Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

It's him saying to himself he never wanted to fight Edelgard which feels like whitewashing to me. When the guy before clearly does not like the Hresvelgs, why would he care about finally being able to get rid of them?

He only ever cared about power. When he saw that her family was a threat to his power he moved against them and was quite happy to turn her into a tool to further his own power. He would have loved nothing more then to have Edelgard take over the continent and be the second most powerful person in Fodlan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, Lorenz's dad's murder of Claude's uncle and Raphael's parents actually being a big accident according to this game is more than a bit silly
doesnt the paralogue go out of its way to be like "wait, why the gently caress would he have ordered them to attack merchants in the first place, that's completely stupid. Both from a moral and economic standpoint. Are you sure it was him?" We never see Lorenz actually confront his dad about whether the messenger was legit and it was a case of miscommunication or if they were an impostor hired by someone like Acheron to gently caress with things (because Raphael tells him to knock it off and leave it alone), but it's certainly implied that his dad didn't actually give that order.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

doesnt the paralogue go out of its way to be like "wait, why the gently caress would he have ordered them to attack merchants in the first place, that's completely stupid. Both from a moral and economic standpoint. Are you sure it was him?" We never see Lorenz actually confront his dad about whether the messenger was legit and it was a case of miscommunication or if they were an impostor hired by someone like Acheron to gently caress with things (because Raphael tells him to knock it off and leave it alone), but it's certainly implied that his dad didn't actually give that order.

I think the implication in Three Houses is that Count Gloucester is trying to intimidate merchants to stay out of Riegan and do more business in Gloucester to strengthen his position in the Alliance, and that he used it as cover to assassinate Claude's uncle. It has been a while for me though, and Three Houses doesn't really follow up on it either

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaziken386 posted:

No, they explicitly say that his dad was behind the whole scheme but didn't give the go-ahead to do the dumb 'run monsters into people' plan. That was someone lower down. But he was behind the plan to 'attack' merchants with deniable mercenaries to force them through his lands for economic reasons. They weren't supposed to necessarily kill most people though, just scare them. The mercenaries themselves came up with the idea to run groups of monsters into the merchants instead and it got signed off on by a lower level functionary. And everyone was fine with this until the inevitable happened and Count Reigen and a bunch of merchants got completely slaughtered.

But the scene ends with Lorenz and Ignatz absolutely still blaming Lorenz's dad for it. because he set the whole thing in motion and was ultimately responsible even if he didn't explicitly say 'you should kill those people'.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Trying to avoid plot spoilers but I don't think the tutorial really touched on it-- is there anything crest-based going on in terms of "full power" vs. "partial power" if you're doing cross-crest equips, or is it just a binary "if they have a crest they can use a relic without taking damage" deal?

As far as I can tell it's just a "you'll take damage if you don't have the right crest" but yeah I don't know for sure either. Relics also have the "upgrade at the blacksmith to unlock the full power" thing so they have a lot going on (well, two things)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

same as in three houses

-correct crest: you can do the special combat art
-incorrect crest: you can hold it and smack people with it free of charge
-no crest: oof ouch my bones

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kanos posted:

During the Holst/Balthus/Hilda paralogue, at one point Hilda gets ambushed and surrounded by a bunch of enemies. Holst puts on this incredible mock horror voice(ProZD knocked it out of the park here), bemoaning "No! My darling sister is in danger! She....wait....they really only sent that many men after her? Nevermind, she'll be fine." And then Hilda kills all of them while grousing about it.

That whole paralogue rules and is just a slow rolling boulder of the enemies realizing they supremely hosed up.

*Holst turns up and starts murdering*
"Oh god Holst is here?! Quick, kill Balthus!"
*Balthus starts effortlessly murdernig*
"What the gently caress this Balthus guy is too strong! Quick, grab the girl so we can bargain out of this!"
*Hilda proceeds to body dozens of assassins with no effort*
"WHO ARE THESE loving PEOPLE?!" :stonk:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Sydin posted:

That whole paralogue rules and is just a slow rolling boulder of the enemies realizing they supremely hosed up.

