Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’m thinking of going to Commandfest Montreal. What would be fun as a noob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would bring your favorite decks, and an untouched or slightly buffed Precon.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’m thinking of going to Commandfest Montreal. What would be fun as a noob?

I’ll be there. Bring a precon basically you’ll always find games to play.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Balon posted:

I’ll be there. Bring a precon basically you’ll always find games to play.

I got a precon and my own two janky decks. I’ll probably be there Sunday only. Got work Friday and a ttrpg game Saturday.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don’t ever want to dogpile anyone in Magic, much less a woman in magic, but this person sucks and shouldn’t be on the CAG

https://twitter.com/thekristenemily/status/1542458869460393985?s=21&t=HW4zfoY4mCURdkiNT_f2ew

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

BREAKING NEWS: STAX PLAYER IS A DICKHEAD

sports after the break

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why does she suck? That's like the entire purpose of stax effects and she's using them correctly.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
combos with stasis

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Shortest Path posted:

Why does she suck? That's like the entire purpose of stax effects and she's using them correctly.

Because she’s complaining that people won’t leave her commander alone and play the game a turn slower the way she wants. It’s like the most toxic commander attitude, the “everyone plays too fast! I wanna play 2012 battlecruiser but everyone is being a big mean doodiehead!” and it just sucks and gives “casual” even more of a bad name, IMO.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don’t ever want to dogpile anyone in Magic, much less a woman in magic, but this person sucks and shouldn’t be on the CAG

Based on what I've seen from the rest of them she seems like a great fit

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Because she’s complaining that people won’t leave her commander alone and play the game a turn slower the way she wants. It’s like the most toxic commander attitude, the “everyone plays too fast! I wanna play 2012 battlecruiser but everyone is being a big mean doodiehead!” and it just sucks and gives “casual” even more of a bad name, IMO.

I think you are very severely misinterpreting her tweet lmao

She's poking fun at people for reactionary threat assessment and wasting premium removal on something which doesn't actually hurt them that much because it feels bad, rather than saving it for relevant threats when they don't play much removal.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

She's poking fun at people for reactionary threat assessment and wasting premium removal on something which doesn't actually hurt them that much because it feels bad, when they don't play much removal and therefore aren't saving it for relevant threats.

This is the person who has complained, at length, that commander is too fast for her angel tribal deck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

She's poking fun at people for reactionary threat assessment and wasting premium removal on something which doesn't actually hurt them that much because it feels bad, rather than saving it for relevant threats when they don't play much removal.

… what if I can’t cast my removal on the game ending threat because my 3rd land came into play tapped and now I have to forestall my entire game plan and hold up removal in the hopes that I am guessing correctly? That’s WAY more likely, IMO!

Lands coming into play loving sucks, Root Maze is a cEDH staple for a good reason! It doesn’t just slow the game down, it fundamentally changes how the entire game is played. Unfucking my mana will ALWAYS be worth a removal spell, IMO.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah that'd be the prime target for removal with any group I play with, just immediately

Especially because it's only opponents stuff that enters tapped. Lol gently caress outta here with that

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That Thalia isn't THAT backbreaking. She's good, for sure, but I wouldn't see her as KOS worthy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Paging Toshimo to the thread to see if that Thalia is one of the cards to play in order to play Commander the correct way.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
But what if Thalia holds down the bigger threat from coming down because the other guy's third land came in tapped?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Heath posted:

But what if Thalia holds down the bigger threat from coming down because the other guy's third land came in tapped?

Look pal I didn’t sleeve up 35 lands that don’t come into play tapped just so they’d come into play tapped.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Threat assessment in commander is a complex thing with a whole bunch of factors including hidden information in other players' hands and decks. She's provided none of the context we need to judge whether her fellow players were mistaken, but she's happy to talk poo poo from a position of authority in the community. It's bad form, imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
CAG members who promote the format through their content and their pleasant demeanor and their inviting others into the format is great! Jim, Rachel, Josh, Olivia all do that!

Shivam gets on my nerves but has demonstrated contrition in the past for talking poo poo on cEDH and spreads overall more love than hate.

Kristen literally just complains, IMO, her entire Commander social media presence is just complaining that the format is too fast and everyone plays good cards. It’s just a lovely outlook.

Eli is a good writer but I unfollowed her on Twitter because she’s kind of a bummer.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

… what if I can’t cast my removal on the game ending threat because my 3rd land came into play tapped and now I have to forestall my entire game plan and hold up removal in the hopes that I am guessing correctly? That’s WAY more likely, IMO!

Lands coming into play loving sucks, Root Maze is a cEDH staple for a good reason! It doesn’t just slow the game down, it fundamentally changes how the entire game is played. Unfucking my mana will ALWAYS be worth a removal spell, IMO.
I almost never remove symmetric (or at least ones that affect 3/4 of the players) mana-fuckers because they are slowing everyone else down too, and someone else will usually remove it for me, saving me the mana and the card. Also I'm the jerk who's playing them in the first place.

IMO it's only worth removing if A) you're the beatdown at the table, even after taking the tempo and card loss of blowing removal on an inconvenience, or B) one player has become archenemy and speeding up the other two players (even at the personal tempo loss) is going to do a better job of stopping them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That tweet doesn't say anything you're claiming it says.

Bust Rodd Bust Rodding again

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

Look pal I didn’t sleeve up 35 lands that don’t come into play tapped just so they’d come into play tapped.

So you're mad because you're getting slowed down and you act on it by making unwise decisions with your removal, and are exactly the person she's complaining about, then

Honestly if you're the one who bites the bullet for the table and uses your removal on Thalia, then you've let Thalia put you personally at an even bigger disadvantage than the rest of the table

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Thalia comes out, tapping those lands, someone gets annoyed and uses a removal. I counter it because it's funny.

