Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Now that's a snipe :synpa:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

obi_ant posted:

This is "kinda" for kitchen stuff? But I meal prep into an Anchor 4-cup container. I've been unable to find a lunch bag for it that will hold 2 of them and maybe a little more that isn't obnoxiously large. Do you guys have suggestions?

round or square container? insulated or non-insulated lunch bag?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My parents are getting an induction stove that's incompatible with the All-Clad cookware they've had for decades, so they're giving it to me. Holy poo poo!

I thought I might freshen it up a bit first as some of it is blemished from everyday use: brown spots, discoloration, etc. There are a million different guides online to doing this, any suggestions on the best approach?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Barkeeper's Friend, just make sure it works on the material.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
barkeepers will do a great job on it.

use the powdered version, dont breathe it in when applying and disposable gloves are a good idea too

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

N-thing Barkeeper's Friend, that stuff is magic.

But also double check the pans on the new stove. Many clad pans have enough stainless steel in them to work on induction eyes (and there are pads you can get to make any pan work).

On the other hand, sometimes imperfections in a clad pan will make a metal screech when it's used on induction, so double check that as well!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

They did the magnet test and it didn't work so they already bought all new pans. :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

This is "kinda" for kitchen stuff? But I meal prep into an Anchor 4-cup container. I've been unable to find a lunch bag for it that will hold 2 of them and maybe a little more that isn't obnoxiously large. Do you guys have suggestions?

Maybe a 6 pack cooler? Check internal measurements

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

I end up volunteering to cook for friends and groups at parties, and I've been shopping around for a better cook surface than park grills and my 2-3 burner camping stoves. I've been considering one of those large blackstone flattop griddles, but I need it to be relatively easy (read: collapsable) to transport in a van or truck. Anything I should watch out for or look at?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do you and your friends not own stoves? We're missing some important context here.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The implication is that parties happen outdoors at parks

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Still not enough context. I've made briskets and ribs on campfires. Is the issue that they doesn't have the temperature control they need, there's not enough work surface? There are compromises when you have to cook outside a kitchen that buying a shitload of equipment won't fix.

My immediate reaction without knowing the exact situation is to prep as much as possible at home and only heat things up/cook if you have to. So like make a bunch of food at home, put them in a catering tray, and heat them up on location. What you cook is obviously going to depend on what reheats like poo poo or doesn't need a ton of space to make on site. OP already has a camping stove so I'm assuming they know what kind of BTU output they're looking for. Having a camping stove is already going to be a step up over a park grill. It strikes me as entering a zone of diminishing return to move to a flat top from there.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 30, 2022

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

This would be for cooking in parks and camping events with no/inadequate kitchens for the number of people (30-100). The issue I've run into is the size of available cooking surface for the amount of food I need to put out in a timely fashion, even with something as simple as burgers and hotdogs. A lid would be nice too, but not a dealbreaker.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
anybody got strong feelings on potato mashers? just go buy whatever Oxo sells?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

my strong feeling is to get a ricer or food mill instead of a masher if you're going to be using it often enough to care (although that link has masher recommendations too)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

hypnophant posted:

my strong feeling is to get a ricer or food mill instead of a masher if you're going to be using it often enough to care (although that link has masher recommendations too)

If you have room for the ricer or mill, that's your best bet for mashed potatoes. If you're limited on space and want to use it for other things, a potato masher is still great - I used to use mine (lost in a move) when making bulk batches of tomato sauce. I could get whole canned tomatoes and then mash them to the consistency I wanted, rather than getting diced or crushed tomatoes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oxo mill sorta sucks tho

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oxo mill sorta sucks tho

I dunno about that mill specifically, I got a winco mill from webrestaurantstore or one of their competitors and it's basic but solid. I did get the chef'n ricer for my mom a few christmases ago and it is very well built and easy to use - the gear really makes it easier than other ricers

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

Yes. They’re all pieces of poo poo except for this one.

ZYLISS Potato Masher, Stainless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VE3BAPG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I hate the kind that have a short double handle like Oxo's, where your knuckles are in the mash and you're burning your hand on the sides of the pot. Gotta have a long handle, and as a bonus you can easily keep it in your utensil pot. I also strongly prefer the kind that has holes through a metal plate, rather than just a wiggly wire. Tl;dr that Zyliss one looks good to me

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brute Squad posted:

This would be for cooking in parks and camping events with no/inadequate kitchens for the number of people (30-100). The issue I've run into is the size of available cooking surface for the amount of food I need to put out in a timely fashion, even with something as simple as burgers and hotdogs. A lid would be nice too, but not a dealbreaker.

Dear Lord okay. That's bigger than the party I was thinking in my head (10-20 people). How much set up and break down are you comfortable with? Any solution to cater to that many people will be time consuming. Do you do this for free? At cost? For profit? The more you spend the more conveniences you can have. At a capacity for 100 people I'd almost recommend something you trailer in if you do this regularly. That's going to have the least amount of set up work. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Things are going to get expensive if you insist on cooking on location. If I were in your shoes I'd just smoke a bunch of meat at home and reheat it there. I can smoke around 50 pounds of food in a single go which will feed 100 people and be reheated in an hour on any heat source. You could fit it all in a car too.

I'll wait for budget before making recommendations because like I said I can smoke on an open camp fire so my flexibility is $ to $$$$$.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use a mixer to mash boiled potatoes, am I overworking it or something? Just find it's easier.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gracias on all counts.

generally I like the wiggly wire ones, but that one might have sold me on the other design.