*Holst turns up and starts murdering*
"Oh god Holst is here?! Quick, kill Balthus!"
*Balthus starts effortlessly murdernig*
"What the gently caress this Balthus guy is too strong! Quick, grab the girl so we can bargain out of this!"
*Hilda proceeds to body dozens of assassins with no effort*
"WHO ARE THESE loving PEOPLE?!" :stonk:

its so great :allears:
it's essentially this, but in game form

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Claude was correct to have Randolf die and in fact should have murdered him himself

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Side mission: pursue Lu Buyleth.

Ok, I have Pegasus Knight Petra with a warrior special charged right next to her and nothing else vulnerable to lances, I guess I can spare a few moments.
*Warrior special tinks for about 15%/20% hp*

More than I expected honestly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My biggest complaints when comparing this game and Age of Calamity:

The giant monsters/bosses in this game are massively disappointing compared to the big bosses in HW. Fighting a Hynox or a Lynel for the first time was a massive undertaking in AoC and felt appropriately epic but the first monster you fight here is both too early and wayyyyyyyy too easy, and to be honest I still have yet to meet an enemy that really feels appropriately challenging, aside from the optional Byleth fight in an early mission (which I still managed to beat without anyone dying because I didn’t know it was optional or that it would be that much of a beast). I think the combination of showing the attack areas and the armor breaking trivializes them. in fact I’ve had more instances where my problem getting a monster kill was that I accidentally killed the final general while fighting it than I have monsters where I had to actually fight.

Also it feels like there are significantly fewer maps. I’m sure the source material for AoC made it much easier to make maps since they could take environments straight from BotW but in that game pretty much every story mission had a unique map, which added up very quickly since there were 20 story missions, but here it seems like even the end of chapter fights and paralogues might have repeated maps.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure AoC's much more detailed and intensive stages are part of why it runs like rear end and this game doesn't

Also I appreciate that the monsters here are pretty quick and easy because I still have flashbacks to the Imprisoned in vanilla Hyrule Warriors

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zore posted:

No, they explicitly say that his dad was behind the whole scheme but didn't give the go-ahead to do the dumb 'run monsters into people' plan. That was someone lower down. But he was behind the plan to 'attack' merchants with deniable mercenaries to force them through his lands for economic reasons. They weren't supposed to necessarily kill most people though, just scare them. The mercenaries themselves came up with the idea to run groups of monsters into the merchants instead and it got signed off on by a lower level functionary. And everyone was fine with this until the inevitable happened and Count Reigen and a bunch of merchants got completely slaughtered.

But the scene ends with Lorenz and Ignatz absolutely still blaming Lorenz's dad for it. because he set the whole thing in motion and was ultimately responsible even if he didn't explicitly say 'you should kill those people'.

The impression I got from the Three Hopes scene was "Slithers did it but Count Gloucester was never going to say that because it would make him look stupid and also because noblesse oblige means it's his responsibility either way." Nobody actually mentioned the Slitherers; I just kind of wound up assuming that because they're the go-to for mysterious poo poo like that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Point in Three Hopes’ favor: I never stop being shocked at how fast things load. every single time I finish adjusting my team before a battle and hit start and jump right in I’m like “uh how’d that happen so quickly”

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure AoC's much more detailed and intensive stages are part of why it runs like rear end and this game doesn't

Also I appreciate that the monsters here are pretty quick and easy because I still have flashbacks to the Imprisoned in vanilla Hyrule Warriors

Yeah I imagine a lot of the assets they used were probably not meant to be used that much (especially the enemies) and there’s only so much you can optimize before you’re like “well there’s nothing more I can do”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My favorite part of Three Hopes from a technical standpoint is that it runs at uncapped FPS and there are a couple places like the tower in the top corner of the base where there's enough off screen that the game suddenly jumps up to like 60 FPS. Whenever they get this running on Yuzu it's going to be glorious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rand Brittain posted:

The impression I got from the Three Hopes scene was "Slithers did it but Count Gloucester was never going to say that because it would make him look stupid and also because noblesse oblige means it's his responsibility either way." Nobody actually mentioned the Slitherers; I just kind of wound up assuming that because they're the go-to for mysterious poo poo like that.

