Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So my HD598s have given up the ghost finally, one of my speakers have blown out and I've had them for 5 plus years, grabbing them for cheap on Black Friday one year, Anything similiar to 598s reccomended nowadays? In retrosepct I got the 598s for 99$ on Amazon during Black Friday so around that pricepoint would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

So my HD598s have given up the ghost finally, one of my speakers have blown out and I've had them for 5 plus years, grabbing them for cheap on Black Friday one year, Anything similiar to 598s reccomended nowadays? In retrosepct I got the 598s for 99$ on Amazon during Black Friday so around that pricepoint would be ideal.
560S or 58X, a bit more expensive but they're direct upgrades to the 598s.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Fat_Cow posted:

Also check to see if there's a hair stuck in your headphones! I thought I blew out my 555s and there was just a dog hair that had needled its way into the membrane that was rattling around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Drop HD6XX is what was recommended to me and I'm very happy with them. I think they were like $120 with a coupon or so.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
was there ever a consensus on 6XX vs 58X or is the consensus just “if you care enough to ask us about it, you should probably have both you nerd”?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

was there ever a consensus on 6XX vs 58X or is the consensus just “if you care enough to ask us about it, you should probably have both you nerd”?

I thought it was 6XX if you plan on using an amp, 58X if you don't

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ok Comboomer posted:

I own both. If you stay off headfi, either one is a good choice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I owned the actual 580 and now own the 650. For me, the 650 has a touch more low end, nowhere in the realm of bass boost but the 580 felt a bit anemic there. Both are good though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ok Comboomer posted:

What I've always seen is get the 6XX if you can afford it, else the 58X is fine.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Have you checked into the hd599's? I picked up a pair on prime day last year for 99$

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got some stupid expensive replacement cables for my ER4s since for the price the included cable build quality is dogshit, and surprisingly I think maybe they sound better? Am I crazy? I'm probably crazy. I got the Null Audio Lune somethingorother, so at least I can use them on a daily basis and not have some cheap rubber parts of the cable start to fall apart.

njsykora posted:

What I've always seen is get the 6XX if you can afford it, else the 58X is fine.

This is what I've seen as well (I don't have any experience with the 58X, loved my 6XX)

Fingat posted:

Have you checked into the hd599's? I picked up a pair on prime day last year for 99$

This was going to be my first suggestion. I went from a 555 to my 6XX though and it was a huge and noticeable upgrade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're willing to move away from Sennheiser you could also get the Hifiman/Drop HE-X4 which is currently on sale for $99.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dogen posted:

I got some stupid expensive replacement cables for my ER4s since for the price the included cable build quality is dogshit, and surprisingly I think maybe they sound better? Am I crazy? I'm probably crazy. I got the Null Audio Lune somethingorother, so at least I can use them on a daily basis and not have some cheap rubber parts of the cable start to fall apart.

I'm looking for a spare cable that fits the ER2XR if either you or anyone else has any recommendations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Passburger posted:

I'm looking for a spare cable that fits the ER2XR if either you or anyone else has any recommendations.

The big reason that I picked Null Audio is they have the weird notch thing that etymotic adds to their MMCX connections. Far as I could tell the only other option was “buy the same lovely cables the IEMs came with,” which would have been about half as much money but I assume they would have crapped out on me again in 18 months.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Passburger posted:

https://www.lunashops.com/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Passburger posted:

I bought this one recently because I wanted a balanced cable for my ER2XR: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114776269638

The cable is fairly stiff, and it doesn't have the little notches on the mmcx connectors, but it has worked great anyways for the price. Oh, wait, they are $25 now, when I got it I only paid $15, but I still think $25 is a decent price compared to what Ety charges for their own cables.

Lunashops ones are good as well, probably better off going with one of theirs in the $30 range I suppose.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

This has to be one of the worst looking websites I've seen in a long time

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah honestly i just buy through their aliexpress store, unclear why their website is stuck in 2006

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Quick follow up with the Beats Fit Pro for a week. Basically, these things rule and are a superior Airpods Pro with dramatic stability and confidence with them staying in. The ANC is exactly the same as the Airpods Pro (not where why rtings rated them the way they did, I've got both and can do a direct comparison) and the battery life is dramatically superior. If you can deal with them not having wireless charging, they are a clear upgrade. I love 'em!

Best Beats product...ever, really.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Buds Pro update after using them on a plane, train, airport etc.

The ANC is less useless than I thought. While it's not super effective especially in the mid-upper range, it's just enough, together with some minimal physical isolation, to make it possible to drown out the background at reasonable volumes.

