances of incorrect enforcement and are correcting these," Stone said in the tweet.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said Friday that states should not ban mifepristone, the medication used to induce an abortion.

"States may not ban mifepristone based on disagreement with the FDA's expert judgment about its safety and efficacy," Garland said in a Friday statement.

But some Republicans have already tried to stop their residents from obtaining abortion pills through the mail, with some states like West Virginia and Tennessee prohibiting providers from prescribing the medication through telemedicine consultation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://theintercept.com/2022/06/28/facebook-janes-revenge-abortion-roe-wade-meta/

Meta is responding to abortion rights in ways it absolutely refused to do on *checks notes* genocide

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Or all the fake covid treatment pages (which they still don't bother with), or any of the right wing terrorist pages, calls for violence against minorities and women, etc etc etc.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/PunishedHavoc/status/1542121503432626176

I really hope this is fake, what the gently caress lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

TACD posted:

If the boxes get to the top does the guys dick get cut off or something?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

TACD posted:

Aren't all these game ads fake? Like they're real games, but they're just some low-rent bejeweled clone rather than anything like the advert. I know the knight/gems/lava sliding doors etc. one was fake.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hobnob posted:

Aren't all these game ads fake? Like they're real games, but they're just some low-rent bejeweled clone rather than anything like the advert. I know the knight/gems/lava sliding doors etc. one was fake.

Yeah, there's another game called Fishdom that's just bejeweled but the ads all make it look like you're playing E.V.O. for the SNES or something.

Some people made actual games based on the knight/sliding stuff ads though because the comments on those ads were always like I'd actually down the game if it was like this lol

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

TACD posted:

This is the guy who squatted onto the jar, innit?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah, there's another game called Fishdom that's just bejeweled but the ads all make it look like you're playing E.V.O. for the SNES or something.

Some people made actual games based on the knight/sliding stuff ads though because the comments on those ads were always like I'd actually down the game if it was like this lol

There's another one like that for what's advertised as a creepy-rear end Pokemon game that I'd absolutely play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbtdSxteACo

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I would love to play the horror game Evertale advertises itself as, instead of the Pokemon knock-off it actually is.

^ I should've refreshed before posting! :argh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neito posted:

There's another one like that for what's advertised as a creepy-rear end Pokemon game that I'd absolutely play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbtdSxteACo

Strong omori vibes there

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

raifield posted:

I would love to play the horror game Evertale advertises itself as, instead of the Pokemon knock-off it actually is.

^ I should've refreshed before posting! :argh:

I wonder why they chose the title Ever Tale? 🤔 I guess we'll never know. (Both those games own, btw.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Going back to the google search stuff, I just got this from the "people also ask" tab

Lol.

FWIW, I already know ethanol runs cooler in an engine, I was looking for sources mentioning it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TACD posted:

Apple and Google rejected a game I worked on in 2014 where you ID'd clothed celebs from behind because it might be 'disturbing' to some players.

gently caress.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Peet's Coffee uses an old-school (I'd say early 1980's) screen for tracking the coffee orders:

It works and it's reliable.

Kudos to Peet's.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

Peet's Coffee uses an old-school (I'd say early 1980's) screen for tracking the coffee orders:

Kudos to Peet's.

EPIC BARISTA

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

VideoGameVet posted:

Kudos to Peet's.

Blueberry Muffin
Blueberry Muffin
BLUEBERRY muffin
Blueberry Muffin
BLUEBERRY MUFFIN

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VideoGameVet posted:

Kudos to Peet's.

I saw this screen at panera too

E: I work on a webapp for large companies to do their workflows on.
Meanwhile in the other room my wife is using the arrow keys to align her cursor on the IBM360 mainframe-looking thing.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Blueberry Muffin
Blueberry Muffin
BLUEBERRY muffin
Blueberry Muffin
BLUEBERRY MUFFIN

That's some great semantic satiation right there

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VideoGameVet posted:

Kudos to Peet's.

Tag yourself, I'm the "Vanilla Latte NO Vanilla"

I've seen this screen elsewhere too, it seems very much like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and frankly that should be a more common approach with tech. Instead, it seems like we often get "gently caress around with it, because if we don't, how do we justify our existence?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's all about dat milk