I don't really see a reason why the Agarthans would be involved. It makes a lot more sense if it's just some ambitious underling who decided to goose the mercenaries into doing something he thought would put him in the Count's good books for his initiative. Gloucester has famously rocky relations with Riegan so some random mid-level functionary might think "hey if I come up with a plan to gently caress over Riegan the Count might reward me". Once the plan went to poo poo Erwin is left holding the bag because the mercenaries are his overall responsibility even if he didn't give them the orders to endanger civilians, so he punished the mercenaries and then buried the truth of the matter because "accidental assassination of a rival house member with a bunch of collateral damage" is an incredibly bad look for House Gloucester.

Even if Erwin didn't order it, it's still a net "Erwin hugely sucks", because what happened is his responsibility and instead of paying restitution or admitting fault he tried to silence the witnesses and bury the evidence.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Question, if a class has two prerequisites (e.g. bishop and warlock both leading to gremory) is that an AND or an OR?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Question, if a class has two prerequisites (e.g. bishop and warlock both leading to gremory) is that an AND or an OR?

OR

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shez’s B support with Rodrigue is wonderful. i want the DLC to be a giant snowball fight!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The giant monsters in this game are basically damage sponges and class checks. Its annoying when one shows up at the end and its weaknesses dont match the characters you brought, because you had no idea

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah. I like that these monsters encourage you to use a couple different weapon types, but they're still straightforward and you have some flexibility because of the elemental weakness. I wouldn't want monsters to make everything come to a screeching halt and force me to deal with a weird gimmick. The Imprisoned was the worst but I didn't enjoy any of those giant bosses.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

mabels big day posted:

The giant monsters in this game are basically damage sponges and class checks. Its annoying when one shows up at the end and its weaknesses dont match the characters you brought, because you had no idea

More evidence of Hapi's superiority.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bruceski posted:

...I knew I was taking it kinda slow but I'm only in Chapter 7? That explains why I was surprised we weren't building toward some sort of endgame yet. I think I assumed the chapter count didn't reset after the Prologue.

I was wrong, it DOES keep chapter headings after the Prologue. I just haven't done much.

The plot in this game is dense. I don't think there's been a "filler battle" in any of the main ones and they really use them to tell the story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

It's him saying to himself he never wanted to fight Edelgard which feels like whitewashing to me. When the guy before clearly does not like the Hresvelgs, why would he care about finally being able to get rid of them?

You're reading it backwards. (Scarlet Blaze chapter 13 I think?) He's the dude who spearheaded the insurrection, crippling Edelgard's father and sending all his kids to the Slitherer torture dungeon from which only Edelgard emerged. He's telling himself he totally wouldn't usurp her if she just gave him a chance, when this is demonstrably untrue. Dude views himself as the victim because he thinks facing consequences for his own actions is persecution.

You're being far to charitable if you're reading that at face value and thinking it's sympathetic. Dude's a craven piece of poo poo who won't even own that he's a villain; he's beneath Thales and Rhea who will at least freely rant about humans being stupid worthless animals when cornered.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Eimi posted:

More evidence of Hapi's superiority.

I haven't gotten Hapi yet (I don't even know if she's available for GD). I take it she still has her effective damage to monsters skill?

Hapi rules

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I just went fishing yesterday with my dad, asking Jeralt on an expedition about his plans for the future and having him say, "I just want to share a drink and go fishing with my kid." hit me right where I live.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So, finished Scarlet Blaze yesterday (it was v. good) and wanted to hop on Golden Wildfire tonight, but didn't realize just how much carried over from NG+.

I can apparently freely field god-tier Shez and other units I recruited on my first run, who easily and comically outclass everyone else, even if they're technically scaled back down to level 1.