I then use my grouphug deck to give everyone a +1/+1 counter and a treasure, because winning isn't why I play.

:smug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

syntaxfunction posted:

Thalia comes out, tapping those lands, someone gets annoyed and uses a removal. I counter it because it's funny.

I then use my grouphug deck to give everyone a +1/+1 counter and a treasure, because winning isn't why I play.

Give us your Kwain decklist

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

syntaxfunction posted:

Lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Heath posted:

So you're mad because you're getting slowed down and you act on it by making unwise decisions with your removal, and are exactly the person she's complaining about, then

Honestly if you're the one who bites the bullet for the table and uses your removal on Thalia, then you've let Thalia put you personally at an even bigger disadvantage than the rest of the table

Blanketly assuming the game is actually better for everyone because we have less mana and can do fewer things is stupid.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

Blanketly assuming the game is actually better for everyone because we have less mana and can do fewer things is stupid.

It isn't better for everyone, it's better for the person playing the stax. That's the point of it. Stax stuff is almost never actually a threat, it's just slowing you down, so you get annoyed with it and start wasting removal on a Thalia that could be saved for better targets.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s the kind of thinking that feeds games to midrange Stax decks. “I’m actually helping you! It’s GOOD that no one can do anything!” is the eternal mantra of every Stax player and even when it happens to be true it doesn’t make it less of a defense. Sometimes the correct move is the get rid of the Stax piece and go for it! Heuristics don’t really work for gameplay, they work for deckbuilding. Once the game begins, there are simply too many variables in a given game or board state to just shrug and say “it’s correct to leave the Stax piece in play and hold up removal for something else”

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No one on the other end is saying it's "good" to be staxed out, just that it is dumb to get aggressive and throw out your removal for it. The smart play is to talk someone else into doing it, or else demand something from the rest of the table, because you are always going to be at a disadvantage by being the one to pull the trigger.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Play cards you like, remove cards you don't. It ain't rocket science. If you're always waiting for the right time you'll be that person that beats a final boss with like five million buffing items because "I might need it later".

Also personally I just offer to go down on someone to not play an annoying card, works pretty well.

Seriously tho, I don't really understand the problem. Stax slows you and Thalia is meant to provoke you to waste removal instead of saving for more important things. So wouldn't doing that be good for the Stax player? This is the game. People play cards, and if you don't like it then remove it. And if Thalia gets removed and that's dumb then cool, Thalia player is now in a better position? Why would you complain that you bait your opponents into doing something optimal for you?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Stax is actually good and fun, and sometimes just necessary. Played a game vs someone who was drawing 3+ cards every orbit, and Rule of Law meant he couldn't combo off and was discarding a bunch of cards.

I also think that land destruction is neat, and punishing non basics is actually really important. There should be a cost for playing 4+ colors

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thom Yorke raps posted:

There should be a cost for playing 4+ colors

yeah it's $450 :madmax:

i love my mogis deck but i wanna figure out how to make it faster, someone mentioned nekusar for tri color and it seems cool, but the general direction with that commander is to go wheels. i suppose when i start stacking on furnace of rath and stuff the damage gets wild though

i think meta i'd be after with nekusar is keeping myself less of an archenemy by allowing people to draw their win cons faster in exchange for life and then occasionally edging out not-4th lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Stax is actually good and fun, and sometimes just necessary. Played a game vs someone who was drawing 3+ cards every orbit, and Rule of Law meant he couldn't combo off and was discarding a bunch of cards.

I also think that land destruction is neat, and punishing non basics is actually really important. There should be a cost for playing 4+ colors

The cost for playing 4+ color goodstuff is everyone else thinking that you're a boring rear end in a top hat (and they're right!!!!)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Silhouette posted:

The cost for playing 4+ color goodstuff is everyone else thinking that you're a boring rear end in a top hat (and they're right!!!!)

Back on MTGO I put Ruination into every commander deck, even mutilcolored ones, just cuz it hits the rich kids twice as hard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Paging Toshimo to the thread to see if that Thalia is one of the cards to play in order to play Commander the correct way.

There is only 1 card required to play Commander the correct way:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

Now this I can get behind

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

:hmmyes:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

My friends love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
As a non-cEDH player, my best guess for what that tweet is supposed to mean is this:

If I knew nothing about an opponent's deck and they played Thalia, I'd want to kill it ASAP before my mana gets hosed with even further.

I think that she is playing a "fair" deck. Not stax, just something like an aggro deck where she uses Thalia and stuff like that to slow the opponents down long enough to (hopefully) beat down and get value with equipments and stuff. I have a mono-white deck like that; it doesn't play Thalia but it does play other hatebears to slow down the opponents and hold swords. She thinks that her opponents are being stupid for wasting their good removal spells and not saving them for other creatures that are more threatening in that context, like Mirran Crusader or some poo poo. But, at least some of the time, I'd bet what's going on is: her opponents who haven't seen this deck before don't know that her deck isn't stax. They think that the next thing to follow might be Winter Orb or something. So they see Thalia as one piece of a potentially very difficult-to-break lock, and therefore an extremely high-value target. She only sees this as a misplay because she does not understand that stax is a thing and it's a threat to her opponents.

But I'm not 100% sure that's what she means. If her deck IS heavy on stax, then she's an idiot for not understanding her own deck. If she is playing aggro and her opponents know she isn't playing stax, then she is maybe kinda right but still being an rear end in a top hat about it.

So she's either being an idiot for not understanding that stax is a strategy that exists, an idiot for not understanding the value of her own deck's cards, or just being an rear end in a top hat going "nyah nyah i won, you suck". I cannot think of an interpretation of her words that is more charitable than that.