I hadn't even considered a food mill, and I suppose there's a lot I could do with that...

e: I've used an immersion blender and if I'm not careful the texture ends up insipid. I hadn't even thought about a mixer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

VelociBacon posted:

I use a mixer to mash boiled potatoes, am I overworking it or something? Just find it's easier.
Those are whipped potatoes. It's definitely possible to overwork them and make them gluey, but even if you don't, a lot of people have strong preferences.

(My ideal: red potatoes, skin-on, chunky mash, with lots of butter, only a smidge of milk, roasted garlic, and scallions or parsley or thyme)

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Dear Lord okay. That's bigger than the party I was thinking in my head (10-20 people). How much set up and break down are you comfortable with? Any solution to cater to that many people will be time consuming. Do you do this for free? At cost? For profit? The more you spend the more conveniences you can have. At a capacity for 100 people I'd almost recommend something you trailer in if you do this regularly. That's going to have the least amount of set up work. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Things are going to get expensive if you insist on cooking on location. If I were in your shoes I'd just smoke a bunch of meat at home and reheat it there. I can smoke around 50 pounds of food in a single go which will feed 100 people and be reheated in an hour on any heat source. You could fit it all in a car too.

I'll wait for budget before making recommendations because like I said I can smoke on an open camp fire so my flexibility is $ to $$$$$.

You're way overthinking my use cases and needs. I'm looking for that heat source that could reheat that 50lbs of smoked meat or be used to cook large amounts of bacon, or hot dogs, or burgers, or ground beef or whatever else you may need to cook on a grill or griddle. Trailer is not an option because I don't have a car to haul one nor the skills in hauling one. Something that I can drop the legs and 2-person lift into the back of a van or truck is my portability requirements. $500ish is my budget. 100 is also my theoretical maximum, but 30-50 would be my average.

I'm tired of spending 2 hours small batching burgers on my stoves or an hour building a good bed of coals in one of those super huge campground grills. I want to bust out 100 grilled cheeses in 4 batches of 25 instead of 10 batches of 10. Then drop them into a doubled motel pan over some sterno.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So like a griddle?

https://www.campchef.com/flat-top-g...7xoCts8QAvD_BwE

There’s a smaller one (the 600) which is $600

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like Pit Boss is your solution then. $500 is not a ton of money for the capacity you want. But it sounds like a lid is the easiest compromise to make.

https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/griddles/pit-boss-standard-5-burner-griddle

Bespoke griddle lids are a thing for where you need them.

ZBXFCSH Griddle Accessories 12 Inch Round Stainless Steel Basting Griddle Cover - Cheese Melting Dome and Steaming Cover, Best for Use in Flat Top Griddle Grill Cooking Indoor or Outdoor https://a.co/d/1tOYVT9

You also give up some portability. When you get into the $1000-1500 range you get commercial table top units which obviously don't come with a cart attached to them. They're also stainless steel and a shitload more flame control.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 30, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Empty Sandwich posted:

gracias on all counts.

generally I like the wiggly wire ones, but that one might have sold me on the other design.

I hadn't even considered a food mill, and I suppose there's a lot I could do with that...

e: I've used an immersion blender and if I'm not careful the texture ends up insipid. I hadn't even thought about a mixer.

I’ve had several kinds and I like the wiggly wire ones best. They’re easier to use on larger potato chunks and i think they work better for other tasks, like separating ground beef or sausage, or crushing tomatoes. Also they’re usually much cheaper.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Sounds like Pit Boss is your solution then. $500 is not a ton of money for the capacity you want. But it sounds like a lid is the easiest compromise to make.

https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/griddles/pit-boss-standard-5-burner-griddle

Bespoke griddle lids are a thing for where you need them.

ZBXFCSH Griddle Accessories 12 Inch Round Stainless Steel Basting Griddle Cover - Cheese Melting Dome and Steaming Cover, Best for Use in Flat Top Griddle Grill Cooking Indoor or Outdoor https://a.co/d/1tOYVT9

You also give up some portability. When you get into the $1000-1500 range you get commercial table top units which obviously don't come with a cart attached to them. They're also stainless steel and a shitload more flame control.

Pit Boss & Blackstone were the two brands I was looking at. I've used a blackstone griddle a few times and they were easy to work with, but none of their models I've been able to find in stores have legs that collapse. Wanted to check and see if anyone had any first-hand experience with what I was looking for. Thank you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I would rather mash potatoes with my bare hands than use a wiggly wire.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use an empty beer bottle to mash potatoes.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I belittle and berate my potatoes until they mash themselves in an effort to please me.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I have a wiggly wire from my grandmother's kitchen and nostalgia keeps me blind to it's faults.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Thankfully it has no faults

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I have a wiggly wire from my grandmother's kitchen and nostalgia keeps me blind to it's faults.

This was my great grammys I've used it but don't regularly because its too short for the 5 pounds of mashed potatoes I make and consume daily.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess i never actually mentioned it but I bought one of the refurbished kitchenaid meat grinder attachments a month ago. It was in perfect condition but they for some reason sent me two of the smaller grinder plates so I had to have them send me the bigger one, which was very easy (I just chatted them and was like "you sent me two of the smaller grinder plates, can you send me the bigger one" and they were like "ok, done") but it was slightly annoying to wait for it to arrive.

However, I finally got to try it and it's nice and I'm looking forward to lots more meat grinding.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Another vote for the " plate with holes" masher. I use this:

OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Smooth Potato Masher https://a.co/d/avk87KE

I actually use it more for mashing bananas and avocados but it's worked great for the handful of times I've used it on potatoes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone have a universal pot/pan lid they like? I have a couple of ~12" frying pans that I could use a lid for and all the lids I have almost but don't quite fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There seem to be a million different types of vitamix blender and my eyes are glazing over trying to tell them apart. Are there any stinkers or are they all largely the same outside of bells and whistles?