Should I hop back and just start a regular New Game, or is there some way to edit what I have access to? If it was just the classes, I'd gently caress around and find new classes and try to be appropriate to what I ought to have access to, but I can also apparently field Edelgard and Hubert and other Beagle-specific characters, too. Which, honestly, just bothers me.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
One thing I dislike about the split between Haus/Hope is Monica. Like, in Hopes Edel was all "wait, the planets aligned and I can save Monica... let's do it" which is all fine and good, but afterwards the game paints her as second only to Hubert in terms of handiness, basically taking care of all the not-sinister-schemes stuff. And I feel like Edelgard would be a lot more miffed about losing her then and being forced to deal with the Slithes retrospectively.

Monica is to good

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

One thing I dislike about the split between Haus/Hope is Monica. Like, in Hopes Edel was all "wait, the planets aligned and I can save Monica... let's do it" which is all fine and good, but afterwards the game paints her as second only to Hubert in terms of handiness, basically taking care of all the not-sinister-schemes stuff.

She's seems like she's just Edelgard's personal aide/secretary, which is a role that would be weird to give to one of the other students in the house because none of the other Black Eagles would be suited to it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gamerofthegame posted:

One thing I dislike about the split between Haus/Hope is Monica. Like, in Hopes Edel was all "wait, the planets aligned and I can save Monica... let's do it" which is all fine and good, but afterwards the game paints her as second only to Hubert in terms of handiness, basically taking care of all the not-sinister-schemes stuff. And I feel like Edelgard would be a lot more miffed about losing her then and being forced to deal with the Slithes retrospectively.

Monica is to good

I mean she grows into that role during the war, she wasn't Edel's secretary before she got kidnapped.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would not be entirely unfair to say that Monica is Edelgard's stalker who gets rationalized into being her secretary after she turns out to be extremely good at all the jobs she keeps appropriating unto herself. A little unfair, yes (in particular because Hubert really only avoids looking like a stalker because he inherited a hereditary role as her second-in-command... even if he killed a man to get it).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is it just me or is Lorenz's unique passive absolutely busted? It charges so absurdly fast, autoblocks the majority of all attacks, and can just be used as a really good offensive cyclone to extend combos or create pressure. I feel like I should be hearing more people sing its praises. I'm trying to come up with even one good reason I shouldn't give Lorenz the merc whistle so Shez can use this busted rear end skill

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Is it just me or is Lorenz's unique passive absolutely busted? It charges so absurdly fast, autoblocks the majority of all attacks, and can just be used as a really good offensive cyclone to extend combos or create pressure. I feel like I should be hearing more people sing its praises. I'm trying to come up with even one good reason I shouldn't give Lorenz the merc whistle so Shez can use this busted rear end skill

Ferdinand and Sylvain's are basically about as busted is my only counterpoint. They're head and shoulders above almost everyone else though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah all the "default" cavs have absolutely ridiculously broken unique abilities.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

mabels big day posted:

Because Holst's skill is just as hilariously busted and substantially funnier to use.

Though yeah Lorenz is SSS tier.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rand Brittain posted:

It would not be entirely unfair to say that Monica is Edelgard's stalker who gets rationalized into being her secretary after she turns out to be extremely good at all the jobs she keeps appropriating unto herself. A little unfair, yes (in particular because Hubert really only avoids looking like a stalker because he inherited a hereditary role as her second-in-command... even if he killed a man to get it).

Hubert and Edelgard also met each other when they were quite young given Vestra's unique situation as basically a direct vassal of the Hresvelg's despite being a major house.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, what exactly is Maddening difficulty like?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

So, what exactly is Maddening difficulty like?

Just from a few tests: much higher enemy level and damage and they are way more aggressive, even the peons.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah mainly just levels; the main issue is that the game doesn’t scale your income to the new levels and anybody you didn’t play starts at level 1.

It’s mostly an issue in the defensive side, since having more hp is pretty significant, defense to a lesser extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkIO-S6k0RY

I’m used to them dancing around the subject up until the point you S-rank them so was kinda a surprise to see a character just say they’re bi lol