Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
she's called raiden shogun iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

So Venti has 2 names.

Zhongli has 3 names.

Raiden has 1, 2, 3.... 4 names?

Baal/Beelzebul, Ei, Raiden Shogun, Magatsu Mitake Narukami no Mikoto
Not counting Makoto

Looking forward to seeing if these trends continue. When we get to courtroom drama land they could steal a very fun gag from Ace Attorney − Spirit of Justice introducing the Hydro Archon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the only character who uses the word baal is zhongli.

Also I realize why I thought zhongli was two words, it fits the EN dub pronunciation better.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Xun posted:

The real answer is that it really depends on how you write the english version of his name since in chinese Zhong is one word and Li is another. Zhongli follows what I believe are the standard romanization rules, but splitting it is also something I can see people doing because it's two words when you say it :shrug:

It's two characters but 钟离 is historically a surname, not a surname + given name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhongli.
Two-character surnames are rare in modern times but are still around (Ouyang being the most common I think).
So Zhongli as one word seems more natural to me. That said Genshin china isn't actual china and Zhongli isn't even the guy's real name so you'd have to ask the fictional character to know for sure.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like he also had a few people that liked calling him John Lee as a joke or something like that

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I actually would have sworn it was written out Zhong Li in game this whole time. That's crazy.

:same:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Leaks are a blessing and a curse.

I'm super excited for Sumeru but we still have *at minimum* like 4 months before it arrives.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm super excited for Sumeru but we still have *at minimum* like 4 months before it arrives.
It's 2 months! Only one 2.X patch left.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
?

Raidens only got 2 names? Beelzebul and Raiden Ei. She has a bunch of titles, and the puppet also has a couple titles, but they're not her name.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

3.0 is the patch after 2.8, so we actually don't have a huge amount of time to go. I think it's like 2 months?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Redmark posted:

It's two characters but 钟离 is historically a surname, not a surname + given name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhongli.
Two-character surnames are rare in modern times but are still around (Ouyang being the most common I think).
So Zhongli as one word seems more natural to me. That said Genshin china isn't actual china and Zhongli isn't even the guy's real name so you'd have to ask the fictional character to know for sure.

The game makes it fairly clear that Zhongli is Morax's (assumed) human form surname, not surname+given name. For characters that use their full names, there's consistently a space between the surname and given name (e.g. Hu Tao, Yun Jin). Although for most Liyue characters with two-character names with no space, the name used is the given name, not the surname.

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhongli_Quan

quote:

In this Chinese name, the family name is Zhongli.

Zhongli Quan, courtesy name Jidao, is a Chinese mythological figure and one of the Eight Immortals in the Taoist pantheon. He is also known as Han Zhongli because he was said to have been born in the Han dynasty. In legend, he wields a large fan which can resurrect the dead and transform stones into silver or gold.
Zhongli is probably a reference to this xian.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh poo poo, no 2.9 then? That's exciting news then! I'm ready for jungles, deserts, and throwing grass at enemies.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh poo poo, no 2.9 then? That's exciting news then! I'm ready for jungles, deserts, and throwing grass at enemies.

Yeah, last year we actually skipped from 1.6 directly to 2.0 lol

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's more or less certain that 2.8 is Kazuha/Klee + Yomiya rerun with the Golden Apple Archipelago coming back and then it's straight on to 3.0 and Sumeru.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I think the reason all these gacha arts leaked is because they're going to be posting them on twitter soon since the patch should be soon as well

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

poo poo I need to hurry up and actually catch up with the main story and not gently caress around with sidequests.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Hey, I just finished Inazuma, so I can clear up Raiden's names for you.

Baal/Makoto: The original electro archon. Twin to Ei. People assumed they were the same person, but the electro archon 500 years ago was actually both twins. Super dead now.

Beelzebub/Ei: The current electro archon. Twin to Makoto. This is the version you meet in the plane of Euthymia. This is also who you interact with mostly in the Raiden Shogun story quests.

Raiden Shogun: This is the puppet that Ei made to handle day to day affairs in the real world while Ei is in Euthymia. She's who you met initially during the Inazuma plot during Thomas's trial, up until Ei dragged you into Euthymia with her.

Public image is that the electro archon is the same person throughout time because Ei never announced her sister's death. She just resumed business as usual.

And that's why Raiden appears to have 5 different names.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I knew kusanali was going to be tiny.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oh gently caress OFF.

I hate this stupid brat so much, oh my lord.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
they should at least change her name so she's not associated with a guy who shows his dick to flight attendants irl

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
they should delete her from the goddamn game

how do I get her stupid commissions almost every single day (that, or Urgent Repairs, the single worst commission in the game) and yet i've been playing since week one and gotten "Whispers in the Wind" ONCE.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the hosed up meat she gives you pisses me off. let me delete that

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh gently caress OFF.

I hate this stupid brat so much, oh my lord.

The way this game handles NPC continuity conflicts is so dumb.

Just let them be in two places at once, who loving cares????

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

at this point i've basically just accepted its probably load-bearing code or something they can't easily replace without causing a million other issues bc coding is a nightmare :v:

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

i've been playing since week one and gotten "Whispers in the Wind" ONCE.

:same:

I don't think I've seen an achievement related commission in Monstadt in more than a month.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I finished the whispers in the wind achievement a few months back but still haven't finished the "tales of winter" one, which I'm sure I've done more than 3 times now but who knows which option I'm consistently not picking lol. If I ever finish that one I'm totally done with Mondstadt though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Radical posted:

I think the reason all these gacha arts leaked is because they're going to be posting them on twitter soon since the patch should be soon as well

I assume it's queued up for Friday which should be the Livestream

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Seelies absolutely drag you through mobs of monsters for their own enjoyment, and they talk poo poo about it later

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
They prefer to call it "trials of courage".

Kale
May 14, 2010

Of course they had to randomly put the stream on a Saturday instead of the Friday like usual when I'm off cause of Canada Day. Oh well, I never get to see any livestream stuff actually live anyway so makes sense honestly. It'll let me skip past the banter to the good bits.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mihoyo please you are making kusanali into a gremlin with the same ears as klee and have klee on a banner a few patches away from her release. Make them play nice together and then release a water gremlin for them

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The new Sumeru characters:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I guess there's gonna be a lot of hobbit holes in Sumeru?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like the catgirl.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Lmao at how loving pale the archon is for a nation thats supposed to be upper Africa/the middle east inspired

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

The new Sumeru characters:

im saving up for third from the left

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mix. posted:

Lmao at how loving pale the archon is for a nation thats supposed to be upper Africa/the middle east inspired

1) Forest sumerians are pale
2) desert people are tan, cat girl is so far the only person from the desert section of sumeru
3) Sumeru also heavily represents India

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Continually whelmed by all the Sumerus. Most of them feel like one of those genshin OCs that pop up on twitter once in a while.

Catgirl is ok

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

To be clear I dont hate her design i just think its kinda funny how she looks like shes glowing compared to the others bc of how pale she is :v:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

big ear guy looks way too much like a ni no kuni character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

putting the Archon of Boring next to dripped-out Dori seems cruel tbh

still mixed on the more ecletic aspects of Tig's design and i feel like they really hosed up Collei's hair at minimum, to say nothing of the weird outfit. but Al looks great and the other new ladies are solid.