They don't want to stay in my ears very well and I have to adjust often to maintain the seal and prevent them from falling out. The smaller/bigger eartips don't seem to improve things much.

Which only highlights the biggest issue for me, with the touch controls. Any time I need to adjust the fit, there's a 70% chance of unintentionally activating the pass-through mode or stopping the playback. Really dumb and annoying. It's possible to disable the controls so that's probably the only way to deal with this.

Dogen posted:

Which cable did you end up getting? I asked about ER4P cable replacement earlier but ended up not ordering anything due to :effort: lol.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 29, 2022

Dogen
May 5, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Which cable did you end up getting? I asked about ER4P cable replacement earlier but ended up not ordering anything due to :effort: lol.

https://www.null-audio.com/products/lune-series-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones

Yeah they’re expensive but I don’t want to have to replace them constantly and I use them every day. I figure if they last 3-4 years I’ll have gotten my money’s worth compared to buying a couple or three replacement cables from Etymotics based on how quickly my first cable died. Also it was the only place that had a cable that had the stupid Etymotic notch that wasn’t on aliexpress.

They have cheaper cable, as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

https://www.null-audio.com/products/lune-series-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones

Yeah they’re expensive but I don’t want to have to replace them constantly and I use them every day. I figure if they last 3-4 years I’ll have gotten my money’s worth compared to buying a couple or three replacement cables from Etymotics based on how quickly my first cable died. Also it was the only place that had a cable that had the stupid Etymotic notch that wasn’t on aliexpress.

They have cheaper cable, as well.

Oof and I thought the $50 cable I found was expensive :v: The OEM one lasted like 10 years probably, not daily usage but still a decent amount. It's also the older two-pin connector so I think there's fewer options for it nowadays.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just get all my IEM cables from China now and they're great. This is what I'd recommend:
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/accesories/products/tripowin-noire?variant=42202929561817

Or something equivalent.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Come on dudes, don't buy loving hundred plus dollar cables. I mean I guess if you really want some man-jewelry but don't expect any sonic differences.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

redeyes posted:

Come on dudes, don't buy loving hundred plus dollar cables. I mean I guess if you really want some man-jewelry but don't expect any sonic differences.

I bought it, as previously noted, for build quality reasons, not expecting any sonic differences, but finding a little, which I think can be attributed to a slightly better seal in the ear due to the way the they're built- a bit longer where you connect the drivers, so you can REALLY jam them down in your earholes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can guarantee you that spending more money on a cable does not buy you a more durable cable.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can guarantee you that spending more money on a cable does not buy you a more durable cable.

This is a really weird thing to say? Sure spending more money on a cable doesn't guarantee you a more durable cable but nobody's saying that? You can absolutely spend more money on a cable and get a better-built cable, and it's very reasonable to do in the right circumstances?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah it’s definitely better than the piece of poo poo stock cable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sorry, that was vague. I mean that a $20 cable from tripowin or lunashops is generally not less durable than a $150 cable from whatever boutique. I just don't think there's a reason to spend that kind of money on a cable except for aesthetics.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Excited to see what Moondrop can do with a headphone

https://twitter.com/MoondropLab/status/1542484615008604161

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My friend used to buy Monster cables because they had a lifetime no questions asked replacements policy and he put a lot of use on them. I think as long as you know what you're paying the extra money for and actually getting value from that then go ahead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

101 posted:

It looks like it’s a planar, which would be interesting if they want to go against Hifiman in the budget planar space.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's Harmonicdyne, Thieaudio and now Moondrop all releasing shiny new planars or announcing them.

Probably going to come down to price points and build features.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I hope it's not another Sendy Aiva situation where the same OEM pumps out the same headphone with different branding for four different companies

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I doubt it, for starters Moondrop own their own factory so are probably making theirs all in-house. We’ll at least know more tomorrow, I think their YouTube announcement thing is in 9 hours.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've been really impressed with the Aria and the B2: Dusk and I've been wanting to try a planar.

Haven't heard the best thing about Hifiman's QC so fingers crossed for some competition in the sub $1000 price range

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

I hella don’t need these but I’m super interested

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress it all the drivers.
https://twitter.com/moondroplab/status/1542808341474574338

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These are gonna be hella expensive aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

These are gonna be hella expensive aren't they?

From Reddit with some nice pictures:

Moondrop MoonZero (electrostatic headphone): $999.99

Estimated release: 20th October 2022

Moondrop Venus (planar headphone): $599.99

Estimated release: 1st August 2022

Moondrop Void (dynamic driver headphone): $199.99

Estimated release: 30th July 2022